ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Mass Effect 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=238275)

keg in kc 03-10-2012 05:31 PM

Just finished. I thought the ending....fit. I can understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I did. My only complaint was a gameplay thing, and it's a minor one, more of an annoyance. Story-wise it worked. For me at least.

The game as a whole, amazing. I don't know how they could have done it any better than they did. I can't think of another game that had as many emotional moments, and the last quarter of it just did not let up. I hadn't planned on playing for 10 hours straight today, but I just couldn't stop.

Johnny Vegas 03-10-2012 06:29 PM

curing the genophase mission was so ****ing badass. My mouth was hanging open at the end. Really love this game. I started out being and asshole so I can play it again being nice but I can't help sometimes give in and do the right thing to gain galactic support.

Frazod 03-11-2012 01:40 AM

Finally started playing this tonight. It rules.

And I'm guessing Ashley had a boob job. DAMN :drool:

veist 03-11-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8438010)
Just finished. I thought the ending....fit. I can understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I did. My only complaint was a gameplay thing, and it's a minor one, more of an annoyance. Story-wise it worked. For me at least.

The game as a whole, amazing. I don't know how they could have done it any better than they did. I can't think of another game that had as many emotional moments, and the last quarter of it just did not let up. I hadn't planned on playing for 10 hours straight today, but I just couldn't stop.

I loved it right until that final scene, which was just like "wow, really? :rolleyes:" Trying not to spoiler it and I mean I still loved 99% of the game, I put 40hrs into it and besides maybe one or two spots the game just barely lets you come up for air its so well done.

keg in kc 03-11-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8439445)
I loved it right until that final scene, which was just like "wow, really? :rolleyes:" Trying not to spoiler it and I mean I still loved 99% of the game, I put 40hrs into it and besides maybe one or two spots the game just barely lets you come up for air its so well done.

There's a fascinating theory:
Spoiler!

Wallcrawler 03-11-2012 03:34 PM

Im getting a little bit pissed off with this.

Firstly, the game wont import any of my ME1-2 characters, so the story for me has been complete bullshit and isnt following anything according to what Ive already done so far.

Im stuck with Wreav instead of Wrex, who was probably my favorite character thusfar, because apparently the default story was Wrex dies on Virmire.

I just now found out that the game is insinuating that I killed the Rachni Queen in the first game, which I didnt.

Should be starting at level 30, but instead now I had to start over completely. They didnt even put in a quiz like they did in ME2. Big fail here. Now even if you wanted to see the ending having made different choices over games 1 and 2, you would need to have a character that actually did that. I dont have ME 1 and 2 anymore, but I retained my saves so I could at least finish 3, and now thats not working.

Throw in on top of that, the fact that just about every time I get situated on my couch, I have to get up and switch fucking discs. Ive had my 360 a long time, so the door does the whole jamming thing where it wont open until after the first 10 attempts.

Gameplay seems pretty solid, but this inability to continue MY version of the story and all the disc switching makes me pretty glad this is just a rental.

Loving the Kinect Voice features for the powers as well. Really cool and actually feels like youre there leading the team and calling out orders. Being able to speak the dialogue options in conversations was a nice touch as well.

keg in kc 03-11-2012 04:06 PM

Just played multiplayer for the first time. Suprisingly fun. Died on the 10th ****ing wave. LMAO

Johnny Vegas 03-11-2012 05:56 PM

one thing I am pissed about is they didn't make it compatible with PS Move but they with the Kinect. Bastards. I wanted to use my gun.

Wallcrawler 03-11-2012 09:18 PM

only voice recognition works with kinect, not any motion control.

Pretty cool to be able to just run and say "Shotgun" to pull the shotty out. I dont think Ive brought up the menu to change weapons since I started. Being able to lay down heavy fire and just say "grenade" is pretty sweet also.

Really kicks ass not having to worry about having only 3 abilities able to be hotkeyed at once, because now all you have to do is call out what you want, and it happens.

The recognition is superb, as I can even say what I want in a pretty quiet voice and it still picks up what I said instantly. Ive never had to say anything twice, if anything, sometimes it becomes a hiccup because Ill say something to my friend like "I just got a new shotgun" and the game will switch my weapon out for me and bust out the shotgun. Heh.

veist 03-12-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8440912)
There's a fascinating theory:
Spoiler!

My problem with it was of a more fundamental narrative construction issue
Spoiler!

Johnny Vegas 03-12-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8443124)

Pretty cool to be able to just run and say "Shotgun" to pull the shotty out. I dont think Ive brought up the menu to change weapons since I started. Being able to lay down heavy fire and just say "grenade" is pretty sweet also.

Really kicks ass not having to worry about having only 3 abilities able to be hotkeyed at once, because now all you have to do is call out what you want, and it happens.

The recognition is superb, as I can even say what I want in a pretty quiet voice and it still picks up what I said instantly. Ive never had to say anything twice, if anything, sometimes it becomes a hiccup because Ill say something to my friend like "I just got a new shotgun" and the game will switch my weapon out for me and bust out the shotgun. Heh.

yea. I'm gonna have to get kinect. Was looking for an excuse. Think I found it. :D

Saulbadguy 03-12-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8443124)

That's reeruned. You are reeruned for liking it.

Saulbadguy 03-12-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8441347)
Just played multiplayer for the first time. Suprisingly fun. Died on the 10th ****ing wave. LMAO

Yeah, the multiplayer is actually pretty good.

Frazod 03-12-2012 08:30 AM

I'm probably about eight or nine hours in at this point. I'm enjoying it, although probably not quite as much as the last one. Beating back the husks gets tiresome after a while - I prefer fighting Cerberos.

keg in kc 03-12-2012 10:07 AM

You get plenty of cerberus by the end. 8 or 9 hours might be a quarter of the game if you do everything. It took me more than 40 hours to finish, playing on Normal (about as long as ME2 without DLC took playing on Insanity, or my last playthrough on normal including Overlord, Shadow Broker and Arrival).

I'd say in total I found 3 to be more engaging than 2. I think the story's better -- they cover an unbelievable amount of ground by the end, connect 3 to both 1 and 2 in ways I didn't expect, and it never really gets boring at any point. Aside from the final 10 minutes of the game (general consensus, not necessarily my personal opinion...) it may be the best storytelling bioware's done, all things (story, cinematics) considered. I would also say the combat's the best in the series and to me the EMS is less tedious than either the Mako or planet scanning. I've seen complaints, of course, but I like the way side quests are tied into exploration. I also really like the way that many side quests are given via people speaking on the citadel.

If it's not the perfect game (end complaints...) it's certainly the next evolutionary step toward it. I've been wondering where they go from here with the franchise, and I really hope it's a Mass Effect 4, although I don't know how in the world they can do that. Before I played ME3 I was thinking they'd take the franchise toward another game genre, maybe straight FPS, but now I just want more of the kind of thing they did in the first 3. Shooter/RPG hybrid, heavy on story. I think anything else would leave me feeling like I want more.

I actually started my second playthrough last night. I think after this one I'm going to go all the way back to ME1 and play the trilogy through slowly.

veist 03-12-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8444458)
You get plenty of cerberus by the end. 8 or 9 hours might be a quarter of the game if you do everything. It took me more than 40 hours to finish, playing on Normal (about as long as ME2 without DLC took playing on Insanity, or my last playthrough on normal including Overlord, Shadow Broker and Arrival).

I'd say in total I found 3 to be more engaging than 2. I think the story's better -- they cover an unbelievable amount of ground by the end, connect 3 to both 1 and 2 in ways I didn't expect, and it never really gets boring at any point. Aside from the final 10 minutes of the game (general consensus, not necessarily my personal opinion...) it may be the best storytelling bioware's done, all things (story, cinematics) considered. I would also say the combat's the best in the series and to me the EMS is less tedious than either the Mako or planet scanning. I've seen complaints, of course, but I like the way side quests are tied into exploration. I also really like the way that many side quests are given via people speaking on the citadel.

If it's not the perfect game (end complaints...) it's certainly the next evolutionary step toward it. I've been wondering where they go from here with the franchise, and I really hope it's a Mass Effect 4, although I don't know how in the world they can do that. Before I played ME3 I was thinking they'd take the franchise toward another game genre, maybe straight FPS, but now I just want more of the kind of thing they did in the first 3. Shooter/RPG hybrid, heavy on story. I think anything else would leave me feeling like I want more.

I actually started my second playthrough last night. I think after this one I'm going to go all the way back to ME1 and play the trilogy through slowly.

I'm really interested in what they end up doing for DLC with this one. I mean, ME2 has two pieces of DLC that are easily head and shoulders some of the best DLC ever in Arrival and Lair of the Shadowbroker. Those both really raised the bar for the quality of DLC.

keg in kc 03-12-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8445061)
I'm really interested in what they end up doing for DLC with this one. I mean, ME2 has two pieces of DLC that are easily head and shoulders some of the best DLC ever in Arrival and Lair of the Shadowbroker. Those both really raised the bar for the quality of DLC.

I always felt that Overlord raised the bar as well, pointless Hammerhead part aside.

Even looking at the DA2 dlc, one thing that's made me happy with Bioware and EA is that they are not shirking on their DLC in either quality or quantity (meaning time involved). Both Legacy and Mark of the Assassin were good and fairly long, too, in the same vein as Overlord, Arrival and Shadow Broker. So that makes me optimistic.

Doing my best not to spoil things for the people who haven't gotten there, some people have bitched that they won't buy dlc for ME3 because of the ending, but I'm of the mind that I'm all for anything that adds to the length of the game. In the end, whether I like the destination or not, it's awfully hard not to love the journey.

Wallcrawler 03-12-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8443957)
That's reeruned. You are reeruned for liking it.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...61j5o1_250.gif

Mr. Laz 03-13-2012 09:04 PM

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC Leak Reveals Possible New Character Class
2 Comments
Posted 3 hours 13 mins ago - By Nikole Zivalich

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...witterfantrack

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer DLC may have been leaked. An image, allegedly taken from the Mass Effect 3 developer server, popped up on reddit showing new playable character classes and was then posted to Facebook. I'm hardly a photoshop expert so I can't comment on the image. I am a DLC expert and I think it's pretty obvious that ME3's multiplayer DLC will offer more character classes.

If we pretend the above image is legit, and confirmed by BioWare (which it's not) then ME3's multiplayer will soon have a Geth Engineer and Infiltrator, Batarian Soldier and Sentinel, Krogan Battlemaster and Asari Justicar.

While I personally won't be returning to multiplayer anytime soon, the Asari Justicar would be awesome to play as. I wonder if I'd get unnecessarily low cut armor? Cleavage helps serve justice.

keg in kc 03-13-2012 09:07 PM

I think that reddit image was debunked yesterday, but I'm not completely certain.

veist 03-14-2012 10:10 PM

I still can't believe most of the criticism leveled at the ending. Did these people really expect rainbows and unicorns in the ending? I mean I wasn't in love with the ending but it's largely because I thought some very minor changes would make it way stronger but the more I see these complaints it's like "did we just play the same three games?"

keg in kc 03-15-2012 02:19 AM

I think the problem is the lack of closure. The ending is not clear and it's not well defined. But I'm with you. I see the game getting hammered all over the place, and it's like people are completely disregarding the 99.999% of the game that exists before the last 10 minutes. "It's ruined the game, it's ruined the series. Why replay any of it?"

It just boggles the mind. I think it's an amazing game, even with the head-scratching ending. But different people react in different ways I guess.

I should add that the kind of people who are prone to finish the game by last weekend or even by now (I count myself in this group...) are probably the kind of people who are most likely to fly off the handle on the internet. I think the saner people 1) won't be on boards to begin with and 2) are probably still only 20 hours into it.

Frazod 03-15-2012 11:03 AM

I finished this last night. And son, I am dissapoint.

I played the first two games for weeks/months. I finished this one in a week, and really have no desire whatsoever to replay it. I found the gameplay to be repetitive, boring, and occasionally annoying. The side quests and exploration were terrible, the interface was a step down from the last game, and I'm sorry, but that ending just absolutely chugged cock - frankly, it was worse than KOTOR2. And for all the continuity, they sure dropped the ball on some stuff (Shepard would have known what the ardat-yakshis were, for example).

This was not worth the wait, nor did it come close to living up to the standards of the first two games.

:mad:

keg in kc 03-15-2012 11:07 AM

I had a whole side-quest built around Samara and her daughters. My Shepard definitely knew what they were. Wonder if you ran into a bug of some kind.

Frazod 03-15-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8456480)
I had a whole side-quest built around Samara and her daughters. My Shepard definitely knew what they were. Wonder if you ran into a bug of some kind.

I think may I missed out on a good deal of interesting content by not importing an ME2 character - the one I would have imported wasn't finished yet, and I just wasn't motivated enough to wrap it up before playing this one. Samara wasn't mentioned during the entire course of the game, and that makes no sense at all.

Oh well. Perhaps at some point I'll finish up that ME2 game and import the character and give it another shot, but I'm not in any hurry to do so. I think I'll wrap up Kingdom of Amular and then perhaps revisit Skyrim.

keg in kc 03-15-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8456499)
I think may I missed out on a good deal of interesting content by not importing an ME2 character

Ooooh, I forgot.

Yeah, that would explain some of it. I was wondering first how you were done already and second why you were saying it seemed repetitive. Basically every returning ME2 character gets a fairly involved sidequest. A lot of the really cool moments in the game came from those quests. The only one that I didn't like was Jacob's, and that was basically because he was just as bland and pointless in 3 as he was in 2. Zaeed's didn't do a lot for me for the same reason, but Jacob's was the dog of the bunch.

I know you didn't like her, but Jack's was pretty great when you found out where she was and what she was doing. Miranda's was eventually great. Samara's was really good. Did you see Thane at all? I thought he was tied in with the main quest. Grunt's was tremendous, the first real 'oh shit' moment of the game for me.

keg in kc 03-15-2012 12:37 PM

You may be better of waiting anyway. The longer this goes on, the more I think they're going to do something to 'fix' the ending, if that hasn't been planned all along anyway.

Frazod 03-15-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8456875)
Ooooh, I forgot.

Yeah, that would explain some of it. I was wondering first how you were done already and second why you were saying it seemed repetitive. Basically every returning ME2 character gets a fairly involved sidequest. A lot of the really cool moments in the game came from those quests. The only one that I didn't like was Jacob's, and that was basically because he was just as bland and pointless in 3 as he was in 2. Zaeed's didn't do a lot for me for the same reason, but Jacob's was the dog of the bunch.

I know you didn't like her, but Jack's was pretty great when you found out where she was and what she was doing. Miranda's was eventually great. Samara's was really good. Did you see Thane at all? I thought he was tied in with the main quest. Grunt's was tremendous, the first real 'oh shit' moment of the game for me.

Yeah, I didn't get any of that, other than Jacob (yeah, he sucks) and Miranda. Jack was only mentioned once but never encountered, no mention of Samara, Zaeed or Grunt. And Theos was already dead (IIRC he was terminally ill in ME2 and would be dead in this one anyway).

In my nearly finished ME2 game, Ashley is dead (never liked her useless character, only picked her over the whiney and equally useless Carth/Kaiden character because she actually looks hot this time around), Wrex is alive, and I haven't got to the part yet where a couple of them get greased, so I'm not sure how that will pan out yet. I guess I should get busy and finish that so I can give this turd another shot - perhaps I'll enjoy it more the second time around.

keg in kc 03-15-2012 12:53 PM

Yeah, that's right. Thane was/is terminally ill. That carries over from ME2. When you have a game where he's still around, you'll find him at the hospital in pretty bad shape.

Wallcrawler 03-15-2012 02:07 PM

I saw some rumors flying around about the DLC coming for ME3, most notably from IGN.com.

First, that it will be FREE DLC, and that the current ending of the game is so bad because the true ending was leaked before it was done or something (I didnt follow ME3's production so I dont know) and that Bioware had to rush to change the ending so it wouldnt be spoiled, ending up with this pile.

The DLC coming is called "The Truth" and the singleplayer content in it is supposed to address and "fix" this horrendous frothy jar of ass that is this set of endings, showing us all what was "really" supposed to happen at the end.

:rolleyes: Not sure about that stuff, but Broken Steel did fix Fallout 3's absolutely atrocious ending, and if it doesnt cost anything Ill certainly give it a look.

People without brodband access to XBOX live however, seem to be terminally fecked until the obligatory re-release of the game that will include all DLC on the discs.

It will also contain multiple new classes for multiplayer.

I hated that the ending showed virtually zero aftermath, and had absolutely no dialogue. Youre gonna end a series with some of the characters looking up in the sky silently? LAME ASS.

keg in kc 03-15-2012 05:12 PM

I've heard the same rumor.

It makes sense in terms of how the ending seems like a departure from the game/series, and the part about doing it due to leaks could be feasible if far-fetched. It completely doesn't make sense to me, however, that a company would allow this much absolutely brutal online reaction. And I wonder how many people have returned the game at this point. I'm not sure whether a move like that would be a PR nightmare or a PR coup.

Either way I have very little problem with it if it's free. If EA charges the players money for this, to get the goddamn ending to the game, it would be one of the worst attempted money-grabs I can ever remember in gaming.

Frazod 03-18-2012 03:41 PM

I've determined that playing this game without downloading a ME2 save is almost like punishment. Playing through the second time, with the added dimension of the old characters makes the game about 200% better.

Wallcrawler 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8468730)
I've determined that playing this game without downloading a ME2 save is almost like punishment. Playing through the second time, with the added dimension of the old characters makes the game about 200% better.

Yeah, I guess Im gonna have to rent ME2 and replay it over because none of my characters will import. I played through ME3 and while the gameplay was great, the story didnt follow anything that I had done over the course of the other games.

I only ever saw a couple of the characters from previous games as well. According to the Normandy Memorial Wall, Wrex and Thane were dead. I didnt see Jack, Legion, Grunt, Samara, or Zaeed.

Playing ME3 without the ME2 import just sucks ass. I hate that they didnt give the quiz like they did in ME2 so that you could play the storyline you wanted and make sure it was right.

Hell, some of my character saves I dont remember what choices I made with them because I wanted to see all the outcomes.

Ah well. Maybe the "real" ending will be available by the time I finish playing back through 2 and get around to renting 3 again.

JBucc 03-18-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8468730)

Bioware was saying in the lead up to release that this game was a great entry point for newcomers to the series. Which is absolute horseshit. Reuniting and reaching conclusions with old characters and seeing stuff you've done play out is the reason to play this game. New players likely wouldn't have any context for most of the shit going on.

veist 03-19-2012 08:21 AM

Ultimately I think were the ending falls flat is you've gone through three games and probably have at least a half dozen characters you care fairly deeply about, have been put through the emotional wringer for the last hour or so and then the denouement is perfunctory at best. I realize they don't want to put a ton there because then they would either be stuck with it for future games or retcon it but in terms of resolution there needed to be more. People just had too much invested in the game for you to give them such an empty, sterile ending.

duncan_idaho 03-19-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8431149)
I'm about 20 hours in now. I'm guessing halfway through maybe, judging by the missions in my log (no idea really, though). It's crazy-good so far. Mordin died in the suicide mission in ME2 so I haven't seen him obviously, but virtually everybody else (from both games) has shown up in one form or another. A lot of great moments. A lot of unexpected references to ME1, like people I helped at Zhu's Hope or Feros, stuff that make me glad I'm playing a character that went through the original, and actually makes me want to play through all three of them again sometime. I was telling someone earlier it's basically like they took the best aspects of ME1 and the best aspects of ME2 and made just a hell of a game. So far.

Agreed 100 percent.

A hint, for your second playthrough... if you're having trouble getting Mordin through the suicide mission and want to ensure his survival (which, honestly, is worth it. His final scenes are incredible - some of the best of the series.), there's an easy way to do it.

When you're going through the suicide mission, you reach the point where you save some of the crew (though perky redhead Kelly Chambers always seems to disintegrate before my eyes). At that point, choose to send a member of your squad to escort the crew back to the Normandy, and send Mordin. For some reason, he randomly tends to die if left behind to "hold off the Collectors" while you travel to the core to take down the Terminator (I mean, human-form reaper).

I will admit to getting a little teary eyed with Mordin's end scene.

Frazod 03-19-2012 08:49 AM

Differences for me between importing ME2 character and playing without it:

Spoiler!

I don't know if anything different would have happened with Kaiden. I had the option to take him as a crew member or tell him to **** off, and I took the **** off option. I absolutely despise his character, just like I despised Carth in KOTOR. I really wish I'd had the option to shoot him at the Citidel (believe me, I tried), just as I wished I could have killed Carth in KOTOR (same voice actor, for those who don't know, and same whiney eternally butthurt character in both games). Don't care if this is a spoiler. Kaiden/Carth sucks. Should have saved Ashley in ME1. If she'd looked as good in ME1 as she does in ME3, I would have.

veist 03-19-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8471151)
Differences for me between importing ME2 character and playing without it:

Spoiler!

I don't know if anything different would have happened with Kaiden. I had the option to take him as a crew member or tell him to **** off, and I took the **** off option. I absolutely despise his character, just like I despised Carth in KOTOR. I really wish I'd had the option to shoot him at the Citidel (believe me, I tried), just as I wished I could have killed Carth in KOTOR (same voice actor, for those who don't know, and same whiney eternally butthurt character in both games). Don't care if this is a spoiler. Kaiden/Carth sucks. Should have saved Ashley in ME1. If she'd looked as good in ME1 as she does in ME3, I would have.

Spoiler!

Frazod 03-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8471172)
Spoiler!

I don't know - haven't got that far yet. My imported Shepard (who I'm mainly playing as a renegade) seems to have more options available than my generic Shepard did. I should get to that point this evening.

duncan_idaho 03-19-2012 09:16 AM

Re: the ending...

I would like to see more of what happened to everyone when it was over (for example, I assumed Garrus and Liara bought it in the charge to the transport beam, but then they show in the crash landing), but maybe that's left that way for future games in the world (gotta leave that open)...

I had no problems, really, with the choices presented at the end. I feel like the major payoff in all the choices Shepard made in ME1 and ME2 and the beginning of ME3 comes in how prepared you are for the final showdown (which apparently affects exactly WHAT you see after the ending).

Frazod 03-19-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8471195)
Re: the ending...

I would like to see more of what happened to everyone when it was over (for example, I assumed Garrus and Liara bought it in the charge to the transport beam, but then they show in the crash landing), but maybe that's left that way for future games in the world (gotta leave that open)...

I had no problems, really, with the choices presented at the end. I feel like the major payoff in all the choices Shepard made in ME1 and ME2 and the beginning of ME3 comes in how prepared you are for the final showdown (which apparently affects exactly WHAT you see after the ending).

The shitty ending implied that everybody died but Shepard and Anderson, but then the people that were with you show up on the Normandy. Made no sense and just served to heighten the suck factor. Even if they survived, what reason would they have to board the Normandy at all? Why would the Normandy leave the fight against the Reapers to pick them up? Horrible, shitty, stupid ending. Nuthooks and flaming AIDS tree antifreeze to whoever thought that was a good idea. :mad:

veist 03-19-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8471217)
The shitty ending implied that everybody died but Shepard and Anderson, but then the people that were with you show up on the Normandy. Made no sense and just served to heighten the suck factor. Even if they survived, what reason would they have to board the Normandy at all? Why would the Normandy leave the fight against the Reapers to pick them up? Horrible, shitty, stupid ending. Nuthooks and flaming AIDS tree antifreeze to whoever thought that was a good idea. :mad:

Yeah, that is the part where it really goes off the rails. Its impressive how bad that scene was just in terms of "lets make a bad choice and then compound it with more bad choices!" Everyone involved in writing that scene deserves some serious shaming for not having the balls to say "this is bad, we need to fix this" because its really bad no matter how you feel about the rest of the ending.

Frazod 03-19-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8471517)
Yeah, that is the part where it really goes off the rails. Its impressive how bad that scene was just in terms of "lets make a bad choice and then compound it with more bad choices!" Everyone involved in writing that scene deserves some serious shaming for not having the balls to say "this is bad, we need to fix this" because its really bad no matter how you feel about the rest of the ending.

And it's not like this is some dark indy movie - it's a ****ing video game. Shepard deserves to ride off into the sunset with Liara, live in peace and make a bunch of smurfy babies.

veist 03-19-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8471716)
And it's not like this is some dark indy movie - it's a ****ing video game. Shepard deserves to ride off into the sunset with Liara, live in peace and make a bunch of smurfy babies.

I really do not care if the end for Shep is tragedy or rainbows and unicorns so much as I want it to pick an ending type and stick with it. I mean what ultimately bothered me about that scene specifically is the most kind thing you could say about it is that its completely superfluous. Because it hedges between "surprise ending" and denouement you are stuck with a scene that really does nothing to move the narrative forward and leaves you wondering a) what you just saw, b) why it was so important that its the only thing you get by way of denouement and c) why a scene that leaves you wondering both these things managed to not be removed or improved. And really the most frustrating thing is we know they're better than that because people wouldn't be this bothered if they actually sucked this much at writing. Or from the damning it with faint praise column at least the ending wasn't as bad as the ending to Battlestar Galactica or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Frazod 03-19-2012 02:16 PM

I hated the way Battlestar Galatica ended, but it was great compared to this turd.

keg in kc 03-19-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8471217)

Part of the confusion over the ending is that, if you have enough war assets and destroy the reapers (i.e. choose the red option), Shepard wakes up. In London.

Spoiler!

So it's completely vague as to who lives, who dies, or whether the end actually happened at all.

Frazod 03-19-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8471172)
Spoiler!

Yes.

keg in kc 03-20-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8471138)
Agreed 100 percent.

A hint, for your second playthrough... if you're having trouble getting Mordin through the suicide mission and want to ensure his survival (which, honestly, is worth it. His final scenes are incredible - some of the best of the series.), there's an easy way to do it.

Mordin was dead in that play because I'd neglected to upgrade the medical bay and didn't feel like going all the way back through the suicide mission. So I just decided that would be my "Shepard lost some friends" save, since half the Normandy's crew died as well, including Chambers.

Mordin's still around on my current ME3 play, my femshep infiltrator. She's my Insanity run, at least so far. Haven't gotten to him yet, but I can imagine that the scenes with the random Salarian doctor will be much more moving with Mordin.

Frazod 03-20-2012 08:25 AM

Oh, when you go to the Asari homeworld, take the Prothean with you, and when you get back to the Normandy, be sure to swing by his location for a nice little confrontation between him and Liana.

keg in kc 03-20-2012 08:43 AM

I've somehow gone from not wanting to play the multiplayer at all the first week to being completely addicted to it.

Wyatt Earp 03-20-2012 05:07 PM

I'm really starting to buy into the indoctrination theory. This is what sold me. http://uninhibitedandunrepentant.tum...mind-holy-****

Dartgod 03-20-2012 05:09 PM

I never finished ME2. Cool game, but it got repetitive for me.

Wyatt Earp 03-20-2012 05:19 PM

Also could there be anything to my game save being put back to attacking The Illusive Man's base after finishing the game?

veist 03-21-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 8476922)
Also could there be anything to my game save being put back to attacking The Illusive Man's base after finishing the game?

Its the logical place to put it if you aren't going to do any post-game DLC because the ends make that kinda hard?

Wyatt Earp 03-21-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8480739)
Its the logical place to put it if you aren't going to do any post-game DLC because the ends make that kinda hard?

True. I wasn't even thinking about any DLC. Still hoping for something to justify that terrible ending.

keg in kc 03-21-2012 03:12 PM

There's no endgame save, so even if they do fix the ending, it's going to mean playing the last four hours over.

duncan_idaho 03-21-2012 03:16 PM

After reading some of the information out there about the
Spoiler!
theory, I think I'm a believer.

Completely changes things for me. If that's truly the way it ends, Bioware freaking blew my mind. And the writers are probably chuckling at all the people who didn't "get it" the first time.

They are famous for putting in things to reward the gamer who doesn't power-game through their games, for the person who takes time to love the experience. (IE, all the extras and their effect on the suicide mission in ME2). This theory would be the ultimate reward to the careful, observant gamer.

Of course, it's also a little uppity/snobby...

Frazod 03-21-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8481046)
There's no endgame save, so even if they do fix the ending, it's going to mean playing the last four hours over.

I've hung it up right before hitting the Illusive Man's base. I'll wait to see if they do anything to change/improve the ending or add anything else before proceeding.

keg in kc 03-21-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8481065)
After reading some of the information out there about the
Spoiler!
theory, I think I'm a believer.

Completely changes things for me. If that's truly the way it ends, Bioware freaking blew my mind. And the writers are probably chuckling at all the people who didn't "get it" the first time.

They are famous for putting in things to reward the gamer who doesn't power-game through their games, for the person who takes time to love the experience. (IE, all the extras and their effect on the suicide mission in ME2). This theory would be the ultimate reward to the careful, observant gamer.

Of course, it's also a little uppity/snobby...

The problem with that theory as you lay it out is that I'm a completionist. I finished the game with 7000+ war assets, but because I didn't do the multiplayer at the time, that left me with an effective strength of half that, still over 3500, yet I did not get the bonus clip. So for me there was no waking up. The game just ends, regardless of which choice I make after speaking to the catalyst. So I didn't (couldn't) even make the indoctrination connection until I read about it later. That little hint (if it really was a hint; I'm not convinced they planned any more of an ending than they gave) simply didn't exist in my game, despite the fact that I didn't skip anything in the singleplayer game, including playing all the way through 1 and 2 on the same character.

I assume when I finally get to that point on my second character, since I'll have 100% readiness thanks to the muliplayer, I'll get the 'full' ending including the clip in london. I might get it now if I replay from Cronus Station to the end with my original Paragon sentine.

If that's by design, then I'm a bit miffed that they made an extremely important event in the singleplayer game reliant on the tacked-on-later multiplayer component, which I originally never intended to ever play in the first place...

Either way, it's kind of sad that I couldn't get that clip on a ME2 export character even after 40+ hours of play in ME3.

I do think if the indoctrination theory was real, that we would have heard a definitive statement on it already. I think anything we get later is reactionary, and not planned. I think the ending is just a poor ending, but they left it vague enough that they might be able to fix it.

keg in kc 03-21-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8481159)
I've hung it up right before hitting the Illusive Man's base. I'll wait to see if they do anything to change/improve the ending or add anything else before proceeding.

Yeah, that's the Legacy save point, so that's exactly where you'd want to stop.

Wallcrawler 03-21-2012 08:17 PM

This guy basicly NAILS my feelings on this shitpile of endings for Mass Effect 3.

You simply CANNOT end a saga in this manner. If there were more future games, then maybe its just a dick move but the fact that there were not going to be anymore Mass Effect games just makes this a legendary "**** you fans, we're done working on this game. Its good enough."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4

keg in kc 03-21-2012 08:29 PM

There are almost certainly going to be more Mass Effect games. They won't involve Shepard, but they're going to milk that universe for all they can.

Wallcrawler 03-21-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8482125)
There are almost certainly going to be more Mass Effect games. They won't involve Shepard, but they're going to milk that universe for all they can.

Must be prequels or some crap. No Mass Relays after the end of 3 pretty much eliminates that whole space exploration thing.

keg in kc 03-22-2012 08:04 AM

Pretty nice blog commentary by Dr. Ray regarding Mass Effect 3 and the fan reaction:
Quote:

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

Posted on March 21, 2012 by darklarke

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Ray

veist 03-22-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8482156)
Must be prequels or some crap. No Mass Relays after the end of 3 pretty much eliminates that whole space exploration thing.

Nothing really but time stopping you from building more, the Protheans built the Conduit relays (one on the Citadel and the one on Ilos). And you've already got the biggest crack team of scientists and whatnot assembled for building the Crucible.

Wallcrawler 03-22-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8483395)
Nothing really but time stopping you from building more, .

Yeah, until you consider that there's no way for them to get the resources required to build new Mass Relays. Earth still isnt technologically advanced as the other species in the galaxy, and with nowhere but a completely ravaged planet Earth to gather resources from, Im not seeing any Mass Relays being completed by that crack team of Crucible scientists.

They would have to hope for some way to communicate with the other star systems, and hope that a Mass Relay could be rebuilt with the resources they have, and then gather enough resources to build another one and do a one way trip through to earth to build that one.

Meanwhile, all this time going by has the Galactic Armada trying to keep from starving to death.

Not seeing it.

Destroying the Mass Relays was probably the absolute worst part of all of the endings. Cutting the Galaxy off from every other star system out there was ridiculous, and it negates all your decisions and actions that bring the galaxy together.

duncan_idaho 03-22-2012 11:58 AM

Spoiler!

keg in kc 03-22-2012 01:14 PM

I covered most of the indoctrination theory almost two weeks ago, check post 165.

I just don't buy that it's intentional. I think they may use it in the end, but I just don't believe they would stay silent through the PR nightmare that's been the last two weeks. For the simple reason that it's costing them not only in terms of reputation, but in money. Because not everybody pre-orders and not everybody buys day 1. And (supposedly at least) people have been returning the game, and refuse to replay it. I think with the literal flood of negative reactions, they would have made a definitive statement about it (and I believe that they in fact have, in saying several times that the ending is the ending).

I think the thing with (maybe) Patrick Weekes on the Penny Arcade forums was pretty interesting, and if it was him, pretty telling. But it may well not have been him. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can read about it here. The text of the comments made by his Penny Arcade account (but maybe not him...) are spoiled below:
Spoiler!

I think the indoctrination theory is really interesting, and could result in something cool, but I'm of the belief that it's entirely coincidence, and if they do manage to salvage something from the ending, it's just dumb luck.

And if they make us PAY for the "real" ending to the game, I hope there's a shitstorm that makes the ending reaction now pale in comparison. If there is end DLC, it better damned well be free.

keg in kc 03-22-2012 01:32 PM

I should add this:

I think if we actually get end DLC in April then it was planned that way.

If end DLC is announced in April but we don't get it until months later, then it's reactionary. They may still try to say it's part of a plan at that point, but I'll never believe it.

I do think the fact that on one hand they announced well before release and in no uncertain terms that there would not be post-game DLC and on the other that there's no post-game save point indicates pretty strongly that the game ended as intended. Of course I do hope I'm wrong about that, and that this is all some super-genius swerve.

My guess is we won't even get the ending DLC first. I think we'll get the compaign to retake Omega for Aria before anything related to the end. That and whatever multiplayer component comes with it.

Frazod 03-22-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8484132)
I should add this:

I think if we actually get end DLC in April then it was planned that way.

If end DLC is announced in April but we don't get it until months later, then it's reactionary. They may still try to say it's part of a plan at that point, but I'll never believe it.

I do think the fact that on one hand they announced well before release and in no uncertain terms that there would not be post-game DLC and on the other that there's no post-game save point indicates pretty strongly that the game ended as intended. Of course I do hope I'm wrong about that, and that this is all some super-genius swerve.

My guess is we won't even get the ending DLC first. I think we'll get the compaign to retake Omega for Aria before anything related to the end. That and whatever multiplayer component comes with it.

I like the Omega idea. Is this just speculation, or have you heard something?

Aria one of my favorite characters. Seems like she'd be a great love interest for a Renegade Shepard as well. I like the little cutscene where he wakes up on the seat next to her after he's had too much to drink, and she's clearly being protective of him.

keg in kc 03-22-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8484235)
I like the Omega idea. Is this just speculation, or have you heard something?

Aria one of my favorite characters. Seems like she'd be a great love interest for a Renegade Shepard as well. I like the little cutscene where he wakes up on the seat next to her after he's had too much to drink, and she's clearly being protective of him.

It's a popular rumor. I don't think there's anything definitive yet.

veist 03-22-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8484413)
It's a popular rumor. I don't think there's anything definitive yet.

Its kind of an elephant in the room plot hook, I'm not sure why else you'd write her into the game the way they did unless its because you wanted to do a retake Omega mission.

Wyatt Earp 03-22-2012 05:46 PM

Maybe I'm giving Bioware to much credit but I'm still thinking that the indoctrination is intentional. It's been a major theme in all 3 games and to me it's one of the reapers most powerful weapons. Here is a great video about the indoctrination theory. Won't imbed it due to spoilers, in case some have not finished or even played it yet.

*Spoilers*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Third Eye 03-23-2012 02:13 PM

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. I got a late start on 3 because I was finishing up a replay of the others, so I'm a little behind.

I'm probably half-way into this one, but I haven't yet figured out how the multiplayer ties in with the campaign. I have friends who have beaten it without doing any MP and they said it didn't seem to matter, but then I've heard from others that it does make a difference. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but in my efforts to avoid spoilers, I was hoping someone could fill me in on this.

keg in kc 03-23-2012 02:31 PM

The multiplayer raises your readiness, which means more of your war assets count toward your effective military strength. I think the only real difference is that it's harder to get a certain bonus scene at the end with a lower EMS. But basically, you don't need to play the multiplayer, it just means you can complete the game with fewer assets.

For what it's worth, I avoided the multiplayer like the plague the first week, and now I play it more than the singleplayer. It's...strangely addictive.

Third Eye 03-23-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8487281)
The multiplayer raises your readiness, which means more of your war assets count toward your effective military strength. I think the only real difference is that it's harder to get a certain bonus scene at the end with a lower EMS. But basically, you don't need to play the multiplayer, it just means you can complete the game with fewer assets.

For what it's worth, I avoided the multiplayer like the plague the first week, and now I play it more than the singleplayer. It's...strangely addictive.

Sounds like I may want to give it a go then, thanks!

Kraus 03-23-2012 09:14 PM

Multiplayer is a blast with friends. Randoms not so much.

keg in kc 03-24-2012 07:32 AM

I only play it with randoms. I only run bronze, though, aside from a few random silver games. No desire to ever run gold. My luck seems to be okay, though. The only time I ever fail is if somebody bails during the match. Although I did run one of them yesterday as a duo.

Saulbadguy 03-24-2012 01:37 PM

Just beat it. Not sure what just happened.

veist 03-24-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8489329)
Just beat it. Not sure what just happened.

That is really the biggest problem with the ending, its really stuck in the worst possible way between a sudden end and denouement.