ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2017-2018 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306817)

KChiefs1 03-23-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13484190)
God I hope we can do something of significance soon. It's embarrassing seeing what should be an inferior program like k-state with an inferior coach put us to shame. I wouldn't put money on an elite 8 trip any time soon.

Huh?

You do realize Cuonzo turned chicken shit into chicken salad this year right?

duncan_idaho 03-23-2018 07:14 AM

If Kim Anderson had been a semi-competent coach who just didn’t get it done (at less than historically bad levels) and maybe landed a couple of local good-not-great recruits who Mizzou should be able to land... guys like Tyler Cool of Iowa and Xavier Sneed at Kansas State, how much different is Year 1 for Cuonzo?

Picture Mizzou with a legit, athletic, skilled 4 like Tyler Cook and a long, athletic sharpshooter like Xavier Sneed on the wing instead of Reed Nikko and Mitchell Smith.

How different is that?

GloryDayz 03-23-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13484389)
If Kim Anderson had been a semi-competent coach who just didn’t get it done (at less than historically bad levels) and maybe landed a couple of local good-not-great recruits who Mizzou should be able to land... guys like Tyler Cool of Iowa and Xavier Sneed at Kansas State, how much different is Year 1 for Cuonzo?

Picture Mizzou with a legit, athletic, skilled 4 like Tyler Cook and a long, athletic sharpshooter like Xavier Sneed on the wing instead of Reed Nikko and Mitchell Smith.

How different is that?

MIZZOU says that sort of thing a lot. Perhaps next year we'll find out. Oh, "next year", another thing said a lot around MIZZOU. We can only "hope" (another MIZZOU Atletics'ism!!), the success of this year lands us some of those top recruits. We'll see.

duncan_idaho 03-23-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13484419)
MIZZOU says that sort of thing a lot. Perhaps next year we'll find out. Oh, "next year", another thing said a lot around MIZZOU. We can only "hope" (another MIZZOU Atletics'ism!!), the success of this year lands us some of those top recruits. We'll see.

It’s not a “next year” type thought for me - just pointing out that Martin’s year 1 was made more challenging because ole Kermit was so incompetent, he couldn’t even land easily attainable in-state players after hiring their AAU coach (who was a father figure to one of them).

Tl;dr

**** Kim Anderson

Chiefspants 03-23-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13484430)
It’s not a “next year” type thought for me - just pointing out that Martin’s year 1 was made more challenging because ole Kermit was so incompetent, he couldn’t even land easily attainable in-state players after hiring their AAU coach (who was a father figure to one of them).

Tl;dr

**** Kim Anderson

I heard that guy just needed more time.

baitism 03-23-2018 02:26 PM

When is MPJ deciding to come back?

Pasta Little Brioni 03-23-2018 02:31 PM

Lol I'm sure he's long decided to jump ship

duncan_idaho 03-23-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 13485162)
When is MPJ deciding to come back?

Whenever his NBA team has a break in the schedule.

He gone.

And if little brother is gone, too, they’ll all be gone. Except for whichever girl plays basketball at Mizzou.

gblowfish 03-23-2018 03:16 PM

I don't know of any degree program at Mizzou that will make him as much money as going to the NBA.

Although Ken Lay (The Enron Guy) was a Mizzou Grad, and he embezzled an impressive stash of lettuce.

Best22 03-23-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13485268)
I don't know of any degree program at Mizzou that will make him as much money as going to the NBA.

Although Ken Lay (The Enron Guy) was a Mizzou Grad, and he embezzled an impressive stash of lettuce.

Stan Kroenke got his MBA at Mizzou

TrebMaxx 03-23-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13485293)
Stan Kroenke got his MBA at Mizzou

Stan plain out married up! He is all Wal-Mart money.

Mosbonian 03-24-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13485239)
Whenever his NBA team has a break in the schedule.

He gone.

And if little brother is gone, too, they’ll all be gone. Except for whichever girl plays basketball at Mizzou.

I see MJP leaving and going to the NBA.....I think that is a foregone conclusion regardless of what others might think.

But I could see Jontay hanging around for next year and putting himself in a position to be a Top 5 pick, and honestly he could use some refinement.

Tillmon...if someone gets inside his head and tells him to go this year, it would be crazy. He definitely needs at least another year to refine his game and learn how to stay out of foul trouble. He has good potential but at this point he would get eaten up in the NBA and probably end up playing in the CBA or in Europe.

OKchiefs 03-26-2018 06:17 PM

No posts yet about Porter officially declaring for the draft?

Overall he helped with recruiting, but not much else. I'll be glad to get the program running in a year or two with a pipeline of players who are going to stay and have an impact. I'd prefer to stay away from the one and done types.

On another note, let's also pray that we can go a season without our entire depth at guard quitting on the team.

WhawhaWhat 03-26-2018 06:20 PM

Really think Mizzou could have benefited from another year with MPJ.

Titty Meat 03-26-2018 06:39 PM

Dru Smith

HonestChieffan 03-26-2018 06:43 PM

Can't blame him. He wont benefit from another year there and a possible train wreck. Its a Mizzou thing.

TribalElder 03-26-2018 07:01 PM

Get that money while you can, smart move

Team lost more games than they won when he was playing if I remember correctly

BryanBusby 03-26-2018 07:02 PM

No way he was thinking anything but one and done after the injury.

OKchiefs 03-26-2018 07:05 PM

I hope he gets his game back, because those games he played showed he had a ways to go. He honestly hurt us more than he helped. Martin probably should have left him on the bench.

Best22 03-26-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13490949)
I hope he gets his game back, because those games he played showed he had a ways to go. He honestly hurt us more than he helped. Martin probably should have left him on the bench.

We had 6 scholarship players. We had 0 depth

MPjr HAD to play. It wasn't a "luxury." Playing Porter Jr was a necessity

OKchiefs 03-26-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13491039)
We had 6 scholarship players. We had 0 depth

MPjr HAD to play. It wasn't a "luxury." Playing Porter Jr was a necessity

Well, I guess so after Barnett messed up.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-26-2018 08:15 PM

Porter didn't have to play. Mizzou fans should be forever thankful that he cared enough to try when he wasn't close to 100%. In the era of AAU and NBA mercenaries, that's a pretty rare trait.

As far as his play when he came back, I can't say I'm too surprised. He had no legs. Do you guys remember what Jordan looked like in the spring of 1995 when he came back? He was healthy and rested, and he still didn't have any lift compared to the next fall.

Wherever MPJ goes, I'll root for him. Hell, I'll buy NBA 2K19 and start a franchise with the team that drafts him.

Pitt Gorilla 03-26-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13490949)

You can't be serious. After CVL (yes, CVL) went down and Barnett decided to do other things, we needed warm bodies. MPJ HAD to play.

dlphg9 03-26-2018 08:41 PM

Anyone talking bad about MPJ can go **** themselves

Sure-Oz 03-26-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13491063)
Porter didn't have to play. Mizzou fans should be forever thankful that he cared enough to try when he wasn't close to 100%. In the era of AAU and NBA mercenaries, that's a pretty rare trait.

As far as his play when he came back, I can't say I'm too surprised. He had no legs. Do you guys remember what Jordan looked like in the spring of 1995 when he came back? He was healthy and rested, and he still didn't have any lift compared to the next fall.

Wherever MPJ goes, I'll root for him. Hell, I'll buy NBA 2K19 and start a franchise with the team that drafts him.

Yep...I'll be buying his jersey too. Hoping for a huge success. His commitment to Mizzou changed everything.

Sure-Oz 03-26-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13491106)

I basically feel this way too.

OKchiefs 03-26-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13491106)

Who's talking bad about him?

KChiefs1 03-26-2018 10:25 PM

SVP just had an NBA draft expert on & he said MPJ goes 7th to Philly.

Pitt Gorilla 03-26-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13491266)
SVP just had an NBA draft expert on & he said MPJ goes 7th to Philly.

That would be perfect.

OKchiefs 04-05-2018 02:58 PM

And the younger Porter is now gone as well.

Taking a step back possibly next year?

gblowfish 04-05-2018 03:01 PM

I don't think he's signing an agent. I think the younger Porter will be back for at least one more year.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-05-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13504617)

Maybe. He didn't sign with an agent. Right now, he's projected as a late first round pick.

If NBA people tell him go back and work on this and this, etc. and next year you'll be a lottery pick, bet he comes back for one more season.

We'll see . . . . .

duncan_idaho 04-05-2018 03:15 PM

I expect the only Porter playing basketball for Mizzou in 18-19 to be “whatever the name of the girl one is” Porter.

I also expect her to be the only Porter associated with aMissouri hoops program.

I think a step back next year is possible/likely, depends on how they close this class.

If Martin lands Courtney Ramey, and KJ Santos is as effective as the coaches apparently think he will be, they could be a fringe tourney team again.

They’re also in on some impressive grad transfers who could help right away, including a 6-6 kid from Evansville who actually has two years left.

Pitt Gorilla 04-05-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13504617)

He absolutely should go through the process. He should, absolutely, come back next year as well.

He is not, currently, "gone."

OKchiefs 04-05-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13504654)
I expect the only Porter playing basketball for Mizzou in 18-19 to be “whatever the name of the girl one is” Porter.

I also expect her to be the only Porter associated with aMissouri hoops program.

I think a step back next year is possible/likely, depends on how they close this class.

If Martin lands Courtney Ramey, and KJ Santos is as effective as the coaches apparently think he will be, they could be a fringe tourney team again.

They’re also in on some impressive grad transfers who could help right away, including a 6-6 kid from Evansville who actually has two years left.

So we're hoping that the 2019-2020 season is the year that we might have enough of a pipeline and system in place to be a consistent competitor most years?

That's also based on the premise that we can avoid having another round of quitters leaving the team. My entirely uninformed opinion is that Martin did very well all things considered.

OKchiefs 04-05-2018 03:45 PM

Also, doesn't the back and forth of no knowing whether a player will be here or not hurt the university due to not knowing if the scholarship will be available or not?

duncan_idaho 04-05-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13504703)
Also, doesn't the back and forth of no knowing whether a player will be here or not hurt the university due to not knowing if the scholarship will be available or not?

It’s not as big a deal when you have a Reed Nikko or Cullen VanLeer or Mitchell Smith who isn’t that hard to encourage to leave.

Re: your previous post... yeah, 19-20 is when it’s reasonable to think they’re consistently established. Have to turn things over. He band-aided really well, but will need to band-aid again to get back in he tourney in 18-19.

Titty Meat 04-05-2018 04:57 PM

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569

Kid is a lottery pick and wants to play football. You think Mizzou will offer?

OKchiefs 04-05-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13504734)
It’s not as big a deal when you have a Reed Nikko or Cullen VanLeer or Mitchell Smith who isn’t that hard to encourage to leave.

Re: your previous post... yeah, 19-20 is when it’s reasonable to think they’re consistently established. Have to turn things over. He band-aided really well, but will need to band-aid again to get back in he tourney in 18-19.

Glad we're not going the band-aide route that Frank Haith went down by relying on transfers so heavily.

duncan_idaho 04-05-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13504765)

What’s the connection? Minnesota kid. Is he related to the St. Louis Suggs?

Titty Meat 04-05-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13504838)
What’s the connection? Minnesota kid. Is he related to the St. Louis Suggs?

I believe so.

duncan_idaho 04-06-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13504873)
I believe so.

Have heard nothing about him and don’t see an offer from Missouri. Maybe they get involved once 2018 wraps up.

One of the Suggs brothers walked on after Martin became the coach. If he’s related, I’m sure this one has heard about the experience (good or bad).

Pasta Little Brioni 04-06-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13504765)

Titty, is Tyron Lue the best player in Nubs history?

ChiefsCountry 04-06-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13505570)

http://www.sdshof.com/uploads/produc.../eric%2008.jpg

Best22 04-06-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13506190)

Nebraska has cut down nets?

duncan_idaho 04-06-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13506202)
Nebraska has cut down nets?

They won the Big 8 basketball tournament in 94. Only Big 8 team to beat Missouri that year, IIRC (think it was a title game loss).

Lue was better, IMO.

The dynamic recruiting duo of Kermit Anderson and Norm Stewart struck out on Lue and his cousin Cookie Belcher.

Lue because they thought he was too small. Cookie because Kim - his lead recruiter - somehow didn’t hammer the correct name home to Norm.

Stewart spent the entire in-home visit calling him “Corky.” He committed to Nebraska shortly thereafter.

Dartgod 04-07-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13506333)
They won the Big 8 basketball tournament in 94. Only Big 8 team to beat Missouri that year, IIRC (think it was a title game loss).

Lue was better, IMO.

The dynamic recruiting duo of Kermit Anderson and Norm Stewart struck out on Lue and his cousin Cookie Belcher.

Lue because they thought he was too small. Cookie because Kim - his lead recruiter - somehow didn’t hammer the correct name home to Norm.

Stewart spent the entire in-home visit calling him “Corky.” He committed to Nebraska shortly thereafter.

ROFL

Pitt Gorilla 04-15-2018 12:39 PM

Hamas, start a new thread. I would, but I don't want to F with the mojo.

Also, we should probably talk about Mark Smith.

patteeu 04-15-2018 12:41 PM

Whoever starts the new thread, put a link in this one if you don’t mind. Thanks!

KChiefs1 04-15-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13506333)

Lue was better, IMO.

Classic Norm story.

Titty Meat 04-15-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13505570)

Mmm probably Piatkowski or Dan Hoppen.

Best name ever: Cookie Belcher who like Lue was from Mexico Missouri. Norm sure did let alot of talent slip away.

duncan_idaho 04-16-2018 06:34 AM

Former Illinois guard Mark Smith committed over the weekend. He’ll sit out this season and join Torrance Watson and hopefully Ramey as a member of the sophomore class for 2019-20.

He’s right with 2019 Uber-recruit EJ Liddell, too. Think this helps with him.

dlphg9 04-16-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13518703)
Former Illinois guard Mark Smith committed over the weekend. He’ll sit out this season and join Torrance Watson and hopefully Ramey as a member of the sophomore class for 2019-20.

He’s right with 2019 Uber-recruit EJ Liddell, too. Think this helps with him.

What's your opinions on him? Will a change of scenery help? What does this mean for Ramey?

duncan_idaho 04-16-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13518716)
What's your opinions on him? Will a change of scenery help? What does this mean for Ramey?

I think a change of scenery helps him a ton. That system was not a great fit for him.

Don’t think it means anything bad re: Ramey. They apparently are cool with playing together. It helps with EJ Liddell.

dlphg9 04-16-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13518732)
I think a change of scenery helps him a ton. That system was not a great fit for him.

Don’t think it means anything bad re: Ramey. They apparently are cool with playing together. It helps with EJ Liddell.

2019 could be a fun year. I love that Mizzou is relevant again. It's fun to think what Kermit could have done if he was given a real chance with more time.

Sassy Squatch 04-16-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13518755)
2019 could be a fun year. I love that Mizzou is relevant again. It's fun to think what Kermit could have done if he was given a real chance with more time.

Your definition of fun and mine are not the same.

Pitt Gorilla 04-16-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

:spock:

siberian khatru 04-16-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7TKWineS040erhjq" width="480" height="330" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/hulu-snl-saturday-night-live-nbc-3o7TKWineS040erhjq">via GIPHY</a></p>

Mizzou_8541 04-16-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

2019 could be a fun year. I love that Mizzou is relevant agaian. It's fun to think what Kermit could have done if he was given a real chance with more time.

This is a joke right?

BryanBusby 04-16-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

A+ effort on the troll

dlphg9 04-16-2018 10:57 AM

It was a joke guys lol

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-16-2018 11:15 AM

I'll start a new one tonight.

Pitt Gorilla 04-16-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13518993)
I'll start a new one tonight.

Thank you. (About freaking time :)

dlphg9 04-16-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13519004)
Thank you. (About freaking time :)

Yeah, not like he has anything important going on!

Pitt Gorilla 04-16-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13519032)
Yeah, not like he has anything important going on!

More important than the new thread and correct mojo?!? Inconceivable.

KChiefs1 04-16-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

It's fun to think what Kermit could have done if he was given a real chance with more time.

You must be into S&M too.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-16-2018 05:48 PM

New thread up:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...1#post13519651