ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

ForeverIowan 02-08-2024 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 17388311)
I'm still holding out hope for the sales pitch. "Come back and play for Andy. Come back and play with Patrick. Come back and be part of this dynasty. Let us figure out where we stand with everyone and we'll pay you as much as we reasonably can, but we can't pay you everything you want and still sign the other pieces that make this team formidable."

It worked for the Patriots for years, it's got to work for us with some of them at least.

He passed on that long-term offer last year. He is one of the best 10-15 players in the league and deserves to be paid accordingly if that is what he desires. You just have to thank him for everything and hope we can get a few teams bidding against each other for trade compensation.

Chris Meck 02-08-2024 06:31 PM

Quote:

I'm still holding out hope for the sales pitch. "Come back and play for Andy. Come back and play with Patrick. Come back and be part of this dynasty. Let us figure out where we stand with everyone and we'll pay you as much as we reasonably can, but we can't pay you everything you want and still sign the other pieces that make this team formidable."

It worked for the Patriots for years, it's got to work for us with some of them at least.

No, mostly the Patriots let those guys walk. Richard Seymour, for example, would be a good comp.

The big names the Patriots had were guys that were late in their careers that signed there for pennies to chase a ring-guys like Seau and Harrison, for example.

Bill gave very few guys big contracts.

BigRedChief 02-08-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17388182)
Sneed is getting the tag so he isn't going anywhere for at least another year.

there is no way Sneed gets top CB money from any team. I’ve seen $12-$14 million a year. 4 years/$35 million guaranteed with no funny money on the back end so they cut him prior to year 4.

BigRedChief 02-08-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 17388250)
My guess is Jones plays his last game as a Chief on Sunday. Make it a monster game Chris!

we just can’t be giving $30 million a year $100 million guaranteed to a 35 year old DE in that last year.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17388320)
there is no way Sneed gets top CB money from any team. I’ve seen $12-$14 million a year. 4 years/$35 million guaranteed with no funny money on the back end so they cut him prior to year 4.

I was in this camp early on. I'm now in the some one will pay this man through their nose. Probably some team that has to play Jefferson, Hill or some other stud wide out 2x a year.

notorious 02-08-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17388233)
The Cowboys want Jones bad.

They are......Jonesing?

poolboy 02-08-2024 06:42 PM

any cap guys know how much Chris has made so far this season including incentives?

ThyKingdomCome15 02-08-2024 06:51 PM

Chris Jones carrying a big cap hit in his 30's doesn't sound good for the team's longterm success. If Sneed signs a three year deal he'll be 30 at the end of his contract as well. Front loaded contracts sound like the best thing if Veach can find that happy middle ground. Otherwise it may be best to move on from both and spend the money on offense, draft the defense.

Chris Meck 02-08-2024 06:54 PM

I just don't see how you can fit paying Jonesy $30m and Sneed $18m per. Not with Bolton, Creed coming up, and Thuney's still expensive, and Taylor's expensive.

I just don't see how it's good for overall team building.

Given the choice, I'll pay Sneed that second contract and sign a couple of FA DT's for half.

Hydrae 02-08-2024 07:01 PM

I see it differently. We have been so good at drafting DBs, I think we let Sneed walk. If we try to keep one of them it would be Chris but I don't think that will work either. But if you want to try for a tag and trade, Sneed would probably be the better bet. We saw what happened last year when we had all that money tied up and getting no progress with the Jones contract. I don't see how we can do that again this year.

At the same time, I would love to keep Tranquil, Edwards, and probably Smith. Gay would be wonderful if his demands aren't too bad.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-08-2024 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17388353)
I just don't see how you can fit paying Jonesy $30m and Sneed $18m per. Not with Bolton, Creed coming up, and Thuney's still expensive, and Taylor's expensive.

I just don't see how it's good for overall team building.

Given the choice, I'll pay Sneed that second contract and sign a couple of FA DT's for half.

Love Chris, but he's playing for a ring and a big check from another team on Sunday. No way we can pay him what he'll fetch on the open market. Maybe a team friendly deal, but don't think that's going to happen.

Wallcrawler 02-08-2024 07:55 PM

Quote:

It only works for people who don't look at football as their job, and with the point of a job being to make as much money as you possibly can in a business where your career can end on your next play.

I don't see how someone doesn't swoop in and offer Tranquill a hefty deal after his stellar replacement of Bolton for half the season.

Jones knows this is likely his last big payday.

Sneed likely will never be worth more than he is right now. This was one of the best CB performances I've ever seen in my life. He surrendered one td all year, a crazy ass insane difficulty level catch, and the next game he goes out and denies Zay Flowers at the goal line for a touchback on a play that could have turned the gane for the Ravens. The dude simply refuses to get scored on, and the guy played against the absolute elite that the league has to offer.

|Zach| 02-08-2024 07:59 PM

Gotta say I am surprised we are going to try to resign Jones...not that he is not worth and not that I would not love for him to be a Chief forever but hey...do your thing I am just an idiot on the internet.

Eleazar 02-08-2024 08:03 PM

I’d like to see 2 more years of Jones and Sneed given a longer term deal, but there are realities in play that it may not be in Jones’ best financial interest to stay. Maybe we’ll get a heart decision and not a business decision, who knows.

|Zach| 02-08-2024 08:05 PM

Wish we could hold on to Bolton but it feels like he is the easiest to replace out of the really good players who are hard to replace group.