ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

irafreak 02-13-2024 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17399223)
Why are his peers other QBs on other teams? If the Lamars and the Burrows get paid more, it just means their teammates get paid less. With the cap, it is a zero sum game.

And it seems odd to be worrying about whether those guys are making 35 mil a year or 50 mil year, no?

Agreed. There's just such a disconnect with athletes and the outside world in terms of making money for a living (i realize it's a scoreboard to a lot of them just trying to prove their worth by making more than their peers). How many mansions do you need? Hell just place 35 million in the bank and live off the interest.

Rausch 02-13-2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irafreak (Post 17399310)
Agreed. There's just such a disconnect with athletes and the outside world in terms of making money for a living (i realize it's a scoreboard to a lot of them just trying to prove their worth by making more than their peers). How many mansions do you need? Hell just place 35 million in the bank and live off the interest.

The players want a bigger share of the revenue coming in. And revenue is at an all time high while the cap only goes up 10-20% each year.

It's the player's bodies that get ruined. It's their 10-15 surgeries during a career. I don't blame them.

kccrow 02-13-2024 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2 (Post 17391687)
No. They’re thinking he ll be ready the first game busynr miss the first 4 games

He good.

On what planet?

It takes about 6 months before you can even start really moving on it and doing serious rehab. That puts you at training camp. Another 3 months just to get to about 75% and maybe play. That puts you into November. It can take another 6 months to get to 100%, meaning he won't be at 100% for any segment of the season so whatever he does play won't be optimal.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irafreak (Post 17399310)

This is something that comes up that never makes ****ing sense to me.

"He has to get that money while he can."

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

Anyone on the planet should be able to live out their life with 5 million in the bank if they just aren't out buying dumb shit on the daily like Iverson did.

So I wish people would STFU about this when these dudes make enough in one season to last for them and their grandkids lives.

Seriously. Who knows how much Pat even makes from just endorsements alone. Kelsey is worth over 100 million. Pat has to already have that.

So why is this even a discussion in here? I've never understood these convos.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17399313)
The players want a bigger share of the revenue coming in. And revenue is at an all time high while the cap only goes up 10-20% each year.

It's the player's bodies that get ruined. It's their 10-15 surgeries during a career. I don't blame them.

Dude I'm friends with LOTS of former NFL players and work with them at times, and this shit is not true. None of it. Sure there's guys here or there with lasting injuries but this shit has been blown so out of proportion it's insane.

And even if you needed 10 surgeries why do you need 50 million dollars?

myselff77 02-13-2024 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 17399211)
At the same time, he undoubtedly feels a responsibility to help his peers get paid their worth

The only correct response to this is, Patrick Mahomes has no peers currently in the NFL playing QB.

MIAdragon 02-13-2024 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399358)

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

Anyone on the planet should be able to live out their life with 5 million in the bank if they just aren't out buying dumb shit on the daily like Iverson did.

So I wish people would STFU about this when these dudes make enough in one season to last for them and their grandkids lives.

Seriously. Who knows how much Pat even makes from just endorsements alone. Kelsey is worth over 100 million. Pat has to already have that.

5 million? Won't go as far as you think.

notorious 02-13-2024 08:33 AM

I love Chris Jones to death, didn’t mind if the Chiefs let him go earlier in the year but he’s made it a lot harder now.

I still think you make the tough decision to keep Sneed and let Jones go. Spags will figure out how to get pressure with different guys.

Besides, aren’t we all looking forward to opposing fans telling us the chiefs are done because we lost Chris Jones only only to keep winning titles in different ways?

Red Dawg 02-13-2024 08:45 AM

I was against giving into Joles but whatever. We need to keep both of them.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 08:49 AM

My thoughts on Jones over in the draft forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399388)
So let's say he'll sign a 5 year deal with a couple years of fluff at the back end.

Let's say it's something like 5/$150 and its structured:

Signing bonus: $40 million

Salaries: 10/15/20/30/35

Cap hits: 18/23/28; dead cap of $16 million in '27 (or $8 million/season spread over '27 and '28)

Don't you get something close to what he's asking for that way? And at least 2 years of cap hits commensurate with his likely production. You're mostly out of the woods by the time you need to extend McDuffie, Karlaftis or Rice.

Is that in the ballpark of worth doing? That 3rd year will be a little gnarly though you could probably bonus out that base in '26 and push some of the salary into dead money if you felt so inclined.

I mean we NEEDED both Jones and Sneed on Sunday. We don't win that game without both of 'em. And that deal would seem to make it possible to keep both of them. If you can get Jones on an $18 million cap hit and Sneed on say a $14 million hit (presuming an extension, $18 million if tagged) then you could still go to the Mahomes restructure well for a little extra to try to bring another WR option in here.

Where that would sting is in the attempts to get the Tranquill/Edwards sort of cheaper quality veterans to supplement the roster. But with the strength of the 2022 draft, are we in a position that we really NEED that?

The big issue it would seem to create is OT - it might hem us in to needing Wanya to start or draft a 1st round OT. But it could be done.

Long-term it's likely not the right decision. But for 2024, it's almost certainly the path to our strongest possible team, right? And man, it's a possible 3-peat; I think right now you HAVE to focus more on 2024 than 2025 and beyond.

It's never been done and you have an open lane to do it. I think that's the way you have to approach this off-season. Use the Credit Card a bit and attack the 2024 season.

I think you can bring them both back without mortgaging TOO much. It'll take a little compromise from Jones (and if he's wanting 4 years of 'real' money, it's not going to happen). But if he's willing to accept some fake money at the back of the deal, you can bring them both back without really blasting the cap.

And then you can use restructures as Taylor/Mahomes are willing to clear another $40 million as needed to look into adding more weapons/OT help.

It's not a brutally difficult path forward to keep this roster largely intact and even boost it in some key areas. It's not my normal path, but pursuing a 3-peat aint a normal scenario.

notorious 02-13-2024 08:52 AM

Just do the Denver move and promise him a ton of money to be a consultant after he retires.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17399313)

The cap floor is tied to revenue. It isn't how much the cap goes UP that determines what the overwhelming majority of players get, it's the floor that does it.

The cap controls the salaries at the high end; the few dozen guys every year that can really push the market. But there are literally thousands of NFL players and for most of them, the spending floor determines how much they'll be able to make.

And if the NFLPA thinks they're not getting a fair share of the revenue split, then they should stop trading capital in negotiations for fewer practice days and lighter drug testing.

I think you're overstating the complaints of the NFLPA here.

blake5676 02-13-2024 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399360)
Dude I'm friends with LOTS of former NFL players and work with them at times, and this shit is not true. None of it. Sure there's guys here or there with lasting injuries but this shit has been blown so out of proportion it's insane.

And even if you needed 10 surgeries why do you need 50 million dollars?

This post is insane on multiple levels. To first off pretend that these guys don't pay a physical price later in life is just factually inaccurate. People that work on the line at Ford pay a price for the wear and tear on their bodies...these players sure as shit do.

And in regards to the money part, why shouldn't they be paid handsomely? The money is there...it's the biggest money making machine in all of entertainment. If not the players, who should those dollars go to? And who are you to say how much money someone needs? Many of these players are earning money for not only themselves, but entire family trees present and future. They are worth exactly what someone will pay them and they'd be stupid not to maximize those earnings in the very short window they have to acquire that wealth.

If a player has made 9 figures and is on the tail end of their career I suppose I can understand taking a little less to stay somewhere they prefer, but thats a small number of guys in this league.

Sassy Squatch 02-13-2024 08:56 AM

Do you just tag Jones if his agents still want to be smarmy little ****s and be done with it? Veach was willing to give him 2 more years at 27.5 million each almost fully guaranteed. The tag number is in that ballpark, and easily affordable if they really are going to restructure Mahomes. This is of course assuming we sign Sneed to a LTD.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 17399462)
This post is insane on multiple levels. To first off pretend that these guys don't pay a physical price later in life is just factually inaccurate. People that work on the line at Ford pay a price for the wear and tear on their bodies...these players sure as shit do.

And in regards to the money part, why shouldn't they be paid handsomely? The money is there...it's the biggest money making machine in all of entertainment. If not the players, who should those dollars go to? And who are you to say how much money someone needs? Many of these players are earning money for not only themselves, but entire family trees present and future. They are worth exactly what someone will pay them and they'd be stupid not to maximize those earnings in the very short window they have to acquire that wealth.

If a player has made 9 figures and is on the tail end of their career I suppose I can understand taking a little less to stay somewhere they prefer, but thats a small number of guys in this league.

I'm speaking from actual experience you chode. I literally work with several former players and they all still train and lift and do athletic shit at high levels. They aren't the ****ing walking wounded.

Second, the whole "they are paying for their family family" blah blah, dude STFU. No family linage needs 100 million dollars to "get by". And second, all the players I talk to have been smart with their money and don't feel like their NFL careers were meant to setup their great grandkids for prosperity.

You're just repeating a bunch of nonsense most of you who just jerk off online to this stuff do. Stay in your lane and pipe down.

kccrow 02-13-2024 09:25 AM

I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade but you just have to look at the mathematics and reality of the situation in some way and realize it's just not overly feasible to keep both Sneed and Jones. You can only back-end so much money in reality on a deal. You can only ignore so much when it comes to the other FAs you have to sign/re-sign.

I posted already that you can get 28.7 by fullying pushing Mahomes' 35.9m roster bonus into signing bonus (1/5th will still end up on this year's cap). If you keep Jones, you just ate up the bulk of that. So basically, call that Jones + 2024 In-Season Operating Cash.

Everything else you do from that point is reliant upon the cap space you already know that you have, which is approximately 24m + 12m for cutting MVS. Now, maybe you can manage something with Omenihu and pick up around 5m there. You aren't gaining much in probably much of anything else you do and then there are things you just don't want to do like pushing money with Thuney or Kelce.

Now, a segment of the money you have is going to sign your draft class. Right now our rookie pool is 8.3m with a top-51 valuation somewhere around 2.8m So let's just call a minimum of 3m is going to be added to our cap liabilities so now you are at about 33m in space.

You have 5 ERFAs and you usually keep those because they are cheap. So take off 4.5m for those guys. You're at 28.5m.

You have 19 other UFA/RFA players. Every UFA pretty much costs 1.1m or more. If you are counting our draft picks to take over some of those spots, then you need to sign 13 players, at least. That automatically has you down to 14m in remaining cap IF you were only signing vet min guys to fill those 13 holes. Now, we all know you aren't going to spend only vet min on every single one.

So, how are you finding a way to fit one of the best CBs in the league in there? The truth is, you're probably not. Sneed would have to take a massive first-year discount on his contract and backload the deal. Essentially he'd be making his signing bonus this year. What do you think his odds are of upping that if he hits the market? I bet they are more than good.

You aren't franchising Sneed either. That hit is 18.4m.

It's keep Jones or keep Sneed and maybe bolster some other spots a bit more. You have to pick your poison. It's really that simple.

notorious 02-13-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399519)

Second, the whole "they are paying for their family family" blah blah, dude STFU. No family linage needs 100 million dollars to "get by". And second, all the players I talk to have been smart with their money and don't feel like their NFL careers were meant to setup their great grandkids for prosperity.

I don't know, Chris Jones has to pay for two everywhere he goes.

O.city 02-13-2024 09:30 AM

It's not as much as Sneed being ok doing it as it is Clark being open to writing a big check.

The Franchise 02-13-2024 09:38 AM

Quote:

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

You feel the same way about all of those billionaires and CEOs making millions as well?

FloridaMan88 02-13-2024 09:41 AM

No dragging it out with Chris Jones this offseason would be my hope.

Either he is willing to work with the Chiefs to stay or if he is intent on getting $30+ million AAV then the Chiefs can move on.

Marcellus 02-13-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17399542)
You feel the same way about all of those billionaires and CEOs making millions as well?

I guess I missed the post where people were saying CEO's are underpaid and need to get their $ now while they can.

I've never seen anyone defend CEO salaries like they do NFL players. But much like NFL players its all about what the market will pay.

blake5676 02-13-2024 09:44 AM

Quote:

I'm speaking from actual experience you chode. I literally work with several former players and they all still train and lift and do athletic shit at high levels. They aren't the ****ing walking wounded.

You're just repeating a bunch of nonsense most of you who just jerk off online to this stuff do. Stay in your lane and pipe down.

I have no idea what you do for a living but I would venture to guess your "small sample size" is no different than the number of examples of the guys who've blown their brains out due to CTE or those who are now selling cars at the local Toyota dealership trading on their old fame/name.

The fact you are assuming how much money ANYONE needs is idiotic and no amount of puffing out your chest or claiming "you know guys" changes that.

Your argument essentially boils down to you thinking that you know better what someone else needs than they do themselves. I know a couple countries you could move to that share that philosophy.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17399547)

Either he is willing to work with the Chiefs to stay or if he is intent on getting $30+ million AAV then the Chiefs can move on.

Oh there's no way it'll drag out.

With the money he's seeking, he'll have to get it in the first few days of FA or it'll dry up. Teams don't leave that kind of cap space just lying around into June.

There's going to be a fairly fast resolution here, IMO.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-13-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399559)
Oh there's no way it'll drag out.

With the money he's seeking, he'll have to get it in the first few days of FA or it'll dry up. Teams don't leave that kind of cap space just lying around into June.

There's going to be a fairly fast resolution here, IMO.

How fast? This week?

BWillie 02-13-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

I feel like if you are in your 20s you would need at least 10M. If you are under the assumption you would never make any money ever again.

The Franchise 02-13-2024 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 17399554)
I guess I missed the post where people were saying CEO's are underpaid and need to get their $ now while they can.

I've never seen anyone defend CEO salaries like they do NFL players. But much like NFL players its all about what the market will pay.

Wouldn't you want to get what you're worth while you can? Especially in an industry when one freak injury (see Dre Greenlaw) could impact that?

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 17399562)
How fast? This week?

First 72 hours of FA would be my guess.

So no, not THAT fast...

kccrow 02-13-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

As much as they can while they can. It doesn't matter what you or I think is a satisfactory amount. It's like trying to negotiate your next salary... are you okay having the employer dictate the offer or are you going to try to negotiate the offer? Are you not going to negotiate perks?

If an employer comes at me with 70k and I know the job is worth 100k, I'm pushing for that 100k or more. And then somewhere you will settle. Once that's settled, I'm pushing for the perks. I'm not waiting 5 years for 3 weeks vacation. I want 3 weeks negotiated in at the start. I'm not paying for my hotels, the company is. I don't want to pay for my vehicle, the company can. I'm pushing for those things because if they want you bad enough they'll find a way to make it work. And maybe you come to a concession on some of it.

And when I walk away with a company truck to use, company-paid hotels and meals when I have to work onsite, remote the rest, unlimited PTO, and a 85k salary now we're talking, right? And now I want some guarantee of more than cost of living raises, so I'm negotiating that for a set number of years. So I ask for 5% plus COL for the first 3 years. And I've done this, and it's worth it.

And so when you look at these NFL players, are they not doing the same thing? In their case they want more guaranteed money, they want more up front. Why? Because who knows what the next bag will be or if there will be one. Get it while they can get it. It's alot harder to go back to the table after the deal is done.

The difference might not be living but how well you're living. I can do alot more with 85k and no vehicle payment than i can with 70k and a vehicle payment. They can do alot more with 15 million than they can with 5. It's all relative.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17399520)
I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade but you just have to look at the mathematics and reality of the situation in some way and realize it's just not overly feasible to keep both Sneed and Jones. You can only back-end so much money in reality on a deal. You can only ignore so much when it comes to the other FAs you have to sign/re-sign.

I posted already that you can get 28.7 by fullying pushing Mahomes' 35.9m roster bonus into signing bonus (1/5th will still end up on this year's cap). If you keep Jones, you just ate up the bulk of that. So basically, call that Jones + 2024 In-Season Operating Cash.

Everything else you do from that point is reliant upon the cap space you already know that you have, which is approximately 24m + 12m for cutting MVS. Now, maybe you can manage something with Omenihu and pick up around 5m there. You aren't gaining much in probably much of anything else you do and then there are things you just don't want to do like pushing money with Thuney or Kelce.

Now, a segment of the money you have is going to sign your draft class. Right now our rookie pool is 8.3m with a top-51 valuation somewhere around 2.8m So let's just call a minimum of 3m is going to be added to our cap liabilities so now you are at about 33m in space.

You have 5 ERFAs and you usually keep those because they are cheap. So take off 4.5m for those guys. You're at 28.5m.

You have 19 other UFA/RFA players. Every UFA pretty much costs 1.1m or more. If you are counting our draft picks to take over some of those spots, then you need to sign 13 players, at least. That automatically has you down to 14m in remaining cap IF you were only signing vet min guys to fill those 13 holes. Now, we all know you aren't going to spend only vet min on every single one.

So, how are you finding a way to fit one of the best CBs in the league in there? The truth is, you're probably not. Sneed would have to take a massive first-year discount on his contract and backload the deal. Essentially he'd be making his signing bonus this year. What do you think his odds are of upping that if he hits the market? I bet they are more than good.

You aren't franchising Sneed either. That hit is 18.4m.

It's keep Jones or keep Sneed and maybe bolster some other spots a bit more. You have to pick your poison. It's really that simple.

The only way keeping Jones works is IF KC adds some significant void years (say it's a $30M signing bonus with 2 void years; you could then structure something like 24 - $23M; 25 - $28M; 26 - $28M and with the signing bonus give him 3/$91M).

That COULD be done. And with a max Mahomes restructure and cutting Omenihu and Valdes-Scantling, extending Reid, and giving Sneed 4/$82M, you're still in decent operating shape for 2024.

With those moves and tendering the ERFA, signing Tranquill to a 2-year deal in his price range, and not doing anything else other than the Mahomes roster bonus restructure, I'm at about $33M in space. That would be enough to sign the rookies, clearly, and also make a 1-2 medium moves in FA (a Curtis Samuel type at WR, for example).

It would put you in VERY rough shape in 2025.

The Franchise 02-13-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399598)
The only way keeping Jones works is IF KC adds some significant void years (say it's a $30M signing bonus with 2 void years; you could then structure something like 24 - $23M; 25 - $28M; 26 - $28M and with the signing bonus give him 3/$91M).

That COULD be done. And with a max Mahomes restructure and cutting Omenihu and Valdes-Scantling, extending Reid, and giving Sneed 4/$82M, you're still in decent operating shape for 2024.

With those moves and tendering the ERFA, signing Tranquill to a 2-year deal in his price range, and not doing anything else other than the Mahomes roster bonus restructure, I'm at about $33M in space. That would be enough to sign the rookies, clearly, and also make a 1-2 medium moves in FA (a Curtis Samuel type at WR, for example).

It would put you in VERY rough shape in 2025.

I would take the opposite route with Omenihu. I would extend him instead of cut him. Get his cap hit down this next year and add a couple of years onto his deal. He flourished in this defense and I'd want him back when he's healthy.

wutamess 02-13-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

So by your logic: From a homeless persons perspective - they should be more than satisfied making a VERY COMFORTABLE lifestyle salary of, $100k/year because that's all they should ever "need"?

There's levels to this shit. Your lifestyle isn't their lifestyle. So what, they may want to buy a $3m car or wear a $250K chain and buy multiple mansions. I'm sure you have unnecessarily expensive guilty pleasures as well that less fortunate people think is overkill.

Just because, "you know a guy(s)" doesn't mean anyone else's perspective/perceptions isn't valid.

kccrow 02-13-2024 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I modeled a Chris Jones contract for estimative purposes in throwing together mocks, I put two void years into it. It's really hard to share so I attached an image of my spreadsheet...

In any event, its 3/84 + 1.0m/yr 10+ sack bonus and 1.0m/yr Super Bowl appearance bonus. Those would likely be seen as "likely to be earned" at this juncture so they are added to the cap number.

notorious 02-13-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17399569)
I feel like if you are in your 20s you would need at least 10M. If you are under the assumption you would never make any money ever again.

10 million?

How can a person make it on only 300-500k in interest per year? Ramen?

notorious 02-13-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17399547)

I see what you did there.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17399616)
I would take the opposite route with Omenihu. I would extend him instead of cut him. Get his cap hit down this next year and add a couple of years onto his deal. He flourished in this defense and I'd want him back when he's healthy.

Yeah, I like him a bunch. I'm all for extending hm if Jones walks. But if they're keeping Jones, Omenihu seems like more of a luxury than a need to me.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17399653)
10 million?

How can a person make it on only 300-500k in interest per year? Ramen?

We also have to operate from the perspective that 45-50 percent of what players are paid is gone to taxes, paying their agents and other representation, etc.

Safest is to assume that players only pocket/receive 1/2 of what their salary is.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399689)
We also have to operate from the perspective that 45-50 percent of what players are paid is gone to taxes, paying their agents and other representation, etc.

Safest is to assume that players only pocket/receive 1/2 of what their salary is.

By the same token, we don't know or consider what they're pulling in from endorsements, etc...

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Jones has only pocketed half his $90 million in career earnings. That's $45 million. Is there any reason at all to say he hasn't cleared another several million in various endorsement opportunities over his career? It's not going to be Mahomes money as a DL, but he's gotta be at $50 million in take-home over the course of his career.

I mean we have inverted yield curves on CDs that will turn out 5% over 9-12 months. There's no reason why he couldn't be pulling down $2+ million/yr in interest on the res.

Jones shouldn't be hurting. Ever. But ultimately he's a guy who clearly sees his contract as a proxy for respect. As I said in the summer - dude's pride is driving the bus. Or at least it was.

We'll see if anything has changed in that regard but I don't see any reason to presume it has.

JohnnyHammersticks 02-13-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399447)
My thoughts on Jones over in the draft forum:

I think you can bring them both back without mortgaging TOO much. It'll take a little compromise from Jones (and if he's wanting 4 years of 'real' money, it's not going to happen). But if he's willing to accept some fake money at the back of the deal, you can bring them both back without really blasting the cap.

And then you can use restructures as Taylor/Mahomes are willing to clear another $40 million as needed to look into adding more weapons/OT help.

It's not a brutally difficult path forward to keep this roster largely intact and even boost it in some key areas. It's not my normal path, but pursuing a 3-peat aint a normal scenario.

Keep going, I'm almost there... :whackit:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Zd1BU...&rid=giphy.gif

tredadda 02-13-2024 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399708)
By the same token, we don't know or consider what they're pulling in from endorsements, etc...

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Jones has only pocketed half his $90 million in career earnings. That's $45 million. Is there any reason at all to say he hasn't cleared another several million in various endorsement opportunities over his career? It's not going to be Mahomes money as a DL, but he's gotta be at $50 million in take-home over the course of his career.

I mean we have inverted yield curves on CDs that will turn out 5% over 9-12 months. There's no reason why he couldn't be pulling down $2+ million/yr in interest on the res.

Jones shouldn't be hurting. Ever. But ultimately he's a guy who clearly sees his contract as a proxy for respect. As I said in the summer - dude's pride is driving the bus. Or at least it was.

We'll see if anything has changed in that regard but I don't see any reason to presume it has.

I would be curious as to what endorsement deals he will get this offseason. If you remember, Kelce was never on TV prior to last season’s SB win. Suddenly he was everywhere (even pre Taylor). Jones is well spoken and should be more appealing now after the SB win, especially with his impact during this run. He is far more well known to average Joe America.

notorious 02-13-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399689)

In general, 10 million plenty of money and easy to live off of for a 20 year old and still have the full bag for retirement.

Hell, if a person has 1.5-2 million they could live very well in most of the country and still have the bag in the end.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02-13-2024 10:44 AM

I’d give jones 28 mil a year, 4 year deal. 90 mil guaranteed with 3 mil in incentives each year. 1 mil each for all pro, 10 plus sacks and Super Bowl win

Woogieman 02-13-2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17399616)

Spags's D is at its best when he has flexible players that can be moved around, and that's what Omenihu is. He performed very well and I think he is a piece Spags would prioritize.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02-13-2024 11:13 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;You&#39;re the greatest to ever do it.&quot;<br><br>This moment between <a href="https://twitter.com/tkelce?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tkelce</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@StoneColdJones</a> after <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SBLVIII?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SBLVIII</a>. ❤️ <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLFilms?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NFLFilms</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/insidetheNFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@insidetheNFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/lBaRNqz3nE">pic.twitter.com/lBaRNqz3nE</a></p>&mdash; NFL (@NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1757430760238117264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 13, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

saphojunkie 02-13-2024 11:15 AM

Quote:

The difference is that when Chris Jones gets $100M they don't layoff the hot dog vendors making minimum wage.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 12:04 PM

So, how could this look?

1. Restructure Patrick Mahomes ($36M) +$28.8M
2. Extend Justin Reid (4 years, $49.4M) +$6M
3. Cut Marquez Valdes-Scantling + $12M
4. ERFA Tender Herring, Caliendo, Cochrane, Nazi Johnson -$3.87M
5. Extend Drue Tranquill (2 years, $10.2M) -$4.6M
6. Extend Charles Omenihu (3 years, $29.9M) +$3M

Using the OTC calculator, that puts the Chiefs at $52.375M of cap space with 49 players under contract.

So, let’s experiment with a Jones AND Sneed re-up.

1. Extend Chris Jones (5 years, $150M, with $40M signing bonus, cap hits of 18.1, 26.1, 28.1 in first 3 years to get him to 3/88 and add some incentives to get to 3/90 )
2. Extend L’Jarious Sneed (4 years, $80.9M with $24M signing bonus, cap hits of 13.125, 19.2, 22.2, 25.3)

With that done, the Chiefs are sitting with 50 players under contract for 2024 with about $36.5M in cap space. The 2025 outlook is tough, though – 27 players under contract with only about $20M of effective cap space.

You’d be able to create a lot of space in 25 with a Mahomes restructure, but this plan probably leaves you committing to – at most – 1 of Bolton, Humphrey, and Trey Smith. Or cutting Joe Thuney and eating $10M of dead cap to gain $16M in space.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17399542)

NFL players aren't generally creating thousands of jobs. Unless you can start to name all of them that I'm unaware of.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

NFL players have a small window to get paid...a CEO can get paid basically till the day he dies if he chooses.

That's a weird comparison.

-King- 02-13-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399862)
NFL players aren't generally creating thousands of jobs. Unless you can start to name all of them that I'm unaware of.

What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399861)
So, how could this look?

Using the OTC calculator, that puts the Chiefs at $52.375M of cap space with 49 players under contract.

1. Extend Chris Jones (5 years, $150M, with $40M signing bonus, cap hits of 18.1, 26.1, 28.1 in first 3 years to get him to 3/88 and add some incentives to get to 3/90 )
2. Extend L’Jarious Sneed (4 years, $80.9M with $24M signing bonus, cap hits of 13.125, 19.2, 22.2, 25.3)

With that done, the Chiefs are sitting with 50 players under contract for 2024 with about $36.5M in cap space. The 2025 outlook is tough, though – 27 players under contract with only about $20M of effective cap space.

You’d be able to create a lot of space in 25 with a Mahomes restructure, but this plan probably leaves you committing to – at most – 1 of Bolton, Humphrey, and Trey Smith. Or cutting Joe Thuney and eating $10M of dead cap to gain $16M in space.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd have been adamantly opposed to had we NOT won this year and completely in support of because we have.

It's a chance at a 3-peat, fellas. Oh it makes 2025 a real shit-show. At worst it will make 2026 a problem. But this is a chance that, what, a half dozen teams in NFL history have had?

It is against every fiber of my being but I really think it's how we should approach it.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17399867)
What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

I think he's trying to say a CEO creates jobs so he's more deserving of being rich than an NFL player is.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 17399557)
I have no idea what you do for a living but I would venture to guess your "small sample size" is no different than the number of examples of the guys who've blown their brains out due to CTE or those who are now selling cars at the local Toyota dealership trading on their old fame/name.

The fact you are assuming how much money ANYONE needs is idiotic and no amount of puffing out your chest or claiming "you know guys" changes that.

Your argument essentially boils down to you thinking that you know better what someone else needs than they do themselves. I know a couple countries you could move to that share that philosophy.

Ok name the guys. I'll wait. Junior Seau shot himself in the chest. Outside of him name the guys that killed themselves, compared to how many guys that have played in the league and what that percentage is. Especially just compared to the general population.

Seoncd, you don't know my sample size. Last year I spent a whole weekend working with over 60 players out in Texas. You don't know shit about me dickhead. You're some blowhard that literally knows nothing about this.

Furthermore, you missed my point. I don't care what the players get. If they want to chase the money that's fine. But the idiotic comments about how they have to get tens of millions now to setup generational wealth or somehow their grandchildren will live in poverty is some shit that poster children for mental poverty would say.

And anyone saying 5 million isn't enough to finish your life on doesn't know shit about money. Period. And I clear 2 million a year.

The Franchise 02-13-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399861)
So, how could this look?

In that scenario, you:

Cut Thuney. June 1st if you need too.
Let Smith walk.
Bring back Bolton and Humphrey unless they want to break the bank.

You also have to assume that Kelce is going to retire at some point. That could be after 2024 which would take his cap hit off the books.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:10 PM

Joe Thuney is a really expensive guard you should be able to move off that by then.

ROYC75 02-13-2024 12:15 PM

Bottom line, we are going to lose a lot of quality back ups and or core players.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399871)
This is exactly the sort of thing I'd have been adamantly opposed to had we NOT won this year and completely in support of because we have.

It's a chance at a 3-peat, fellas. Oh it makes 2025 a real shit-show. At worst it will make 2026 a problem. But this is a chance that, what, a half dozen teams in NFL history have had?

It is against every fiber of my being but I really think it's how we should approach it.

I think it comes down to...

Is Chiefs ownership prepared to hand out $40M in a signing bonus to Patrick Mahomes this year? And then do it again in 25? And again in 26? And again in 27? And in 2028, spend big cash on his "last" contract?

I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do that.

Sassy Squatch 02-13-2024 12:18 PM

Veach needs to nail the LT position long term this offseason given the uncertainty at all 3 IOL positions we'll be facing soon.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399887)

Is Chiefs ownership prepared to hand out $40M in a signing bonus to Patrick Mahomes this year? And then do it again in 25? And again in 26? And again in 27? And in 2028, spend big cash on his "last" contract?

Well Clark has been way more into spending money than Lamar was.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399887)

I was just talking to my wife during Clark's speech after the game regarding how PM has elevated KC on a national, if not global, landscape.

It's no stretch to argue that Patrick Mahomes is a BILLION dollar windfall for the Hunt family (and KC writ large).

I don't think they Hunts are hurting for cash or prospective creditors. The money is there and Hunt's typically been willing to spend it. I don't imagine this would be much different.

IrishChief 02-13-2024 12:35 PM

Surely some players will take a little less money to threepeat

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399900)
I was just talking to my wife during Clark's speech after the game regarding how PM has elevated KC on a national, if not global, landscape.

It's no stretch to argue that Patrick Mahomes is a BILLION dollar windfall for the Hunt family (and KC writ large).

I don't think they Hunts are hurting for cash or prospective creditors. The money is there and Hunt's typically been willing to spend it. I don't imagine this would be much different.

I mean yea something else to think about is all the extra playoff revenue, Mahomes, Kelce even the Swift hype, the Chiefs are likely so much more profitable than ever before.

KCUnited 02-13-2024 12:45 PM

How much, of say, a 1B stadium renovation will they be looking at as well

RunKC 02-13-2024 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399871)

This is true but at worst we've drafted a blue chip caliber caliber player and strong contributing player each draft the last 4 years.

Sneed, Gay
Bolton, Creed
McDuffie (or Karlaftis) and whichever of the many strong contributors you fancy
Rice, Conner

If Veach keeps hitting like this the cap won't be a major problem

blake5676 02-13-2024 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399873)
Ok name the guys. I'll wait. Junior Seau shot himself in the chest. Outside of him name the guys that killed themselves, compared to how many guys that have played in the league and what that percentage is. Especially just compared to the general population.

Shooting themselves in the head was hyperbole. If you believe players don't suffer from CTE, advanced/earlier arthritis, mental health issues due to the nature of their jobs than I don't know what to tell you :shrug: But there's a boatload of evidence out there if you want to google. All or most of which could have a detrimental affect on both future earnings potential or cost of living.

Quote:

Seoncd, you don't know my sample size. Last year I spent a whole weekend working with over 60 players out in Texas. You don't know shit about me dickhead. You're some blowhard that literally knows nothing about this.
I stated, quite clearly, I DON'T KNOW YOUR SAMPLE SIZE. You've apparently talked to 60 former players...congrats! That probably 0.01% of retired players in the Super Bowl era. Don't think that hits like you thought it did.

Quote:

Furthermore, you missed my point. I don't care what the players get. If they want to chase the money that's fine. But the idiotic comments about how they have to get tens of millions now to setup generational wealth or somehow their grandchildren will live in poverty is some shit that poster children for mental poverty would say.
If your point is that it's possible to live on $5M for the rest of your life, then ok I guess. A lot of people could make that work. Does that mean these guys shouldn't try to maximize their earnings? Help their extended family and set up their kids? Live with luxuries and not want to worry about ever working again? They're the absolute best in the world at a job that maybe 1 in a million is talented enough to have. And here you are bitching that they shouldn't reap the benefit or try to leverage their talent and hard work into as much of a reward as they possibly can in the small timeframe that window is open. All while crossing their fingers they don't get an injury that knocks them out of the league 5 years earlier than they were hoping.

Quote:

And anyone saying 5 million isn't enough to finish your life on doesn't know shit about money. Period. And I clear 2 million a year.
Again...no idea what you do. Don't give a shit. Hopefully its not in finance. High five for making so much money though. That's really cool and helped your argument.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-13-2024 01:32 PM

Think about this...

If we bring back Jones, Sneed, then get one legit WR in FA, that's enough to run it back, 3peat. That's not even counting the draft in April. Amazing! LMAO

notorious 02-13-2024 01:33 PM

Quote:

https://y.yarn.co/9d373627-3cfd-400d...cd899_text.gif

ChiTown 02-13-2024 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17400030)

LMAO

ChiTown 02-13-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Well, of course $5MM is plenty to retire on for +98% of the people in this Country. Hell, the average retirement balance for Americans at age 65 is ~$500K.

That said, when you are accustomed to their lifestyle and don't want to surrender that entirely, $5MM isn't going to get it done. I'm guessing a fair number of those guys that are chasing big dollars could end up with $5MM or less due to their inability to manage their finances - especially after their careers come to an end. But, you don't have a chance unless you've bundled a pretty big sum over a short time span for NFL players (generally well <10 years). So, I completely understand their thinking of trying to maximize their value while they can.

Mecca 02-13-2024 01:52 PM

Jones is literally on the cusp of being in the HOF, that a lone may push him to take a smaller than he could get on open FA to come back.

I think odds are he is going to get in but if he's part of another championship team he could be 1st ballot.

Hoover 02-13-2024 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17400064)
Jones is literally on the cusp of being in the HOF, that a lone may push him to take a smaller than he could get on open FA to come back.

I think odds are he is going to get in but if he's part of another championship team he could be 1st ballot.

How is he not already in? He’s dominating. And won three super bowls. Dude is in when he hangs it up. Just like Pat, Kelce, and Buttkicker

FloridaMan88 02-13-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399862)

You don't think that the economic impact that the Chiefs have in KC... facilitated by the on field success of Mahomes, Kelce, etc. doesn't create jobs?

kysirsoze 02-13-2024 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17400078)
How is he not already in? He’s dominating. And won three super bowls. Dude is in when he hangs it up. Just like Pat, Kelce, and Buttkicker

He's in... I'm not sure he's a first ballot. Kinda depends on the class.

Iconic 02-13-2024 02:23 PM

theoretically say you let cj go. does that money spent elsewhere make up for the impact cj brings? does it ensure 2-3 clutch plays in key moments of the biggest games of the season? i don't think it does.

just pay the man his money and be done with it. the guy has had a mahomes level impact on defense. it's what he does, when he does it, and the stage he does it on that i don't think you can ever replicate.

Nirvana58 02-13-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 17400121)
theoretically say you let cj go. does that money spent elsewhere make up for the impact cj brings? does it ensure 2-3 clutch plays in key moments of the biggest games of the season? i don't think it does.

just pay the man his money and be done with it. the guy has had a mahomes level impact on defense. it's what he does, when he does it, and the stage he does it on that i don't think you can ever replicate.

I love Jones but we just don't have the luxury of breaking the bank for an aging player.

We need a LT and 2 wide recievers on offense. I believe Sneed is more important to our D and is younger.

We just won 2 super bowls in our reloading and down year. Yes we want the 3 peat but I want to have enough fire power to win every year. Mahomes has literally won a Super Bowl 50% of the seasons he has played with us being smart with the cap.

O.city 02-13-2024 02:38 PM

But you're not gonna win one every year.

You have a chance to do something that's never been done. Not in the history of the league.

Go do that.

Say you play it safe, reload and end up winning a couple more down the line. Great. No one will remember that.

You win 3? Yeah.

Balto 02-13-2024 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 17400105)
He's in... I'm not sure he's a first ballot. Kinda depends on the class.

I'm not as sure as you.

Pro-Football-reference has a nice chart of HOF odds. Jones now sits at 57.15 while the average HOF DT gets 102 total points. They factor in everything and atm the players above him that are under the 102 are guys like Suh(84.58), Fletcher Cox(78.38), Geno Atkins(76.33), Haloti Ngata(64.53), Heyward(62.95), Wilfork(60.35) and a few others.

Could and should all those guys get in? Maybe

Could Jones keep playing for several years to add on to his stats/career numbers? Sure

The problem is his stats are not really that mind blowing and those now 3 SBs help him a lot. Looks like his overall tackles hurt him the most and he will need to keep the sacks and SBs coming to make up for that!

I agree that if being selected into the Hall of Fame is important to him than he needs to ask himself how much monetary wise is the HOF to him? I'm sure a LOT of retired boarder line HOF guys would pay a lot to make it in.

$32M and much lower odds of making the Hall
VS
$28M and much higher odds of making the Hall

ChiTown 02-13-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17400169)
I'm not as sure as you.

The problem is his stats are not really that mind blowing and those now 3 SBs help him a lot. Looks like his overall tackles hurt him the most and he will need to keep the sacks and SBs coming to make up for that!

Same, and I agree that the tackle stats are very unimpressive. But, what they don't measure is how absolutely disruptive he is to the other teams gameplan, and how his pressure disrupts what the other team can and can't do. He's a real MF'r to scheme around.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

I'm not as sure as you.

Pro-Football-reference has a nice chart of HOF odds. Jones now sits at 57.15 while the average HOF DT gets 102 total points. They factor in everything and atm the players above him that are under the 102 are guys like Suh(84.58), Fletcher Cox(78.38), Geno Atkins(76.33), Haloti Ngata(64.53), Heyward(62.95), Wilfork(60.35) and a few others.

Could Jones keep playing for several years to add on to his stats/career numbers? Sure

I agree that if being selected into the Hall of Fame is important to him than he needs to ask himself how much monetary wise is the HOF to him? I'm sure a LOT of retired boarder line HOF guys would pay a lot to make it in.

VS

At 75 career sacks, he's almost certainly going to hit 100 over the next 3 seasons. A 3-time champion (the lone throughput of the 2020s dynastic Chiefs) with 100 sacks from the interior line who's been very media friendly his entire career? That will sail into the HoF.

Nirvana58 02-13-2024 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17400158)
But you're not gonna win one every year.

You have a chance to do something that's never been done. Not in the history of the league.

Go do that.

Say you play it safe, reload and end up winning a couple more down the line. Great. No one will remember that.

You win 3? Yeah.

Winning a Super Bowl takes a lot of luck. Especially in the injury department.

We are already a dynasty. We are going to be remembered. I would take Mahomes winning 8 Super Bowls over a 3 peat.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 17399990)
Shooting themselves in the head was hyperbole. If you believe players don't suffer from CTE, advanced/earlier arthritis, mental health issues due to the nature of their jobs than I don't know what to tell you :shrug: But there's a boatload of evidence out there if you want to google. All or most of which could have a detrimental affect on both future earnings potential or cost of living.

I stated, quite clearly, I DON'T KNOW YOUR SAMPLE SIZE. You've apparently talked to 60 former players...congrats! That probably 0.01% of retired players in the Super Bowl era. Don't think that hits like you thought it did.

If your point is that it's possible to live on $5M for the rest of your life, then ok I guess. A lot of people could make that work. Does that mean these guys shouldn't try to maximize their earnings? Help their extended family and set up their kids? Live with luxuries and not want to worry about ever working again? They're the absolute best in the world at a job that maybe 1 in a million is talented enough to have. And here you are bitching that they shouldn't reap the benefit or try to leverage their talent and hard work into as much of a reward as they possibly can in the small timeframe that window is open. All while crossing their fingers they don't get an injury that knocks them out of the league 5 years earlier than they were hoping.

Again...no idea what you do. Don't give a shit. Hopefully its not in finance. High five for making so much money though. That's really cool and helped your argument.

You're arguing to argue and missed every point I've made.

I've been working with former NFL players for some time.
Most of them still train hard and have no debilitating injuries (this doesn't mean some don't, so don't make a strawman argument)
My sample size is large enough over a decade that I do know what I'm talking about

I am all for players getting their money, but the idea that it's their one big payout is ridiculous. Once a guy gets into the NFL he has every opportunity to do something with that to capitalize on it either during his time as an active player, or post career.

No one NEEDS 50+ million to live off of. And the argument that they have to support multiple generations is absurd when no one else does that or is responsible for the next generation of family

I am VERY AWARE of CTE and worked with a large company for years looking at various nutritional and supplemental approaches to help reduce CTE conditions.

If guys want to chase a bag I support it. I don't support the silly arguments as to why they should.

DRM08 02-13-2024 02:59 PM

Quote:

I'm not as sure as you.

VS

Hall of Fame monitor seems pretty flawed in my view. Mahomes was listed at 93 at the end of the regular season. They only increased it to 95 after leading the team on a legendary run to win a 3rd championship. He is still listed below the stat padding chokers Matt Ryan and Phil Rivers. The list does not pass the smell test.