ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Decision to be made on #1 four days before draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271667)

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547772)
I like how the Chiefs have been opening shopping Albert for a month now but people here still don't think they plan on drafting a LT. Come on now.

I will say that these GMs lie all the time, this LT pick has been the pick since they've taken Albert. Every year it wasn't a LT.

B14ckmon 04-01-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547784)
I will say that these GMs lie all the time, this LT pick has been the pick since they've taken Albert. Every year it wasn't a LT.

How many of those years did the Chiefs have the #1 overall pick?

Saccopoo 04-01-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9547666)
Yep, it's deep for defensive line and top heavy for tackles. Just because kc doesn't necessarily need a tackle does not mean this is a weak draft class for tackles. In fact, it's probably the best draft class for tackles since 2008.

What?

How is this a deep tackle draft?

Johnson is a converted QB, DE and TE.

Joeckel wasn't even the best offensive tackle on his college team.

Fisher played at Central Michigan and will have a steep curve ahead of him.

DJ Fluker is most likely a guard.

Long and Pugh are just guys.

In fact, I like guys like Ricky Wagner, Tanner Hawkinson and Oday Aboushi as much as Johnson, Fisher and Joeckel.

And, as I said previously, I'd take Barrett Jones before any of them.

B14ckmon 04-01-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9547792)
What?

In fact, I like guys like Ricky Wagner, Tanner Hawkinson and Oday Aboushi as much as Johnson, Fisher and Joeckel.

Joeckel this year then you can take Lewan next year!

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-01-2013 08:46 PM

Stafford was a better project than Geno. Period.

He didn't just have a better arm, he had three years of increasingly productive play in the premiere college conference while playing in a pro-style offense.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 08:47 PM

SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL 6m
QB Geno Smith tells Howard and Gil that he is in Kansas City right now meeting with the Chiefs "I have a full schedule tomorrow"
Retweeted by Nick Jacobs
Expand

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547789)

We had the 3rd overall and 5th overall.

Saccopoo 04-01-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547751)
Stafford had a better arm IMO.

Stronger arm is not a better arm. Go ask Jamarcus Russell, Kyle Boller, David Klingler and Jeff George about that.

Stafford, in college, had zero touch. He's still below mediocre in that regard now.

And Geno can drop it on a dime from 50 yards in-between two defenders. That's enough of an arm for me and better than we've ever had in a Chiefs uniform.

B14ckmon 04-01-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9547801)

He didn't just have a better arm, he had three years of increasingly productive play in the premiere college conference while playing in a pro-style offense.

Geno was great his year in the pro style offense. But that was in a shitrific conference. Though they did play LSU/NC State/Pitt.

B14ckmon 04-01-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547806)
We had the 3rd overall and 5th overall.

That's my point. You had other teams in front of you then. The #1 seed only jerks around about players they think others will trade up for.

Saccopoo 04-01-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547789)

How many of those years did the Chiefs have a top five pick?

They've had their chances at the top tackles, and probably should have drafted Okung when it was early and moving Albert wasn't an issue.

Tombstone RJ 04-01-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9547792)
What?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...r-lane-johnson

The 2008 NFL Draft is remembered for the two first-round home runs at quarterback — the Atlanta Falcons' Matt Ryan and Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco. But the standout position was offensive tackle.

The class produced standouts as the Miami Dolphins' Jake Long (now with the St. Louis Rams), the Broncos' Ryan Clady and the Houston Texans' Duane Brown quickly emerged among the AFC's best.

Throw in Branden Albert, Sam Baker and Gosder Cherilus, and it was a pretty good tackle haul in Round 1.

The 2013 Draft class has the same potential. Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson are ready to have an immediate impact on the left side with their Pro Bowl-caliber skills. There also are rising prospects who might help this year's class trump the outside blocking riches of five years ago.

1. Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M (6-6, 306 pounds). Joeckel looks the part of a long-term athletic rock at left tackle, and there are no concerns about his character or football instincts. He is the best overall prospect in this draft, and it would be shocking if he slipped as far as No. 4 to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Kansas City Chiefs could still take him at No. 1, despite using the franchise tag on Albert. Having played in a fast-paced offense with Johnny Manziel will only help Joeckel in the NFL.

2. Eric Fisher, Central Michigan (6-7 1/4, 306). Fisher is doing his best to push Joeckel for the draft's top position, and tackle-needy teams should gladly take him in the top five after Joeckel is off the board. The home state Detroit Lions would be a great fit, as Fisher could replace retired Jeff Backus.

3. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma (6-6, 303). Johnson might slip out of the top 10, but that will be based only needs of drafting teams once Joeckel and Fisher are snagged. He's not quite at their level but still will be a fine immediate starter to plant at left tackle. The San Diego Chargers would be thrilled to get him at No. 11.

4. Menelik Watson, Florida State (6-5 1/8, 310). Watson has been a late riser because of his pure athleticism. He has excellent foot skills, which is why there is a growing belief he will transition nicely to left tackle. He is a bit raw, given he used to play basketball and is new to big-time football competition.

5. D.J. Fluker, Alabama (6-4 5/8, 339). Fluker stands out as the powerful right tackle of this class, and that shouldn't be a surprise considering he's a product of the Crimson Tide's run-blocking machine. He has improved his conditioning and should sneak into the latter half of the first round.

6. Kyle Long, Oregon (6-6 1/8, 313). He's the son of Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive lineman Howie Long and brother of Rams defensive end Chris Long, the No. 2 overall pick in 2008 Draft. Kyle Long developed strong hands while run-blocking as a guard, has the nimble feet of a left tackle and makes good use of his frame. His pedigree should make him a solid second-round pick.

Saccopoo 04-01-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9547801)

Stafford never passed for better than 61% in college (and he was a shitty 52 and 55% his first two years).

51 TDs to 33 Ints.

That's not Geno level numbers - and he had a running game and defense to support him.

He has a cannon. But there is also a reason that the Lions made Calvin Johnson the richest man in the NFL - because Stafford still has no touch and needs a guy like Johnson to make those plays downfield.

Right now, he's Culpepper with Moss.

He was drafted that high for the same reason guys like Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler and Kyler Boller were drafted high - huge arm.

But let's not make it out like he was the second coming of Elway. He wasn't.

splatbass 04-01-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9547687)
Yet you seem excited we have taken the route that has worked fewer times than the other?

Where do you get that? Seriously? Assume much?

If you had been paying attention in other threads I have said I would be happy if they drafted Geno #1. But some of the people here only care about drafting a QB in the first round - and don't even give a shit if it is a good one. As if the very act of drafting a QB #1 is the goal.

I don't care how we win, as long as we win. The draft is a means to an end, it is not the end. We don't play the games in order to draft, we draft in order to play the games. Many on this forum have lost site of that.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547815)
That's my point. You had other teams in front of you then. The #1 seed only jerks around about players they think others will trade up for.

Yes but the top OTs were available i believe

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9547763)
If you want that guy, then you draft Barrett Jones with your third rounder, though I think he's gone in the second.

Three time first team All-American at three different line positions and won the Outland Trophy at Left Tackle his junior year.

He's the best offensive lineman in this draft. Big, very smart and plays as nasty and mean as I've ever seen a offensive lineman play.

I have no idea why he's not getting the same press as guys like Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson (who wouldn't be the OU lineman people would be talking about as a first rounder if Don Stephenson stayed in school and came out this year).

Lisfranc.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9547850)
Stafford never passed for better than 61% in college (and he was a shitty 52 and 55% his first two years).

51 TDs to 33 Ints.

That's not Geno level numbers - and he had a running game and defense to support him.

He has a cannon. But there is also a reason that the Lions made Calvin Johnson the richest man in the NFL - because Stafford still has no touch and needs a guy like Johnson to make those plays downfield.

Right now, he's Culpepper with Moss.

He was drafted that high for the same reason guys like Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler and Kyler Boller were drafted high - huge arm.

But let's not make it out like he was the second coming of Elway. He wasn't.

Im a Geno supporter but Im sure his compl % was inflated due to screen passes that he threw alot

splatbass 04-01-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547693)
My goal is to win a Super Bowl. Tell me the list of QBs the past 15 years who wasnt a first round QB? Not many off the top of my head besides the lucky ass Pats with Brady, you had Brees, Brad Johnson. Everyone else was 1st round and high first round. Atleast teams try. We dont EVEN TRY

And how many 1st round QBs have not won a SB? We had one on the team last year. We have one on the team right now. WINNING is all that is important. But if you cream your pants at the very thought of a 1st round pick, fine. I want results, and I don't give a shit if it is a 1st round QB or a 7th that does it.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-01-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547861)
Im a Geno supporter but Im sure his compl % was inflated due to screen passes that he threw alot

Yup.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9547866)
And how many 1st round QBs have not won a SB? We had one on the team last year. We have one on the team right now. WINNING is all that is important. But if you cream your pants at the very thought of a 1st round pick, fine. I want results, and I don't give a shit if it is a 1st round QB or a 7th that does it.

Youre more likely to win with a 1st rounder. Yes we have Alex. But Franchise QBs arent traded. Im just not completely sold on putting all the eggs in his basket. Take a top QB prospect while we got the chance

B14ckmon 04-01-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547856)
Yes but the top OTs were available i believe

But was Andy "Loves OTs" Reid in the Coaches chair?

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9547867)
Yup.

I still like the kid. I like his confidence but I still dont get how you can complete 71% and he's called very inconsistent. Maybe theyre talking about deep ball. But SOME deep balls are kind of a luck pass. Alex Smith has been a good deep ball passer FWIW

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547874)
But was Andy "Loves OTs" Reid in the Coaches chair?

NO but SCOTT PIOLI WHO LOVES AND WAS A LINEMAN, was in that chair

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547878)
I still like the kid. I like his confidence but I still dont get how you can complete 71% and he's called very inconsistent. Maybe theyre talking about deep ball. But deep balls are kind of a luck pass. Alex Smith has been a good deep ball passer FWIW

wut

RedDread 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547882)
wut

I think he means a Luck pass.

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

The game your OC draws up for you is the game your OC draws up for you. If his deep schemes aren't there but he has a check down available you want him to force the deep pass just to satisfy the masses and show off his arm? How do you think he kept his Int's down? He made the smarter decision to not force the situation, knowing that they would eventually come up to guard against the dump off and he could bomb it to Austin or Bailey. Alex Smith checks down alot, as did Cassel, but you know something that Geno can do that those other guys can't? Throw the ball 60 yards down the field when the opportunity arises and have some semblance of a deep threat. You want to dock Geno for taking the smart throw? Just drop that shit.

DaneMcCloud 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

wut

They're like home runs.

No one knows when they're going to happen.

:p

RunKC 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

All depends on Alex Smith. He wins playoff games in the next few years and he deserves a chance. He chokes and you start looking to draft his replacement.

Bewbies 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

This place gets ****ing dumber every day. Jags fans arguing with Pats fans arguing with Bronco fans arguing about what the Chiefs will do.

Plus our local reeruns help em all out.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

wut

Look at Flacco's deep balls lol some of those were very lucky

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:12 PM

Damn Andrew Luck change your last name ROFL my bad guys

DaneMcCloud 04-01-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547893)

I think you're very lucky that you don't fall out of bed every morning and break your nose on the floor.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9547889)
They're like home runs.

No one knows when they're going to happen.

:p

LMAO

The Franchise 04-01-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

I still like the kid. I like his confidence but I still dont get how you can complete 71% and he's called very inconsistent. Maybe theyre talking about deep ball. But deep balls are kind of a luck pass. Alex Smith has been a good deep ball passer FWIW

Alex Smith threw the ball deep less than Cassel.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9547900)
I think you're very lucky that you don't fall out of bed every morning and break your nose on the floor.

Ya Im lucky that Im not hit by a car too i guess LMAO

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

This is seriously not only one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read on any message board, but also one of the worst attempts I've seen to justify said argument.

Jesus Christ.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9547908)
Alex Smith threw the ball less than Cassel.

I thought a stat was posted that he had a good compl % on his deep ball

BossChief 04-01-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9547772)
I like how the Chiefs have been opening shopping Albert for a month now but people here still don't think they plan on drafting a LT. Come on now.

It's also possible that is a smokescreen.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547910)
This is seriously not only one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read on any message board, but also one of the worst attempts I've seen to justify said argument.

Jesus Christ.

Well some of them were. Look at the safety play in that last one versus Denver? Just saying. I like Flaccos deep ball

Bewbies 04-01-2013 09:16 PM

Is there a person in here that knows how to breathe in and out of their nose?

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:16 PM

Ya those Albert rumors kind of died down. Havent heard anything in a while

RunKC 04-01-2013 09:16 PM

I'll slightly, but not completely agree with dtchiefs4life.

Boldin has bailed Flacco out a few times, like in the SB where Flacco threw the ball straight the **** up in the air and Boldin fought for that son'bitch and came down with it.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9547919)
I'll slightly, but not completely agree with dtchiefs4life.

Boldin has bailed Flacco out a few times, like in the SB where Flacco threw the ball straight the **** up in the air and Bolding fought for that son'bitch and came down with it.

That's all I meant. I mean some deep balls you see QBs throw are completed because defenders cant play the ball or get PIs called

Bewbies 04-01-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547920)
That's all I meant. I mean some deep balls you see QBs throw are completed because defenders cant play the ball or get PIs called

This is doctorate level shit right here! How do you have time away from NASA to grace us with your insight here?

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547915)
Well some of them were. Look at the safety play in that last one versus Denver? Just saying. I like Flaccos deep ball

You said this.

Quote:

deep balls are kind of a luck pass.

Then tried to use a receiver going up and getting the ball as justification.

Holy shit batman, with that kind of logic, every single throw that's completed is a "luck pass".

Yes, Boldin made great plays on deep throws throughout the playoffs. However, to call deep throws "luck passes" is just incredibly stupid.

Dave Lane 04-01-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9547171)
So...backup tackle, backup tackle, backup outside linebacker, or quarterback where we've had a blinding, crippling need for years?

I know I'm kinda torn too. Maybe we should just go with a punter instead.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9547923)
This is doctorate level shit right here! How do you have time away from NASA to grace us with your insight here?

LMAO

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9547923)

Go watch Flacco's deep throws man. Boldin at times was raping defenders for it

keg in kc 04-01-2013 09:22 PM

Part of being good is giving other good players an opportunity to make plays.

I realize we haven't seen anything like that here in almost 10 years.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547926)
You said this.

Then tried to use a receiver going up and getting the ball as justification.

Holy shit batman, with that kind of logic, every single throw that's completed is a "luck pass".

Yes, Boldin made great plays on deep throws throughout the playoffs. However, to call deep throws "luck passes" is just incredibly stupid.

Whatever man. Sorry for not rephrasing the correct way. You all ****ing overreact on this board. **** yourself

Saccopoo 04-01-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547861)

Matt Stafford:

Geno Smith

Yards per attempt.

Oh, and watch this game (just Geno's passes):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Hhcnos0g60?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talk to me about screen passes.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9547936)
Matt Stafford:

Geno Smith

Yards per attempt.

Oh, and watch this game (just Geno's passes):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Hhcnos0g60?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talk to me about screen passes.

I did watch Geno this year some and he did throw alot of screen passes.

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:24 PM

Well to be honest... that was against KU. Maybe a better example of an opponent would be better.

ChiefAshhole20 04-01-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9547940)
Well to be honest... that was against KU. Maybe a better example of an opponent would be better.

Would you prefer Baylor?

Just Passin' By 04-01-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547714)
Well easier said than done with 2-7 round QBs. Facts are facts. Only 3 QBs have won the Super Bowl that were 2-7 (brad johnson the exception he was round 9) round QBs

47 Super Bowls

Starr - 17th round
Unitas - 9th round
Staubach - 10th round
Stabler - 2nd round
Montana - 3rd round
Theisman - 4th round
Hostetler - 3rd round
Rypien - 6th round
Favre - 2nd round
Warner - undrafted
Brady - 6th round
Johnson - 9th round
Brees - 2nd round

13 non-first round SB winners
17 Super Bowl wins

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9547951)
47 Super Bowls

Starr - 17th round
Unitas - 9th round
Staubach - 10th round
Stabler - 2nd round
Montana - 3rd round
Theisman - 4th round
Hostetler - 3rd round
Rypien - 6th round
Favre - 2nd round
Warner - undrafted
Brady - 6th round
Johnson - 9th round
Brees - 2nd round

13 non-first round SB winners
17 Super Bowl wins

Some of those guys were lightning in a bottle its a completely different game now. Its a passing league. You need elite QBs to win SBs

splatbass 04-01-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547873)
But Franchise QBs arent traded.

It may not happen often, but it does happen. So your absolute statement is untrue.

Favre
Brees

-King- 04-01-2013 09:33 PM

Geno Smith: A Tale in Accuracy
<hr style="color:#cccccc" size="1"> Geno Smith: A Tale in Accuracy
By JayhawksNChiefs on Jan 10, 4:04p 422

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1...le-in-accuracy

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/cho...dard_709.0.jpgJustin K. Aller

I’m not going to sit here and say that I can predict the future, because I can’t. But I’m pretty sure what the talk on AP will be about for roughly the next three months. There will be an endless discussion (which will end in 3 months) on what the Chiefs are going to do with the number 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft. While perusing through the limitless comments on AP, one voice prevails through the masses. That voice says, "Draft Geno Smith."

The numbers are impressive. In his career, Mr. Smith threw for 11,662 yards, tallied up 98 touchdowns to only 21 interceptions, and completed 67% of the passes that left his hand. But, many believe those impressive stats are a result of the system he played in. Short screen passes and two explosive receivers that warrant draft talk of their own undoubtedly could inflate any QBs success.

After going through the AP scouting process (YouTube), many can form their own opinion of what they like and don’t like. Depending on the observer, things like arm strength, footwork, poise, accuracy, release, and pocket awareness can all be discerned from prospect to prospect. Opinions are formed and debates ensue on exactly what each prospect can offer.

It was my attempt, in this post, to stray from this type of analysis. I wanted something more objective. You can show 10 different people tape of Geno throwing the ball and you will get 10 different opinions. Some may be similar, but all will vary in one degree or another.

Specifically, I wanted to tackle the debate on Geno’s accuracy. As stated earlier in the post, Geno has a very impressive career completion percentage, one that he was able to increase every year as a starter. Also stated earlier, this percentage is said to be due, in large part, to the short and "easy" passes that he was asked to make.

To explore this idea, I observed 8 games from Geno’s 2012 campaign. Those games were Texas, Texas Tech, Maryland, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Kansas. I used the YouTube videos of Geno Smith vs. insert opponent here in my research. The goal of this research was relatively simple. One comment in particular sparked the idea when a user stated that, "90% of his passes were screen passes." Well AP, were they?

I present the following chart:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_as...60c_medium.jpg
via i1257.photobucket.com

As I watched the games, I charted where each completion and incompletion were in regard to the line of scrimmage. It didn’t matter where the receiver ended up, all that mattered is where he caught it or attempted to catch it. After completing 8 games and 300 throws, I felt I had an adequate and representative sample size.

The double lines running down the middle of the chart can pretty much be thought of as the hash marks on a football field. With the exception, for example, that sometimes the ball can be located on the right hash pre-snap and a pass will be completed with the receiver going over the middle. The receiver might catch it outside of the hash marks, but for all intents and purposes it was a pass over the middle. I thought this better represented the types of throws that he was either missing or hitting.
The “NLOS” (Near Line of Scrimmage) is any pass that is generally within 3 yards of the LOS (i.e. screens, swing passes, and maybe a few shallow drag routes). The “4 to 9” section refers to passes that were completed/attempted within 4 to 9 yards of the line of scrimmage (usually outs, ins, and slants). The farther up the chart you go, the farther the passes were from the LOS. From there, I think most get the idea.

To give an example on how to read the chart, the bottom left section describes that Geno completed 41 of 46 passes (89.1%) that were directed to his left and were near the line of scrimmage. The far right column gives totals for each “level.”
Interesting Notes:
  • Feel free to take all of the screens away from Geno’s game. He completed 131 out of 213 passes that were 4+ yards past the LOS for a completion percentage of 61.5%.
  • 28% of his pass attempts were NLOS, 33% were from the 4-9 range, and 24% were from 10-20 yards past the LOS.
  • 36% of his pass completions were NLOS (not quite 90%), 32% were from the 4-9 range, and 23% were from 10-20 yards past the LOS.
  • 42% of his passes were directed to the left side of the field.
  • Geno completed 18 out of 43 passes (42%) that were 21+ yards past the LOS.
  • Geno is deadly accurate over the middle, check out that middle column. He had 6 of 9 passes that were 31+ yards down field completed, impressive. Geno’s completion percentages in the left, middle, and right were 70%, 72%, and 66% respectively.
  • Cause for concern? Completing 10/21 for a 48% completion percentage on passes that were 10 – 20 yards downfield and on the right side of the field.
  • Reason for optimism? Completing 19/28 for a 68% completion percentage on passes that were 10 – 20 yards downfield and on the left side of the field.
These last two notes were of particular importance to myself when doing this evaluation. NFL quarterbacks are separated by what they can do 10 to 20 yards downfield and outside the numbers. I’ll give you a math problem. How far does a ball travel from a quarterback that drops back 5 yards from the LOS, throws it halfway across a football field that is 53 yards wide, and the ball travels 15 yards past the LOS? My buddy, Pythagoras, told me that 15 yard completion is actually about a 33 yard pass. Is he right?

The overall results of the research seem promising. Initially, I defined 15 parts of the field. I had 5 levels of the defense separated by 3 sections. Through my evaluation, Geno was able to effectively attack each of these 15 parts. Not all equally, but he made the defense account for the whole field. Do the screens inflate his completion percentage? Yes, but those passes are hardly a given… cough*Matt Cassel to Eric Weddle*cough. The percentage of those he completes is beyond impressive by itself (88%). And those passes can travel around 20 yards in the air, at times. The only way those plays work are to get the ball there very quickly and very accurately, which Geno does nearly robotically.

I was a Geno Smith fan before I put this together, and this did nothing but confirm my thoughts on him. I have nothing to compare these numbers to, so I’m thinking about doing a similar evaluation on a couple of the other quarterback prospects. In the end, I hope people find this interesting and can find a way to use this information in their own evaluations.

splatbass 04-01-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9547913)
It's also possible that is a smokescreen.

Apparently Albert doesn't think so. He didn't show up to practice.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547930)
Go watch Flacco's deep throws man. Boldin at times was raping defenders for it

Complete luck I tell ya!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18bb...f/original.gif

http://static6.businessinsider.com/i...017/flacco.gif

http://show-me-your-tds.com/wp-conte...Joe-Flacco.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1351115/joethrow.gif

LMAO

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547935)
Whatever man. Sorry for not rephrasing the correct way. You all ****ing overreact on this board. **** yourself

LMAO

You're a mongoloid.

Does your mother wipe your drool from your chin?

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:37 PM

You're lucky you found those...

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9547949)
Would you prefer Baylor?

Would I prefer to eat out Lindsay Lohan over Anne Hathaway??? NO, I said real competition!

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547965)
LMAO

You're a mongoloid.

Does your mother wipe your drool from your chin?

No your mom wipes my cum from her mouth. Go rape your sister in your picture

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9547968)
You're lucky you found those...

I'm not sure what this means.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547972)

Ok so i should of said "SOME" deep passes are lucky. There

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547971)
No your mom wipes my cum from her mouth. Go rape your sister in your picture

If I were from South Carolina, I'm sure it wouldn't be an uncommon practice.

I'm not sure why you're so pissy because I proved your argument was dumb as ****.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547976)
Ok so i should of said "SOME" deep passes are lucky. There

I mean, there's just a teeny tiny bit of distinction there.

Just like, a smidge.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547977)
If I were from South Carolina, I'm sure it wouldn't be an uncommon practice.

I'm not sure why you're so pissy because I proved your argument was dumb as ****.

Im from Ohio asswhipe nice try. Not pissy at all. Just shouldve said SOME deep passes are lucky. Didnt think you'd overreact asshole

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9547972)

Took more than luck and skill to find those gifs so quickly. It couldn't be a gift, it had to be luck... similar to Flacco's throws.... deep down the field..... **** it tried and failed to make a comparison.

DaneMcCloud 04-01-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9547970)
Would I prefer to eat out Lindsay Lohan over Anne Hathaway??? NO, I said real competition!

I'm not so sure about that.

Lindsey is a ****ing FREAK.

Anne? Not so much.

Be careful what you wish for, young lady.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:45 PM

Wouldnt touch Lohan with a ten foot pole

BossChief 04-01-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9547959)
Apparently Albert doesn't think so. He didn't show up to practice.

I wonder if playbooks got passed out today.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:47 PM

No, you said deep throws are luck passes. Then you tried to support it.

Then later you changed your argument to "well, I guess I should have said some deep passes are lucky".

If you can't recognize the colossal gap between the two, I don't know what to tell you.

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

There ya go ponder. Said some. Now shut the **** up

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9547983)
I'm not so sure about that.

Lindsey is a ****ing FREAK.

Anne? Not so much.

Be careful what you wish for, young lady.

You **** the freaks, I'll wake up every morning knowing my dick won't fall off. Oh and next to a more attractive woman as well.

Sorter 04-01-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9547981)
Took more than luck and skill to find those gifs so quickly. It couldn't be a gift, it had to be luck... similar to Flacco's throws.... deep down the field..... **** it tried and failed to make a comparison.

No, now it makes sense.

The bombay from early still has side effects ROFL.

Just Passin' By 04-01-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9547953)
Some of those guys were lightning in a bottle its a completely different game now. Its a passing league. You need elite QBs to win SBs

47 Super Bowls

Namath
Dawson
Griese
Bradshaw
Plunkett
McMahon
Simms
Williams
Aikman
Young
Elway
Dilfer
Roethlisberger
P. Manning
E. Manning
Rodgers
Flacco

17 First round QB winners
30 SB wins

The number of different SB winning QBs is the same for first round and non-first round.

The number of SBs won by 1st/non-first round QBs since this became a passing league (got to be post-Elway, because of T.D. followed by The Greatest Show On Turf) is 8/6.

The Number of different SB winners by 1st/non-first round QBs since this became a passing league (got to be post-Elway, because of T.D. followed by The Greatest Show On Turf) is 6/4.

DaneMcCloud 04-01-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9548004)
You **** the freaks, I'll wake up every morning knowing my dick won't fall off. Oh and next to a more attractive woman as well.

Life is a highway...

Mother****erJones 04-01-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548006)
47 Super Bowls

Namath
Dawson
Griese
Bradshaw
Plunkett
McMahon
Simms
Williams
Aikman
Young
Elway
Dilfer
Roethlisberger
P. Manning
E. Manning
Rodgers
Flacco

17 First round QB winners
30 SB wins

The number of different SB winning QBs is the same for first round and non-first round.

The number of SBs won by 1st/non-first round QBs since this became a passing league (got to be post-Elway, because of T.D. followed by The Greatest Show On Turf) is 8/6.

The Number of different SB winners by 1st/non-first round QBs since this became a passing league (got to be post-Elway, because of T.D. followed by The Greatest Show On Turf) is 6/4.

Youre still arguing about QBs from 30 years ago? LOL get a clue. Look at how the game has evolved and what QBs win SBs