ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

patteeu 11-07-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7150010)
Sweet.

Now that I know of someone who has seen this thing... I got a question...

How come it's called The Karate Kid, but in the previews, Jackie Chan keeps teaching the kid Kung Fu? Set the record straight for me.

Because if they had called it The Kung Fu Kid, people would have called it a ripoff instead of a remake. :shrug:

irishjayhawk 11-07-2010 10:42 AM

I saw Winter's Bone on Friday night.

It was very, very well done. But I cannot shake this comparison - and I'll probably be laughed off the planet - it reminded me of a serious, more realistic Fargo; where the location becomes a character of its own. In the way Fargo supposedly captured the far north, Winter's Bone captures the backhills of Missouri. And it's a place I never want to venture.

In fact, there should be a charity setup designed to get kids out of places like that.

Red Brooklyn 11-09-2010 09:36 AM

The End Of The Affair.

Gorgeous. Heartbreaking. Outstanding. Near perfect filmmaking. Loved it.

D-Train6906 11-09-2010 06:26 PM

Anyone ever seen Rise of the Foot Soldier?

blazzin311 11-09-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Train6906 (Post 7161485)
Anyone ever seen Rise of the Foot Soldier?

Yup...I thought it was pretty good for what it's worth. Could it have been better sure. I mean in parts maybe it seemed kind of disjointed, but overall definitely not bad in my opinion. Keep in mind it's based off of real accounts of a true story. That always makes movies like these better in my opinion...knowing that there's some bit of truth behind it no matter how much exactly. Kind of reminded me of a poor man's Guy Ritchie movie or something. You might like it.

Aries Walker 11-11-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7150010)
Sweet.

Now that I know of someone who has seen this thing... I got a question...

How come it's called The Karate Kid, but in the previews, Jackie Chan keeps teaching the kid Kung Fu? Set the record straight for me.

I think it mostly has to do with Will Smith being a movie whore who's ramming his kids down our cinematic throats, regardless of actual talent, and he's willing to trample on any childhood memories we might have in order that his irritating spawn become the next Barrymore family.

Short version, Hollywood doesn't care as long as it pays, which it did.

noa 11-11-2010 09:53 AM

Saw the Girl Who Played with Fire last night. Thought there was a pretty significant drop off between the first and second movies and didn't really think that was the case with the books.

Sure-Oz 11-11-2010 11:39 PM

Unstoppable sitting at 90% on RT with over 60 reviews...

Really surprised at how it is

Sure-Oz 11-11-2010 11:39 PM

Unstoppable sitting at 90% on RT with over 60 reviews...

Really surprised at how it is

mikeyis4dcats. 11-12-2010 09:54 PM

saw Winters Bone tonight, very good movie, glad you guys recommended it.

irishjayhawk 11-12-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7164413)
Saw the Girl Who Played with Fire last night. Thought there was a pretty significant drop off between the first and second movies and didn't really think that was the case with the books.

Interesting. I didn't see any drop off. But I didn't see the ramp up that the second book had. I did prefer many aspects of Fire over Tattoo but nothing major.

I'm going to see Nest this Tuesday. It's weird because in the second book she's not supposed to be "normal" looking yet in the second movie she is. Then in the third book, she's supposed to be more "normal" and in the third movie she reverts to movie 1's eccentric style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7167322)

It's one of those "good movies" but it's hard to tell people that when you discuss, sometime thereafter, the actual premise. That and it's depressing. (Or uplifting as it makes you thankful you didn't grow up in that dogshit.)

Fritz88 11-13-2010 09:19 AM

I just finished watching Inception.

Overrated.

I like DiCaprio a lot. He, as usual, delivered. But the movie itself was decent, nothing extraordinary.

Fritz88 11-13-2010 09:44 AM

I watched the Secret In Their Eyes a couple of weeks ago.

It's an Argentinean movie. In Spanish, of course. However, if you are into a movie that truly lives up to its title, then you should check this one out.

Here are some general observations...
-Brilliant acting and directing.
-Sound track is sick and blends perfectly with every scene.
-The intense emotions between the protagonists, and how well they convey them is something I have rarely seen in any other movie.

Fritz88 11-13-2010 09:47 AM

Anyone up for a twisted black Comedy should consider watching The World's Greatest Dad. I loved it. Really captures this hidden hypocrisy that many of us have. How we overly glorify those of us who die. Even if they do not deserve an ounce of it.

NewChief 11-13-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7167322)

Watched it last night as well. It definitely lived up to the hype. Excellent flick.