ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Travel Agency (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323749)

scho63 07-09-2019 07:53 AM

I've been to 36 countries and traveled at least 600,000 miles and I've used a travel agent TWICE in life since 1985:

1. In 1987 I took a 10 week vacation to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Barbados, Rio De Janiero and Cayman Islands. I used Liberty Travel located in a mall and my travel agent named Linda arranged everything. It was pretty complex with a lot of side tours and other things. Well worth it. She also booked some of my earlier air tickets before Al Gore invented the internet.

2. In March 2000 I snuck into Cuba for two weeks from Toronto Canada on Grupo Taca airlines and used a travel agent in Windsor, Ontario Canada to make all arrangements and give me pointers so I wouldn't get arrested. I also took the train from Windsor to Toronto to fly out. We had an office in Windsor back during the dotcom era.

Haven't needed one since.....

Pape 07-09-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 14337400)
We are going to Japan. And I am wanting to squeeze in a stop at Pearl Harbor on the way. Time is the issue, we only have 2 weeks of vacation at work.

Yea, I know it's much cheaper to do it all ourselves, but we just want to enjoy the vacation. Just thought I would ask if anybody here had any recommendations :thumb:

One tip for you... dont pay to extend your stop in hawaii... most airlines will let you have an extended layover... I myself did the same thing you want to do flying back from Palau ... took a three day layover in Hawaii on the way back... well worth it

GloryDayz 07-09-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 14339405)
Typically booking direct and booking through a travel agency is a wash, but could depend on the desired activity - if they have a relationship with the places they are booking with, they will save a small amount of money vs booking direct.

Without being too snarky/elitist, my opinion would be:

Domestic travel - Do not bother.
Domestic-ish travel (Cruises, Mexico/Canada/etc) - Do not bother unless you are wanting to string together multiple "experiences" such as guided tours/timed events.
International Travel - Could be worth it, especially if visiting a country where English isn't widely spoken.

Quality post, and I think the latter is exactly what the OP is attempting.

GloryDayz 07-09-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14339556)
I've been to 36 countries and traveled at least 600,000 miles and I've used a travel agent TWICE in life since 1985:

1. In 1987 I took a 10 week vacation to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Barbados, Rio De Janiero and Cayman Islands. I used Liberty Travel located in a mall and my travel agent named Linda arranged everything. It was pretty complex with a lot of side tours and other things. Well worth it. She also booked some of my earlier air tickets before Al Gore invented the internet.

2. In March 2000 I snuck into Cuba for two weeks from Toronto Canada on Grupo Taca airlines and used a travel agent in Windsor, Ontario Canada to make all arrangements and give me pointers so I wouldn't get arrested. I also took the train from Windsor to Toronto to fly out. We had an office in Windsor back during the dotcom era.

**** you!!!!! :D

Over Yonder 07-09-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 14339405)
Typically booking direct and booking through a travel agency is a wash, but could depend on the desired activity - if they have a relationship with the places they are booking with, they will save a small amount of money vs booking direct.

Without being too snarky/elitist, my opinion would be:

Domestic travel - Do not bother.
Domestic-ish travel (Cruises, Mexico/Canada/etc) - Do not bother unless you are wanting to string together multiple "experiences" such as guided tours/timed events.
International Travel - Could be worth it, especially if visiting a country where English isn't widely spoken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14340389)
Quality post, and I think the latter is exactly what the OP is attempting.

Yep. Time is the biggest issue, but leaving the country is a serious thing we are thinking about, too. I would hate to end up rotting away in a Japanese prison because I wore a yellow shirt on a Tuesday or something. Of course, that's a joke, but the point is, different country, different customs and laws. Going through somebody that actually does this stuff for a living would be a big piece of mind issue. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14339474)
Exactly. I have only used a TA once in the last 25 years, (two years ago) but it was worth it. I normally search and book myself, but I had spent several hours trying to figure out how to get a fight back from Belize that would get me back in a day, without having to overnight someplace.

They charged $75 to handle all the details, but in that case it was worth it. I ended up having to use 3 different airlines and fly to some out of the way places, but I got back in a day. It beat having to waste an extra vacation day, to hang out in a hotel.

Biggest issue right here. I am burning most all the vacation time I will have left at the point we take this vacation. I did save back 3 days for "oh crap, something bad just happened" situations. But basically, want to consider myself wiped out of time off. If I end up in some screwed up situation where I have to use more time off work, I will be mucho unhappy :#

el borracho 07-10-2019 12:19 AM

FYI: there are two airports in Tokyo and they are not close to each other. Be sure you verify which one you are using.

GloryDayz 07-10-2019 06:27 AM

I just get Reerun_KC to fly me everywhere... At least until I can get my younger son to do the same...

cooper barrett 07-10-2019 06:42 PM

Share a plane with PMII and his parents.

cooper barrett 07-10-2019 06:44 PM

In 1988 you filed in US Bankruptcy court...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14339556)

Justify 08-10-2019 09:30 AM

Hi all!

GloryDayz 08-10-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justify (Post 14388139)
Hi all!

Well hi.

Kopinto 11-11-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olout (Post 14421264)
The travel agent has to get paid by you for their time or service ! There are so many travel sites which put together "trips" for travelers - these come at a cost to the traveler. You pay someone for their planning service. Personally, I enjoy the research and planning process too much to pass it off to someone else - and I'm too particular !

Actually agree. If you are going to visit a country for the first time it's better to ask a travel agent for help. But if you have been to the country for the umpteenth time teh it'd be reasonable to travel by your means ) imho.