ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Any Bourbon drinkers out there? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186121)

BigOlChiefsfan 01-11-2013 10:23 AM

At one time, the Van Winkle family made W. L. Weller. In fact, most of the original Van Winkle stuff from 10-15 years ago was really topnotch barrrels of Wellers that Julian set aside when they sold off the Weller distillery. Long story short - if you'd like to get a tasty bourbon without taking out a second mortgage, the 107 Weller's or the 12 year old Weller's Reserve should be on your radar.
I buy the 12 yr Van Winkle 'Lot B' whusk when I see it - it's been a while since I've seen any. It's tasty stuff, and when I bought it the last time it was a lot cheaper than their other bourbon (much of which has been 'in the wood' longer than I really like. 10 - 12 years is about the most I usually prefer, much longer and it gets too 'oaky' for me.)
Anyway - if you're a big fan of the Van Winkle flavor profile, remember that it was probably once in a W.L. Weller barrel. The current stuff may not be coming from old barrels of Wellers, they may be making it/aging it themselves since the merger but I will give credit where it's due - if Julian let's his name go on it, it's danged good whusk.

http://oldripvanwinkle.com/products/...0yr-107-proof/

http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/wellerantique.aspx

http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/WLWeller12y.aspx

Chest Rockwell 01-11-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9305168)
The place I was at the 15 yr(?) was $24 for a shot. No thanks, but for free I'm all over it!

That's about what it used to be here, probably double that now; I've not looked at the 15 in a while. At around $12 an ounce I wouldn't consider it a ripoff, but I'm not a huge Pappy Van guy. It's good, but I don't get the sudden craze. Same with Black Maple Hill.

houstonwhodat 01-11-2013 10:55 AM

Jack Daniels with vodka shots.

Every night.

Chest Rockwell 01-11-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 9305360)
At one time, the Van Winkle family made W. L. Weller. In fact, most of the original Van Winkle stuff from 10-15 years ago was really topnotch barrrels of Wellers that Julian set aside when they sold off the Weller distillery. Long story short - if you'd like to get a tasty bourbon without taking out a second mortgage, the 107 Weller's or the 12 year old Weller's Reserve should be on your radar.
I buy the 12 yr Van Winkle 'Lot B' whusk when I see it - it's been a while since I've seen any. It's tasty stuff, and when I bought it the last time it was a lot cheaper than their other bourbon (much of which has been 'in the wood' longer than I really like. 10 - 12 years is about the most I usually prefer, much longer and it gets too 'oaky' for me.)
Anyway - if you're a big fan of the Van Winkle flavor profile, remember that it was probably once in a W.L. Weller barrel. The current stuff may not be coming from old barrels of Wellers, they may be making it/aging it themselves since the merger but I will give credit where it's due - if Julian let's his name go on it, it's danged good whusk.

http://oldripvanwinkle.com/products/...0yr-107-proof/

http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/wellerantique.aspx

http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/WLWeller12y.aspx

I don't think I knew that. I've had the PVW lot B and pound for pound I'd agree. I was much happier with it value-wise than the 23 (think it was about half the cost at the time; now I'm sure it's doubled in price here as well).

I actually had a Weller (can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was a batch from 1980) last weekend that was really, really good. I think it was around $16 an ounce, but I'd say I liked it better than I remembered liking the 23.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it I found some of that Old Ezra 7 101 you mentioned in KS in October when I was visiting. That is a GREAT value. I can't find it out here, but thanks for the tip.

Rausch 01-11-2013 11:02 AM

I'm a big fan of a frosted mug, 2 cubes, some cheap bourbon, and a bottle of IBC Cream soda...

Chest Rockwell 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9305502)
I'm a big fan of a frosted mug, 2 cubes, some cheap bourbon, and a bottle of IBC Cream soda...

I drink the occasional bourbon and ginger the same way in the summer but what I really like every so often is a bourbon root beer float.

L.A. Chieffan 01-11-2013 11:24 AM

Usually just stick with maker's, ($35 for the 1.75L at Costco)

However on news years eve I was sipping Jack Daniels single barrel the whole night and was pleasantly surprised. recommend.

The Poz 03-14-2013 08:45 AM

BOURBON BARREL GRILL WOOD

http://uncrate.com/stuff/bourbon-barrel-grill-wood/

http://uncrate.com/p/2013/03/barrel-grill-wood-xl.jpg

BourbonMan 03-20-2013 08:55 AM

Here come new whiskey flavors

Mention "flavored whiskey" to your average scotch or bourbon drinkers, and it'll likely be enough to make them jump out of their seats, find the nearest bottle of root beer vodka and crack you over the head with it.

Bourbon whiskey doesn't play that game. It's not the tarted-up top-shelf celebrity that pineapple gin and whipped cream vodka are. Centuries of tradition provide its flavor. Generations of appreciators make up its entourage.

Bourbon isn't partied with, it's contemplated and enjoyed. That said, Scientific American notes that modern, more experimental distillers are studying the wood in whiskey barrels to see just how much they can toy with bourbon's flavor.

Just about the only simple portion of a bourbon's life is when it's poured into the glass. First it has to sit in American white oak barrels that are cooked, toasted and seasoned to leach a bit of coconut flavor into the mix.

Once distilled, whiskey enters those charred oak barrels to age. Chemical interactions within the barrel gives the whiskey flavors of vanilla, caramel, spice, toast, smoke, coconut, coffee and mocha. Vapor and barometric pressure push the liquid deep inside the wood, bringing out more intense flavor notes, which makes it a really good idea to stack the barrels of the good stuff as high as you can in your multistory warehouse.

Distillers like Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, Ky., and Brown-Forman (BF.A)-owned Woodford Reserve have started messing with the chemistry within those barrels a bit to create new flavors. We're not talking about cheap gimmickry like blueberry whiskey, but enhanced notes of chocolate, nut and dark cherry that Woodford Reserve achieved by aging its 2012 "Four Wood" whiskey in maple barrels that once held fortified wine.

When both Brooklyn hipsters and heritage-minded Southerners feel like "experimenting" with whiskey, they bust out the stills and start making moonshine. But bourbon experimentation is both frowned upon and actively discouraged. Beam's (BEAM) Maker's Mark got a pass when it spiced up its Maker's 46 whiskey by putting it in French oak wine barrels. However, when the company tinkered with Maker's Mark's alcohol content in February, its followers didn't show any appreciation.

According to the Distilled Spirits Council trade association, whiskey made up a whopping 70% of the $1.5 billion in liquor the group estimates the U.S. exported in 2012. That's triple the nation's beer exports and $250 million more than its overseas wine shipments. While that supports distillers who don't want to mess with success, it has also provided Buffalo Trace with motivation to perform more than 1,500 barrel-aging experiments since 1987.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...8-df3d664d3de9

Bill Lundberg 03-20-2013 09:08 AM

Templeton is now available in KS and MO. Get some

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 09:11 AM

It may have been talked about on here, but the article above made me think of it. What does everyone think of the Beam Devil's Cut? I personally don't like it. I appreciate the idea, but I just don't think it's a particularly tasty whiskey.

Bill Lundberg 03-20-2013 09:16 AM

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 9515687)

It's such an important message, it needs to be repeated.:D

JimNasium 03-20-2013 09:57 AM

I'm surprised there's not more love for Four Roses. Their yellow label is my go-to cheap bourbon and I love the single-barrel for special occassions. I've been through most if the Kentucky distilleries and that your was easily the best.

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9515749)
I'm surprised there's not more love for Four Roses. Their yellow label is my go-to cheap bourbon and I love the single-barrel for special occassions. I've been through most if the Kentucky distilleries and that your was easily the best.

Was surprised at how much I didn't like that one. I wouldn't say I had to choke it down, but it really disagreed with my taste buds...

cardken2 03-20-2013 10:56 AM

If it ain't from Kentucky , it ain't Bourbon. Whiskey can be made anywhere, but a true Bourbon drinker worth his weight is drinking that sweet and unmistakable elixir from the Bluegrass. Kentucky does a few things right, Horses, Bats, Basketball (minus this year Wildcats team) and Bourbon.

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardken2 (Post 9515893)
If it ain't from Kentucky , it ain't Bourbon. Whiskey can be made anywhere, but a true Bourbon drinker worth his weight is drinking that sweet and unmistakable elixir from the Bluegrass. Kentucky does a few things right, Horses, Bats, Basketball (minus this year Wildcats team) and Bourbon.

Not true, though I agree in spirit:

Does Bourbon have to come from Bourbon County, Kentucky to be called Bourbon?

Before Kentucky became a state, it was part of Virginia and the eastern third of what became Kentucky was Bourbon County. This is where Bourbon got its start. Bourbon was made in numerous areas around this future home of eastern Kentucky. However, after Kentucky became a state, Bourbon County was split into 34 different counties with only one portion remaining Bourbon County. Bourbons were now being made in different counties but at least in Kentucky. Now the US Standards for Bourbon include: it must be made in the United States (note – not Kentucky), produced from a mash containing at least 51% corn and some other technical requirements. The point is if Bourbon producers follow these standards they can come from any of the 50 states and there are already Bourbons being made in Indiana and other states.

demonhero 03-20-2013 11:16 AM

I would never recommend somebody buy Four Roses. Its the worst bourbon I've tried to date.

Amnorix 03-20-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell (Post 9305533)
I drink the occasional bourbon and ginger the same way in the summer but what I really like every so often is a bourbon root beer float.

For real? I love root beer floats and like bourbon. Never thought about combining them but...

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9516038)
For real? I love root beer floats and like bourbon. Never thought about combining them but...

It seems like a horrible waste if bourbon on one hand...and yet, intriguing on the other...

Bewbies 03-20-2013 01:40 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I'm totally tying the bourbon root beer float this summer. That sounds wonderful!

kcbubb 03-20-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 4801805)
Need more suggestions so I have an excuse to sample different kinds of whiskey....

Try crown royal black. It is very different from regular crown. I prefer it on the rocks. Nothing to mix with.

Bewbies 03-20-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 9516323)
Try crown royal black. It is very different from regular crown. I prefer it on the rocks. Nothing to mix with.

This is bourbon thread dammit.

Nightfyre 03-20-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, crown black has become a staple of mine at some point in the last four years.

InChiefsHeaven 03-20-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Take off eh? This ain't no Canehdian whiskey thread ya hoser!

Nightfyre 03-20-2013 04:10 PM

Crown Black tastes remarkably like Bourbon though, as a side note.

Bewbies 03-20-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9516575)

There's no way it's as bad as regular Crown Royal.

Johnny Vegas 03-20-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9515935)
Not true, though I agree in spirit:

Does Bourbon have to come from Bourbon County, Kentucky to be called Bourbon?

Before Kentucky became a state, it was part of Virginia and the eastern third of what became Kentucky was Bourbon County. This is where Bourbon got its start. Bourbon was made in numerous areas around this future home of eastern Kentucky. However, after Kentucky became a state, Bourbon County was split into 34 different counties with only one portion remaining Bourbon County. Bourbons were now being made in different counties but at least in Kentucky. Now the US Standards for Bourbon include: it must be made in the United States (note – not Kentucky), produced from a mash containing at least 51% corn and some other technical requirements. The point is if Bourbon producers follow these standards they can come from any of the 50 states and there are already Bourbons being made in Indiana and other states.

It is absolutely true. The authentic bourbon flavor is in the Kentucky water. Its impossible to replicate unless you get water straight from Kentucky. Its the same case as any sort of beverage made from state to state. Coca Cola made in Colorado will taste different than Coca Cola made in California all because of the water that was used. Coca Cola just sells the concentrate and the bottlers, from state to state, finish the production with their water.

edit tidbit: Kentucky spring water, purified as it flows over limestone rock formations, is perfect for Bourbon distilling because it is free of minerals that affect taste. This iron-free limestone water is part of what makes Kentucky Bourbon world-renowned.

InChiefsHeaven 03-21-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

:spock: not really...

Chest Rockwell 03-23-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9516038)

Actually serious. I'm not even all that fond of floats in general, but I crave these from time to time. Usually have several a summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9516038)
It seems like a horrible waste if bourbon on one hand...and yet, intriguing on the other...

I use my mixing bourbon, not my sipping ones for these. Definitely don't go top shelf on the whiskey, but I would reccomended a quality ice cream. I prefer a vanilla bean, but ymmv.

gblowfish 03-23-2013 11:26 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2934989.html

GREENSBURG, Pa. — Fifty-two bottles of well-aged whiskey disappeared between his lips, police said, and now it's time for a western Pennsylvania man to settle up.

John Saunders, the former live-in caretaker of a Pittsburgh-area mansion, faces criminal charges for allegedly drinking more than $100,000 worth of the owner's whiskey.

Owner Patricia Hill found nine cases of whiskey hidden in the walls and stairwell of the century-old Georgian mansion built by coal and coke industrialist J.P. Brennan after she bought it in 2012. The Old Farm Pure Rye Whiskey was produced in the early 1900s by the nearby West Overton Distilling Co.

"My guess is that Mr. Brennan ordered 10 cases . pre-Prohibition," said Hill, a New Yorker who bought the house to convert it into a bed-and-breakfast. "I was told by his family that family members used to greet him at the door each day with a shot of whiskey."

Scottdale police told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review ( ) that Saunders drank dozens of bottles whiskey valued at $102,400 by a New York auction house.

Saunders, 62, of Irwin, was charged with receiving stolen property and theft. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.

Hill told police Chief Barry Pritts she stored the whiskey in the original cases, which contained 12 bottles each. After Saunders moved out, Hill said she discovered last March that the bottles in four cases were empty.

Saunders initially denied drinking the whiskey when questioned by police, but Pritts said a DNA linked him to three of the empty bottles.

A phone listing for Saunders could not immediately be located Friday.

ghak99 04-01-2013 12:19 PM

I quit drinking pop/soda a while back, and at the time I didn't realize exactly what I had done to my drinking experience. :doh!:

As a result I'm now searching for the right bourbon and this thread has been very helpful! I'm thinking I'll give Knob Creek a try next.

InChiefsHeaven 04-01-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 9546024)
I quit drinking pop/soda a while back, and at the time I didn't realize exactly what I had done to my drinking experience. :doh!:

As a result I'm now searching for the right bourbon and this thread has been very helpful! I'm thinking I'll give Knob Creek a try next.

You will not regret it, I assure you.

BigOlChiefsfan 04-05-2013 02:36 PM

I may have mentioned that my memory sucks, so if I'm said all this before - well, I"m saying it again. The folks @ Sazarac have been trading the liquor in their portfolio (basically, they sell company A a brand name w/recipe & enough reserve liquor to market until company A gets their own supply made/aged from the recipe) Long story short, they wound up owning most of my favorite bourbon brands (beside the Wild Turkey portfolio) and some of the stuff that used to be available in Kentucky, but not here in KS/MO may start showing up on your shelf. One to point out - Very Old Barton (VOB) is now a Sazerac label. This was (as you might guess) a Barton brand, but anyhoo - this was always a decent drink, and danged good for the money, per my bourbon buds who had access to it (folks in Kentucky and nearby, mostly)
So if you see a new bottle on the shelf of Very Old Barton - give it a try. They market it at 80-86-90-100 proof. For my money, 90 proof is the sweet spot.
You may never have heard of this stuff unless you're from it's old market-area, but if you see it on the shelf it may be worth a try, esp. if it's a good price while they expand.
Another 'good buy' bourbon from Sazerac, their Old Weller has another 'sweet spot' bottle to recommend. Their regular bourbon is a good buy, their 107 proof is a good hi-proof if you enjoy that sort of thing - but their 12 year old Old Weller is the stuff I tout to anyone interested. More time in the oak = smoother. The really good barrels of this stuff get set aside and marketed under fancier labels, but this one is hard to beat for the money.
One final bargain - Benchmade 8 year, an old 'cut rate' label that these folks bought, cleaned up and now sell w/a pretty decent bourbon for not a lot of cash. If you know someone who likes bourbon & coke or bourbon w/ginger ale/7 up, try this. I was impressed.

More on all their stuff here: Sazerac's great-bourbons

Mother****erJones 04-05-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Crown royal black is pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the regular Crown. My favorite is Devil's cut and Larceny.

The Poz 04-05-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9559635)
Crown royal black is pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the regular Crown. My favorite is Devil's cut and Larceny.

Devil's Cut is quite good. I have a bottle on the go.
I'll tell you guys again, go get yourself a bottle of the Eagle Rare. Not the cheapest out there but damn good.

Raiderhater 04-05-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 9559710)
I'll tell you guys again, go get yourself a bottle of the Eagle Rare. Not the cheapest out there but damn good.

Eagle Rare is tasty.

Mother****erJones 04-05-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 9559710)

Have you tried Larceny? Pretty good. Also, I bought a bottle of Jim Beam's Ghost whiskey. Not too bad.

BigOlChiefsfan 04-20-2013 07:15 PM

For those of you who like Eagle Rare - it's been around a long time in one form or another. One of the old Seagrams brands that wound up living thru that company breakup. If you're really interested, here's some discussion about it. As you'll see, it was a 'relative' of the 'Benchmark' brand that I mentioned above as a good buy. I have one of the very old Eagle Rare 101's they're talking about. I ain't sharing.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...e+rare+history

(

Raiderhater 06-08-2013 10:44 AM

I am extremely pleased to see whiskey in general and bourbon specifically making a come back. It means I'm more likely to find a better selection when I go out. However, there are down sides.

"Whiskey Woes: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare & Pappy Van Winkle Fear Shortages"

http://laist.com/2013/05/23/whiskey_...e_and_eagl.php

BigOlChiefsfan 06-10-2013 03:12 PM

The way I ride thru bourbon shortages - they happen more and more - I reserve my really good bottles for guests and contemplative occasions. I buy 'middle shelf' bourbon and rye year round on sale and 'bunker' it until I have enough to 'mingle' 4 or 5 handles of bourbon (heavy on wild turkey 101 to raise the proof) w/a fifth of rye, rebottle it and drink this as my daily pour. It works like a charm, and the average price for a fifth of this these days, w/the 1.75's of whusk bought on sale, is about $11-$12. For a good bottle of 87 or 88 proof whiskey, that ain't half bad. Don't forget to add the bottle of rye - it spices up the mix!

Stewie 06-10-2013 05:32 PM

It doesn't surprise me about a shortage of Buffalo Trace. It's a small distillery and their distribution 5-7 years ago was limited. They've expanded their footprint and it will cause shortages.

The Poz 06-10-2013 07:52 PM

Sounds intriguing. Has anyone out there given this one a go?

http://uncrate.com/assets_c/2013/06/...auto-30156.jpg
https://www.buffalotracedistillery.c...-single-barrel

"When you get to the whiskey/bourbon aisle at your local liquor store, you're accustomed to seeing plenty of the booze named for a master distiller from the past. This applies well to Elmer T. Lee, but at over 90 years old, Lee isn't just a ghost from the past, but is still giving each barrel his personal stamp of approval before bottling. He's also responsible for introducing the world's first single barrel bourbon, Blanton's Single Barrel. After helping launch other single barrel successes, Buffalo Trace gave Lee a much deserved bourbon bearing his name, and it's among the best in its price range. Elmer T. Lee Bourbon ($30) exhibits plenty of caramel and nutty tastes up front, and some nice vanilla and honey remnants on the back end. It's a nearly perfect balance of heat and sweet. If you're just getting into reasonably priced single barrel bourbons, and want to sample one of the best, reach for a bottle of this stuff."

Raiderhater 06-10-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 9741774)
The way I ride thru bourbon shortages - they happen more and more - I reserve my really good bottles for guests and contemplative occasions. I buy 'middle shelf' bourbon and rye year round on sale and 'bunker' it until I have enough to 'mingle' 4 or 5 handles of bourbon (heavy on wild turkey 101 to raise the proof) w/a fifth of rye, rebottle it and drink this as my daily pour. It works like a charm, and the average price for a fifth of this these days, w/the 1.75's of whusk bought on sale, is about $11-$12. For a good bottle of 87 or 88 proof whiskey, that ain't half bad. Don't forget to add the bottle of rye - it spices up the mix!

Soooo, you are turning bourbon into a blended whiskey, so to speak? :spock:

The Poz 09-05-2013 09:45 PM

Gotta keep an eye open for this one.

BUFFALO TRACE STAGG JR. BOURBON
http://uncrate.com/stuff/buffalo-tra...gg-jr-bourbon/

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/co...7/Stagg-Jr.jpg

Bewbies 09-05-2013 09:50 PM

I never see shortages here in Atlanta, we must get a lot more shipped this way than you do up north?

Raiderhater 09-05-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 9943071)

I will have to keep my eyes open for that. Sounds interesting.

Chest Rockwell 09-06-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poz (Post 9742560)
Sounds intriguing. Has anyone out there given this one a go?

http://uncrate.com/assets_c/2013/06/...auto-30156.jpg
https://www.buffalotracedistillery.c...-single-barrel

"When you get to the whiskey/bourbon aisle at your local liquor store, you're accustomed to seeing plenty of the booze named for a master distiller from the past. This applies well to Elmer T. Lee, but at over 90 years old, Lee isn't just a ghost from the past, but is still giving each barrel his personal stamp of approval before bottling. He's also responsible for introducing the world's first single barrel bourbon, Blanton's Single Barrel. After helping launch other single barrel successes, Buffalo Trace gave Lee a much deserved bourbon bearing his name, and it's among the best in its price range. Elmer T. Lee Bourbon ($30) exhibits plenty of caramel and nutty tastes up front, and some nice vanilla and honey remnants on the back end. It's a nearly perfect balance of heat and sweet. If you're just getting into reasonably priced single barrel bourbons, and want to sample one of the best, reach for a bottle of this stuff."

It's good, but I prefer others at (or below) that price point. Personal taste, so ymmv.

The Poz 10-01-2013 12:30 PM

Mistakes aren't always a bad thing.

"Accidents can be costly, especially in the bourbon business. So when Wild Turkey realized they had mistakenly blended small batch bourbon with high proof whiskey, people were worried. But then the Master Distiller tasted the accidental blend and declared it worthy of bottling, and a mishap turned into Wild Turkey Forgiven ($50). Forgiven clocks in at 91 proof and makes no apologies, accident or not. It has a spicy, bold taste that finishes unlike most drinks in its category. All is Forgiven, so track down a bottle because this one time foul up isn't likely to be duplicated."

http://uncrate.com/stuff/wild-turkey-forgiven-bourbon/

http://uncrate.com/p/2013/10/wild-tu...orgiven-xl.jpg

Arrowhead Thunder 10-01-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9515749)

My grandparents did the bourbon trail tours this spring. They took tons of pictures and gave the family a virtual tour when they got home. I was surprised how interesting it was.

demonhero 10-01-2013 03:04 PM

sorry, four roses is cheap and distinguishing.

InChiefsHeaven 10-02-2013 08:34 AM

Tried 4 Roses once, and it was hands down the worst bourbon I've ever had...besides like Early Times. Very disappointing.

Arrowhead Thunder 10-02-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 10040263)
Tried 4 Roses once, and it was hands down the worst bourbon I've ever had...besides like Early Times. Very disappointing.

It has to be better than well bourbon. Old Crow, Ten High, etc. I don't even know how I used to drink that s.

InChiefsHeaven 10-02-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowhead Thunder (Post 10040276)
It has to be better than well bourbon. Old Crow, Ten High, etc. I don't even know how I used to drink that s.

Agreed. But for the price point, Evan Williams all day long.

That other rot gut shit is basically Must Mix bourbon...you can't drink that drano straight...

I was at a wedding a couple weeks ago, a very nice one, with an open bar. Should have known. The well whiskey was Early Times. Needless to say, I ordered it with Coke...

Arrowhead Thunder 10-02-2013 11:18 AM

jimmy b - old stand by. Knob creek if you're buying.

InChiefsHeaven 10-02-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowhead Thunder (Post 10040685)
jimmy b - old stand by. Knob creek if you're buying.

Hell to the yeah on Knob Creek. I still think Evan is better than Jimmy B.

Johnny Vegas 05-26-2014 06:01 PM

I enjoyed these two yesterday. I'm in love with this bourbon.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...psd606ddae.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...psc92e58d4.jpg

bdj23 05-26-2014 06:09 PM

Templeton Rye.

Reaper16 05-26-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 10652001)

You son of a bitch.

bdj23 05-26-2014 06:11 PM

I've had the 20, although just a taste.

It's a damn fine whiskey.

Johnny Vegas 05-26-2014 06:31 PM

I love its smoothness and warmth. goes down without a bite and the flavor just lingers. hard to compromise on buying a bottle of Pappy but I'll enjoy an oz of it on a special occasion.

lewdog 05-26-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 10652001)

Love that glass man!

:thumb:

ChiTown 05-26-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10652016)
Templeton Rye.

That's a mainstay in my liquor cabinet

penguinz 05-26-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10652016)
Templeton Rye.

That isn't bourbon! ;)

Hoover 05-26-2014 08:29 PM

Drinking some Templeton Rye as we speak.

It's the one thing I can keep stocked. The old man drinks all my other stuff when he visits. He just hasn't tried it yet!

TimeForWasp 05-26-2014 08:32 PM

Any kind of whiskey for me.

Pablo 05-26-2014 08:34 PM

Killing off a handle of Jimmy Beam with some Diet Ginger Ale.

Then I'll go buy myself some decent whiskey.

The price was right at $19/handle, but I am really, really sick of this stuff.

Mother****erJones 05-26-2014 08:36 PM

Bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve. Pretty good.

bdj23 05-26-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10652328)
That isn't bourbon! ;)

I know.. But it's so good I had to recommend it.

My go to bourbon is Makers Mark

Mother****erJones 05-26-2014 08:38 PM

Also got Jim beam devils cut. Phenomenal

BigRedChief 05-26-2014 09:45 PM

Makers Mark is good enough for me. Frazod turned me onto this. Love it.
http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/ima...ducts/1524.gif

In58men 05-26-2014 09:49 PM

I'm not a fan of hard liquor and for some reason my brother got the bright idea I should try some Bookers while in Vegas. It's around $28 for a shot (a sipper shot). This was by far the worst thing I have tasted since Ice Cream bread.

Is Bookers considered a good bourbon? It was god awful.

Mother****erJones 05-26-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10652607)
I'm not a fan of hard liquor and for some reason my brother got the bright idea I should try some Bookers while in Vegas. It's around $28 for a shot (a sipper shot). This was by far the worst thing I have tasted since Ice Cream bread.

Had a bottle. Awesome.

Johnny Vegas 05-27-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Bookers is awesome I have a bottle of it. If you're looking for an uncut single barrel bourbon Bookers is it. Expect a bite and really its for the more hardcore bourbon drinkers because they want that uncut bourbon. Wasn't meant to be for everyone. Also a 750mL bottle is $60. I wonder if you had the anniversary version at $28 a shot. Which should've been even better tasting.

InChiefsHeaven 05-27-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Bookers is fantastic. Not sure what you are looking for.

It's not 28$ shot fantastic, but it's a great bourbon.

penguinz 05-27-2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10652411)
I know.. But it's so good I had to recommend it.

My go to bourbon is Makers Mark

At about the same price point as makers you should give woodford reserve a try.

Dayze 05-27-2014 08:24 AM

Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Basil Haydens
Woodford Reserve

those are the few off the top of my head that stood out to me

ChiTown 05-27-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10652924)
Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Basil Haydens
Woodford Reserve

those are the few off the top of my head that stood out to me

You know, for as much Bourbon as I drink, I still haven't bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I will take care of that problem tonight.

By the way, love the other two on your list. They are in my liquor cabinet as well. Woodford is one of the smoothest tasting Bourbon's I drink.

bdj23 05-27-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10652848)
At about the same price point as makers you should give woodford reserve a try.

I've heard that it is good stuff

Dayze 05-27-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10652940)
You know, for as much Bourbon as I drink, I still haven't bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I will take care of that problem tonight.

By the way, love the other two on your list. They are in my liquor cabinet as well. Woodford is one of the smoothest tasting Bourbon's I drink.

Blanton's is outstanding; at least the 3 or 4 times I've dabbled.

Woodford is a can't lose.