ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Patrick Mahomes remains humble, deflects praise after record-setting day (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317482)

ptlyon 09-17-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSH (Post 13739626)
The quotes from Kelce and Conley stick out, because based on what I saw, they absolutely mean it.

I sat behind the Chiefs bench yesterday and my biggest takeaway was how calm and confident the entire team was considering what was transpiring on the field and the hostile environment. Even the defense. We as fans are getting there in terms of the ability to overcome so much due to this QB, but the team is already there after seeing this guy for the past year and a half. It's obvious that they know they have a star and the level of respect they have for a such a young guy is jarring. The guys love him and Pat just oozes confidence.

I was sitting there in complete confidence that they had this W throughout the game and I'm naturally pessimistic with this team. It was such a strange feeling. We are entering a very special era for this franchise.

And yes the Steelers fans tears tasted glorious. Just so helpless and witnessed meltdown after meltdown.

Post MOAR

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13739625)
This piece has a lot of good stuff in it but this part really stood out to me.

This is what great QBs do, they make everyone around them (on offense) better. It's still early but all signs are pointing that way. I agree with Clay in a way. Not that I want to see close games or the Chiefs getting behind and having to come back to win a game, but I am curious as to how Pat will handle something like that. I suspect that he will handle it like a boss, but you never know until it happens.

Watkins was playing like a beast in open space. Maximum effort every time he touched the ball.

chiefzilla1501 09-17-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13739115)
Better wheels than Marino.

I think the ceiling for Pat is Aaron Rodgers. That's an insane ceiling but he definitely has similar physical ability to Aaron. Time will tell if he can play at that extremely high level for many many years.

I think he's got two things working for him. One, his head coach is so far ahead of the game innovatively that his offense will stay a few steps ahead. Second, his quick decision making... That's been a real surprise and probably a product of good scheming.

You're right... We haven't needed to see Aaron Rodgers. A lot I think has to do with scheming these guys open. Another is that our OL has been solid. I don't look forward to it but it's going to be fun when mahomes wows the critics again with one of his most outstanding qualities - throwing on the run.

redfan 09-17-2018 08:03 AM

More TD passes than incompletions, no INTs. Overcame the Steelers (and the refs) in Pittsburgh. It's a brave new era, men.

Kiimo 09-17-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

The last in-person interview left for Mahomes was with Holthus for the Chiefs’ website. In five minutes, Holthus asked Mahomes all the usual questions. Both men smiled when discussing the upcoming home opener. Holthus ended his interview by asking Mahomes how he planned to celebrate the victory and his 23rd birthday.

“Probably nothing,” Mahomes told Holthus. “I’ll probably go home (tonight) and start watching film of the 49ers.”

I don’t care if it’s true or not. The fact that he knows how valuable that statement is is pretty telling. That’s the stuff that makes all the ‘do it the right way’ conservative fans cry with happiness and cream their jorts. Shrewd. And if it IS true... welp! Guess I’m a sucker for it too!

Reerun_KC 09-17-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 13739671)
I CAN'T!!!!!!!! I have been pining for this dude since he was drafted. I don't have to watch 30 games to see special talent.

Me either. 31 years as a fan and this is what we have all dreamed about.

Reerun_KC 09-17-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 13739717)
More TD passes than incompletions, no INTs. Overcame the Steelers (and the refs) in Pittsburgh. It's a brave new era, men.

Zero punter setups!!! ZERO. Unheard of in the modern NFL.

Chiefnj2 09-17-2018 08:32 AM

As much as I enjoyed watching Trent Green lead the offense years back, Mahomes is already looking so much better as a pure passer. The accuracy and speed that the ball is getting to the receivers down the field is really draw dropping.

It's looking very promising. Hopefully Jax won't have a blueprint to slow things down in a few weeks.

bowener 09-17-2018 08:41 AM

God dammit, I thought we deserved a great QB after all these years, but to receive a QB this ****ing good almost feels like we're cheating the universe.

I'm nearly 34, and it is so ****ing fantastic to realize I get to watch Mahomes lead this team into my 50s. Eventually it won't even matter what we have at wideout, just like the Pats. Even running back won't matter.

He is going to become the face of the NFL, too. He is a great human being, and a god-tier talent. We're going to start to get all the late night games, and as fans we're going to have to get used to receiving all the phantom roughing the QB penalties and disregarded OL holds. Season tickets are about to become so ****ing expensive.

tl;dr- we are ****ing blessed!

IowaHawkeyeChief 09-17-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 13739149)
I have said this before on the Planet, but Reid is following in the footsteps of Vermeil, and has to be stooped by cHunt or God before he wastes this offensive talent on a piece of [emoji90] Defensive Coordinator just because some ridiculous sense of loyalty. He was actually praising Bob Sutton after the game, saying he made great adjustments.

We have never won a playoff game with a QB we drafted. We have what appears to be a true franchise QB. We have the best group of wide receivers in team history. We have the best TE, and a running back who has already led the league in rushing and it's only his second year. But we have a terrible secondary, almost no pass rush to speak of, and a DC and defensive scheme and strategy that doesn't fit the personnel.

As fans of this franchise we deserve Patrick Mahomes. What we don't deserve is Greg Robinson 2.0 aka Bob Sutton.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

It's the Jimmy and Joes on defense as much as the x's and o's... We added Hitchens and I think our run defense is definitely better... Yesterday we got little pressure on the QB and when we wiffed on two sacks on 3rd downs that would have squelched TD drives. We need more of a pass rush but this has more to do with talent than scheme...

Mile High Mania 09-17-2018 08:49 AM

He sounds like a genuinely good dude and you have a stellar QB for the next long while... congrats. The NFL desperately needs a younger generation of QBs to step up and KC fans have waited a long time for this. Enjoy it.

Talisman 09-17-2018 11:45 AM

How hard was it for Reid to not put Mahomes in during the second half of the Titans playoff game? He knew he had to preserve Smith's trade value by keeping him in, all the while knowing he had a guy that could have gone in and moved the offense practically at will. Playing the painful long game.