ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Nikola Tesla (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291650)

Pitt Gorilla 10-19-2016 10:06 PM

PBS had a good documentary on Tesla last night.

Bob Dole 10-19-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 12494751)
Did it mention where he was pro-eugenics and thought people should require a license to breed?

So you agree he was a visionary?

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12492774)
Tesla was a ****ing c*nt. Ask Thomas Edison.

U srs?

Can't tell if u r being thick or displaying a natural level of dumb in the 99 percentile.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

Did it mention where he was pro-eugenics and thought people should require a license to breed?

I've noticed a lot of the crazy shit he believed is relatively overlooked.

Bash Edison, and ignore that alternating current is kinda important if you don't want your house to burn down.

While Edison fried elephants for public demonstration to try to win the Columbian Exposition contract drumming up electrocution fears.

Even though Edison's current technology would be impossible to roll out over any distance because it weakened so quickly once you got about a block away from the generator.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:06 PM

Anyone interested, I recommend Wizard, a thorough biography of Tesla.

Indian Chief 10-19-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12492798)
Kinda like how Edison didn't pay Tesla for his work on his generators?

The relationship between Tesla and Edison has been so incredibly skewed because of ridiculous and mostly unsubstantiated internet garbage. Tesla was a genius but lacked business sense. Edison was a genius when it came to business. That does not mean that Edison took complete advantage of Tesla and ruined his life, like some stories would have you believe.

Maybe I simply have the advantage of living in NJ where we have access to firsthand historical documentation and correspondence between Edison and Tesla that highlights their relationship. I'm not even a "pro-Edison" guy, as he definitely could be a dick at times.

If you're a "I love Tesla, and **** Edison" person, just take a second and think about where your information is coming from. If it's from an internet blog, I'd do a little more research. Both men have incredible stories and did amazing things in their lifetimes that have a profound influence on our modern lives.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12494872)
The relationship between Tesla and Edison has been so incredibly skewed because of ridiculous and mostly unsubstantiated internet garbage. Tesla was a genius but lacked business sense. Edison was a genius when it came to business. That does not mean that Edison took complete advantage of Tesla and ruined his life, like some stories would have you believe.

Maybe I simply have the advantage of living in NJ where we have access to firsthand historical documentation and correspondence between Edison and Tesla that highlights their relationship. I'm not even a "pro-Edison" guy, as he definitely could be a dick at times.

If you're a "I love Tesla, and **** Edison" person, just take a second and think about where your information is coming from. If it's from an internet blog, I'd do a little more research. Both men have incredible stories and did amazing things in their lifetimes that have a profound influence on our modern lives.

Edison was a cutthroat businessman. A genius also.

Tesla was his superior, and a terrible businessman.

Both flawed in their own right.

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12494872)

I don't care about either of these guys to be honest.

But did Edison compensate Tesla for his work or not?

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Bash Edison, and ignore that alternating current is kinda important if you don't want your house to burn down.

I thought Tesla invented AC..?

Stryker 10-20-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11412968)
Tesla was a genius out of his time. If you've never read this, you should do so:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

That was an awesome read. Thanks!

Great Expectations 10-20-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495145)

That's because he did.

KranzDictum 10-20-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12494815)

I watched it with my Daughter. I love PBS's American Experience but it wasn't one of their better episodes, I think it was more because Tesla didn't do all that much past the AC Motor, I guess you could argue radio but he had the foundation not a working model of it.

Tesla is ranked justly in our society. He is the type of guy who needed a good manager who functioned in the role of music producer to keep him focused.

Super smart guy, just a little more nuts than most people...

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12495910)
I watched it with my Daughter. I love PBS's American Experience but it wasn't one of their better episodes, I think it was more because Tesla didn't do all that much past the AC Motor, I guess you could argue radio but he had the foundation not a working model of it.

Tesla is ranked justly in our society. He is the type of guy who needed a good manager who functioned in the role of music producer to keep him focused.

Super smart guy, just a little more nuts than most people...

Sounds like he was hot on the trail of a shit ton of other scientific breakthroughs that weren't made until a half-century later, if not more.

But, yeah. Dude sounds batshit ****ing insane.

Indian Chief 10-20-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495142)
I don't care about either of these guys to be honest.

But did Edison compensate Tesla for his work or not?

Tesla was on staff at the Edison lab and was paid for his work. Later in his life, Tesla claimed that he did work on Edison's generator and Edison did not pay him for it. There is no clear cut answer on what their agreement was. Edison may have stiffed him, or Tesla made it up. No one aside from those two men knows what actually happened in that case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495145)

Tesla did not invent AC, and in fact he wasn't even the first person to work on it. He was one of the individuals that was instrumental in it's development however. Faraday, Pixxii, Westinghouse, and Ferraris are some of the other big names that contributed to its development.

Halfcan 10-21-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12494815)

Yes I watched it. What a crazy dude- can you imagine sending "invisible" messages through the air-to any point in the world? :D

Tried to build the first wireless tower. He was 100 years before his time. Could have been the richest person in history but gave up all his patents to Westinghouse. Who does that?

Pretty sad story all the way around. He was a man outta time...man outa time...