ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Browns sign Kareem Hunt (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321263)

Setsuna 02-11-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101666)
Seriously, you guys are ****ing reeruned if you don’t see what that situation could’ve turned into.

The entire Chiefs organization literally would’ve been labeled women beater apologists forever and it would’ve been a PR nightmare.

To pretend it would’ve been anything else is ignorant as ****. Do you pay attention to what’s going on in our society?

:shake: No use talking to a wall :shake:

Eleazar 02-11-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101717)
Do you think the Chiefs would cut Pat for merely lying? What if he hoops it up this weekend at his house?

Because shooting baskets is totally the same as assaulting numerous people, including women.

srvy 02-11-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101717)
Do you think the Chiefs would cut Pat for merely lying? What if he hoops it up this weekend at his house?

If he lied to the owner multiple times im sure CHunt would after all he released his league rushing leader.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-11-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14101695)
Nah, just let him go. Good RB's are a burden. It's almost always a mistake to pay them, and when they're good and your fan base has an affinity for him, you almost always have to pay him.

We've seen his production replaced. We haven't seen the big plays in the same fashion as Hunt, but they're there. They're just different.

Let some other team get forced into paying him. And i say this as a Kareem Hunt fan, and grudgingly wish him the best in Brown Town.

This.

I was always under the assumption that even before Hunt’s video came out and he was released that once his payday came, he’d be gone. Just not worth the money for a position that has little drop off from your great to average player. They also get injured quite often.

I’d rather spend the money on a better OL where the drop off from good to average players is so steep. Or any position for that matter. Teams that depend too much on running backs, especially nowadays, are on a path to nowhere.

staylor26 02-11-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14101730)
:shake: No use talking to a wall :shake:

Yea you’ve brought absolutely nothing to this discussion anyways moron.

Titty Meat 02-11-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101684)
Imagine being so ****ing stupid that you STILL don’t understand why the Chiefs had to trade Peters and cut Hunt.

Pitt Gorilla is such a ****ing idiot

dude went to the equivalent of a juco in one of the biggest shitholes in KS. What do you expect?

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14101732)
Because shooting baskets is totally the same as assaulting numerous people, including women.

So, it’s not about the lie. Some folks here are trying to make that argument.

Simply Red 02-11-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14101729)
Probably?

I'll answer that - Pitt you have no idea the level of personal success this poster has achieved in his life. I 'on the other hand' do - and yes - he's probably better at his job than Hunt was.

staylor26 02-11-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101746)

Yea because the magnitude of said lie is irrelevant :rolleyes:

Simply Red 02-11-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 14101740)
dude went to the equivalent of a juco in one of the biggest shitholes in KS. What do you expect?

KS?

Reerun_KC 02-11-2019 02:59 PM

Brilliant aigining for that team. They will be a force next year.

srvy 02-11-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101746)

Damn you stupid and bull headed that's what the chiefs organization sited for releasing him lying. Have you ever had a job? If you have you should know that your employer has to have a reason for firing an employee.

suzzer99 02-11-2019 03:03 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kareem Hunt Will Almost Certainly Make More Money in 2019 and 2020 Than He Would Have Under Original Chiefs Contract <a href="https://t.co/GsdEh8wjK4">https://t.co/GsdEh8wjK4</a></p>&mdash; The Big Lead (@thebiglead) <a href="https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1095064594974945280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101757)
Yea because the magnitude of said lie is irrelevant :rolleyes:

What, precisely, was his lie? What exactly did he say (so that we can determine magnitude)?

Kiimo 02-11-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14101759)
KS?

He's talking about Pittsburgh State

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14101773)
Damn you stupid and bull headed that's what the chiefs organization sited for releasing him lying. Have you ever had a job? If you have you should know that your employer has to have a reason for firing an employee.

In the NFL? A player can be cut for no reason whatsoever. The Chiefs do it often.

srvy 02-11-2019 03:06 PM

Brown have said the KH has been in alcohol and anger management counseling since he was released and will continue. I wish Kareem luck it seems as though he is trying good for him. I wonder if C.Hunt payed for it as he said he would?

displacedinMN 02-11-2019 03:07 PM

**** them

Kiimo 02-11-2019 03:07 PM

If I lied to my employer I'd be out on my ass.

displacedinMN 02-11-2019 03:08 PM

https://twitter.com/search?q=Browns&src=tren

Comedy gold

then Kap is mentioned-of course

stumppy 02-11-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14101773)

ROFL

Dumbass

stumppy 02-11-2019 03:11 PM

BREAKING: The Browns have signed Kareem Hunt. This move gives the team much needed stability at the kicker position.

ROFL

suzzer99 02-11-2019 03:17 PM

He might make more over the next two years. But I'd guess this incident cuts into what would have been his first big free agent payday.

TinyEvel 02-11-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14101320)
Freaking 1 year deal worth around 1 mil. Thats a steal.

Cupcak'n Patnah.

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14101825)
He might make more over the next two years. But I'd guess this incident cuts into what would have been his first big free agent payday.

You think Tyreek’s deal will be less for the Chiefs? That would be outstanding.

Frazod 02-11-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14101784)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kareem Hunt Will Almost Certainly Make More Money in 2019 and 2020 Than He Would Have Under Original Chiefs Contract <a href="https://t.co/GsdEh8wjK4">https://t.co/GsdEh8wjK4</a></p>&mdash; The Big Lead (@thebiglead) <a href="https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1095064594974945280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ain't that a kick in the head.

notorious 02-11-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14101326)
Nah, he's not going to blow this.

JMO.

Yep.

He will fade into a distant memory.

JohnnyHammersticks 02-11-2019 03:26 PM

As much as it went completely over my head in the moment, the Chiefs did the right thing. Hopefully it works out for Hunt. Everyone makes mistakes. Hunt made a really bad, really expensive one, which are the ones we tend to learn the most from, so hopefully he learns and moves on in the right direction. Sucks for everyone except Browns fans and the rest of the AFC West that it didn't work out in KC.

The Browns potentially now have one of the best backfields in the league with Hunt, Chubb, and Johnson.

Iowanian 02-11-2019 03:35 PM

Did they sign him as a Kicker?
/never too late for the hundredth time for a joke

Simply Red 02-11-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 14101794)
He's talking about Pittsburgh State

Pittsburg Kansas is a great town - not cool Billay! Them's my roots

suzzer99 02-11-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101831)
You think Tyreek’s deal will be less for the Chiefs? That would be outstanding.

Well Tyreek's situation has been known since he got drafted and will be much farther in the past when he signs his first big deal. So I'd guess it costs him something, but less pronounced.

My personal hope is that he gives a relatively team-friendly deal to the team who took a chance on him, has the best long-ball QB, and where maybe he feels safe.

crispystl 02-11-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14101624)
Better than going to the broncos.

Or even worse....the Patriots. NO thanks. Hunt would run for 250+ yards and 25+ broken tackles against our Swiss cheese defense.

srvy 02-11-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14101811)
ROFL

Dumbass

Whats dumbass about it smart guy?

TEX 02-11-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14101885)
Whats dumbass about it smart guy?

In any "Will to Work" state, one can be fired without cause.

srvy 02-11-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14101815)
BREAKING: The Browns have signed Kareem Hunt. This move gives the team much needed stability at the kicker position.

ROFL

So you laugh a lot to your stupid jokes I see. Must be a pretty lonely life you lead to chuckle at yourself.

Better go to DC and satiate your TDS and follow BEPs post around. ROFLROFL chuckle chuckle

Hammock Parties 02-11-2019 03:51 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In addition to the Kareem Hunt signing, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Browns</a> are also hiring former NFL RB Ray Rice to be Hunt&#39;s mentor. Very smart move by the team.</p>&mdash; lan Rapoport (@SportsTalkBarry) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsTalkBarry/status/1095047368821665793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2019</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Although the move will cause a lot of noise, it&#39;s important to note that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Browns</a> GM John Dorsey gave Kareem Hunt a second chance during Black History Month. Tremendous job of ending racism by Dorsey.</p>&mdash; lan Rapoport (@SportsTalkBarry) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsTalkBarry/status/1095043408509485057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2019</a></blockquote>

LMAO

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJZmIoWsAUiYun.jpg:large

ChiefBlueCFC 02-11-2019 03:51 PM

So Kareem apologizes for the February incident but not the one in June? Or the one at power and light after the Chiefs blew it against the Titans? Its just odd that only the incident in February he's sorry for

srvy 02-11-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14101894)
In any "Will to Work" state, one can be fired without cause.

Well Missouri is not right to work.

saphojunkie 02-11-2019 03:56 PM

This also seems like a favor from Dorsey. If Hunt is going to be suspended, then he needs to be on a team for that to count. You take the 8 games or whatever, let him serve them, and then you control his rights. Even if he doesn't play next year, it still puts you in the drivers seat when he is cleared to return.

Bold move by Browns. Don't know if it's smart, but it's certainly bold.

WhawhaWhat 02-11-2019 03:58 PM

I've been looking for a pay raise for a while. I need to find a drunk girl to kick in the ass so I can get this shit started.

Hammock Parties 02-11-2019 04:01 PM

Kareem is going to earn more with the Browns than he would have playing out his rookie deal in KC.

Apparently all you need to do to get a raise in the NFL is kick a bitch.

CoMoChief 02-11-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 14101909)
I've been looking for a pay raise for a while. I need to find a drunk girl to kick in the ass so I can get this shit started.

Can you play RB in the NFL...that seems to be a requirement.

baitism 02-11-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101408)
It’s better than keeping him and the media dragging Hill’s name through the mud too, which is 100% what would’ve happened.

Don't give a shit about the media. I want a Super Bowl win.

suzzer99 02-11-2019 04:09 PM

New rule - retroactive of course - if a team releases a player while on the exempt list, and another team picks up said player, the second team owes the first team a 3rd round comp pick.

bowener 02-11-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14101294)
Chiefs and browns will be the top 2 teams in the AFC for 15 plus years

I don't see it. Browns are the Browns, and I think at some point we will all see Mayfield fall apart if he or the team ever struggle. The expectations are still pretty manageable for the team and BM, however, the moment those expectations get ratcheted up too high and the team or BM can't meet them, I think we see it start to crack.

Mayfield reminds me a bit of Rivers with his attitude on the field. I see nothing wrong with it at all, but I am curious to see what happens for Mayfield when everything is going poorly for him for whatever reason.

Mahomes played at tech where nothing ever went right. Shit defense and shit offensive line. He made due and grew because of it. Mayfield left Tech because he thought he deserved the job but hadn't earned it yet. At OU he had the perfect set up for a QB, and yes he is talented, but so was the entire team and so he didn't have to struggle through much of anything.

I'm going to have to see another year of Browns before I can believe they will be anything over the next 15 years. With all that said they might be growing into their own at the exact right time when the Steelers are soon to lose Big Ben, and the Ravens seem to be going ahead with their young QB, which if it fails, will obviously set them back. Oh, and Bengals still have the mediocre ginger at QB.

WhawhaWhat 02-11-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14101914)
Can you play RB in the NFL...that seems to be a requirement.

If they want to sign me, I'll do anything they want.

staylor26 02-11-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 14101918)
Don't give a shit about the media. I want a Super Bowl win.

I don’t give a shit what the media thinks either.

But the truth is it would’ve been a PR nightmare that would still be going on. It would’ve been a huge distraction and with Pat right now that’s the last thing we want.

Some of you are seriously underestimating how ugly this could’ve gotten. Why do you underestimate the power of outrage?

Hammock Parties 02-11-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14101926)
With all that said they might be growing into their own at the exact right time when the Steelers are soon to lose Big Ben, and the Ravens seem to be going ahead with their young QB, which if it fails, will obviously set them back. Oh, and Bengals still have the mediocre ginger at QB.

The NFL is going to be helping the Browns as much as possible next season.

A Mahomes-Mayfield rivalry would be a huge draw and would be the next Manning-Brady.

Throw in a pair of long-suffering fanbases and you have great storylines.

TEX 02-11-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101930)
I don’t give a shit what the media thinks either.

But the truth is it would’ve been a PR nightmare that would still be going on. It would’ve been a huge distraction and with Pat right now that’s the last thing we want.

Some of you are seriously underestimating how ugly this could’ve gotten. Why do you underestimate the power of outrage?

So, will the Browns now experience a PR nightmare?

staylor26 02-11-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14101936)

No because people are reeruned and a lot of them will see this as him getting a second chance while the Chiefs wouldn’t have been allowed to do that themselves.

I’m not saying outrage culture is rational by any means.

And also, the Browns don’t also have a Tyreek Hill on the roster so those people could claim that they’re a team full of women beaters and the owner/HC/front office are domestic violence apologists.

You don’t cut Hunt, it’s just a matter of time before that becomes the narrative and a PR nightmare is born

DaFace 02-11-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

I'd imagine they will for a little bit. But much like Tyreek, the criticism will fade over time if Hunt performs on the field and otherwise keeps out of trouble.

TEX 02-11-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101943)
No because people are reeruned and a lot of them will see this as him getting a second chance while the Chiefs wouldn’t have been allowed to do that themselves.

I’m not saying outrage culture or rational by any means.

And also, the Browns don’t also have a Tyreek Hill in the roster so those people could claim that they’re a team full of women beaters and the owner/HC/front office are domestic violence apologists.

You don’t cut Hunt, it’s just a matter of time before that becomes the narrative and a PR nightmare is born

Gotcha. Just a terrible "Because Chiefs" situation.

RunKC 02-11-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard (Post 14101619)
You keep posting the same comment. The chiefs should'nt give two f***s about what they media thinks. The pats dont, the rams dont. They got to a SB. Fans will still go to games, still pay Clark Hunt's ridiculous parking fee and still buy the $10 beers.

Who on those teams did they keep that committed domestic violence?

I have no problem with the Chiefs keeping a drug addict like Josh Gordon or a ****ing asshole on the field like Suh if they were going all in trying to win, but domestic violence is some real shit.

Who has committed domestic violence and went on to a Super Bowl?

Aldon Smith? Reuben Foster? Greg Hardy? Ray Rice?

Here’s a list of domestic abusers in the nfl

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-11-2019 04:52 PM

Dorsey gonna have the Browns facing us in the AFCCG and I'm OK with that.

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14101943)

I’m not saying outrage culture is rational by any means.

And also, the Browns don’t also have a Tyreek Hill on the roster so those people could claim that they’re a team full of women beaters and the owner/HC/front office are domestic violence apologists.

Jesus, all of this is simply playing out in your head.

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14101977)
Who on those teams did they keep that committed domestic violence?

I have no problem with the Chiefs keeping a drug addict like Josh Gordon or a ****ing asshole on the field like Suh if they were going all in trying to win, but domestic violence is some real shit.

Who has committed domestic violence and went on to a Super Bowl?

Aldon Smith? Reuben Foster? Greg Hardy? Ray Rice?

Here’s a list of domestic abusers in the nfl

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

Hunt didn't commit domestic violence.

GloryDayz 02-11-2019 05:13 PM

NSFW

Spoiler!

SAUTO 02-11-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101789)
What, precisely, was his lie? What exactly did he say (so that we can determine magnitude)?

That he never left his room.

farmerchief 02-11-2019 05:16 PM

Chiefs should never have simply just dropped him! They should have suspended him indefinitely, and waited to see how things played out. They could have at least received a draft pick for him, if he was given the ok to resume his career by the league, IF they thought a PR nightmare was more than they wanted to indure. Now, they simply got "0" in return. What a waste.

TwistedChief 02-11-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

No. Because:

1. Hunt wasn't on the Browns when the incident occurred.
2. The Browns don't have a star WR who beat up his pregnant girlfriend before joining the the Browns just prior to Hunt's arrival prior to Hunt's incident.
3. The Browns haven't gone out of their way to use their credibility capital on any other players like Hill, Hunt, Foster, Rice, etc etc etc.
4. The Browns haven't had another domestic violence/murder-suicide in the last decade.

The Chiefs are guilty of all of the above. Hence, they have more reason to be eviscerated in the court of public opinion.

No Chiefs fan is happy about this. But accept the reality of the situation.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-11-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14101789)

Are you serious? I'm guessing he said he didn't assault the women, that she was banging on the door after they kicked her out because she was underage... I don't think he told them that they kicked her out because she wouldn't **** his friend, then kept her phone in the room, wouldn't open the door to give it back to her. Got sick of her banging on the door, went out in the hallway and pushed a bunch of people, knocked her down and then kicked her when she appeared dazed. That most likely was the lie...:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-11-2019 05:36 PM

Dorsey would sign Ayman al-Zawahiri if he thought it would win his team one more game over the course of a decade.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-11-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerchief (Post 14102019)
Chiefs should never have simply just dropped him! They should have suspended him indefinitely, and waited to see how things played out. They could have at least received a draft pick for him, if he was given the ok to resume his career by the league, IF they thought a PR nightmare was more than they wanted to indure. Now, they simply got "0" in return. What a waste.

In a perfect world that would have been great... However, as many have said on here, keep him on your team, even suspended, and it would have been a circus and brought up all the Tyreek Hill shit again. The Chiefs also new we would probably get 85% of his production with the other backs.

TwistedChief 02-11-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14102039)
Dorsey would sign Ayman al-Zawahiri if he thought it would win his team one more game over the course of a decade.

Your name is 'Hamas' Jenkins so I figure you're the authority on this type of thing. Do you think Dorsey started ISIS in playing the long game to take down Mahomes?

staylor26 02-11-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14102009)
Jesus, all of this is simply playing out in your head.

Get a ****ing clue dude.

Do you honestly think we would’ve been fine if we kept Hunt and the media started bringing Hill into it? Do you pay attention to what happens when you get labeled in today’s society? You really think the Chiefs could’ve just moved on from this with Hunt and Hill on the roster without constant backlash?

Kiimo 02-11-2019 05:40 PM

Does anybody here who watched that video think that the "slightly kicked" situation would have escalated a LOT more if his friend wasn't holding him back? Because that's part of it. He was out of control.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-11-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14102045)
Your name is 'Hamas' Jenkins so I figure you're the authority on this type of thing. Do you think Dorsey started ISIS in playing the long game to take down Mahomes?

Dorsey studied the writings of Sayyid Qutb and is now planning to institute Sharia law across the Ohio Valley.

It's up to Mahomes to destroy his caliphate.

philfree 02-11-2019 05:42 PM

Cleveland was the scene of the crime so I don't know if this is good for him or not. Home town and all I could see another incident happening.

Rausch 02-11-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 14102051)
Cleveland was the scene of the crime so I don't know if this is good for him or not. Home town and all I could see another incident happening.

It's inevitable.

And as far as punishment goes: he now plays for Cleveland...

staylor26 02-11-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 14102047)
Does anybody here who watched that video think that the "slightly kicked" situation would have escalated a LOT more if his friend wasn't holding him back? Because that's part of it. He was out of control.

No. He had a golden opportunity to hurt her and he didn’t.

TwistedChief 02-11-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14102050)

Clay... ready the Red Tribe Cinema. I'm thinking something on the order of Rambo 3.

excessive 02-11-2019 05:48 PM

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...226109265.html

Kareem Hunt signs with the Browns, the worst place he could go. Save us the posturing.

BY SAM MELLINGER

FEBRUARY 11, 2019 03:22 PM

Please come with me as we skip over the fake moralizing and manufactured outrage and see that Kareem Hunt was always going to play football again.

Might be sooner than expected, and going back to Cleveland is setting him up to fail — more on this in a minute — but he was always going to have another job in the NFL.

The Chiefs released the star running back last fall almost immediately after security video surfaced that showed him kicking a woman in a Cleveland hotel. That was the surprise. NFL teams don’t typically act so swiftly, and so decisively, particularly when it comes to removing a key part of a team that was shaping up to be a Super Bowl contender.

Does that sound cold? Good.

The NFL is cold. Many other businesses are, too. Sales, finance ... heck — journalism. We are all lines on a spreadsheet somewhere, and if our value exceeds cost, then we’re in luck.

Hunt’s financial cost is the NFL’s version of peanuts, and he is still just 23 and the was league’s leading rusher in his only full season as a pro. So he’s in luck. The Browns announced they had signed Hunt on Monday. They did so predictably, with a statement from general manager John Dorsey that referenced his personal history with Hunt — Dorsey oversaw the Chiefs front office that selected him in the NFL Draft.

Dorsey hit all the expected notes: said Hunt took responsibility for “his egregious actions” that the Browns “do not condone.” Hunt is undergoing treatment and subject to an NFL suspension, and Dorsey’s statement made clear that another incident “will not be tolerated.”

Hunt released a statement, too. Again, it hit most of the expected notes. He apologized both for the violence and for lying about it later. He thanked the Browns for the opportunity and expressed a commitment to be “a better and healthier person.”

Notably, neither man’s statement mentioned the victim, or even the existence of a victim, and both focused solely on the incident caught on video, ignoring a larger and troubling pattern that developed around Hunt.

Sadly, that meat-headed, narcissistic, optics-first-and-everything-else-second response was also expected.

The NFL and the men who operate it are not in the business of healing. They are not about self-improvement. They are about football — first, foremost and above everything else.

That is not a controversial statement, or even a criticism. There is no “gotcha” there. And that stance is not extreme. Those words are a reflection of what the NFL has shown itself to be about, over and over, year after year.

If the NFL generally and the men who run the league specifically truly cared about Hunt beyond his gifts on a football field, they never would have allowed him to sign with the Browns.

That’s nothing against the Browns, who with quarterback Baker Mayfield leading a nice collection of talent are well-positioned to be a contender for years.

It’s just that Cleveland is the last place Hunt should be, not the first. He grew up in a nearby suburb, in a home without his father around consistently. He has a mom and grandma and brother who love him deeply, but he’s also shown himself incapable of avoiding the traps of stardom in his hometown.

His problems — the ones we know about, anyway — have come in Cleveland, or with old influences from Cleveland, or both.

Those influences are strong enough that at one point the Chiefs pushed for Hunt to stay in Kansas City full-time, to concentrate fully on football and shrink the number of outside voices from which Hunt was hearing. Remember: That was before the video went public, back when the Chiefs believed Hunt when he told them that he had stayed in his room the night of the hotel incident.

Now, the Browns have essentially made it impossible to track or limit the influences that have already proved too much for Hunt to manage.

This doesn’t mean that Hunt will fail. This doesn’t mean Hunt will be arrested again. This doesn’t mean the Browns haven’t made a smart football decision.

Maybe Hunt has been scared straight. That’s possible, too. The Browns appear to be building something real, finally, with an offense on the rise and a defense loaded with talent. Whenever Hunt is able to join them — an eight-game suspension seems to be the minimum punishment he’s looking at — they will only be more talented.

But that’s a very different issue than the one Dorsey addressed in his statement, or the one the NFL would love for you to believe it cares about. Dorsey talked exclusively about Hunt becoming a better man, of following the league’s guidelines for personal conduct.

That is, to be kind, hogwash.

Hunt was cut less than three months ago. He just began counseling. He’s still on the commissioner’s exempt list. This is not the process for a team or league that prioritizes a young man’s recovery. This is the process for a team salivating at an elite talent available on the cheap.

That doesn’t make the Browns a bad organization. It makes them a business. It makes them what we should expect.

But spare us the empty posturing, especially when you’re putting the guy in the worst possible situation he could find.

Imon Yourside 02-11-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14101390)
Have fun hanging out with Mayfield.

They will probably simultaneously kill each other.

OnTheWarpath15 02-11-2019 05:53 PM

Mellinger nails it.

Personally, I give zero ****s about Hunt at this point for two reasons:

He left the team no choice by lying to them about not one, but apparently multiple incidents.

He's a ****ing RB, we would have been stupid to sign him past his rookie deal anyway. Most disposable position in the league.

He's Cleveland's problem now, meanwhile we're a SB contender without him.

Hammock Parties 02-11-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14102050)
Dorsey studied the writings of Sayyid Qutb and is now planning to institute Sharia law across the Ohio Valley.

CLASSIC 'HAMAS' POST HERE LADIES AND GERMS

NOW I'M INSPIRED TO INSERT MAHOMES INTO "RULES OF ENGAGEMENT"

"YES GODDAMMIT, WASTE THE MOTHER****ERS"

AT THE VERY LEAST RAMBO III

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14102054)
It's inevitable.

And as far as punishment goes: he now plays for Cleveland...

Fast-rising team. They'll win that division in the next couple of seasons. Chiefs Fan will then proclaim that they did it "in spite of" Hunt.

Pitt Gorilla 02-11-2019 06:03 PM

BTW, what happened to the idiots who said that NO team would sign Hunt?

Hammock Parties 02-11-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14102057)
Clay... ready the Red Tribe Cinema. I'm thinking something on the order of Rambo 3.

ROFL

god damn I didn't even read this post before I made mine

http://25.media.tumblr.com/fb759408d...dee4o1_500.gif

TwistedChief 02-11-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14102087)
BTW, what happened to the idiots who said that NO team would sign Hunt?

They became the people defending your views in this thread.

Sassy Squatch 02-11-2019 06:27 PM

Hard to disagree with Mellinger. Just hope he surrounds himself with better people this time around.