ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

ragedogg69 05-26-2014 12:30 PM

from what i have read is the linux xbmc on the gbox is superior but at the cost of having the popular android apps like netflix. i think that is because it is taking code from a similar box (pivos) and making it work for the gbox.

which is kinda lame considering pivos gives a share of its profits back to XBMC.org

007 05-26-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10651603)
from what i have read is the linux xbmc on the gbox is superior but at the cost of having the popular android apps like netflix. i think that is because it is taking code from a similar box (pivos) and making it work for the gbox.

which is kinda lame considering pivos gives a share of its profits back to XBMC.org

I would be all in on that install if I didn't have to give up WINSCP app.

ragedogg69 07-18-2014 10:55 AM

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/thread...-Genesis-addon

anybody using this? looks amazing.

Fish 07-18-2014 11:06 AM

Yeah. Actually had a tab open that I was gonna post here about when I got the chance, but you beat me to it.

This addon has overtaken 1Channel as the easiest solution for movies and TV. It works brilliantly. Looks very nice. And the best part is that the content seems to be organized much better with regards to movies and TV that I like to watch. Less European crap that I've never heard of. Genres work much better. You can prioritize your sources and quality. You can link it up with Trakt and IMDB. It's very easy to add streaming items to your Library, and it updates and tells you when there's new episodes. Keeps track of what you've watched and what you haven't.

It's the shit.

Fish 07-18-2014 11:08 AM

Also.... I highly recommend getting the XBMCHub Addon Installer, and installing all your addons that way. It works very well, it's incredibly simple to use, and prevents issues like installing an addon that isn't compatible with your version of XBMC, etc.

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/thread...taller-Browser

ragedogg69 07-18-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10752910)
Also.... I highly recommend getting the XBMCHub Addon Installer, and installing all your addons that way. It works very well, it's incredibly simple to use, and prevents issues like installing an addon that isn't compatible with your version of XBMC, etc.

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/thread...taller-Browser

My brother in law absolutely love it. Great for anyone that doesnt want to tinker. Instead you just download and it works.

I have been using XBMC off and on now for 10 years. I am set in my old ways. lol

007 07-18-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10752905)
Yeah. Actually had a tab open that I was gonna post here about when I got the chance, but you beat me to it.

This addon has overtaken 1Channel as the easiest solution for movies and TV. It works brilliantly. Looks very nice. And the best part is that the content seems to be organized much better with regards to movies and TV that I like to watch. Less European crap that I've never heard of. Genres work much better. You can prioritize your sources and quality. You can link it up with Trakt and IMDB. It's very easy to add streaming items to your Library, and it updates and tells you when there's new episodes. Keeps track of what you've watched and what you haven't.

It's the shit.

I'll have to check that out. I have been getting extremely frustrated with 1channel.

ragedogg69 08-01-2014 12:17 PM

This will be fun. XBMC is now changing their name to Kodi. Starting with version 14. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Fish 08-01-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10788465)
This will be fun. XBMC is now changing their name to Kodi. Starting with version 14. Seems pretty pointless to me.

****ing stupid.

jd1020 08-03-2014 10:41 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0ilMx7k7mso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KMcny_pixDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 10-11-2014 10:08 AM

Anyone found a way to watch SEC Network on XBMC? I know I can get the games, but I'd like to get some of the other programming like their game day (it's hosted in Fayetteville today, so I'd like to watch it).

ragedogg69 10-11-2014 12:12 PM

Aside from borrowing a friend/family member's cable login for WatchESPN, I do not know of any 24/7 streams for that network.

NewChief 11-14-2014 12:47 PM

Okay, XBMC issue.

I have a Gbox MX2. I've reflashed the firmware. I've deleted and installed Gotham multiple times. Nothing is overcoming this issue.

When I run any kind of streaming video from any addons (sportsdevil, 1channel, etc..) I get the sound, but I don't get any video. It's just a black screen in the background. Last night, I was streaming the NFL game on Sportsdevil, and I could hear the broadcast.. but the screen was blank. All the XBMC floating menu and such is still there, but there's no video feed.

Any ideas?

Fish 11-14-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11110103)
Okay, XBMC issue.

I have a Gbox MX2. I've reflashed the firmware. I've deleted and installed Gotham multiple times. Nothing is overcoming this issue.

When I run any kind of streaming video from any addons (sportsdevil, 1channel, etc..) I get the sound, but I don't get any video. It's just a black screen in the background. Last night, I was streaming the NFL game on Sportsdevil, and I could hear the broadcast.. but the screen was blank. All the XBMC floating menu and such is still there, but there's no video feed.

Any ideas?

That symptom is normally related to the video decoding method being used. Open XBMC. Go to System\Video. Adjust the Settings level at the bottom to Expert. When you do, the Acceleration setting is displayed in the Video list.

You have two options, hardware decoding or software decoding. With the MX2, you'll probably have better luck with hardware decoding.

When you set it to hardware decoding, you then have two options for hardware decoding, libstagefright and mediacodec. With most current Android devices, you want libstagefright turned on, and mediacodec turned off. If mediacodec is turned on, it uses that and only that for decoding, which many Android devices choke on.

Try those settings and see if it's any better. You're welcome to play around with other decoding methods to see what works best. But the above is normally what I hear being recommended to most Android users. Going forward, new Android devices with better hardware will likely require the opposite, libstagefright off and mediacodec on. libstagefright is a bit of a hack to make weaker Android hardware work right. This only applies to Android.

NewChief 11-14-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11110178)
That symptom is normally related to the video decoding method being used. Open XBMC. Go to System\Video. Adjust the Settings level at the bottom to Expert. When you do, the Acceleration setting is displayed in the Video list.

You have two options, hardware decoding or software decoding. With the MX2, you'll probably have better luck with hardware decoding.

When you set it to hardware decoding, you then have two options for hardware decoding, libstagefright and mediacodec. With most current Android devices, you want libstagefright turned on, and mediacodec turned off. If mediacodec is turned on, it uses that and only that for decoding, which many Android devices choke on.

Try those settings and see if it's any better. You're welcome to play around with other decoding methods to see what works best. But the above is normally what I hear being recommended to most Android users. Going forward, new Android devices with better hardware will likely require the opposite, libstagefright off and mediacodec on. libstagefright is a bit of a hack to make weaker Android hardware work right. This only applies to Android.

Awesome. I'll give it a try tonight after the kids are in bed. Thanks so much!

NewChief 11-14-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11110459)
Awesome. I'll give it a try tonight after the kids are in bed. Thanks so much!

It's working now. Thanks so much! I had to screw with a few different settings in there, but it's working now. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Yay. And will be able to watch the Hogs whip up on LSU tomorrow night.

ragedogg69 11-15-2014 01:04 PM

Fish, your knowledge base on the subject is beyond impressive. rep

Fish 11-15-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11112054)
Fish, your knowledge base on the subject is beyond impressive. rep

I appreciate that. I tend to geek out on the devices I use.

:toast:

ragedogg69 11-15-2014 09:05 PM

Speaking of XBMC, does anyone know what the deal is with tv addons? it has been down all week. Before, even when it was up, it would error out.

NewChief 11-15-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11113114)
Speaking of XBMC, does anyone know what the deal is with tv addons? it has been down all week. Before, even when it was up, it would error out.

I've resorted to superrepo. I've had to do multiple clean installs this week trying to troubleshoot and the lack of tvaddons has sucked.

007 11-15-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11113114)

its been fine for me.

Scorp 11-15-2014 09:43 PM

It really sucks the developer of Mashup decided to end Mashup. I pretty much just used Mashup and Navix on XBMC.

ragedogg69 11-16-2014 06:34 PM

Normally I would say replace Mash Up with Genesis, but TV addons has been down all week. With that being said, once you get the app, it will work just fine no matter what happens with TV Addons. Like NewChief said, try super repo to get it.

Scorp 11-16-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11118902)
Normally I would say replace Mash Up with Genesis, but TV addons has been down all week. With that being said, once you get the app, it will work just fine no matter what happens with TV Addons. Like NewChief said, try super repo to get it.

I don't think you understand. The developer put out an update for Mashup which killed the app. Then he shut his website down as well. Mashup IS NO MORE!

ragedogg69 11-16-2014 08:06 PM

I understood just fine. Mash up is gone. Normally I would say replace Mash Up with Genesis, but TV Addons has been down. If you can find a way to get Genesis it will work just fine regardless of TV Addons. I dont see the confusion here. Cliq is another replacement, but I have no experience with it.

ragedogg69 11-16-2014 08:12 PM

Oh shit. I did misunderstand. Mikey took all of Xunity down. Turns out maybe forcing ads and tracking people did not work to well for him. I cannot wait to hear about this. I have heard XBMC.org is going hard after ebay sellers promising XBMC to get free TV and movies, but maybe they are going after these 3rd parties as well.

Anybody know?

EDIT-Mashup Patcher: http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comment.../mashup_patch/

ragedogg69 11-16-2014 08:40 PM

So from what I can tell, Mash got hit with 3 DMCA notices and freaked out and shut down his site and add on without telling anyone. His partners over at Xunity are not thrilled. Expect them to come up with something.

Scorp 11-18-2014 05:42 PM

I must thank you for recommending Genesis. I don't even miss Mashup with this addon. It is very nice.

007 11-19-2014 12:13 AM

Oh, I see what you guys mean now. 1channel is not working on Gotham but still works on Frodo. I have Frodo on my PC but gotham on my tablet.

TinyEvel 11-19-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11125525)
Oh, I see what you guys mean now. 1channel is not working on Gotham but still works on Frodo. I have Frodo on my PC but gotham on my tablet.

...and if Frodo or Gotham aren't working, try Dilithium, Hogwarts or Mytzlplk
#nerds

007 11-19-2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 11125552)
#nerds

:thumb:

Fish 11-19-2014 09:17 AM

The tvaddons.ag site is back up and has been for several days. 1Channel is working fine. There was a brief outage yesterday, so your issue may be related to bad cached data. Try this:

Clear the 1Channel URL cache:
Navigate to System\Addons\Enabled Addons\Video Addons\1Channel\Settings\Database\Flush URL cache
Restart XBMC.

See if that fixes it.

NewChief 11-19-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11125889)
The tvaddons.ag site is back up and has been for several days. 1Channel is working fine. There was a brief outage yesterday, so your issue may be related to bad cached data. Try this:

Clear the 1Channel URL cache:
Navigate to System\Addons\Enabled Addons\Video Addons\1Channel\Settings\Database\Flush URL cache
Restart XBMC.

See if that fixes it.

That's a good one to know. I've had issues with 1channel in the past where searches return the same results regardless of what you search for (and it seems to return the recently added list as the search results). I bet that will fix it.

Also, 1channel flirted briefly with incorporating user lists and adding a sort of social component. Did they back out of all of that? I had a version with all of that once, but my current version doesn't have it.

hometeam 11-21-2014 10:24 AM

SO I think I am finally going to get off of DTV. Going to buy out my contract on the 30th and have a windows based HTPC ready to go with XMBC etc.

Any critques, things im missing etc? I have gigabit connection so plan to stream every thing I can.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YWVkzy

Can always add in NAS or more internal HDD space, and expand memory if needed. Also thinking about possibly reusing an old POS case I have that has a DVD drive, so could save 30 bucks, im just planning it all out in case I decide not to go that way.

Fish 11-21-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 11134562)
SO I think I am finally going to get off of DTV. Going to buy out my contract on the 30th and have a windows based HTPC ready to go with XMBC etc.

Any critques, things im missing etc? I have gigabit connection so plan to stream every thing I can.

Can always add in NAS or more internal HDD space, and expand memory if needed. Also thinking about possibly reusing an old POS case I have that has a DVD drive, so could save 30 bucks, im just planning it all out in case I decide not to go that way.

What are you planning for input? Do you have an IR or wireless USB receiver already?

The CPU/GPU you got limits you to a max HDMI resolution of 1920x1200. If you bumped up to the FM2+ chipset you'd be 4K compatible. If that interests you..

hometeam 11-21-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11134681)
What are you planning for input? Do you have an IR or wireless USB receiver already?

The CPU/GPU you got limits you to a max HDMI resolution of 1920x1200. If you bumped up to the FM2+ chipset you'd be 4K compatible. If that interests you..

I am going to plug HDMI directly into my main TV, and use my chromecast for the TV in the bedroom.

Not interested in going 4k in the slightest. Im being cheap, which includes not spending money upgrading tvs.

If by input you are talking about a remote I looked into them a bit but not sure what im going to need, was thinking of just using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from the couch.

Fish 11-21-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 11134989)
I am going to plug HDMI directly into my main TV, and use my chromecast for the TV in the bedroom.

Not interested in going 4k in the slightest. Im being cheap, which includes not spending money upgrading tvs.

If by input you are talking about a remote I looked into them a bit but not sure what im going to need, was thinking of just using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from the couch.

Yeah, I'm not real big on 4K yet either, just throwing that out there.

Regarding input... Something like this works well and isn't as bulky....

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...ckpad+keyboard

NewChief 11-21-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11135021)
Yeah, I'm not real big on 4K yet either, just throwing that out there.

Regarding input... Something like this works well and isn't as bulky....

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...ckpad+keyboard

That's what I have, and I like it.

ragedogg69 11-21-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11135087)

As do I. My only complaints is it does not have dedicated media player buttons. So you will have to know some keyboard commands for XBMC... (sigh) Kodi.

As for the A6, I have one from the FM1 days. I will say it is probably the slowest processor I would want to use with (sigh) Kodi that will do anything (Media) you can throw at it. Those AMD APU are perfect for this type stuff, but I am excited to compare it to my Fire TV I just got.

hometeam 11-21-2014 02:40 PM

I am not calling it Kodi. I dont care what happens. I'm also going extremely budget because between the cost to buy out of my contract, as well as to build the HTPC, its about 4 months worth of DTV.

But yes that may be the exact keyboard I was looking at. I looked at some remotes too but that is not my primary concern.

NewChief 11-21-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11135185)
As do I. My only complaints is it does not have dedicated media player buttons. So you will have to know some keyboard commands for XBMC... (sigh) Kodi.

As for the A6, I have one from the FM1 days. I will say it is probably the slowest processor I would want to use with (sigh) Kodi that will do anything (Media) you can throw at it. Those AMD APU are perfect for this type stuff, but I am excited to compare it to my Fire TV I just got.

My other issue is that for some reason, there are times when the special characters on the keyboard don't work, which is infuriating when trying to enter in urls and such for repo sources. I think that since I've switched to Gotham, it's been all good, though.

Hootie 11-21-2014 04:19 PM

Is this thread even in English anymore?

007 11-21-2014 09:45 PM

I see 1channel is borked again.

Baby Lee 11-21-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11135087)

Are there many really vital features to a touchpad in 8.1 over a KB/Mouse combo, particularly one with a decent array of multimedia keys?

I have these two, and switch back and forth.

Rocketfish Bluetooth Combo

http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/rock...wireless_1.jpg

Microsoft Wireless Combo 3000

http://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xx.../MS_WD3_01.png

ragedogg69 11-22-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 11134562)

Well, this is just my preliminary thoughts on the Fire TV Stick but I have some questions:
Does your TV do 1080p?
Does your wifi have N Speeds?
If you plan on having your own DVD/TV Show rips, can they be put on another computer?
Do you have $25?

If you said yes to all of the above, then get a Fire TV Stick. Staples and Best Buy will have them on sale this weekend. This thing is speedier than my A6, but my single band N wifi is what holds it back when streaming my library on my network.

This is by far the best value streaming box I have played with.

NewChief 11-22-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11136130)
Are there many really vital features to a touchpad in 8.1 over a KB/Mouse combo, particularly one with a decent array of multimedia keys?

I have these two, and switch back and forth.

Rocketfish Bluetooth Combo

http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/rock...wireless_1.jpg

Microsoft Wireless Combo 3000

http://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xx.../MS_WD3_01.png

I don't think so, no. The main reason I like the keyboard with touchpad is that it's only one piece to keep up with. I can also recline with it in my lap or whatever without having to have a flat surface on which to place the mouse.

007 11-22-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11136451)
I don't think so, no. The main reason I like the keyboard with touchpad is that it's only one piece to keep up with. I can also recline with it in my lap or whatever without having to have a flat surface on which to place the mouse.

yep, I have that K40 keyboard too and it rocks.

Lex Luthor 11-22-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 11125552)
#nerds

Mxyzptlk

If you're going to talk smack to the fans of Mr. Mxyzptlk, at least spell the name right!

ragedogg69 11-25-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11136043)
I see 1channel is borked again.

http://www.tvaddons.ag/1channel-update-repo/

what is funny is primewire links work fine in genesis.

also, did anyone have a bunch of add ons update last night? It seemed like every single one updated.

007 11-26-2014 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11144830)
http://www.tvaddons.ag/1channel-update-repo/

what is funny is primewire links work fine in genesis.

also, did anyone have a bunch of add ons update last night? It seemed like every single one updated.

My update had already pushed through. The only problem I am having with 1channel now is that it keeps pushing HD on me instead of SD. Don't know why you can't tell it to put SD first like you can on Genesis. I would use Genesis more but it doesn't update till the next day for the daily shows and sometimes I want to watch them the night they aired.

Fish 11-26-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11145857)
My update had already pushed through. The only problem I am having with 1channel now is that it keeps pushing HD on me instead of SD. Don't know why you can't tell it to put SD first like you can on Genesis. I would use Genesis more but it doesn't update till the next day for the daily shows and sometimes I want to watch them the night they aired.

First world problems.... :D

007 11-26-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11146073)
First world problems.... :D

I know right!!! LMAO

ragedogg69 11-26-2014 04:14 PM

So Sam Nazarko is coming out with his own platform. I have been using his crystalbuntu on my apple tv for years now and have been satisfied with his support. He is calling it the Vero and it will cost $199. What makes this different then most streamers is it will be designed to work out of the box. No SSH or rooting needed. He also says he will support the thing for 3 years worth of updates, maybe more.

The specs are a little meh, but you are paying for the working right out of the box feature. If it was $100 I would say it is a must buy. For now, you should keep an eye on it because his code is so good.

https://getvero.tv/

Scorp 11-26-2014 11:16 PM

I just missed out on this batch of the new Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android HD TV Streaming Box [2GB/16GB/4K] for $109.00 from Amazon. As soon as it is available I am ordering this. This thing is a beast!

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZMC5JZKRVSGO6W

ragedogg69 11-27-2014 09:19 AM

Has the community tested out its firmware yet? Matricom is notorious for having amazing specs but the code is garbage and requires the community to fix it.

Scorp 11-27-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11148041)
Has the community tested out its firmware yet? Matricom is notorious for having amazing specs but the code is garbage and requires the community to fix it.

I don't think so, I believe it has been out less than a week. This thing updates by itself, and they say they are constantly rolling out updates. It sounds like the bomb for out of the box no hassle setup.

Fish 11-27-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11148041)

I don't think that's quite as much of an issue as it used to be, due to the improvements in XBMC and Android both. At the time, Android XBMC was very new. There were a lot of janky patches in place to make it work. I'd definitely wait for some reviews though. But that new GBox Q looks pretty badass...

007 11-27-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 11148139)
I don't think so, I believe it has been out less than a week. This thing updates by itself, and they say they are constantly rolling out updates. It sounds like the bomb for out of the box no hassle setup.

They sure don't roll out any updates for their old model this past year.

Scorp 11-27-2014 05:16 PM

It is back in stock today. If you are looking for a set top box for xbmc and other android apps on your tv, I think this is the one to buy. I am ordering one now. Will let you all know what I think after I get it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZMC5JZKRVSGO6W

Here is more info about it:
The G-Box Midnight Q by Matricom brings high performance HD streaming from the internet and local media to your TV. The powerful quad core S802 processor with the Mali-450 3D graphics engine provides stellar performance for high definition video playback. XBMC runs smoothly with 1080p hardware decoding from local media and your favorite XBMC streaming add-ons. More Features than Roku and Apple TV Combined Looking for more than just a simple streaming box? The Q does it all. Running the full Android 4.4.4 OS gives you the ability to run virtually any Android app on your TV. Streaming just happens to be only one of the many things that the Q is really great at. Automatic Online Updating: Over-the-air updating ensures the latest software and brings the newest updates and bug fixes for Android and XBMC to your device seamlessly. G-Box Midnight Q Specifications: * Amlogic S802 CPU * Mali450 Octo Core High Performance 3D GPU * 2GB RAM (DDR3) * 16GB Total Internal Storage * USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD) * SD Storage Extendable (Up to 64GB!) * 802.11a/b/g/n internal Dual Band Wifi * HDMI v1.4 video output * 10/100 Ethernet Port * Optical SPDIF Digital Audio Output * Composite Audio/Video Out * 2x USB 2.0 Ports * Android 4.4.x KitKat installed * Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse * Google Play Store installed G-Box Midnight Q Support: This device is manufacturerd by Matricom and features a 1yr extensive device warranty. Support is available online by Matricom and through the G-Box community.

Scorp 12-01-2014 09:00 PM

Okay I got the Matricom GboxQ today. I must say I am very impressed there are a few bugs to tweak out but XBMC runs flawlessly. I am going to order 2 more boxes for the kids room and shutting off cable when I get them. I highly recommend this box!!!!

ragedogg69 12-02-2014 09:13 AM

That is good news. When the Gbox was first released, it was such a mess that people were putting a modified firmware from a Pivos box just to make it usable. Matricom became notorious for just taking that box from China, stamping their logo on it and sending it out without support for the first few months.

Glad one of these Chinese importers is finally stepping up.

ragedogg69 12-05-2014 10:22 AM

If you loved Mash Up, there appears to be a replacement shaping up: http://www.tvaddons.ag/phoenix-live-streams/

Scorp 12-05-2014 10:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

ragedogg69 12-26-2014 11:29 AM

DO NOT UPDATE TO KODI YET. Not all add ons have updated to work with Kodi yet. It is a nightmare to get my skin back to how it was. Wait for everyone to sort this shit out.

Ceej 01-02-2015 01:27 PM

Looks we are cutting cable and going the Hulu/Netflix/Cox internet route.

Damn wedding!

ToxSocks 01-02-2015 02:42 PM

Im doing the same this year. I need to buy another car and the only way imma be able to afford it is if i cut my DirecTV out.

I've tried Hulu....i think it sucks. Netflix is nice. I was thinking about going with Amazon Prime/Netflix, though i've never used Amazon Prime.

So my questions are: Is Amazon Prime like Netflix, or do i have to pay to view movies after i've already paid the membership? Is Amazon a good compliment to Netflix, as in, do they have a completely different movie library?

Are you guys still able to watch live football? If so, how? What about local channels?

Basically....what's the best, cheapest way to go?

ToxSocks 01-02-2015 02:44 PM

FYI, i have no idea what XMBC is, how Internet TV works or what to even expect. 100% novice. So novice that reading the posts in this thread makes my head spin a bit.

ReynardMuldrake 01-02-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11237916)
FYI, i have no idea what XMBC is, how Internet TV works or what to even expect. 100% novice. So novice that reading the posts in this thread makes my head spin a bit.

XBMC is not a streaming service. It is a media player that works with all kinds of media files. It works great when paired with a media distribution method. *cough* bittorrent *cough*

ToxSocks 01-02-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 11237975)
XBMC is not a streaming service. It is a media player that works with all kinds of media files. It works great when paired with a media distribution method. *cough* bittorrent *cough*

I just finished googling it...so im clear....it's just a media player....and you have to download different extensions and they somehow work within the player....and different addons allow you to view programming?

What's the quality like?

Stewie 01-02-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11237912)
Im doing the same this year. I need to buy another car and the only way imma be able to afford it is if i cut my DirecTV out.

I've tried Hulu....i think it sucks. Netflix is nice. I was thinking about going with Amazon Prime/Netflix, though i've never used Amazon Prime.

So my questions are: Is Amazon Prime like Netflix, or do i have to pay to view movies after i've already paid the membership? Is Amazon a good compliment to Netflix, as in, do they have a completely different movie library?

Are you guys still able to watch live football? If so, how? What about local channels?

Basically....what's the best, cheapest way to go?

I just dumped Amazon Prime. It may be a good deal for you, but when I signed up it was $79/year and most of their TV content was included. Now, they charge $1.99/episode for things that are free on NetFlix and Amazon jumped its fee to $99/year. I can pay for a lot of shipping for $99.

ReynardMuldrake 01-02-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11237986)
I just finished googling it...so im clear....it's just a media player....and you have to download different extensions and they somehow work within the player....and different addons allow you to view programming?

What's the quality like?

It doesn't really have quality on its own, it's dependent on the quality of whatever media files it's using.

It's basically a "front-end" for movies and TV shows with background themes, plot summary, movie posters, etc. It makes regular media files look like Netflix.

ToxSocks 01-02-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11238002)
I just dumped Amazon Prime. It may be a good deal for you, but when I signed up it was $79/year and most of their TV content was included. Now, they charge for $1.99/episode for things that are free on NetFlix and Amazon jumped its free to $99/year.

Ok. Thanks. Yeah, that's dookie. Paying a fee on top of a fee is not what im looking for.

ToxSocks 01-02-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 11238003)
It doesn't really have quality on its own, it's dependent on the quality of whatever media files it's using.

It's basically a "front-end" for movies and TV shows with background themes, plot summary, movie posters, etc. It makes regular media files look like Netflix.

And the other files are Illegal in nature (such as the Free Cable addon)? Not that I care....but i should probably know these things.

Fish 01-02-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11238006)
And the other files are Illegal in nature (such as the Free Cable addon)? Not that I care....but i should probably know these things.

Some of them are. Some of them aren't. Actually the stuff found in the Free Cable plugin is all free legal stuff. Most of the movie related stuff is all pirated. You're not going to get any DMCA notices or anything though.

ragedogg69 01-03-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 11238002)
I just dumped Amazon Prime. It may be a good deal for you, but when I signed up it was $79/year and most of their TV content was included. Now, they charge $1.99/episode for things that are free on NetFlix and Amazon jumped its fee to $99/year. I can pay for a lot of shipping for $99.

Those are not part of Amazon Prime Instant Video, those are part of Amazon digital distribution. You can pay for those $1.99 episode whether you have Amazon Prime or not. It is really confusing that Amazon does not separate the two better. However, I think they want this confusion to have you spend more money.

As far as XBMC or (sigh) Kodi, it is all about the add ons. You can have a much more expansive library of content than Netflix with Genesis. Even HD quality, but it all depends on what links are still active. Obviously more trial and error than a legit video service. The last time I subbed to Netflix I was really disappointed with the lack of content when compared to Genesis.

As far as sports, SportsDevil and Phoenix will get you streams, but they will be low quality with the exception of the Pac-12 Network. If you can borrows a friends login for WatchESPN, you are in much better shape for live sports. Especially in HD quality.

Detoxing, my honest opinion is to get an Amazon Fire TV.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...IL3DSMGWOQQXES
Use the Amazon Utility app
https://sites.google.com/site/amazonfiretvutilityapp/
to side load your choice of version of XBMC:
http://spmc.semperpax.com/ or
http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/
Subscribe to Amazon Prime instant video or Netflix if you want and enjoy TV.

Personally, I mainly use torrents to view my TV Shows and movies because I get them sooner than when they air and usually higher quality.
However this requires a separate computer to download to.

ragedogg69 01-03-2015 12:43 PM

Also, anyone heard of or use Pulsar? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200957

Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Miles 01-03-2015 04:29 PM

I probably should read this thread. Stuck with Time Warner monopoly in my condo complex that results in a painful $200 per month for one TV DVR and 30 Mbps internet. ****ing hate Time Warner and there merger with Comcast isn't going to make them better.

aturnis 01-10-2015 05:31 PM

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...sktop-computer

http://www.iflscience.com/sites/www....?itok=-Tds6eT4

It was announced this week at the 2015 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that Intel is ready to ship its new device that is capable of turning an ordinary HDTV into a functional desktop computer. Intel’s Compute Stick plugs right into the HDMI port on your TV, instantly turning it into a system running Windows 8.1 for only $149. The Compute Stick is due to be released in March.

The Windows-based Compute Stick boasts a quad-core Atom Intel CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of memory. There will also a less expensive, Linux-based version of the Compute Stick that will go for $89. This version isn’t quite as powerful, with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of memory. Both models are enabled to support wireless Internet and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth can be used to connect the keyboard and mouse you’ll need to operate the computer.

The device itself is about four inches long, roughly the same size as a Chromecast. Just like the Chromecast, it needs to be powered via its mini USB port, though future versions of the Compute Stick may provide power through the HDMI port. There is also a USB port as well as a slot for a microSD card capable of providing up to 128GB of extra storage.

This probably won’t be enough power for those who need a computer for gaming or photo editing, as it’s more on par with a tablet or netbook rather than a full laptop or desktop computer. This does make for a good secondary computer for ordinary daily activities such as word processing, checking social media, or streaming YouTube or Netflix (which has the added bonus of being on a much bigger monitor than the average desktop). Because the Compute Stick is easy to set up and carry around, it also makes a great option for individuals who frequently travel.

Beyond individual consumers, businesses can take advantage of the versatile Compute Stick as well. The device can function as an inexpensive thin-client, which could be advantageous for small or up-and-coming companies. Digital kiosks around the office or at trade shows can provide static or streaming content in HD resolution.

Matt Safford from Popular Science also points out that the Compute Stick could be a great solution for schools and impoverished areas around the globe who are forced to use outdated and slow computing equipment for economical reasons.

More details about the full capabilities of the Compute Stick will be available as the March release date draws closer.

Scorp 01-10-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11239344)
Also, anyone heard of or use Pulsar? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200957

Sounds like the best of both worlds.

It works wonderfully. It downloads a hd movie in about a minute for me. The trick is don't install too many providers or the links will fail. I stick to 5 max.

DMAC 01-12-2015 02:00 PM

Cuttin the cord this month.