ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

Hammock Parties 04-02-2019 04:04 PM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...69&oe=5D37F1AE

listopencil 04-04-2019 03:27 AM

I did finally give this series a shot. Season one was a pile of shit. Meandering plotlines and undeveloped characters. Stiff acting and amateurish dialogue. The Klingons were stupid as **** in every possible way. Should have been called Star Trek: Reaction Shots And Soliloquies. Just...garbage. The second season started out in similar fashion. It has tightened up recently though. The last few episodes have actually been good.

Frazod 04-04-2019 07:52 PM

I'm really enjoying this season, but mainly because of Pike and Spock. When it comes to the permanent cast, my feelings range from ambivalence (Saru and Burnham) to annoyance (Tilly) to really strong dislike (Stammets). I like Georgiou, but she's only a recurring character. And the rest of the cast are basically cut-outs.

Once Pike and Spock return to the Enterprise, then what?

Discuss Thrower 04-05-2019 10:10 AM

The Pike sequence on the planet in the last episode is why prequels that actively deal with prior established canon aren't inherently bad.

****in' A

Frazod 04-05-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14195469)
The Pike sequence on the planet in the last episode is why prequels that actively deal with prior established canon aren't inherently bad.

****in' A

Yeah, that actually gave me chills. Despite it's many flaws, Discovery is the first incarnation of Star Trek since the original to actually reference the events of the original pilot.

I really wish they'd spin off a Pike-era Star Trek set on the Enterprise.

Discuss Thrower 04-05-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14195625)
I really wish they'd spin off a Pike-era Star Trek set on the Enterprise.

The writers aren't talented enough to tell TOS/TNG type stories, IMO. They'd be wasting Peck and Mount in a big way.

007 04-06-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14195918)
The writers aren't talented enough to tell TOS/TNG type stories, IMO. They'd be wasting Peck and Mount in a big way.

I'm shocked they didn't make Pike a woman and Spock gay.

Jamie 04-12-2019 03:30 PM

It seems like they put a lot of effort into that Enterprise bridge to only use it in a couple episodes...

Spoiler!

Frazod 04-12-2019 08:03 PM

Despite whatever else they've ****ed up in this show, this incarnation of the Enterprise is a ****ing Babe Ruth Grand Slam Home Run. :thumb:

007 04-12-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14204465)
Despite whatever else they've ****ed up in this show, this incarnation of the Enterprise is a ****ing Babe Ruth Grand Slam Home Run. :thumb:

Yeah, Enterprise looks pretty kickass.

007 04-12-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14204137)
It seems like they put a lot of effort into that Enterprise bridge to only use it in a couple episodes...

Spoiler!

God I hope not.

It was my understanding they were going to run with a different concept and cast every couple years. So far they have gone completely serial.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14204564)
God I hope not.

It was my understanding they were going to run with a different concept and cast every couple years. So far they have gone completely serial.

If Tilly and Burnham weren't the anchors for such an idea that might be something.

No offense to Martin-Green or Wiseman's acting chops, I mean to say.

But so far Isaacs and Mount have driven the two seasons with some good moments from Yeoh. And it's taken the writing staff a year to figure out how to get the most out of Burnham.. even though they are WAY too intent on making her a martyr all the ****ing time.

Frazod 04-13-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14204773)
If Tilly and Burnham weren't the anchors for such an idea that might be something.

No offense to Martin-Green or Wiseman's acting chops, I mean to say.

But so far Isaacs and Mount have driven the two seasons with some good moments from Yeoh. And it's taken the writing staff a year to figure out how to get the most out of Burnham.. even though they are WAY too intent on making her a martyr all the ****ing time.

Pike is awesome. He's like a combination of the best parts of Kirk and Picard, and the way they've done up the Enterprise is completely awesome. I really hope they spin that off into it's own series. Probably won't happen, though. I simply find it hard to imagine that I'll continue to give a crap about the principal cast once Pike and Spock are gone.

listopencil 04-13-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14204822)
Pike is awesome. He's like a combination of the best parts of Kirk and Picard, and the way they've done up the Enterprise is completely awesome. I really hope they spin that off into it's own series. Probably won't happen, though. I simply find it hard to imagine that I'll continue to give a crap about the principal cast once Pike and Spock are gone.

The bridge is too well lit. Bah, humbug. I do like Pike quite a bit though. I'd watch a pre-Kirk reboot with Pike, Spock, and #1 with these actors. I don't recall Bones being a gay black man and I don't recall Scotty being a grumpy lesbian, but I could deal with it.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14204841)
The bridge is too well lit. Bah, humbug. I do like Pike quite a bit though. I'd watch a pre-Kirk reboot with Pike, Spock, and #1 with these actors. I don't recall Bones being a gay black man and I don't recall Scotty being a grumpy lesbian, but I could deal with it.

Too bright?