ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12970756)
I think the assholes who made this show know as much about Star Trek as the assholes who made Signs knew about working farms.

LMAO

mnchiefsguy 07-24-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12970532)
You and I are Trek fans so we could discuss it, hate it, yet still end up liking the new series.

But good ****ing grief.

The casting might be right. The visuals might be right.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions until story reveals itself.

But everything feels wrong.

I just don't get it.

I agree. I will watch it (at least the first few episodes) because I like Trek.... but something seems way off with this. I have very low expectations.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12971236)
I agree. I will watch it (at least the first few episodes) because I like Trek.... but something seems way off with this. I have very low expectations.

I'll only watch the pilot.

I'm not paying $5.99 for 5 months straight to watch this garbage, especially when x-US, it'll be on Netflix.

Frazod 07-24-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12971257)
I'll only watch the pilot.

I'm not paying $5.99 for 5 months straight to watch this garbage, especially when x-US, it'll be on Netflix.

THIS

Buehler445 07-24-2017 10:20 PM

x-US meaning outside the US?

Seriously? If so **** CBS with a ****ing hammer.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12972302)
x-US meaning outside the US?

Seriously? If so **** CBS with a ****ing hammer.

Yes, my apologies.

I was working and fell back into biz speak.

Buehler445 07-24-2017 10:56 PM

NP

Seriously though. **** CBS.

RealSNR 07-24-2017 11:04 PM

It's just ****ing hilarious that CBS thinks this shit will actually work.

Make a product that pisses off its loyal fanbase that you desperately need to pay for your shitty upstart streaming service.

I'll be shocked if any episodes of this show make me do any kind of thinking about the nature of reality. How could this thing possibly tell stories that explore who we are as humans? You know, what Star Trek was supposed to ****ing be all about!

DaneMcCloud 07-25-2017 08:38 AM

Wow, this show just became even dumber:

--------

It turns out the lead of the new “Star Trek: Discovery” series has a stronger connection to the franchise than first thought. In the trailers so far for the CBS All Access show, it has been suggested that Commander Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) is either a student or full protege of Sarek, Spock’s father.

Seems things go further than that with word from the panel during the San Diego Comic Con that she is the adopted sister of Spock. The show’s Sarek sees raising a fully human child as an opportunity to better understand his wife Amanda’s human nature. The show’s official Twitter account has tried to explain:

“Regarding why there’s never been any mention of Spock’s half-sibling, Michal Burnham before, EP Alex Kurtzman said ‘We’re aware. You’ll see where it’s going, but we are staying consistent with canon.'”

This wouldn’t mark the first time the franchise had retconned a sibling of sorts for Spock, the same was true of Sybok – the half-brother of Spock and villain of “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier”.

One other reveal is that the Klingons seen in the series will be speaking full Klingon language on screen (subtitled) as opposed to English with the occasional use of the language as seen in other “Star Trek” series.

The recent trailer has certainly hinted that Burnham is the key player in action that effectively ignites a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. “Star Trek: Discovery” premieres September 24th on CBS and the following day on Netflix outside the United States.

Bowser 07-25-2017 10:22 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fe9991779e.jpg

Beef Supreme 07-25-2017 12:01 PM

It could be the greatest Star Trek series ever and I'm still not paying for their shit streaming channel.

Bowser 07-25-2017 12:03 PM

Looking forward to Orville so much more than this.

Frazod 07-25-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12972901)
It could be the greatest Star Trek series ever and I'm still not paying for their shit streaming channel.

If it was good I'd pay for it in a second. I'm ready made to pay for this. But they've shit all over Star Trek and it's fans. It's insane.

It would be like the Chiefs saying, hey, we really want you to come out and support the team. Except for you one who sucks the peniss from Missouri and Kansas.

DaneMcCloud 07-29-2017 10:30 AM

One of the more interesting rumors floating about back when “Star Trek: Discovery” was first announced was that showrunner Bryan Fuller (“Hannibal,” “American Gods”) had planned to do the series in an anthology format with different eras of “Star Trek” explored with each new season.

Of course Fuller exited the project and what we’re left with is a standard serialised drama set within one period – ten years before the time of Captain Kirk. As part of a new Trek-centric issue of EW (via TrekMovie, a source has finally confirmed that original report and goes into a bit more detail about Fuller’s vision which was: “to do for science fiction what ‘American Horror Story’ had done for horror”):

“Fuller sat with CBS executives to deliver his pitch. It wasn’t just for a ‘Trek’ series but for multiple serialized anthology shows that would begin with the ‘Discovery’ prequel, journey through the eras of Captain James T. Kirk and Captain Jean-Luc Picard, and then go beyond to a time in ‘Trek’ that’s never been seen before.”

CBS wasn’t prepared to go that far, instead opting to create a single serialized show and seeing how it performed first. Other Fuller ideas that were set aside included “a more heavily allegorical and complex story line” (ie. more like “Star Trek”), and a “subdued spin on the original series’ trio of primary colors [for uniforms]”.

The article goes further into the clashes with the studio from the $6 million per episode budget being insufficient to the hiring of procedural vet David Semel to direct the pilot which the network wanted. Fuller, who clashed with Semel, reportedly wanted a proper film director and even reached out to filmmaker Edgar Wright for the gig.

The main issue though was scheduling with Fuller being let go by CBS in October last year. CBS Studios president David Stapf says Fuller’s fingerprints are still there: “The good news is Bryan created a really nice template that was unbelievably specifically detailed.” Fuller himself adds: “I got to dream big. I was sad for a week and then I salute the ship and compartmentalize my experience.”

Fuller got his start working on episodes of the acclaimed “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and the less well-regarded “Star Trek: Voyager” before he went on to forge his noted producing career.

The non-Fuller ‘Trek’ kicks off September 24th on CBS All Access.

Jamie 07-29-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12979487)
“subdued spin on the original series’ trio of primary colors [for uniforms]”.

The uniforms are kind of the weirdest thing, because A) we've seen TOS-style uniforms work in a modern context (the Beyond ones in particular looked great) and B) the uniform design they used looks horrible.

Frazod 07-30-2017 12:45 AM

Long, but informative.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tQcLLfzzKWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 07-30-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12981197)
Long, but informative.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tQcLLfzzKWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This show could end up being actually pretty awesome, in and of itself, but it sounds as if CBS has taken the idea and turned it into a complete and utter goat **** of a project. I mean if this guy is accurate and to be believed, CBS already knows it's going to bomb and has a ready made excuse in the can about it being an anthology story with Nicholas Meyers potentially working on a new and different series for the CW? Christ, what an absolute mess.

Frazod 07-30-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12981449)
This show could end up being actually pretty awesome, in and of itself, but it sounds as if CBS has taken the idea and turned it into a complete and utter goat **** of a project. I mean if this guy is accurate and to be believed, CBS already knows it's going to bomb and has a ready made excuse in the can about it being an anthology story with Nicholas Meyers potentially working on a new and different series for the CW? Christ, what an absolute mess.

Well, if anybody knows how to make good Star Trek, it's Nicholas Meyer. I hope that rumor ends up being true.

Personally, my hope is that this shit bombs so bad that the value drops to the point where the assholes at CBS will sell it so somebody who actually cares.

DaneMcCloud 07-30-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12981478)
Well, if anybody knows how to make good Star Trek, it's Nicholas Meyer. I hope that rumor ends up being true.

Personally, my hope is that this shit bombs so bad that the value drops to the point where the assholes at CBS will sell it so somebody who actually cares.

Unfortunately, Paramount/CBS will never relinquish the rights to Star Trek because it's a Legacy IP for them, something in which they have very little of in their vault.

Bowser 07-30-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12981549)
Unfortunately, Paramount/CBS will never relinquish the rights to Star Trek because it's a Legacy IP for them, something in which they have very little of in their vault.

Time for a new Indiana Jones movie!

DaneMcCloud 07-30-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12981563)
Time for a new Indiana Jones movie!

That's coming in 2020 but I have no idea if Disney or Paramount will distribute .

I think it's probably Disney, because Lucasfilm is owned by them and not an independent studio, but we'll see.

Distribution rights can be tricky.

Bowser 07-30-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12981580)
Distribution rights can be tricky.

Apparently so, according to all what was said in Fraz's video. Hence my "goat ****" sentiment.

This is going to fail, and fail so hard by the looks of it. If ANY of the speculation about the Meyers show is even close to being true, how can it NOT fail?It will be a shame, because they've actually assembled a pretty strong cast with great chops between them, but the hardcore Trek fan they're going after will already have had their minds made up on it.

DaneMcCloud 07-30-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12981595)
Apparently so, according to all what was said in Fraz's video. Hence my "goat ****" sentiment.

This is going to fail, and fail so hard by the looks of it. If ANY of the speculation about the Meyers show is even close to being true, how can it NOT fail?It will be a shame, because they've actually assembled a pretty strong cast with great chops between them, but the hardcore Trek fan they're going after will already have had their minds made up on it.

I haven't watched the video but Paramount can ruin anything

Bowser 07-30-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12981658)
I haven't watched the video but Paramount can ruin anything

I'd love to get some tequila in you one day and hear the Paramount stories, lol.

And the vid really was informative.

RINGLEADER 07-30-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12981549)

It's a Khan series:

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/bre...imited-series/

DaneMcCloud 07-30-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12982728)

Holy crap! Well, I don't know if I should be excited or appalled.

Buehler445 07-30-2017 06:34 PM

:spock:

Khan? Really?

RINGLEADER 07-30-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12982742)

Khan? Really?

Not Khan.

KKHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

Mephistopheles Janx 07-30-2017 07:40 PM

Yes... what we needed was not to explore any other part of the vast Trek universe and history/future. We needed to re-visit, yet again, more ****ing Khan. Because his return to the forefront of Trek villainy was SO well received when Bumbledick played him in "Into Darkness".

I hate these people. Un-original ****s.

RealSNR 09-24-2017 06:08 PM

Here goes nothing. My expectations couldn't be any lower. I guess that's the key to perhaps winning fans if you're Paramount?

notorious 09-24-2017 06:13 PM

Please be good. Please.

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 06:16 PM

It might be a surprise, but I've been told that it's excellent

Deberg_1990 09-24-2017 06:17 PM

It's on free CBS tv tonight? Is this only for tonight?

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13103101)
It's on free CBS tv tonight? Is this only for tonight?

Yes and yes

Buehler445 09-24-2017 06:23 PM

I set the DVR. I'll read this thread to see if I'll watch it.

keg in kc 09-24-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13103092)

Everything online the last week has indicated the same, as well.

mnchiefsguy 09-24-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13103092)

Really hope you are right. I have low expectations, so that should help.

Frazod 09-24-2017 08:16 PM

Well, it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would, but I'm still not impressed. Don't like the look of it, absolutely hate what they've done to the Klingons, and while I don't know how it will work online, if I have to pay to watch something that sticks me with this many commercial breaks, they can shove this shit.

I'll have to hear good things about more episodes before I even consider paying a cent for this crap.

Bowser 09-24-2017 09:24 PM

I thought it looked amazing. Had the look of a movie, not a TV show. The effects were top notch, and I thought the acting was really good. I enjoyed the interaction of the Discovery crew.

But why do they feel they need to redo the origin story of the Klingons to some faith based caste? Everyone that tuned in know who and what the Klingons are, we don't need a Kelvin type of reorganization of the Klingon Empire. And I just couldn't get over how cheaply they incorporated Sarek into the story. Spock had a sister in law that we've never known about? Pfffft.

Overall I liked it, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to pay to see the rest.

RealSNR 09-24-2017 09:29 PM

The Klingons are now ancient Egyptians?

Visually, these Klingons have more in common with the Goa'uld from Stargate than they do actual Klingons established by the previous series.

Yes, I know that the Klingons changed dramatically beginning with Star Trek The Motion Picture and continuing throughout the TNG - ENT, but that's the point. They changed the appearance of those aliens once already, and came up with a bizarre explanation in ENT to account for the smooth-headed Klingons in TOS. Now they're taking ANOTHER prequel and changing their appearances and culture and surrounding aesthetic yet AGAIN?

Jamie 09-24-2017 09:57 PM

It was better than I expected. I don't love the uniforms and canon is completely out the window, but that's more subjective. The only objective criticism I have is how thick the Klingon makeup is. Was the dead Klingon's brother supposed to be scared of taking his place? I don't know, because all I could see was immobile rubber mask. The Saru makeup is borderline, it only works because Doug Jones is one of the best acting-through-makeup actors ever. And I don't think even he could make the Klingon makeup work.

Frazod 09-24-2017 10:43 PM

Against my better judgment, I dropped the $10 for a commercial free month and watched the second episode. I am rather annoyed with myself for doing so. :spank:

Excellent battle scenes, at least.

The Klingons are just so horribly done. It's jarring how awful that is. What the **** were they thinking? I'd really like to know who the idiots are who thought that was a good idea and managed to sell it to everybody else. I'm hoping it will grow on me at least to the point where I don't think about it, but seriously, I don't know.

RINGLEADER 09-24-2017 10:49 PM

Re: the Klingons the way the Created By credit is awarded on adapted material has everything to do with the crazy re-imagining -- that and too many cooks in the kitchen. I hate the Klingons and considering they're the backbone of the story it all just seemed rather pathetic.

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13104170)
Against my better judgment, I dropped the $10 for a commercial free month and watched the second episode. I am rather annoyed with myself for doing so. :spank:

Excellent battle scenes, at least.

The Klingons are just so horribly done. It's jarring how awful that is. What the **** were they thinking? I'd really like to know who the idiots are who thought that was a good idea and managed to sell it to everybody else. I'm hoping it will grow on me at least to the point where I don't think about it, but seriously, I don't know.

From my understanding, Bryan Fuller was the person that came up with the Klingon's new look.

Maybe it's best he stepped down as showrunner?

Frazod 09-24-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13104179)
From my understanding, Bryan Fuller was the person that came up with the Klingon's new look.

Maybe it's best he stepped down as showrunner?

If so, that's appalling. The way I understood it he was whacked because he complained that they weren't going along with canon.

The one thing that saves it for me, and will probably continue to, is the martial aspect of it. I don't want saving whales or battling the moral implications of violating the prime directive because somebody saw a Vulcan with his knit cap off. I want space battles. I want strong nasty villains. Keep that coming and I'll find a way to deal with gorilla klingons and the goofy uniforms and ship designs.

RINGLEADER 09-24-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13104199)

If so, that's appalling. The way I understood it he was whacked because he complained that they weren't going along with canon.

The one thing that saves it for me, and will probably continue to, is the martial aspect of it. I don't want saving whales or battling the moral implications of violating the prime directive because somebody saw a Vulcan with his knit cap off. I want space battles. I want strong nasty villains. Keep that coming and I'll find a way to deal with gorilla klingons and the goofy uniforms and ship designs.

That's not why Bryan Fuller left. He actually wasn't whacked. There is a reason the Klingons look the way they do but it's hard to accept.

Discuss Thrower 09-25-2017 01:07 AM

What's good?

The SFX, camera work, set design and other aesthetics were awesome even considering Abramsesque overuse of lens flares. Martin-Green, Yeoh, Jones and Frain were good in their respective roles. Setting Burnham's backstory as being a Vulcan-trained human accomplishes a few things in allowing for Burnham to be Mr(s). Exposition to explain the science-y points of the story for audience convenience when necessary, gives her credibility as an expert when they need to McGuyver the story out of jams without pushing the limits of the suspension of disbelief, and the background to meld the martial aspect of a Klingon War centric show with the noble aims of a Starfleet by coming to the conclusion that they have to act violently in order to win peace. Further, the show centering the main plot by following an XO rather than a captain is a nice little departure from the last four modern-era Trek series and allows for some natural drama as we see with Burnham's putsch and will probably see later.

What's not so good?

The whiplash-inducing pace of the first 20 minutes or so where Burnham and Georgiou seem to teleport around the desert planet for the clearest example though that seemed to stop once the T'Kuvma started his plan to become the Ghenghis Khan of Qo'nos, the CBS Access app and charging for it (though I guess it's nice if you want to watch both the new and old versions of the Odd Couple and other CBS-owned franchises), the rejiggling of the Klingon culture, the dialogue being a little repetitive and stilted though I appreciate the repetitiveness in some aspects like the EVA checklists and other spaceship related operations minutae because I feel like they are at least making it a soft Sci-Fi story rather than Space Fantasy or Opera where science-based details and plots are hand waved away and establishes some mundane 'realism'.

What's leaving me saying... huh?

What timeline is the show following and what differences are there in the canon from the Roddenberry / Berman & Braga or Abrams' universes, the Daft Punk bridge officer robot (?) on the Shenzhou, comms officers wearing cybernetics (?), space ships with negative space design features (but why?), the ginormous bridge on the Shenzhou, why an unambiguously female (..or not?) character has an unambiguously male name, including some TOS area sound effects with Abrams-trek era visuals... Maybe more will come to mind if I rewatch it.

Above all it's definitely a change from Berman and Braga-era trek but not quite what I expected from the Trek we saw in the last three big screen releases, though I must admit not seeing the last Abrams' Trek movie.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 08:34 AM

I don't know if Yeoh is just not a good actress or if her character is supposed to be wooden, but I found scenes where she was heavily involved to just be dragging and weak. It seems unlikely that she's going to be a true 'lead' going forward and that's a good thing because she most certainly didn't feel up to the task to me.

But Martin-Green kicked ass and I suspect she'll be the centerpiece going forward (even with Isaacs around, who is one of my favorite actors).

That said...I can't see much of a chance of me signing up for another subscription service to see it. Maybe if I were a cord-cutter and not already paying ungodly sums for DirecTV, but I'm not chipping anything else into the kitty here.

unlurking 09-25-2017 01:56 PM

Nothing on CBS I watch, so no way I pay $10 a month for a single show no matter how good it is. HBO has half a dozen shows I watch and I still only subscribe half the year.

Frazod 09-25-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13105189)
Nothing on CBS I watch, so no way I pay $10 a month for a single show no matter how good it is. HBO has half a dozen shows I watch and I still only subscribe half the year.

That reminds me - I need to cancel that shit until Westworld starts back up.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 02:00 PM

HBO is evidently developing a 'Watchmen' series.

Sold. I am one of the few people that actually liked that movie. I think a series could be friggen awesome.

Saulbadguy 09-25-2017 02:03 PM

I enjoyed it.

Frazod 09-25-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13105197)
HBO is evidently developing a 'Watchmen' series.

Sold. I am one of the few people that actually liked that movie. I think a series could be friggen awesome.

I loved it - primarily because I knew absolutely nothing about it and was just expecting another mindless, by-the-numbers superhero movie. It was anything but that.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2017 03:52 PM

Guys, if you're not doing Sunday Ticket, Direct TV NOW is the best deal, bar none.

The highest package has more than 130 channels at $70 a month. HBO and Cinemax are an additional $5 dollars while Starz and Showtime are $8 each.

Total bill is $96 dollars.

Download the Roku app and try a week for free to see if local channels are available in your area. They're making new agreements every day and it's just a matter of time before they have nationwide coverage.

notorious 09-25-2017 04:06 PM

I just finished the first episode and it is pretty damn good.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13105214)
I loved it - primarily because I knew absolutely nothing about it and was just expecting another mindless, by-the-numbers superhero movie. It was anything but that.

Same.

I was running channels one day and saw Malin Akerman looking damn good so I stopped and watched. I didn't know a thing about the source material so I wasn't grumpy about...well whatever it is the graphic novel folks are grumpy about.

It was different and visually appealing. It was dark and thoughtful and had an interesting villain. I thought it was good.

unlurking 09-25-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13105415)
Guys, if you're not doing Sunday Ticket, Direct TV NOW is the best deal, bar none.

The highest package has more than 130 channels at $70 a month. HBO and Cinemax are an additional $5 dollars while Starz and Showtime are $8 each.

Total bill is $96 dollars.

Download the Roku app and try a week for free to see if local channels are available in your area. They're making new agreements every day and it's just a matter of time before they have nationwide coverage.

Does not work on Linux. DirecTV decided to refund my payment (twice) rather than troubleshoot. Includes commercials, does not work on all channel websites (SyFy was not supported last time I tried), and no DVR capability with less on demand than my current Hulu package.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13105467)
Does not work on Linux. DirecTV decided to refund my payment (twice) rather than troubleshoot. Includes commercials, does not work on all channel websites (SyFy was not supported last time I tried), and no DVR capability with less on demand than my current Hulu package.

Direct TV NOW is for Roku only.

If you download the channel apps to your Roku, you can sign in using your Direct TV account and stream any channel that you pay for in the selected package.

I only have one DVR but 6 Roku's. It's great for the kids because they have access to everything Disney and Nick without need to record.

Direct TV NOW isn't the Direct TV mobile app.

unlurking 09-25-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13105496)
Direct TV NOW is for Roku only.

If you download the channel apps to your Roku, you can sign in using your Direct TV account and stream any channel that you pay for in the selected package.

I only have one DVR but 6 Roku's. It's great for the kids because they have access to everything Disney and Nick without need to record.

Direct TV NOW isn't the Direct TV mobile app.

DirecTV Now is not only Roku.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212447843

I've signed up twice, the second time because they said the resolved the issues with Chrome on Linux.

I don't use Roku. I have an Nvidia SHIELD on my 4K TV, but 90% of my TV viewing is at my desk via laptop and 32" monitor while I'm working.

unlurking 09-25-2017 05:04 PM

Looks like they finally added SyFy...

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...nd-mobile-apps

If they ever add DVR and fix Chrome on Linux I'll sign back up.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13105512)

I was told it was Roku Only on Saturday.

:redface:

BTW, they really ****ed up the marketing on this thing. Before Saturday, I thought that it was only available to those that couldn't have a satellite dish, like people in apartments and condos.

My wife works for a huge ad firm, which was just hired to market DTV NOW, because it was so ****ed up from the start.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13105518)
Looks like they finally added SyFy...

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...nd-mobile-apps

If they ever add DVR and fix Chrome on Linux I'll sign back up.

With the apps, you don't need a DVR. You can stream archived and/or live.

I was told that they're adding channels all the time. It's just a matter of working out licensing agreements with the networks.

The girl I spoke with didn't know that Showtime is now available, because it just happened on Friday.

unlurking 09-25-2017 05:17 PM

:D

The main problem (for me) is support. Linux support for streaming directly from DirecTV is non-existent. On the forums there are discussions about UA strings, but I found that sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. Upgrading Chrome often broke it, and I refuse to use an out of date browser. Streaming from the myriad different network providers was even worse.

I'll probably try again during the holidays when I'll have some time to do some real troubleshooting, but I expect I'll be asking for a refund again.

notorious 09-25-2017 05:59 PM

Just finished the 2nd episode.

This is good stuff. It's infinitely better than the Orville.

Buehler445 09-25-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13105581)
Just finished the 2nd episode.

This is good stuff. It's infinitely better than the Orville.

So you bought the subscription?

RealSNR 09-25-2017 06:12 PM

Why is the lead character named "Michael"

notorious 09-25-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13105595)
So you bought the subscription?

No......

hometeam 09-25-2017 07:53 PM

People would pay for this shit?

https://fmovies.to/film/star-trek-discovery.6vw6z

have a pop up blocker on and enjoy.

Discuss Thrower 09-25-2017 08:01 PM

After through some reddit comments, I was reminded that ST pilots have been typically rough.

Further, it also dawned on me that many here in this thread and Sci-Fi fandom in general are generally fans of episodic TV series. Since the end of Enterprise in May 2005, we've had the privilege of seeing the debuts of Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Westworld and so on and so on. Expectations perhaps be tempered a bit for a three-letter network show.

Bowser 09-25-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13105602)
Why is the lead character named "Michael"

Because "George" doesn't sound exotic enough on a female.

Bowser 09-25-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13105825)
People would pay for this shit?

https://fmovies.to/film/star-trek-discovery.6vw6z

have a pop up blocker on and enjoy.

Heh, Malwarebytes does NOT like that website.

notorious 09-25-2017 08:48 PM

Elysium.......

hometeam 09-25-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13105945)
Heh, Malwarebytes does NOT like that website.

been using it for years, u block origin is the only addon i run. Dont see any ads or have any issues ever.

Buehler445 09-25-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13105982)
Elysium.......

I see said the blind man.

I was thinking I was totally reeruned because I was sure I heard them say it was on that gay ass service.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2017 12:06 AM

The premise was okay, the Klingons were ridiculously portrayed

Nickhead 09-26-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13106299)
I see said the blind man.

I was thinking I was totally reeruned because I was sure I heard them say it was on that gay ass service.

as he picked up his hammer and saw. :D

all i know is having watched the first episode on netflix, they now are suggesting a shit ton of bollyhood ****ery.

Beef Supreme 09-26-2017 12:09 PM

Haven't watched any episodes yet. Might not. I'd probably watch it if not for all the ****ery with this streaming service. They can eat shit, and that's the message I want to send to them.

Saulbadguy 09-26-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13107054)
Haven't watched any episodes yet. Might not. I'd probably watch it if not for all the ****ery with this streaming service. They can eat shit, and that's the message I want to send to them.

Eh - that's the way things are going.

I currently have Cable internet + Hulu Live + Netflix and even if I added CBS All Access, my bill will be still significantly lower than Cable or DirecTV.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2017 12:32 PM

After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that the pilot and possibly the series, are completely unnecessary and in terms of overall quality, shit.

I though that Green was awful. She rushed her lines and didn't portray any emotion. I understand that she was raised Vulcan but I found her performance to be cold. Michelle Yeoh's accent may throw some people off but I found her to be far more believable than Green.

And Klingons, again? They keep changing the back story and I found their language and subtitles to be comical. This is what ignites the war with the Klingons? Blech.

Also, the technology was so far advanced from the TOS and the series that followed that it made it simply ridiculous for me to believe. I think CBS and Paramount would have been better off setting this program in the 26th or 27th century or have it set right after First Contact.

I just can't buy into it.

Frazod 09-26-2017 01:14 PM

In addition to the horrid new look, why do the Klingons talk so slow? They never spoke that slowly in the movies, NG or DS9. The cadence reminded me of how the Apache spoke in Geronimo (and it may well have been accurate, but it was jarring and slowed down that movie also).

And the new Klingon ships look absolutely nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like their previous counterparts. It could be argued that the Federation ships look more like old Klingon vessels, only with a saucer stuck on the front.

At least they're nasty. I guess they got that right.