ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2017 12:35 PM

Here's a big shock:

-----

There may be a delay in the scheduled May launch of Star Trek Discovery, the upcoming new series for CBS All Access, CBS’ live streaming and VOD service. The news came as the casting of James Frain was announced as Spock’s father, Sarek. First introduced in the original Star Trek, Sarek has made multiple appearances throughout the franchise over the last five decades.

“Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week,” CBS said in a statement. “We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created. This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show. We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.”

The network is not confirming a move from the scheduled May launch date, but notes there is more flexibility on timing given it is a streaming platform. Production was already scheduled to begin next week, so there is no delay on that front.

---------
James Frain is a fine actor but he looks nothing like Sarek

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...8/aN_e6hSF.jpg

Deberg_1990 01-18-2017 08:46 PM

:facepalm:

Just premiere it in the fall

pr_capone 01-18-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12695783)
:facepalm:

Just premiere it in the fall

It isn't too late to scrap the whole thing...

unlurking 01-19-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12695795)
It isn't too late to scrap the whole thing...

/thread

DaneMcCloud 01-31-2017 12:46 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j9QHrNdgX4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 03-07-2017 01:00 PM

Jason Isaacs has signed on to play the Discovery's captain. Not the lead role, but evidently still a major one.

Seems like they've put a pretty solid cast together....

Somehow.

keg in kc 05-17-2017 12:43 PM

First real look....

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/f...5_0440b511.jpg

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 01:12 PM

It looks like they're on Jedha or Jakku

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 01:25 PM

Star Trek is male fantasy.

So cast two women in the leading roles.

GREAT DECISION!

Mephistopheles Janx 05-17-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12877672)
Star Trek is male fantasy.

So cast two women in the leading roles.

GREAT DECISION!

Perhaps there will be a budding lesbian relationship between them and the real reason CBS is putting it online is so that they can show some titties now and then.

:shake::shake::shake:

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 12877691)
Perhaps there will be a budding lesbian relationship between them

There is at least one gay character on Discovery, played by Anthony Rapp

RealSNR 05-17-2017 01:39 PM

Show us the damn uniforms already. Nobody cares about the shitty desert episode they've already shot

Frazod 05-17-2017 01:43 PM

From what I've read about the production problems, and them not giving a crap about canon, not to mention the horrible design of the new ship (looks like they glued a saucer to a Klingon battle cruiser), I am utterly unthrilled about this.

And if these ****ing tools think I'm going to pay another streaming service a monthly fee to watch ONE goddamn show, let's just say that the first free episode that they air had damn well better leap off my monitor screen and give me a holodeck hummer for the ages.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-17-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12877724)
give me a holodeck hummer for the ages.

This poor shipmate...

https://i.redd.it/0h2gjnzi9euy.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12877724)
From what I've read about the production problems, and them not giving a crap about canon, not to mention the horrible design of the new ship (looks like they glued a saucer to a Klingon battle cruiser), I am utterly unthrilled about this.

Dude it can't be any worse than Voyager or Enterprise.

I will definitely give it a chance.

At least it isn't directed by Jar Jar Abrams.

Frazod 05-17-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 12877786)

LMAO

Frazod 05-17-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12877806)

I'll give a chance and watch the free first episode.

But frankly I'm much more excited about The Orville than this.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12877833)
I'll give a chance and watch the free first episode.

But frankly I'm much more excited about The Orville than this.

The Orville and Lost In Space are way ahead of Discovery in terms of my interest and excitement.

Lost in Space is such a great concept that if done right, could be amazing.

Frazod 05-17-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12877806)

Agreed on both points.

Frazod 05-17-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12877851)
The Orville and Lost In Space are way ahead of Discovery in terms of my interest and excitement.

Lost in Space is such a great concept that if done right, could be amazing.

It's funny, when I was a kid back in the 70s I wanted nothing more than to be able to watch Lost in Space. It was aired on the independent channel out of Kansas City, but not the one out of St. Louis, and in Jeff City we got the St. Louis channel. When I'd visit my dad in Kirksville, they had the Kansas City channel, but my dad lived in the country and didn't have cable, so maybe, MAYBE, once a friggin year or so, I'd be at somebody's house at the right time to be able to see an episode of Lost in Space, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

A few years ago, I saw the old episodes were being broadcast on SciFi or some other channel and started watching them. Jesus, they were awful. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 03:03 PM

http://deadline.com/2017/05/star-tre...ss-1202096297/

Star Trek: Discovery‘s first season on CBS All Access will consist of 15 episodes, up from the 13 originally commissioned. In addition to the order increase, Star Trek: Discovery will be getting a companion show, Talking Trek.

After some delays, Star Trek: Discovery, currently filming its sixth episode, is on track for a fall launch with a premiere on CBS. The announcement was made during CBS’s upfront presentation, where the first trailer for Star Trek: Discovery made its debut. We will post it as soon as it’s available.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12877866)
A few years ago, I saw the old episodes were being broadcast on SciFi or some other channel and started watching them. Jesus, they were awful. LMAO

Yeah, after the initial Pilot episodes, which were Black & White and very "dark" in tone, the series shifted to color and became really goofy.

The sad part is that they wasted so much talent, including that of a young John Williams.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 03:45 PM

The trailer sucks.

Good ****ing grief.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4dxe_ugmIVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

007 05-17-2017 04:00 PM

Are those supposed to be Klingons? JFC

unlurking 05-17-2017 04:24 PM

That looks horrible. :(

Frazod 05-17-2017 04:41 PM

:spock:

Jamie 05-17-2017 04:57 PM

I try not to bitch about continuity too much, but...

stumppy 05-17-2017 05:23 PM

"Star Fleet doesn't fire first" ???? WTF
Sounds like a fist fight after school between 7 year olds.

Deberg_1990 05-17-2017 05:38 PM

Doesn't look too promising. I am disappoint

Nobody is gonna pay for that CBS

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 05:58 PM

Gotta say that looks like total shit. Not moved by characters, effects or dialogue. Bland.

It honestly looks like a fan film that's trying hard to be Abrams Star Trek. The ****ing lens flares and jank-ass camera angles my god.

Frazod 05-17-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12878131)
"Star Fleet doesn't fire first" ???? WTF
Sounds like a fist fight after school between 7 year olds.

If they're reading off cue cards. :shake:

Frazod 05-17-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12878206)
Gotta say that looks like total shit. Not moved by characters, effects or dialogue. Bland.

It honestly looks like a fan film that's trying hard to be Abrams Star Trek. The ****ing lens flares and jank-ass camera angles my god.

That's an insult to fan films. Ever watch Star Trek Continues? It blows this shit away. They should have turned over the reigns to Vic Mignogna instead of shutting them down.

listopencil 05-17-2017 06:40 PM

I used to have a cousin named Mikey. He was my stepfather's brother's child. He was a few years younger than me. Not much, just enough for me to notice what I perceived as the immaturity of his behavior. I saw him often when I was in elementary school and middle school. My aunt and uncle would come to visit and of course they would bring their son with them. He was annoying in a kid brother kind of way, which unsettled me a bit because I was the youngest in my family and I wasn't used to that feeling. The feeling of having a younger sibling. But I got used to it and I got used to him. Even after my mom and stepdad divorced. Because my aunt and uncle continued to visit us afterward. Checking on us, making sure we were doing all right, being there for us. They taught me a lot about what 'family' really means and I'm thankful to them for that.

One day on a cold Winter morning in Virginia my sister came running up to me as I played with my two best friends. We were kicking a soccer ball around and making a game of it. Boisterous and violent with glee, not a care in the world. Until I saw her face. Her pale face as white as that snow on the ground. And then her wild dark eyes huge like open pits streaming tears down her cheeks, tears dripping off of her nose and mouth, and I heard her ragged breaths between cries of anguish. Louder and louder as she ran towards me the cries were like strangled screams ripped from her lungs, and then they became sobs as she stopped not ten feet from me. "It's Mikey" she finally managed to squeak out. He had been run over by a school bus. He was killed instantly. I'd like to think that he felt no pain. The four of us just stood there with our breath billowing out in clouds, filling the frozen air between us. After the details had been relayed there was nothing that any of us could think to say. My sister returned home and I remained with my friends for a while. Stunned. Perhaps I was in shock.

I think of him now and then. He was part of my childhood. Another chunk of my life that I will never get back, that I will never relive, that is gone forever no matter how many pictures I see, or videos I watch, or recordings I hear. We bury the past like we bury the dead. We leave it behind because to dwell there is a sort of madness that we can't really afford to engage in. We do it so our memories don't become ghosts that haunt us. And that's what this trailer represents. The ghost of a dead child that should have been left in the ground. This show is going to be crap.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 06:45 PM

This trailer is 25 years old and is more exciting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qCcf9FBsNVo?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 05-17-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12878297)
I used to have a cousin named Mikey. He was my stepfather's brother's child. He was a few years younger than me. Not much, just enough for me to notice what I perceived as the immaturity of his behavior. I saw him often when I was in elementary school and middle school. My aunt and uncle would come to visit and of course they would bring their son with them. He was annoying in a kid brother kind of way, which unsettled me a bit because I was the youngest in my family and I wasn't used to that feeling. The feeling of having a younger sibling. But I got used to it and I got used to him. Even after my mom and stepdad divorced. Because my aunt and uncle continued to visit us afterward. Checking on us, making sure we were doing all right, being there for us. They taught me a lot about what 'family' really means and I'm thankful to them for that.

One day on a cold Winter morning in Virginia my sister came running up to me as I played with my two best friends. We were kicking a soccer ball around and making a game of it. Boisterous and violent with glee, not a care in the world. Until I saw her face. Her pale face as white as that snow on the ground. And then her wild dark eyes huge like open pits streaming tears down her cheeks, tears dripping off of her nose and mouth, and I heard her ragged breaths between cries of anguish. Louder and louder as she ran towards me the cries were like strangled screams ripped from her lungs, and then they became sobs as she stopped not ten feet from me. "It's Mikey" she finally managed to squeak out. He had been run over by a school bus. He was killed instantly. I'd like to think that he felt no pain. The four of us just stood there with our breath billowing out in clouds, filling the frozen air between us. After the details had been relayed there was nothing that any of us could think to say. My sister returned home and I remained with my friends for a while. Stunned. Perhaps I was in shock.

I think of him now and then. He was part of my childhood. Another chunk of my life that I will never get back, that I will never relive, that is gone forever no matter how many pictures I see, or videos I watch, or recordings I hear. We bury the past like we bury the dead. We leave it behind because to dwell there is a sort of madness that we can't really afford to engage in. We do it so our memories don't become ghosts that haunt us. And that's what this trailer represents. The ghost of a dead child that should have been left in the ground. This show is going to be crap.

So I gather you weren't impressed? LMAO

listopencil 05-17-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12878308)
So I gather you weren't impressed? LMAO

True.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12878165)
Doesn't look too promising. I am disappoint

Nobody is gonna pay for that CBS

November 2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11863797)
I'll be shocked if pilot is even watchable.

keg in kc 05-17-2017 06:56 PM

That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading the comments you guys made.

Frazod 05-17-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12878328)
That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading the comments you guys made.

You're welcome.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 06:56 PM

It just looks...hollow. With terrible, terrible acting.

How about giving a Klingon a line?

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12878329)
You're welcome.

LMAO

Frazod 05-17-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12878330)

ghotvam'e' qab Hegh ghaH Dunmo'

listopencil 05-17-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12878330)

Darur loDHom Heghpu'

Hammock Parties 05-17-2017 07:21 PM

I guess we're going to find out why there are no female captains in the rest of Star Trek until Janeway amirite

notorious 05-17-2017 07:51 PM

So that's what happened to Sasha from Walking Dead.

Bowser 05-17-2017 09:16 PM

Nice nod to the original movie with the jet suit.

The actors look wooden as hell, but the effects look decent. Minus Discovery though - it looks like a rejected Klingon scout ship.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12878633)

The actors look wooden as hell, but the effects look decent. Minus Discovery though - it looks like a rejected Klingon scout ship.

Paramount is so lost with the Star Trek franchise that their first pictures look like a shitty version of a shitty Star Wars film, then follow it up with a completely uninspired trailer featuring not even one scene or actor with even a scintilla of charisma.

Such is Paramount.

Chiefspants 05-17-2017 09:47 PM

I've seen better acting in my town's vacation bible school performances. Yuck.

Gonzo 05-17-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12878633)

Heh, this is actually what they first pictured the enterprise to look like before the first movie, (which was supposed to be a pilot for a new show originally).

I agree, though. Not a good look if it turns out this way.

RealSNR 05-17-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12878645)
Paramount is so lost with the Star Trek franchise that their first pictures look like a shitty version of a shitty Star Wars film, then follow it up with a completely uninspired trailer featuring not even one scene or actor with even a scintilla of charisma.

Such is Paramount.

Doesn't Paramount WANT a captive audience for lifting off their streaming service? Their captive audience already ****ing spoke up about what the wanted. Dorn's Captain Worf series maybe wouldn't have attracted the random TV watchers initially, but it would have given them guaranteed NUMBERS at least, and if they made it any good at all, I'm sure the audience would grow bit by bit. Hell, and the freakin pilot was crowdfunded-ready.

And I just don't understand when entertainment is looking to re-capture millennial viewers by re-booting/re-starting shit from the 90s why Paramount ****ing insists that this prequel shit is the way to go. How about you CONTINUE the events and adventures of the franchise when it was at its height? Those golden days of TNG never saw a more excited fanbase even among average television viewers for this show. They're not even allowing for "far future" series like TNG was to the original. God, how interesting would that be? Re-imagining technology and ships a full century past the events of TNG/DS9/Voyager? Get input from people to be ****ing CREATIVE for ****ing once. God, how about coming up with new modes of communication beyond the com-badge? Get some young kid to see that shit on TV and go, "I'm going to invent that!"

Nope. **** creativity. **** trying new things. Yes, I know they're restarting a 50-year old franchise, but they're not even TRYING to explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're banking on a ****ing Klingon War.

We already had what we wanted regarding a Klingon War. The Axanar movie. Fans demanded it, and CBS said no. They could have commandeered it and rolled that direction with their shitty prequel. Nope. Has to be this stupid lower decks story. Is Michelle Yeoh even going to be recognized as a real captain in fan lore since she's not the headline act of this series?

I would have loved an Axanar movie that was fan-funded. So much better than the other fan-made shit out there. I would have loved CBS taking that and running with it if they were worried about missing out on profit. Instead, we got this crap.

And **** Bryan Fuller, too. I hope his career ****ing dies. You don't commit to a franchise like Star Trek and then back out before the first ****ing season, you dumbass ****ing prick. We were promised the show would be in good hands with him because he knew how to connect to the fans with his writing, and now we got more terrible assholes who thought ST: Into Darkness is what fans wanted to see.

I'm watching the free one they'll broadcast. And I'm 99% certain I won't be blown away. When that happens, I ain't paying SHIT to stream this garbage. CBS can go **** itself.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 10:48 PM

SNR, I admire your endless passion for Star Trek. As someone that was an exec at Paramount for more than a decade, this trailer is exactly as I expected.

I cannot believe that Les Moonves is happy with this trailer, so I expect changes ahead.

Or not, because Paramount. :(

Frazod 05-17-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12878768)
SNR, I admire your endless passion for Star Trek. As someone that was an exec at Paramount for more than a decade, this trailer is exactly as I expected.

I cannot believe that Les Moonves is happy with this trailer, so I expect changes ahead.

I think it's going to fail, and fail spectacularly. And I think that's a good thing. Maybe one day we'll get decent Star Trek again. Until that day, we always have reruns of the good stuff.

The worst part is how CBS has crushed the fan productions. Have you ever watched any of the Star Trek Continues episodes? There are a couple of turkeys in there, but mostly they're wonderful. Those people know what Star Trek should be and put forth quality shows that are true to the original series.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12878833)
I think it's going to fail, and fail spectacularly. And I think that's a good thing. Maybe one day we'll get decent Star Trek again. Until that day, we always have reruns of the good stuff.

The worst part is how CBS has crushed the fan productions. Have you ever watched any of the Star Trek Continues episodes? There are a couple of turkeys in there, but mostly they're wonderful. Those people know what Star Trek should be and put forth quality shows that are true to the original series.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance but I'm in complete agreement with Viacom/CBS/Paramount's inability to take a great IP and deliver.

If Sumner Redstone ever dies, maybe we'll see a change.

Frazod 05-17-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12878841)
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance but I'm in complete agreement with Viacom/CBS/Paramount's inability to take a great IP and deliver.

If Sumner Redstone ever dies, maybe we'll see a change.

http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Seriously, give them a look. The last episode was particularly good, as was the one that was a direct sequel to Who Mourns for Adonis, starring Michael Forrest, the actor who played Apollo in the original TOS episode.

I think you'll like them. The acting can be a touch uneven at times, but they absolutely nail the look and feel of the original.

They've also had some other interesting guest stars, including Lou Ferrigno, Jamie Bamber (Apollo from BSG) and Rekha Sharma (Tori from BSG). And Grant Imihara from Mythbusters plays Sulu.

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12878844)
http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Seriously, give them a look. The last episode was particularly good, as was the one that was a direct sequel to Who Mourns for Adonis, starring Michael Forrest, the actor who played Apollo in the original TOS episode.

I think you'll like them. The acting can be a touch uneven at times, but they absolutely nail the look and feel of the original.

They've also had some other interesting guest stars, including Lou Ferrigno, Jamie Bamber (Apollo from BSG) and Rekha Sharma (Tori from BSG). And Grant Imihara from Mythbusters plays Sulu.

Will do! I'm always looking for ways to procrastinate during the week.

:D

Sure-Oz 05-18-2017 05:01 AM

So this show is on a streaming service only?

Deberg_1990 05-18-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12878768)

What happened to Paramount Dane? They used to make some great movies back in the 80s and 90s. Tons of blockbusters.

Now.... not so much unless it's a Mission Impossible or Star Trek movie.

Frazod 05-18-2017 08:02 AM

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...43&oe=59C188F6

siberian khatru 05-18-2017 08:14 AM

Enough with the lens flares already

Hammock Parties 05-18-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12879142)

The abandonment of the orthodox Star Trek fanbase to produce a watered-down, homogenized version of it for the masses to lap up is heartbreaking.

We'll probably never get back to what made Star Trek great.

Hog Rider 05-18-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12879142)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12879168)
The abandonment of the orthodox Star Trek fanbase to produce a watered-down, homogenized version of it for the masses to lap up is heartbreaking.

We'll probably never get back to what made Star Trek great.

This/these
Lens flares really ef it up for me, let alone that is looks poorly done. Even the last movie was so overblown with extreme scale CGI that it ruined it for me.
My wife says it's the Engineer in me.

Gonzo 05-18-2017 09:57 PM

https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

New promo

Looks like enterprise but with a bigger budget. I dunno. I might give it a shot.

I don't really have a problem with a female captain as long as they're not a moronic, power hungry **** like Janeway was. The fx look great. I'm torn a bit.

If you all want a great view on the Trek universe, google SF Debris and go to his website. He's done reviews for nearly every Trek episode. They're all very funny. Especially Voyager and Enterprise reviews. I find myself agreeing with roughly 85-90% of what he says.

Frazod 05-18-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 12880394)
https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

New promo

Looks like enterprise but with a bigger budget. I dunno. I might give it a shot.

I don't really have a problem with a female captain as long as they're not a moronic, power hungry **** like Janeway was. The fx look great. I'm torn a bit.

If you all want a great view on the Trek universe, google SF Debris and go to his website. He's done reviews for nearly every Trek episode. They're all very funny. Especially Voyager and Enterprise reviews. I find myself agreeing with roughly 85-90% of what he says.

Looks like the same shit as yesterday, and it gets more offensive with each additional viewing. Horrible acting - just horrible. Like Phantom Menace horrible.

They should have called it Plan 9 from the Federation.

Squalor2 05-18-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12878758)
Doesn't Paramount WANT a captive audience for lifting off their streaming service? Their captive audience already ****ing spoke up about what the wanted. Dorn's Captain Worf series maybe wouldn't have attracted the random TV watchers initially, but it would have given them guaranteed NUMBERS at least, and if they made it any good at all, I'm sure the audience would grow bit by bit. Hell, and the freakin pilot was crowdfunded-ready.

And I just don't understand when entertainment is looking to re-capture millennial viewers by re-booting/re-starting shit from the 90s why Paramount ****ing insists that this prequel shit is the way to go. How about you CONTINUE the events and adventures of the franchise when it was at its height? Those golden days of TNG never saw a more excited fanbase even among average television viewers for this show. They're not even allowing for "far future" series like TNG was to the original. God, how interesting would that be? Re-imagining technology and ships a full century past the events of TNG/DS9/Voyager? Get input from people to be ****ing CREATIVE for ****ing once. God, how about coming up with new modes of communication beyond the com-badge? Get some young kid to see that shit on TV and go, "I'm going to invent that!"

Nope. **** creativity. **** trying new things. Yes, I know they're restarting a 50-year old franchise, but they're not even TRYING to explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're banking on a ****ing Klingon War.

We already had what we wanted regarding a Klingon War. The Axanar movie. Fans demanded it, and CBS said no. They could have commandeered it and rolled that direction with their shitty prequel. Nope. Has to be this stupid lower decks story. Is Michelle Yeoh even going to be recognized as a real captain in fan lore since she's not the headline act of this series?

I would have loved an Axanar movie that was fan-funded. So much better than the other fan-made shit out there. I would have loved CBS taking that and running with it if they were worried about missing out on profit. Instead, we got this crap.

And **** Bryan Fuller, too. I hope his career ****ing dies. You don't commit to a franchise like Star Trek and then back out before the first ****ing season, you dumbass ****ing prick. We were promised the show would be in good hands with him because he knew how to connect to the fans with his writing, and now we got more terrible assholes who thought ST: Into Darkness is what fans wanted to see.

I'm watching the free one they'll broadcast. And I'm 99% certain I won't be blown away. When that happens, I ain't paying SHIT to stream this garbage. CBS can go **** itself.

love your rant. the axanar and the rest of the fan driven art that is being made, has some mighty big shoes to fill. paramount has to make new shoes. damn near impossible or re-tardis-ed.

unlurking 05-19-2017 07:27 AM

That whole "sense the coming of death" has got to be some of the dumbest ****ing dialogue I have ever heard.

Buehler445 05-19-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12880596)
That whole "sense the coming of death" has got to be some of the dumbest ****ing dialogue I have ever heard.

It's certainly in the discussion.

Fish 05-19-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he was breaking the 4th wall there, speaking about the series itself...

siberian khatru 05-19-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

I cringed as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12880729)
I'm pretty sure he was breaking the 4th wall there, speaking about the series itself...

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 05-19-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12878959)
What happened to Paramount Dane? They used to make some great movies back in the 80s and 90s. Tons of blockbusters.

Now.... not so much unless it's a Mission Impossible or Star Trek movie.

In short? Sumner Redstone.

He purchased Paramount in 1993 (4 years before I started there) and summarily ruined the film and TV division.

Hammock Parties 05-20-2017 12:27 PM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2c&oe=59A5E391

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2017 04:52 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hC7IMj7WFyE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 07-22-2017 09:57 PM

Still looks lame. :(

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12969180)
Still looks lame. :(

Agreed

Hammock Parties 07-23-2017 10:53 AM

Much better trailer. Looks like it has potential. They better not go all SJW on the Klingons though. Canon already states they are warfaring assholes during this part of the timeline.

listopencil 07-23-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12969461)
Much better trailer. Looks like it has potential. They better not go all SJW on the Klingons though. Canon already states they are warfaring assholes during this part of the timeline.

New leaked footage:

Image: Not Safe for Work
NSFW Image

Buehler445 07-23-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 12969461)

Agreed. It looked better but it didn't look or feel much like Star Trek

Frazod 07-23-2017 10:32 PM

Everything I see about this just infuriates me. 4321

Deberg_1990 07-23-2017 10:43 PM

Wow. No thanks. I'll pass

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12970495)
Everything I see about this just infuriates me. 4321

You and I are Trek fans so we could discuss it, hate it, yet still end up liking the new series.

But good ****ing grief.

The casting might be right. The visuals might be right.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions until story reveals itself.

But everything feels wrong.

I just don't get it.

Frazod 07-24-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12970532)
You and I are Trek fans so we could discuss it, hate it, yet still end up liking the new series.

But good ****ing grief.

The casting might be right. The visuals might be right.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions until story reveals itself.

But everything feels wrong.

I just don't get it.

I think the assholes who made this show know as much about Star Trek as the assholes who made Signs knew about working farms.