ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid: An unlikely head coach who became a football ‘CEO’ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268542)

bevischief 01-06-2013 04:53 AM

What is this pass they are talking about?

CoMoChief 01-06-2013 08:05 AM

That's funny what was said about Brett Favre.

"Now listen, Matt....see what Brett is doing over there? Whatever you do...DON'T DO THAT!!!!"

mdchiefsfan 01-06-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9287368)
What is this pass they are talking about?

I think it's what we pretend to do on 3rd and long right before we hand it to McCluster.

htismaqe 01-06-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRob (Post 9287173)
He's in a better place now. The last season was taking it's toll. Methinks he would have taken a year off but also heard KC was his first choice all along. At one point he lost about 50 lbs. Probably put about 30 back since.

He was just there too long. If Andy Reid is here for 10 years and making OL coaches into DCs, I'll be begging for him to be fired, too.

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9287462)
That's funny what was said about Brett Favre.

"Now listen, Matt....see what Brett is doing over there? Whatever you do...DON'T DO THAT!!!!"

Like I said in another thread, it shows an interesting contrast between Holmgren and Reid. Both are really good at coaching up QBs. Holmgren was the guy who disciplined the QB while Reid was the guy who believed in standing in the QB's corner. There's merit to both approaches. But again... you wonder if maybe McNabb's lack of intensity in big games might be the byproduct of Reid.

Eyemsougly 01-06-2013 10:05 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to make a new thread about this but apparently new members aren't allowed to so I'll post it here.

I have been a Philadelphia Eagles fan for the past 15 seasons, that is I started following the Eagles the year before Reid took over. The first year I was an Eagles fan our coach was Ray Rhodes and we went 3-13 and were the worst team in football, and probably one of the worst teams ever.

For me, all of my positive memories of the Eagles are tied up with Andy Reid and for me I was always just as much of an Andy fan as an Eagles fan which is why I am now shifting my loyalty from the Eagles to the Chiefs. I might stay an Eagles fan as well, but the Chiefs are now my first team.

I am here because I think that a lot of Chiefs fans have some serious concerns about Reid and I would like to address them from the perspective of someone who had to suffer through these past two terrible seasons.

The problems for Reid and the Eagles began immediately after the end of the 2010 season when it became clear that our defensive coordinator at the time, Sean McDermott (who had taken over for the legendary Jim Johnson after Johnson's sudden death from cancer), was totally incompetent. Reid new he needed to correct that problem but went about it in the totally wrong way. First thing he did was hire Jim Washburn as his Dline coach before he had hired a coordinator. The amount of DCs who would have been willing and able to work with Washburn's gimmicky "wide 9" system was very small so Reid moved his long time Oline coach, Juan Castillo to DC. Now, contrary to popular perception Juan actually was a pretty good Defensive Coordinator, he was just hamstrung by having to build his entire defense around a line playing in a scheme that put way too much pressure on the LBs and especially the safeties. In fact, it was after Juan was fired that the defense completely imploded as our new DC (Todd Bowles) and Washburn just could not get on the same page.

The biggest problem with moving Juan was that it left a hole at Oline coach where Juan had done a great job for years. Reid brought Howard Mudd out of retirement but Mudd had an entirely different scheme. Overnight the Eagles changed from a physical team to a finesse one, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. We ran the ball more but they were mostly outside runs and we were completely incapable of running on short yardage. Mudd's line did improve the pass blocking initially but the wheels fell off the wagon this year and we were simply unable to block anyone for the first 8 games of the season.

On special teams Reid hired Bobby April from the Bills who was regarded as the best ST coach in the league. April inherited a terrible unit and immediately set about making it even worse.

Basically what happened is Reid got away from what had worked for him for so long: physical play, bringing along his own guys and developing players in house. It ended up costing us the last two season and costing Reid his job. The early signs so far though are that in KC Reid intends to return to the approach he had during his first 12 years with the Eagles.

I don't believe that the Eagles ownership or front office had lost faith in Reid. If Jeff Lurie had his way, he's probably have been inclined to give Reid another year but Andy has always been absolutely detested by the Philadelphia Eagles fan base and the public pressure was just too much. A change of scenery is best for all parties involved.

The Chiefs do have some talent, I wouldn't be surprised if Andy has them competing for a playoff spot this year.

Rain Man 01-06-2013 10:29 AM

First off, thanks to the Eagles fans who are posting. We're probably not going to pay you much heed at this point, because you're telling us that the water at the oasis is dirty after we've been wandering in the desert. However, we appreciate your input and will likely come back to these posts in a year or two to see if your predictions come true.

This article interests me because I've mentioned a few times during the past season that Hasselbeck would be a great veteran to bring in as a backup and a mentor to Geno or Murray or whoever. You want a guy in that role who wasn't a spectacular natural talent but who learned the game well to succeed, and who isn't going to have the ego to expect the starting job. Hasselbeck is that guy.

The Iron Chief 01-06-2013 12:05 PM

I can hear the death cry of Omaha Omaha..

Andy Reids first note to the team after watching this past seasons footage..the use of this play call is banned from the confines of the practice field locker room and most definitely on the field of battle.

Hasselbeck & Geno sounds good to me.

I've been away this week and haven't chimed in much yet but this..

“I don’t have a lot of rules,” Reid told Philadelphia Magazine after Owens was acquired. “Be on time and work hard. That’s it. Everything else is based on common sense. … If you put too many rules or restrictions in there, guys don’t know what direction to go. It curbs their personalities.”

To shake that gray cloud thats clung over Arrowhead the past few yrs from the communication to the press to the players to the fans will be so refreshing its hard to put into words.

The gray cloud was actually fat asses shadow.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2013 01:08 PM

Thank you for the post, Eagles fan.

Can you comment on what was so bad about 9 wide, and can you comment on Reid's relationship with Eagles President Joe Banner?

milkman 01-06-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9288222)
Thank you for the post, Eagles fan.

Can you comment on what was so bad about 9 wide, and can you comment on Reid's relationship with Eagles President Joe Banner?

I know you asked Eagles fan, but I will chime in.

The 9 wide isn't a bad scheme if you have the players at LB to fill the gaps inside and make plays.

But a team with mediocre LBs is going to get burned time and again in that set.

You need big, strong, fast LBs to make that work.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2013 01:16 PM

There's basically no way we can run that then, barring an unforeseen acquisition of two stud 4-3 OLBs.

siberian khatru 01-06-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyemsougly (Post 9287685)
Hey guys, I wanted to make a new thread about this but apparently new members aren't allowed to so I'll post it here.

I have been a Philadelphia Eagles fan for the past 15 seasons, that is I started following the Eagles the year before Reid took over. The first year I was an Eagles fan our coach was Ray Rhodes and we went 3-13 and were the worst team in football, and probably one of the worst teams ever.

For me, all of my positive memories of the Eagles are tied up with Andy Reid and for me I was always just as much of an Andy fan as an Eagles fan which is why I am now shifting my loyalty from the Eagles to the Chiefs. I might stay an Eagles fan as well, but the Chiefs are now my first team.

I am here because I think that a lot of Chiefs fans have some serious concerns about Reid and I would like to address them from the perspective of someone who had to suffer through these past two terrible seasons.

The problems for Reid and the Eagles began immediately after the end of the 2010 season when it became clear that our defensive coordinator at the time, Sean McDermott (who had taken over for the legendary Jim Johnson after Johnson's sudden death from cancer), was totally incompetent. Reid new he needed to correct that problem but went about it in the totally wrong way. First thing he did was hire Jim Washburn as his Dline coach before he had hired a coordinator. The amount of DCs who would have been willing and able to work with Washburn's gimmicky "wide 9" system was very small so Reid moved his long time Oline coach, Juan Castillo to DC. Now, contrary to popular perception Juan actually was a pretty good Defensive Coordinator, he was just hamstrung by having to build his entire defense around a line playing in a scheme that put way too much pressure on the LBs and especially the safeties. In fact, it was after Juan was fired that the defense completely imploded as our new DC (Todd Bowles) and Washburn just could not get on the same page.

The biggest problem with moving Juan was that it left a hole at Oline coach where Juan had done a great job for years. Reid brought Howard Mudd out of retirement but Mudd had an entirely different scheme. Overnight the Eagles changed from a physical team to a finesse one, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. We ran the ball more but they were mostly outside runs and we were completely incapable of running on short yardage. Mudd's line did improve the pass blocking initially but the wheels fell off the wagon this year and we were simply unable to block anyone for the first 8 games of the season.

On special teams Reid hired Bobby April from the Bills who was regarded as the best ST coach in the league. April inherited a terrible unit and immediately set about making it even worse.

Basically what happened is Reid got away from what had worked for him for so long: physical play, bringing along his own guys and developing players in house. It ended up costing us the last two season and costing Reid his job. The early signs so far though are that in KC Reid intends to return to the approach he had during his first 12 years with the Eagles.

I don't believe that the Eagles ownership or front office had lost faith in Reid. If Jeff Lurie had his way, he's probably have been inclined to give Reid another year but Andy has always been absolutely detested by the Philadelphia Eagles fan base and the public pressure was just too much. A change of scenery is best for all parties involved.

The Chiefs do have some talent, I wouldn't be surprised if Andy has them competing for a playoff spot this year.

Welcome

KCSPORTSNUT 01-06-2013 01:53 PM

I still think Andy may try to bring Cassel around,even though he willl draft a QB and bring in competition.I just have a feeling he can do what Weiss did with Cassel

Hammock Parties 01-06-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSPORTSNUT (Post 9288381)
I still think Andy may try to bring Cassel around,even though he willl draft a QB and bring in competition.I just have a feeling he can do what Weiss did with Cassel

Weis didn't do anything with Cassel.

He sucked in 2010, and was exposed against good teams.

Saccopoo 01-06-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSPORTSNUT (Post 9288381)

http://jim777.com/images/banhammer_forecast.gif