ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Any Bourbon drinkers out there? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186121)

penguinz 05-27-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10652940)
You know, for as much Bourbon as I drink, I still haven't bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I will take care of that problem tonight.

By the way, love the other two on your list. They are in my liquor cabinet as well. Woodford is one of the smoothest tasting Bourbon's I drink.

Buffalo is decent for a $20 bourbon. Has a some licorice in its taste profile.

shitgoose 05-27-2014 10:26 AM

Currently enjoying a bottle of High West Son of Bourye. Don't know if anyone else has tried this yet but it's smooth and delicious. It's made in Utah surprisingly enough.

The Poz 05-27-2014 11:17 AM

Still haven't had Haydens but it's next on my list. Makers, Woodford, and Knob Creek are usually on hand. Eagle Rare is sometimes in the cabinet but it doesn't last long. So good!
When someone gave me a bottle of Jim Beam Red Stag as a gift I thought it would just sit there as a last resort but I actually really like it.

srvy 06-16-2014 01:43 PM

After a discussion in another thread I seached and found this.

I have compiled a list of single barrel bourbons I have drank so these are my favorites. This list isnt in a best bang for the buck as I think Buffalo Trace is a solid bargain and is my go too for a after work relaxer. This list is from my viewpoint of interesting tastes that I loved. More like a from a incredible knock your socks off finnish to very very good. Just because its at the bottom is meaning less these are all fine in my estimation.

Rowan's Creek

Willett Family Estate Single Barrel

Black Maple Hill

Michter's 10yo single barrel

Corner Creek

Old Bardstown Estate Bottled

Smooth Ambler 7yo

Michter's US-1

Old Forester 2011 Birthday

Noah's Mill

Booker's

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

High West, American Prairie Reserve

Pappy van Winkle 15yo

Smooth Ambler 10yo

Old Bardstown (black label)

George T. Scott

Hirsch

Wathen's

Blanton's Original

Maker's 46

Jefferson's Reserve

Filibuster

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

Dancing Pines

Evan Williams (2011 "The Wine Source" bottling)

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig 18yo

Willett Pot Still Reserve

Evan Williams

Four Roses

Bulleit

Russell Reserve

1792 Reserve

Elijah Craig 12yo

Mother****erJones 06-16-2014 01:44 PM

Enjoyed my bottle of Bulleit Bourbon this weekend

Eleazar 06-16-2014 01:45 PM

It isn't bourbon, but I scored myself a duty-free bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label over the weekend. Just felt the need to brag :D

srvy 06-16-2014 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Notice the bottle or Buff Trace.

NewChief 06-16-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10695322)

I really like the Noah's Mill.

NewChief 06-16-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10695309)
After a discussion in another thread I seached and found this.

I have compiled a list of single barrel bourbons I have drank so these are my favorites. This list isnt in a best bang for the buck as I think Buffalo Trace is a solid bargain and is my go too for a after work relaxer. This list is from my viewpoint of interesting tastes that I loved. More like a from a incredible knock your socks off finnish to very very good. Just because its at the bottom is meaning less these are all fine in my estimation.

Have you tried the Evan Williams 1783? It's my daily drinker. Extremely good value, imo.

srvy 06-16-2014 02:40 PM

Not yet but its on my list. Whats it ging for if may ask?

InChiefsHeaven 06-16-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10695431)
Not yet but its on my list. Whats it ging for if may ask?

12 bucks for a 750...and well well worth it. It drinks a lot more expensive than it costs...

Coyote 06-16-2014 07:55 PM

https://www.breckenridgedistillery.com
Solid bourbon from a small distillery with several awards that I recommend. Maybe this belongs in the Colorado things to do for a distillery tour but it's available across the country.

Dayze 06-16-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10695322)

is that a bottle of Tequila Rose in the back?

srvy 06-16-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 10696513)
12 bucks for a 750...and well well worth it. It drinks a lot more expensive than it costs...

Thanks man moved to the top my list when I go look around for it.

Johnny Vegas 08-01-2014 08:39 PM

my ever growing collection of bourbon. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps1b74a6e1.jpg

srvy 08-01-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 10789240)
my ever growing collection of bourbon. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps1b74a6e1.jpg

Looks good. I see your putting a pretty good dent in the Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. Like them both and Buff Trace is a steal at its price point.

srvy 08-01-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 4801441)
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks

Buffalo Trace distillery's classic wheated-bourbon formula, substituting wheat for rye as the flavor grain in addition to the corn. The result is the same creamy, full-bodied whiskey that made the Van Winkles so famous. Now that all the Pappy is made at Buffalo Trace distillery, it's actually all made from the same formula. This one just happens to cost $19.99 instead.

Now I will say It doesn't have the burnt caramel flavoring many single barrel Bourbon drinkers prefer. It does hold up and surpasses many many higher dollar Bourbons IMO. Just good stuff and its my everyday drinker.

srvy 08-01-2014 10:06 PM

I have two new entries to my collection that may replace Buff Trace as my go to.
http://www.klwines.com/images/skus/1047799x.jpg
I like the above a whole lot and its a bargain.
And below Old Bardstown both about same price and very good.
http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/ima...ducts/7798.jpg

penguinz 08-01-2014 10:49 PM

I am having issues with the last two bottles of buffalo. Seems really harsh and almost undrinkable.

Think I got spoiled by a nice bottle of barterhouse. BT just does not come close.

Johnny Vegas 08-02-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10789356)
Looks good. I see your putting a pretty good dent in the Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. Like them both and Buff Trace is a steal at its price point.

yea the BT was $25 and I got that bottle for the 4th of July this year to pop open and pass around. My intentions were to kill the entire bottle before the night was over with everyone. I'll just enjoy the last of it by myself. I picked up that old rip van winkle from the liquor store for $45 which I thought was a huge steal because the secondary market for it is $250+. My quest for other bourbon continues.

Reaper16 08-02-2014 10:14 AM

I'm not in a position to ball out with crazy expensive bottles, so I tend to stick to buying Eagle Rare (10 year aged single-barrel Buffalo Trace, and only like $6 more expensive than BT), with the occasional bottle of Weller when I'm feeling like a wheated bourbon.

Bewbies 08-02-2014 10:31 AM

Old Weller is fantastic!

The Poz 08-02-2014 11:17 AM

Like I mentioned, up here there isn't a large selection to choose from. My in-laws just left for a family function in Pitt so I asked them to surprise me with something I can't normally get here.
Eagle Rare is still the nicest that I've tried.

Gonzo 08-02-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10695312)

I was surprised at how smooth this is. Very good burbon.

Johnny Vegas 08-02-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 10790125)
I was surprised at how smooth this is. Very good burbon.

try Jeffersons Reserve. that shit is like honey and extremely smooth. no bite at all.

KCrockaholic 08-02-2014 02:56 PM

Just working on some Jameson this weekend. Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites though.

KCrockaholic 08-02-2014 02:57 PM

What's the best bourbon $30 or under?

The best one under $8 (For the cheap asses) is Kentucky Prize. Not Deluxe. Prize.

Johnny Vegas 08-02-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10790376)

I think four roses small batch is solid at $35. other than BT I'd say W.L. Weller is a good pick as well.

KCrockaholic 08-02-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 10790388)
I think four roses small batch is solid at $35. other than BT I'd say W.L. Weller is a good pick as well.

Never heard of it.

Edit: I've seen it actually. Just never catches the eye.

Johnny Vegas 08-02-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10790397)
Never heard of it.

then you must try it. I think a bottle runs $20.

Gonzo 08-02-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

The best one under $8 (For the cheap asses) is Kentucky Prize. Not Deluxe. Prize.

I've gotta go makers mark honestly. I really like it. 25 bucks or so.

Raiderhater 08-02-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

If it's under $8 it isn't bourbon.

KCrockaholic 08-02-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 10790726)
I've gotta go makers mark honestly. I really like it. 25 bucks or so.

I'm a big fan of Maker's. It was my first love as a young pup. It's fine now. Still like it a lot, but there's others I'd try ahead of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 10790956)
If it's under $8 it isn't bourbon.

You might be correct. But this bottle will last a while, and it isn't all that bad IF it's mixed.

Miles 08-03-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10790374)
Just working on some Jameson this weekend. Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites though.

Buffalo Trace is easily my favorite commonly found bourbon. Prefer it to Makers and maybe $5-10 cheaper per handle.

Miles 08-03-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10789980)
I'm not in a position to ball out with crazy expensive bottles, so I tend to stick to buying Eagle Rare (10 year aged single-barrel Buffalo Trace, and only like $6 more expensive than BT), with the occasional bottle of Weller when I'm feeling like a wheated bourbon.

Really enjoy Buffalo Trace so sounds like I should try Eagle Rare.

Miles 08-03-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote (Post 10696572)
https://www.breckenridgedistillery.com
Solid bourbon from a small distillery with several awards that I recommend. Maybe this belongs in the Colorado things to do for a distillery tour but it's available across the country.

I have had it a few times when up in Summit County and pretty good stuff. Didn't realize it had become available everywhere.

KCrockaholic 08-03-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 10790980)
Buffalo Trace is easily my favorite commonly found bourbon. Prefer it to Makers and maybe $5-10 cheaper per handle.

Exactly.

Reaper16 08-03-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 10790985)
Really enjoy Buffalo Trace so sounds like I should try Eagle Rare.

Oh yes. Indeed. When I say its 10 year aged single-barrel Buffalo Trace that isn't a comparison or metaphor, I mean it is literally Buffalo Trace that has been aged longer and isn't coming to you blended.

It's not as versatile for imaginative cocktails as Buffalo Trace is because of the increased barrel character (but Eagle Rare still rocks in the classics: old fashioneds, manhattans, boulevardiers, etc), but its markedly better as a straight sipper for the same reason.

srvy 08-03-2014 09:30 AM

Whats a bottle going for of Eagle Trace I might give that one a go next bottle shop stop!

I was over my Moms its been 8 years since Dad passed. Mom said go though his liquor Cabinet and if anything there you want take it or its getting pitched. I just never went through it after he died maybe thinking he might slip back in for a nitecap. Dad didn't have expensive tastes mostly like being a child of the great depression and WWII era. Wasn't really much of a drinker just kept around for guests.
I found some Crow, Jack Black and a variety of McCormick s gins and vodka's and mixers. But the real find was a unopened bottle of Old Grandad bottled in bond 100 proof. I remember sneaking in as a young lad and pouring me a Grandad and mello yellow. I used to keep a bottle around for when felt like putting one on but its getting scarce around now.
This review made me chuckle.

Purchased at: Virginia ABC Store #338 - Waynesboro, Virginia
Purchased for: $20.28
Info on this bottle: Distilled DSP-KY-230. Bottled DSP-KY-14
Nose: Ruddy copper hued amber. Good viscosity in the bottle with oily slow legs.
Sweet nose overall. Cornbread; vanillia, and nugat, on a backdrop of tobacco smoke and charred oak. Some sharp florals.
Taste: Prickling (not pickling) spices with a mildly tannic tongue assault. Sweetness arrives mid-palete. Not as complex as the nose. Good solid bourbon flavor overall with a ragged start.
Finish: Tannicness continues, but not as strong. Plenty of warmth that should be called 'heat'. Drying oaken decay. Semi-sweet/tart. Smoke on the water.
Overall: AC/DC belting out Highway To Hell slightly out of tune and way too loud. I guess that's why I like it!

Glass - What glass??? I just slugged this shit down straight from the bottle.

It's better that way! Now hop on a Harley-Davidson and put something exciting between your legs!

RodInCanton 08-03-2014 11:17 AM

I've only seen it in Kentucky but a handle of Very Old Barton' s cost around $17 (this was in Bardstown so it may be more elsewhere) and is not a bad session whiskey. Give me a bottle of Rowan' s Creek if I am going to spend money but for my casual drinking or mixed drinks Very Old Barton' s cannot be beat price + tastewise...

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/for...isplaybottling

The Poz 08-03-2014 12:04 PM

Up here I'll pay almost $50 for a bottle of Eagle Rare. I see you guys are looking at around $35.

Johnny Vegas 08-23-2014 12:55 PM

got this today. kinda excited and hesitant at the same time. all 192 barrels used in the project are different recipes/charred wood/warehousing.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps230d16c1.jpg

KCrockaholic 08-23-2014 01:03 PM

It's from Buffalo Trace I see.

Let us know how it compares and the taste.

Johnny Vegas 08-23-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10842988)
It's from Buffalo Trace I see.

Let us know how it compares and the taste.

supposedly I have the option of going to the single oak project website and enter in this bottle I have and give my own review of the bottle. They're trying to find the perfect bourbon with this project and they encourage everyone who buys this put their review in. I'll let you know how it is. Not every liquor store is going to have #1 barrel so that in itself kinda makes it a one of a kind find if you can find it.

The Poz 12-03-2014 11:01 AM

Anyone try Orphan Barrel? Looks interesting.

http://www.orphanbarrel.com/#our-whiskeys

Love the packaging.
http://www.drinkmemag.com/wp-content..._BARREL_DM.jpg

penguinz 12-03-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 11163917)
Anyone try Orphan Barrel? Looks interesting.

http://www.orphanbarrel.com/#our-whiskeys

Love the packaging.
http://www.drinkmemag.com/wp-content..._BARREL_DM.jpg

Barterhouse is very good.

saphojunkie 12-03-2014 11:29 AM

Just got back from Tennessee and tried a bottle of Belle Meade. Two sons who discovered their family was an old whiskey distiller before prohibition and have brought it back to life. Drank this stuff all week and really liked it. It was almost a hybrid Tennessee sour/bourbon. Worth a try.

BigOlChiefsfan 12-03-2014 11:37 AM

The folks who own Buffalo Trace have done some swapping w/other distillers over the past 20 years. IMHO they've wound up w/a really great portfolio of bourbons, picking up some 'big shot' bottles as well as several of the better 'working man' bourbons to give those of us who don't plan to spend $80/750 for a 'single barrel' bottle.

The Very Old Barton is now in their stable, Barton is pretty much just making rum/vodka, etc... for their own label, and making bourbon that gets marketed under other labels. VOB was never available in KS, but may start appearing on local shelves (I don't buy much anymore, it might be out there now)

Y'all fans of Buffalo Trace are right - it's a danged good bourbon for the money. And your W.L. Weller - a 'wheated' bourbon - is the basis for the Van Winkle bottles (When Julian Van Winkle sold off the family distillery and it's rickhoused bourbon, he kept 'the best' and marketed it himself. That's mostly gone now but he still picks the 'honey barrels' to use for Van Winkle w/the Buffalo Trace folks). That said, I think the Weller 10 year old is the best bargain most of yez will need to find. Good, smooth bourbon w/enough time in the wood to develop some nice mellow flavor.

Doc has me 'off the juice' for now as my gall bladder has been acting sassy. Y'all will have to drink a double to keep my share of the whusky flowing like normal. We don't want to have any more distillers going out of bidness just because I'm on the sidelines.

NewChief 12-03-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 11163945)
Just got back from Tennessee and tried a bottle of Belle Meade. Two sons who discovered their family was an old whiskey distiller before prohibition and have brought it back to life. Drank this stuff all week and really liked it. It was almost a hybrid Tennessee sour/bourbon. Worth a try.

This has become the goto whiskey for my favorite bar. The bartenders are constantly pushing it. I like it pretty well.

Mother****erJones 12-03-2014 02:48 PM

Half done with a bottle Basil Hayden. Very good

The Poz 09-12-2015 05:07 PM

Just cracked a bottle of Basil Hayden's and mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm. Delightful!

KCTitus 09-12-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 11163957)
....Y'all fans of Buffalo Trace are right - it's a danged good bourbon for the money...

Hell yes it is...a nice nip in the air tells me its time for bourbon, bidges...cracking a bottle of buffalo trace as we speak.

Bewbies 09-12-2015 09:12 PM

I'm smoking a toro sized La Flor de las Antillas paired with a couple fingers of Makers Mark, out on my patio in the earliest 60 degree night I remember here in Atlanta.

I love how Makers gets all caramelly(is that a word) when it's poured from a cold bottle...

KCTitus 09-12-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 11720080)
I'm smoking a toro sized La Flor de las Antillas paired with a couple fingers of Makers Mark, out on my patio in the earliest 60 degree night I remember here in Atlanta.

I love how Makers gets all caramelly(is that a word) when it's poured from a cold bottle...

Does it get any better? I think not...

Bewbies 09-12-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 11720088)
Does it get any better? I think not...

Maybe a 60 degree Sunday night in early February celebrating a KC win in the last football game of the year.., :)

KCTitus 09-12-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 11720106)
Maybe a 60 degree Sunday night in early February celebrating a KC win in the last football game of the year.., :)

Ok...you win...even in my neck of the woods there aint no 60 degree Sunday nights in February. :)

Prison Bitch 09-12-2015 09:27 PM

Having some Knob Creek right now. Better than Makers.

KCTitus 09-12-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11720123)

Dunno...never been a fan of the Knob...it's not nearly as smooth as a few others for the price.

philfree 09-12-2015 09:35 PM

Last evening I had a Smoked Manhattan make with Makers. That's a pretty neat cocktail. They infuse the bourbon with a hickory smoke from a smoke gun. It was good.

Bewbies 09-12-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Even though you're wrong, it's nearly impossible to lose when drinking bourbon.

rocknrolla 09-12-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10695312)

Had some last weekend, It is so smooth, I'll be drinking more.

Prison Bitch 09-12-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 11720149)
Even though you're wrong, it's nearly impossible to lose when drinking bourbon.

Dude at liquor store told me to out down the makers and try Knob. Dude had a pony tail and tats, but he knows bourbon

Mother****erJones 09-12-2015 11:55 PM

Had two double of bulleit tonight. Let's get em today boys!

|Zach| 09-13-2015 12:16 AM

Had Blanton's for the first time and really enjoyed it. This is sort of a new world to me.

Really got into Jameson Irish Whiskey...though around the house I often enjoy Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

Kaepernick 09-13-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 11164274)
Half done with a bottle Basil Hayden. Very good

Basil Hayden is proof you don't have to spend $60-$80 to get a good Bourbon.

Kaepernick 09-13-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Whether you prefer Makers Mark or Knob Creek is strictly personal preference. I prefer Makers but they are really neck and neck. And I prefer Woodford Reserve to either of them, but they are all peas in a pod -- just personal preference.

I think Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are great at price point but don't rise to the level of the Bourbons listed above.

Kaepernick 09-13-2015 01:04 AM

Has anybody tried Angel's Envy?

Coyote 09-13-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 11720325)

Yes. Routinely drink it as 1 of my staples. Smooth. Not in order but my staples:
Angels Envy, Breckenridge Special Release, Hudson 4 grain, Makers. I'm just about to try a Missouri Bourbon called Montgomery County from Wood Hat Distillery. I also like an Iowa Bourbon from Cedar Ridge I tend to go with small distilleries except for Angels envy and Makers Mark.

shitgoose 09-13-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

One of my favorites along with Jeffersons Ocean

phisherman 09-13-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Angel's Envy is a great, easy sipper. The port barrel finish really adds a dark, red fruit element that makes for an interesting pour. Smooth as silk.

phisherman 09-13-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 11720317)
Whether you prefer Makers Mark or Knob Creek is strictly personal preference. I prefer Makers but they are really neck and neck. And I prefer Woodford Reserve to either of them, but they are all peas in a pod -- just personal preference.

I think Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are great at price point but don't rise to the level of the Bourbons listed above.

Makers and Knob Creek are completely different whiskeys. Makers is a wheated bourbon, very smooth and rich, while Knob is all corn and rye, much more spicy and bold. Neither are top tier whiskeys by any measurement, but they are solid.

Woodford Reserve is OK, but a bit overpriced. I actually really like Buffalo Trace and Bulleit both more than I like Woodford.

If you truly want both quality and value, it doesn't get much better than Old Granded 114 or Evan Williams 1783. Neither will run more than $20-25 and are just fantastic every day pours, either neat or in cocktails.

NewChief 09-13-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 11720625)
Makers and Knob Creek are completely different whiskeys. Makers is a wheated bourbon, very smooth and rich, while Knob is all corn and rye, much more spicy and bold. Neither are top tier whiskeys by any measurement, but they are solid.

Woodford Reserve is OK, but a bit overpriced. I actually really like Buffalo Trace and Bulleit both more than I like Woodford.

If you truly want both quality and value, it doesn't get much better than Old Granded 114 or Evan Williams 1783. Neither will run more than $20-25 and are just fantastic every day pours, either neat or in cocktails.

Agree with all of this. I buy the EW 1783 by the half gallon. Great, great value, and is my daily drinker.

I used to really like Makers, but I'm not that big of a fan any longer. Just a little too smooth and single note for my tastes, now.

Kaepernick 09-13-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote (Post 11720474)
Yes. Routinely drink it as 1 of my staples. Smooth. Not in order but my staples:
Angels Envy, Breckenridge Special Release, Hudson 4 grain, Makers. I'm just about to try a Missouri Bourbon called Montgomery County from Wood Hat Distillery. I also like an Iowa Bourbon from Cedar Ridge I tend to go with small distilleries except for Angels envy and Makers Mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shitgoose (Post 11720487)
One of my favorites along with Jeffersons Ocean

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 11720607)
Angel's Envy is a great, easy sipper. The port barrel finish really adds a dark, red fruit element that makes for an interesting pour. Smooth as silk.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will try. Great suggestions in this thread.

farmerchief 10-05-2015 01:58 PM

Very fascinating thread, like to keep checking it on a regular basis! Do most of you guys like these bourbons on the rocks or with water, to get the best flavor and enjoyment?
thanks,
Jim

phisherman 10-05-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerchief (Post 11777395)
Very fascinating thread, like to keep checking it on a regular basis! Do most of you guys like these bourbons on the rocks or with water, to get the best flavor and enjoyment?
thanks,
Jim

That's mostly a preference thing. I typically enjoy my whiskey neat, but I have had plenty of pours that benefited greatly from a splash or two of water (typically high octane barrel-strength stuff like Stagg Jr. or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof).

Johnny Vegas 10-05-2015 03:23 PM

its bourbon season!! Fall is when all the rare bottles get released. Happy hunting. Landed a 4 Roses Small Batch Limited Edition. Waiting on the 2015 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and the BTAC bottles. George T Stagg is gonna be hard to find this year. They had an 85% evaporation tally on their Stagg barrels so all the barrels only had a gallon or two of whiskey when they opened them up.

phisherman 10-05-2015 05:55 PM

Yes, BTAC will be upon us soon. Gotta get that WLW and 18 year Saz fix! Got Handy Rye and George T. Stagg last year and I still have almost all the Stagg left. That stuff is like rocket fuel!

The Poz 10-05-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerchief (Post 11777395)
thanks,
Jim

I find the older I get, the fewer cubes I use. Maybe my taste buds are diminishing, maybe I'm acquiring more of a taste for the finer things or maybe, both.
Now and again I'll use http://getamazeballs.com. Keeps your drink nice and cold without diluting with water.

dls6501 10-05-2015 07:41 PM

Just picked up this beaut this weekend (not my pic ftr):

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/image...ch-125-08c.jpg

InChiefsHeaven 10-05-2015 07:44 PM

I like it on the rocks mostly. It's just how I've always drank it. The higher quality though, the better, because the ice melting helps to mellow the whiskey a little.

My mom used to drink it with water, but I've never tried that. I also like it cold. I think I should look into those maze balls...