ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Pellet Grills (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322824)

Dunit35 05-08-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14258616)
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.

Guess I’ll mess with it. I don’t care about a sear but I know some people do.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 01:50 PM

.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0a5f7b519c.jpg

Buehler445 05-08-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14258628)
I had a Louisiana Grill. **** that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.

My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14258755)
go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14258764)
I think you need a yoder beuhler...

SAUTO, you must love to spend my money ROFL

tooge 05-08-2019 02:17 PM

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14259001)
Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.

I have not. I'll have to do that when I order the cold smoker

srvy 05-08-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14259000)
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.

Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

dirk digler 05-08-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14259078)
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

Wow I like that one. After reading this thread I was leading toward the Rec Tec Trailblazer but now...

dirk digler 05-08-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14259086)
Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

tooge 05-08-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14259155)
Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

srvy 05-08-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14259177)
I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14259204)
Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.

Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

srvy 05-08-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14259211)
Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

I am a creature of habit I stick with what I know works for me. I have never been satisfied with flavor of the smoke with pellets. When I first got the pellet grill I tried every pellet under the sun and none gave me the flavor that charcoal and wood chunks do so when I get serious its the wsm or my box smoker with wood chips or chunk.

theoldcoach 05-08-2019 05:19 PM

Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.

notorious 05-08-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 14258864)
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not

It works well the other way, too. Sometimes smoking just doesn’t want to go to the temp I want, so I’ll adjust it to a slower cycle.

notorious 05-08-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14259034)
My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

SAUTO, you must love to spend my money ROFL

Jesus. I guess we are just lucky.

Oh, igniters are similar in all smokers. Always have one on hand when they go out.