ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Welp. Looks like we need a RB. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319187)

htismaqe 01-31-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14083396)
Mark Ingram was on starter money too, Saints still drafted Kamara and also had Peterson on the roster as well. Damien Williams is decent and should be part of a rotation with a young stud RB imo. Copying NO with the one-two punch they have would take our offense to a different level as having a dangerous run game would mean hell for the opposition because they really couldn't defend us no matter what they do. We've got to learn from the two first halves against the Pats, those were the only reasons why we lost both times.

The Chiefs drafted their rotational back last year. The also have Spencer Ware.

RB is NOT a need.

jonzie04 01-31-2019 02:58 PM

I’d love to have Bryce love in the second. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles. He’s gonna be a stud. I would have drafted him in the first pre injury.

Buehler445 01-31-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14083376)
We should just sign Tevin Coleman.

Any idea the money he’d need?

DJ's left nut 01-31-2019 04:01 PM

For the record, Ty Johnson looked awfully good in the Shrine Game.

That's still my guy provided that he doesn't work himself into the early rounds. It would really depend on the board (as all things) but I really think he could slide into the 5th and he'd be a perfect fit, IMO.

He may be a little too much like Damien Williams for some people's tastes but I think he can be an awfully solid back in this system.

Chris Meck 01-31-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14083161)
Yes, because Williams is obviously on Todd Gurley money, right? ROFL

you don't need a RB to be on Todd Gurley money.

Chris Meck 01-31-2019 04:09 PM

I'd love to have ISIAH JONES IN THE 2ND. HE REMINDS ME OF WALTER PAYTON. OR JIMMY JENKINS IN THE THIRD. HE REMINDS ME OF ERIC DICKERSON.

and man, both of them HAVE A LITTLE KAREEM HUNT THANG GOING ON.

Frosty 01-31-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 14083608)
I’d love to have Bryce love in the second. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles. He’s gonna be a stud. I would have drafted him in the first pre injury.

Love is constantly broken. No way I would want to rely on him for anything.

UChieffyBugger 01-31-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14083477)
The Chiefs drafted their rotational back last year. The also have Spencer Ware.

RB is NOT a need.

Which "rotational back" did the Chiefs "draft" last year? :hmmm: Also SPENCER WARE IS A FREE AGENT!!!.

So WE will ONLY have TWO rb's ON the ROSTER, one BEING a UDFA with LITTLE experience.

htismaqe 01-31-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14083865)
Which "rotational back" did the Chiefs "draft" last year? :hmmm: Also SPENCER WARE IS A FREE AGENT!!!.

So WE will ONLY have TWO rb's ON the ROSTER, one BEING a UDFA with LITTLE experience.

My bad, he was a "UDFA" he wasn't "drafted". RBs can be picked up from literally ANYWHERE.

If you want one that bad, take one on the last day of the draft. Sign 2 or 3 in free agency.

Stop being dumb.

jonzie04 01-31-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 14083862)
Love is constantly broken. No way I would want to rely on him for anything.

That’s fair, and is certainly a valid concern, but man, that kid is incredible when he’s heathy.

RealSNR 02-02-2019 02:08 PM

CJ Spiller is still available...

O.city 02-10-2019 11:40 AM

So I think someone in this thread brought him up but David Montgomery looks a lot like a kareem Hunt shoe back

O.city 02-14-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14100116)
So I think someone in this thread brought him up but David Montgomery looks a lot like a kareem Hunt shoe back

Yeah, if Montgomery is there with one of our seconds, go ahead and burn it.

Dude looks like shady mccoy

htismaqe 02-14-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14106088)
Yeah, if Montgomery is there with one of our seconds, go ahead and burn it.

Dude looks like shady mccoy

He'll probably still be there in the 3rd unless he explodes at the combine or something...

O.city 02-14-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106109)
He'll probably still be there in the 3rd unless he explodes at the combine or something...

That would be awesome. With this RB class I doubt he lasts that long, but shit he's really good.

He'd be ideal here with Andy's offense.

Chief Northman 02-14-2019 09:39 PM

If RB is targeted by the Chiefs within the first three rounds, I’m happy with one of Jacobs, Singletary, Montgomery or Holyfield.

kcbubb 02-17-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14038588)
Damien being a viable starter makes me really intrigued by Rodney Anderson.

If I need Rodney Anderson to take 250 touches, I'm not getting anywhere near him. But if I can draft Anderson with a 3rd day pick and give him 10 touches/gm to try to keep him healthy....hoooooboy, I'd be hard pressed to ignore the talent at that point.

Rodney Anderson may be the most talented RB in the draft but that health history is just horrifying. If you can take him late and not NEED him...that may just be the perfect situation for him.

This... plus this kid Can catch the ball! Can you imagine him shredding the open field with defenses covering our deep threats? Short passes that will be tds...

https://youtu.be/w69Zu_ehTGM

duncan_idaho 02-20-2019 08:37 PM

I’m still intrigued by Bryce love. Not sure how high his stock gets coming off that injury, but if he’s there are the end of the 2nd for KC I think it’s worth considering him.

kcbubb 02-20-2019 10:31 PM

I also like Benny snell in the third. I’m guessing he will go early third. He’d probably be a good value there.

Chief Northman 02-20-2019 10:57 PM

I’m actually baffled regarding whether the Chiefs go speed/finesse or look for a power back? Is Darrel Williams a guy who can fill the power role? Damien likely becomes the starter and has a good blend of speed/power/pass catching ability, but he is not a feature back.

htismaqe 02-20-2019 11:11 PM

If they spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a running back they're stupid.

Buehler445 02-21-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117171)
If they spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a running back they're stupid.

I agree.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 07:08 AM

I disagree. A good rb would take this offense to an even higher level. For all the great things our O did last season, keeping the ball and taking time off the clock was not something it was good at and we need to address that by getting a back that can frustrate the opposition and get those extra yards.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117238)
I disagree. A good rb would take this offense to an even higher level. For all the great things our O did last season, keeping the ball and taking time off the clock was not something it was good at and we need to address that by getting a back that can frustrate the opposition and get those extra yards.

If you're disagreeing with me, that makes me even more sure I'm right.

O.city 02-21-2019 09:53 AM

You aren't taking the offense to a higher level by taking the ball out of the MVP's hands MORE.

If you want to increase the offense, get another TE or a WR or a pass catching RB.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14117448)
You aren't taking the offense to a higher level by taking the ball out of the MVP's hands MORE.

If you want to increase the offense, get another TE or a WR or a pass catching RB.

Somebody did a great analysis of how much worse Fournette being active made the Jags offense and the reason was the Jags compulsion to get 'value' from their high draft pick; it made them more predictable.

Now take that same problem and exacerbate it by taking the ball away from Mahomes instead of Bortles.

Using a premium pick on a RB is a terrible idea. It could very easily make this team actively worse.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117473)
Somebody did a great analysis of how much worse Fournette being active made the Jags offense and the reason was the Jags compulsion to get 'value' from their high draft pick; it made them more predictable.

Now take that same problem and exacerbate it by taking the ball away from Mahomes instead of Bortles.

Using a premium pick on a RB is a terrible idea. It could very easily make this team actively worse.

Good post.

Not only could it make it worse, there's zero chance it makes it better. The Chiefs HAD that kind of RB in Kareem Hunt and it didn't make a difference. The offense was just as good without him as it was with. People plug their ears and say "na na na" but that's just pure denial. Objectively, the offense was the same without Hunt.

King_Chief_Fan 02-21-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117238)

The last few games, Williams proved he can do just that. Another one might land in the lap as well, but I don't think the Chiefs are targeting one

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117305)
If you're disagreeing with me, that makes me even more sure I'm right.

Well I hope you don't agree with me if I tell you you know what you're talking about :D .

A good RB is still needed to keep this offense at an elite level, fullstop. If folks didn't notice the impact that Hunt leaving had on the team then I don't know what to tell you. The Pats could never have shut out Tyreek and Travis on the field IF Kareem was there. Williams is decent, not elite.

Chief Northman 02-21-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117473)

I don’t disagree, but the presence of D & D Williams allow the Chiefs to not have to invest early for a “bellcow” type. I think a complementary back will be added later in the draft that can act as a change of pace and be able to catch the ball out of the backfield.

I’m intrigued by Trayveon Williams. Natural pass catcher, excellent in the screen game, and a competent IZ/OZ runner. Reminds me of a slightly bigger Darren Sproles. He’s probably available in the 5th round....

O.city 02-21-2019 10:43 AM

The Chiefs are built around the QB now. If they have a RB that's not blind and is decently fast and can catch, they can make due.

If they have an elite RB fall into their lap, sure take one. But don't expand a lot for it.

Pass rushers, Corners, Pass catchers.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 10:53 AM

There's so many decent backs available it's ridiculous.

Wes Hills= intrigues me the most with his size and speed.

Elijah Holyfield= Packs a punch like his father. His running style reminds me of Elliot tbh

Byce Love= Pure speed

Benny Snell= The numbers he's put up are staggering

Dexter Williams= A late riser but seems to do most things well

LJ Scott= Like I mentioned earlier In this thread the kid has La'Veon Bell traits to him.

Jordan Scarlett= Could be the gem of this class If he lands at the right place

Darrel Henderson= Looks like a slightly smaller Kareem Hunt to me

Rodney Anderson= I think he is the one for us but Veach would have to be sure he can stay healthy. Being part of a rotation with the Williams would do him good imo because his talent is not in doubt.

Alexander Mattison= Another young gem In the making

I think Jacobs, Montgomery, Harris and maybe Justice Hill will be taken before we consider a RB tbh. Hell even Bryce Love could be gone by then too.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14117541)
I don’t disagree, but the presence of D & D Williams allow the Chiefs to not have to invest early for a “bellcow” type. I think a complementary back will be added later in the draft that can act as a change of pace and be able to catch the ball out of the backfield.

I’m intrigued by Trayveon Williams. Natural pass catcher, excellent in the screen game, and a competent IZ/OZ runner. Reminds me of a slightly bigger Darren Sproles. He’s probably available in the 5th round....

I still think this is a perfect spot to take a gamble on Rodney Anderson late. If the pick busts, who cares? If it doesn't and you can get even a few healthy games or several as a rotational back, Anderson is as talented as any RB in this draft.

It's incredibly stupid to compare him to Fred Taylor because Taylor was a HoF caliber back, but Taylor also had a lot of injury concerns pretty much his whole career and early on, when the Jags needed him healthy, he oftentimes wasn't and it really hurt them when he'd go down.

Later in his career, when MJD got there, they could use him in a rotation with Jones-Drew and it really helped prolong his career and it gave the Jags the depth they needed to keep gambling on Taylor's talent.

Closer to home, you had Okoye and Barry Word. Okoye's style was just so punishing that you knew he'd miss several games every year. That's a hard guy to build around on his own but when you have Barry Word available to back him up, you can sleep comfortably knowing that you can use Okoye to his fullest extent and when he inevitably goes down for a bit, you have a valuable, productive back right behind him.

You can't draft Rodney Anderson expecting him to be your primary ballcarrier for 16 games, but you can take him and hope that he gives you 150 dynamic carries with Williams and Williams in reserve to carry the load when he can't go. And if his career is shorter than most because his injury history - who cares? He's a RB - churn and burn baby.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117599)
I still think this is a perfect spot to take a gamble on Rodney Anderson late. If the pick busts, who cares? If it doesn't and you can get even a few healthy games or several as a rotational back, Anderson is as talented as any RB in this draft.

It's incredibly stupid to compare him to Fred Taylor because Taylor was a HoF caliber back, but Taylor also had a lot of injury concerns pretty much his whole career and early on, when the Jags needed him healthy, he oftentimes wasn't and it really hurt them when he'd go down.

Later in his career, when MJD got there, they could use him in a rotation with Jones-Drew and it really helped prolong his career and it gave the Jags the depth they needed to keep gambling on Taylor's talent.

Closer to home, you had Okoye and Barry Word. Okoye's style was just so punishing that you knew he'd miss several games every year. That's a hard guy to build around on his own but when you have Barry Word available to back him up, you can sleep comfortably knowing that you can use Okoye to his fullest extent and when he inevitably goes down for a bit, you have a valuable, productive back right behind him.

You can't draft Rodney Anderson expecting him to be your primary ballcarrier for 16 games, but you can take him and hope that he gives you 150 dynamic carries with Williams and Williams in reserve to carry the load when he can't go. And if his career is shorter than most because his injury history - who cares? He's a RB - churn and burn baby.

Like I said above, I fully expect/Hope that Anderson falls to us because other teams won't want to take a risk on a back that could go down at any time. So with us he'd have the ability to be a rotational back with the Williams bros and could slowly develop whilst not taking too much punishment. Then if he proves his fitness over the entire season then he can get more and more snaps the year after.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117530)
Well I hope you don't agree with me if I tell you you know what you're talking about :D .

A good RB is still needed to keep this offense at an elite level, fullstop. If folks didn't notice the impact that Hunt leaving had on the team then I don't know what to tell you. The Pats could never have shut out Tyreek and Travis on the field IF Kareem was there. Williams is decent, not elite.

You obviously didn't watch the AFCCG, when Williams has a GREAT game.

There was no drop-off in the offense after Hunt went out. The offense changed a bit but it was still every bit as good.

It's not 1995 anymore.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117656)
You obviously didn't watch the AFCCG, when Williams has a GREAT game.

There was no drop-off in the offense after Hunt went out. The offense changed a bit but it was still every bit as good.

It's not 1995 anymore.

Williams was catching the ball out of the backfield, BIG DEAL. We need a back that is gonna run between the tackles and gain big yards like Kareem did imo. Because there's gonna be times when we won't be able to just rely on Pat's arm. And when that happens a top class run game is what can get you over the line.

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117674)
Williams was catching the ball out of the backfield, BIG DEAL. We need a back that is gonna run between the tackles and gain big yards like Kareem did imo. Because there's gonna be times when we won't be able to just rely on Pat's arm. And when that happens a top class run game is what can get you over the line.

He produced at the same statistical level as Hunt.

You guys need to get off this train. We're not in need at the position.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

How many times did Kareem actually do what you're suggesting? You might want to go back and watch the games and look at Andy's play calling.

Furthermore, in the 2nd half when it really mattered, Williams had 16 yards on just 3 rushes. He can't help it he didn't get more touches.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Damien is stronger between the tackles than he gets credit for. He's very shifty and can avoid straight on contact better than I expected. He also had several runs where he ended the carry by delivering a blow rather than receiving one. He had at least a couple of goalline carries where he flat knocked a defender back into the end zone.

I was very surprised by Williams' power. He's not Jerome Bettis by any means, he's not even Kareem Hunt, but he's no wilting daisy out there either. He's not Chris Johnson looking to avoid contact. He's not going to seek contact but if he sees someone between where he is and where he needs to be, he'll absolutely try to power through them and had some success there.

He's a solid back. You give him 200 carries and he'll approach 1,000 yards. If he's the starter for the whole season I think you get probably 225 carries for 1,050 yards to go with another 45-50 catches for 400-450 yards. Probably mix about 12-14 total scores in there.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14117700)

People are forgetting that Hunt made a lot of his big plays in the passing game, JUST LIKE WILLIAMS.

Selective memory. Nostalgia. Grass is always greener. Call it what you want, it's still fantasy.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117708)
How many times did Kareem actually do what you're suggesting? You might want to go back and watch the games and look at Andy's play calling.

Furthermore, in the 2nd half when it really mattered, Williams had 16 yards on just 3 rushes. He can't help it he didn't get more touches.

Denver twice? Patriots?

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14117700)

Nope, I'm staying on this "train" as long as the likes of Seattle and The Ravens have a better run game than we do thank you very much.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117708)

Gotta be fair here - it mattered a TON in the first half when that offense was wetting the bed and his 7 carries for 14 yards was a part of that.

That said - we were getting blown off the line in that half and I'm not sure Hunt or Walter Payton would've made much of a difference.

This just isn't ever going to be a power football team and it shouldn't be. We don't have a need for a guy who's going to line up in the I Formation, put his head behind his FB and drive a pile forward. What is most effective for this offense is balance and a willingness to finish runs.

That's why Hunt was so good for us. It wasn't because he could take a play with 9 guys in the box, put his head down and just run through dudes. It was because he had the balance to slip through small seams, get his feet churning, keep the play going and then finish the run for another couple of yards when he got into the defensive backfield. Well Williams does a lot of that well also. He doesn't have Hunt's balance but Hunt's balance was a lot like Charles - just freakishly good. His is good though.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117723)
Nope, I'm staying on this "train" as long as the likes of Seattle and The Ravens have a better run game than we do thank you very much.

Two teams that are clearly inferior to the Chiefs. Admit it, you're a Martyball lover.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117732)
Gotta be fair here - it mattered a TON in the first half when that offense was wetting the bed and his 7 carries for 14 yards was a part of that.

That said - we were getting blown off the line in that half and I'm not sure Hunt or Walter Payton would've made much of a difference.

This just isn't ever going to be a power football team and it shouldn't be. We don't have a need for a guy who's going to line up in the I Formation, put his head behind his FB and drive a pile forward. What is most effective for this offense is balance and a willingness to finish runs.

That's why Hunt was so good for us. It wasn't because he could take a play with 9 guys in the box, put his head down and just run through dudes. It was because he had the balance to slip through small seams, get his feet churning, keep the play going and then finish the run for another couple of yards when he got into the defensive backfield. Well Williams does a lot of that well also. He doesn't have Hunt's balance but Hunt's balance was a lot like Charles - just freakishly good. His is good though.

Yeah, the first half was bad but the offensive line was completely overmatched. Hunt wasn't winning in those situations either. The line was awful.

I'm not saying Hunt wasn't good. I'm saying Damien Williams is good enough. People act like losing Hunt was catastrophic and it simply wasn't. Not shoring up the secondary at the trade deadline was the catastrophic mistake they made and ultimately what cost them. What happened with Hunt ended up being irrelevant.

O.city 02-21-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117732)

How good would Charles be in this current offense? My lord.

Or Kamara...…..:shake:

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Seattle's rush efficiency was well below ours. A more prolific running game doesn't not mean a more proficient one. They simply ran the ball more often.

They're a perfect example of exactly what we should NOT be doing. Russell Wilson was better than he'd ever been last year. He was very possibly the 2nd best QB in football but had one of the lowest usage rates of all NFL passers. The Seahawks kept taking the ball out of his hands and giving it to a set of RBs that just weren't all that great.

The Seahawks offense was significantly more effective and efficient when they were allowing Wilson to move the ball. Their loss to the Cowboys in the playoffs was precisely because they stubbornly and dogmatically committed to a running game that just was not working. Had they simply gone into that game and let Wilson throw the ball around, they'd have won going away.

The fact that you are citing the Seahawks is perfectly demonstrative of the flaw in your thinking. You see them as a team to be emulated when in fact, they're pretty much a textbook example of the worst possible way to utilize our offensive personnel.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14117746)
How good would Charles be in this current offense? My lord.

Or Kamara...…..:shake:

You know Kamara is a touchy subject with me, sir. Yet you keep mentioning him.

It's not very gentlemanly of you.

O.city 02-21-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117756)
You know Kamara is a touchy subject with me, sir. Yet you keep mentioning him.

It's not very gentlemanly of you.

Yeah, it's upsetting.

But that's what they need. Williams is a great pass catching guy. Everyone is going to want them to look for a big bruiser. **** that. Give me another Williams.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14117751)
Seattle's rush efficiency was well below ours. A more prolific running game doesn't not mean a more proficient one. They simply ran the ball more often.

They're a perfect example of exactly what we should NOT be doing. Russell Wilson was better than he'd ever been last year. He was very possibly the 2nd best QB in football but had one of the lowest usage rates of all NFL passers. The Seahawks kept taking the ball out of his hands and giving it to a set of RBs that just weren't all that great.

The Seahawks offense was significantly more effective and efficient when they were allowing Wilson to move the ball. Their loss to the Cowboys in the playoffs was precisely because they stubbornly and dogmatically committed to a running game that just was not working. Had they simply gone into that game and let Wilson throw the ball around, they'd have won going away.

The fact that you are citing the Seahawks is perfectly demonstrative of the flaw in your thinking. You see them as a team to be emulated when in fact, they're pretty much a textbook example of the worst possible way to utilize our offensive personnel.

The teams I mentioned were statistically two of the best running teams In the league were they not? And didn't they dominate TIME OF POSSESSION? And you think that's a bad thing for this offense? ROFL

Ever heard of the word DIVERSITY? if not I'd urge you to look it up.

duncan_idaho 02-21-2019 12:14 PM

I’m not in the “Chiefs must draft a RB high” camp. I don’t want them to change the offense to be more run heavy.

I do think it’s interesting to keep an eye on value.

I do wonder if the Patriots - and other teams - have a tougher time slowing down the Chiefs o like we’d see for a half at a time if the Chiefs add another “must be accounted for” player to the offense.

That’s why Jacobs intrigued before his stock blew up. It’s why Love intrigues me now. Love’s breakaway speed, if you can get him at the end of the third or by moving into the 4th, could be really interesting.

I like Damien Williams a bunch. I prioritize upgrading CB and LB and S over upgrading at RB.

If they’re going to spend one of their first 3/4 picks on an offensive player, a big-play threat at RB or WR seems like the spot.

O.city 02-21-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14117831)
I’m not in the “Chiefs must draft a RB high” camp. I don’t want them to change the offense to be more run heavy.

I do wonder if the Patriots - and other teams - have a tougher time slowing down the Chiefs o like we’d see for a half at a time if the Chiefs add another “must be accounted for” player to the offense.

That’s why Jacobs intrigued before his stock blew up. It’s why Love intrigues me now. Love’s breakaway speed, if you can get him at the end of the third or by moving into the 4th, could be really interesting.

I like Damien Williams a bunch. I prioritize upgrading CB and LB and S over upgrading at RB.

If they’re going to spend one of their first 3/4 picks on an offensive player, a big-play threat at RB or WR seems like the spot.

I'd probably rather go TE than RB, but I get your thought process and like it.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117796)
The teams I mentioned were statistically two of the best running teams In the league were they not? And didn't they dominate TIME OF POSSESSION? And you think that's a bad thing for this offense? ROFL

Did you just mention the Ravens and Seahawks and then say "diversity"?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

htismaqe 02-21-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14117831)

If they're going to spend a 1, 2, or 3 on offense, it needs to be OL or TE. If they think they need a RB, rd 4 and after is a better place to get one. This team needs defense in a bad way.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117843)
Did you just mention the Ravens and Seahawks and then say "diversity"?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Er NO, I meant adding a real run game to our offense that can run the ball down the oppositions throats and keep their offense off the field when we need to. No-one can argue that we have that right now.

Chief Northman 02-21-2019 12:42 PM

I think it is a false narrative that the Chiefs need to draft all defense/defense heavy. Hill and Mahomes are about to get expensive. Morse may be allowed to hit FA. Watkins becomes a cut candidate in 2020. I do not think RB is as critical as receiver/OL/TE depth moving forward.

I was sour on the FA Tight End class, but there could be cheap potential upgrades to Harris:

Jesse James
Tyler Kroft
C.J. Uzomah
Jeff Heuerman

- The Cincy TE’s are intriguing. Uzomah is coming off a career year which will spike his salary, but Kroft put up impressive numbers in 2017 prior to his foot injury this season where he only played in 5 games. I think the Chiefs could land one of these guys for as cheap as they had Harris with more potential production (all have superior catch rates).

htismaqe 02-21-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117895)
Er NO, I meant adding a real run game to our offense that can run the ball down the oppositions throats and keep their offense off the field when we need to. No-one can argue that we have that right now.

We didn't have that WITH Kareem Hunt. This has always been a pass-first team. Hunt had more than 20 carries like 4 times in the last 2 years.

You live in fantasy land.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14117796)

The teams you mentioned were among the most likely teams in the league to run the football. They were not the teams in the league that ran it best. The Chiefs were actually one of the 5 most efficient rushing teams in the league. The Seahawks were ranked behind them and the Ravens were actually considered a below average rushing team in terms of efficiency and to even get there they had to expose their QB to a slew of hits. They aren't even remotely comparable to whatever point it is you're trying to make.

The Chiefs can presently run the ball BETTER than both the Ravens and Seahawks and it's not even particularly close. They simply elected to run the ball less often because they have a better QB and a smarter coaching staff than both of those squads.

The irony of you citing variety and then using 2 of the least flexible teams in football to make your point shouldn't be lost on you.

Neither of the teams you're referencing are teams that are better at running the football than the Chiefs. Neither of them have a better runningback than the Chiefs. They're just teams that are more committed to running than the Chiefs. As a consequence their offenses were significantly worse as was their record.

Trying to dumb down this offense to fit some 'blueprint' established by the Ravens and Seahawks is the height of stupidity.

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118066)
The teams you mentioned were among the most likely teams in the league to run the football. They were not the teams in the league that ran it best. The Chiefs were actually one of the 5 most efficient rushing teams in the league. The Seahawks were ranked behind them and the Ravens were actually considered a below average rushing team in terms of efficiency and to even get there they had to expose their QB to a slew of hits. They aren't even remotely comparable to whatever point it is you're trying to make.

The Chiefs can presently run the ball BETTER than both the Ravens and Seahawks and it's not even particularly close. They simply elected to run the ball less often because they have a better QB and a smarter coaching staff than both of those squads.

The irony of you citing variety and then using 2 of the least flexible teams in football to make your point shouldn't be lost on you.

Neither of the teams you're referencing are teams that are better at running the football than the Chiefs. Neither of them have a better runningback than the Chiefs. They're just teams that are more committed to running than the Chiefs. As a consequence their offenses were significantly worse as was their record.

Trying to dumb down this offense to fit some 'blueprint' established by the Ravens and Seahawks is the height of stupidity.

THIS

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

If you honestly think that Seattle and Baltimore have better running games than we do, you've done me a favor and I can just put you on ignore now.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117933)
We didn't have that WITH Kareem Hunt. This has always been a pass-first team. Hunt had more than 20 carries like 4 times in the last 2 years.

Fantasy land, I could live with.

He lives in some upside down hellscape where the way to make the team better is to make it dumber.

The Chiefs have been among the NFL leaders in rush efficiency since Reid got here. When they want to run the ball, they're good at it. But it's not what they're best at. Fortunately, what they're best at is the thing that is EASILY the best way to run an offense in today's NFL and it's throwing the ball.

Why would you want to spend significant draft capital on a tool that's expressly designed to take the ball OUT of the hands of 3 guys who are arguably the single most dangerous, dynamic threats at their position in all of football?

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 01:50 PM

I don't care if we somehow drafted Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson all at the same time, we're not running the ball anywhere close to 50%.

Reid considers the screen game as extended hand-offs, and that is all part of the running game as far as he's considered, because he doesn't give a **** what you think, he's interested in results.

Williams and Williams with either a Ware or a West or a mid to late round pick or UDFA is what will be done and that is the correct thing to do within this offense.

Y'all want three yards and a cloud of dust, you're really going to hate the next 15 years.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14117910)
I think it is a false narrative that the Chiefs need to draft all defense/defense heavy. Hill and Mahomes are about to get expensive. Morse may be allowed to hit FA. Watkins becomes a cut candidate in 2020. I do not think RB is as critical as receiver/OL/TE depth moving forward.

I was sour on the FA Tight End class, but there could be cheap potential upgrades to Harris:

Jesse James
Tyler Kroft
C.J. Uzomah
Jeff Heuerman

- The Cincy TE’s are intriguing. Uzomah is coming off a career year which will spike his salary, but Kroft put up impressive numbers in 2017 prior to his foot injury this season where he only played in 5 games. I think the Chiefs could land one of these guys for as cheap as they had Harris with more potential production (all have superior catch rates).

I'm tellin' ya - if you want to improve this team's running game, draft T.J. Hockenson.

I couldn't draw up a better fit for this offense in a lab. He is letter perfect for what Andy likes to do. If the Chiefs went out there in twin tight ace formations 75% of the time, they'd just rape faces man.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14118095)
I don't care if we somehow drafted Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson all at the same time, we're not running the ball anywhere close to 50%.

Reid considers the screen game as extended hand-offs, and that is all part of the running game as far as he's considered, because he doesn't give a **** what you think, he's interested in results.

Williams and Williams with either a Ware or a West or a mid to late round pick or UDFA is what will be done and that is the correct thing to do within this offense.

Y'all want three yards and a cloud of dust, you're really going to hate the next 15 years.

You have to actively ignore Reid's long and loud commentary regarding the running game to think it would be wise to throw a ton of capital at the RB position.

He's always said that he sees the short passing game as an extension of the running game. Those bunch formations and bubble screens are Andy's version of the split T. As you've noted, unless you want Andy broomed outright, there's just no sense in calling for some return to power football.

That's not how he approaches the game and he's been WELL ahead of the curve in that regard.

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118107)
You have to actively ignore Reid's long and loud commentary regarding the running game to think it would be wise to throw a ton of capital at the RB position.

He's always said that he sees the short passing game as an extension of the running game. Those bunch formations and bubble screens are Andy's version of the split T. As you've noted, unless you want Andy broomed outright, there's just no sense in calling for some return to power football.

That's not how he approaches the game and he's been WELL ahead of the curve in that regard.

yup.

O.city 02-21-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118101)
I'm tellin' ya - if you want to improve this team's running game, draft T.J. Hockenson.

I couldn't draw up a better fit for this offense in a lab. He is letter perfect for what Andy likes to do. If the Chiefs went out there in twin tight ace formations 75% of the time, they'd just rape faces man.

I've seen him inching closer and closer to the top 10 in mock drafts so I think that's just not gonna happen.

staylor26 02-21-2019 02:00 PM

Yea no way that happens

I think we sign a #2 TE out of the ones CN listed

htismaqe 02-21-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118101)

This.

O.city 02-21-2019 02:01 PM

They're gonna have to get a 2nd TE somewhere IIRC, whatshisface is a FA.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 02:02 PM

TJ is probably going to be a top 15 pick at this point. But DJ's point still stands, a good #2 TE helps the running game far more than a RB at this point.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14118116)
I've seen him inching closer and closer to the top 10 in mock drafts so I think that's just not gonna happen.

I'm still hopeful that relatively pedestrian stopwatch times are going to have him painted as 'old school' in the draft and he'll slip. If he goes out there and runs in the 4.6 range, we're probably screwed. But if he's in the 4.7-4.8 range we might have a shot at him.

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118191)
I'm still hopeful that relatively pedestrian stopwatch times are going to have him painted as 'old school' in the draft and he'll slip. If he goes out there and runs in the 4.6 range, we're probably screwed. But if he's in the 4.7-4.8 range we might have a shot at him.

I think he's going to tank his 40 and pull up lame with a hamstring all because he wants The Chiefs to draft him so he can play with Mahomes.

Chief Northman 02-21-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118191)

I think teams will be enamored by him regardless of how he tests. Iowa cranks out quality players and his tape does not lie. The “Kittle effect” also will cause teams to want Hockenson early.

htismaqe 02-21-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14118247)
I think teams will be enamored by him regardless of how he tests. Iowa cranks out quality players and his tape does not lie. The “Kittle effect” also will cause teams to want Hockenson early.

Hock and Fant are both better prospects than Kittle was at this point. He's a huge surprise and I'm a lifetime Hawkeye fan. I mean he was good in college but he wasn't THIS good.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14117933)

Am I sayung it's not a pass first team? I'M SAYING WE NEED TO ADJUST OUR OFFENSE SO WE CAN KEEP THE BALL AWAY JUST LIKE THE PATS DID TO US. If you want the team to remain a one trick pony then good for you. I just don't agree and I never will.

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14118294)
Am I sayung it's not a pass first team? I'M SAYING WE NEED TO ADJUST OUR OFFENSE SO WE CAN KEEP THE BALL AWAY JUST LIKE THE PATS DID TO US. If you want the team to remain a one trick pony then good for you. I just don't agree and I never will.

You don't understand.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14118294)

What part of "This team presently runs the ball more effectively than the teams you're asking us to emulate" is getting past you here?

We aren't PRESENTLY a 1-trick pony. The Chiefs are, right this very second, better at running the ball than the Seahawks and Ravens.

You 'don't agree' because you're not paying attention to any of the arguments being presented. You seem to believe that he fact that the Ravens ran it often means that they ran it well. And at least when you get to the Patriots you're now starting to get closer to the argument that people before you have made and made far better.

This team can presently run the football well. And if you go looking to replace Williams its exclusively because you want to run between the tackles - because nobody available is going to be an appreciable upgrade from Williams off-tackle or out of the backfield. So you're saying we should spend significant assets to upgrade on a solid RB so we can run a power run game that simply cannot work from the shotgun.

So now you're also asking us to scrap our 'base' formation and the shotgun/spread concepts that the rest of the NFL is copying as fast as they can see them. I'm sure it's because they're silly ideas.

You're simply not paying attention to anything Andy Reid wants to do or anything the Kansas City offense is built to do.

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14118066)

Smh are people just naturally DUMB In this place? Smdh :rolleyes: YET AGAIN SOMEONE ELSE FAILS TO COMPREHEND THE BASICS. No-one is saying we should mould are offense to be exactly like those teams. I'M SAYING WE SHOULD IMPROVE OUR ABILITY TO KEEP THE BALL AND TAKE TIME OFF THE CLOCK. And as far as those teams were concerned they were the best at it. You can spew your "efficiency" bs all you like. The fact is those were the best ranked run games last season and they kept the ball away from the opposition week in, week out. If you think consistently throwing the ball to Rb's makes our running game much better than theirs then go ahead buddy, have at it ROFL .

UChieffyBugger 02-21-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14118315)
You don't understand.

Speaking of one trick pony's ROFL

Chris Meck 02-21-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14118340)
Speaking of one trick pony's ROFL

Is that some kind of clever joke or something?