ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Jury Duty (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326692)

Buehler445 11-13-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14593708)
I am curious. I own my own business, and if I am selected for Jury Duty that went to trial it will literally cost me thousands of dollars in lost business.

If I said,"Since you are costing me thousands, I am going to vote the opposite of the other jurors no matter what.", what would happen to me?

I think In most cases if you have material hardship they’ll excuse you.

Best thing is to go to the court ahead of time and explain rather than drop bombs in the selection.

scho63 11-13-2019 11:24 AM

Call them up and tell them you need to attend a Ku Klux Klan meeting that day and need a note from the court to show you are on jury duty.

frozenchief 11-13-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14593708)
I am curious. I own my own business, and if I am selected for Jury Duty that went to trial it will literally cost me thousands of dollars in lost business.

If I said,"Since you are costing me thousands, I am going to vote the opposite of the other jurors no matter what.", what would happen to me?

In most places, a financial hardship excuses jurors. Self employment is considered a financial hardship. In some jurisdictions you could contact the jury clerk, advise you are self employed and be excused. In others, you have to go to court and tell the judge, who excuses you. Check with your jury clerk if you’re summoned.

BryanBusby 11-13-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14593867)
Call them up and tell them you need to attend a Ku Klux Klan meeting that day and need a note from the court to show you are on jury duty.

Gotta be careful in some areas. In Mississippi, that could possibly be a bonus.

Tell them you got a Black Panther meeting to organize.

dmahurin 11-13-2019 11:51 AM

In the interview process just say that you are a fan of and believe in jury nullification. Immediate dismissal.

edit: I replied before reading the other people who also said this.

Flying High D 11-13-2019 11:54 AM

Tell them you parked your septic tank pumping truck out front and it has seal leak on the tank.

Dartgod 11-13-2019 11:55 AM

I've been summoned for jury duty once in my life. I wasn't selected either.

I probably just jinxed myself.

Flying High D 11-13-2019 11:58 AM

Tell them you’re a Chiefs fan. They’ll think your life is ****ed up enough and dismiss you.

FloridaMan88 11-13-2019 12:02 PM

Last time I was called to jury duty, I was actually selected to be in the pre-trial potential juror interview process by the attorneys.

It was a DUI case and the judge said they were going to try to proceed with the trial “through the evening” (it was already almost 5 p.m.)

Not wanting to be stuck in a trial “through the evening”, I made sure to disqualify myself as a potential juror.

When they asked me if I could make an impartial judgement in this DUI case I said no because I love to drink and alcohol is an important part of my life.

I didn’t get selected for the trial so I guess my efforts were successful.

Flying High D 11-13-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14593999)
Last time I was called to jury duty, I was actually selected to be in the pre-trial potential juror interview process by the attorneys.

It was a DUI case and the judge said they were going to try to proceed with the trial “through the evening” (it was already almost 5 p.m.)

Not wanting to be stuck in a trial “through the evening”, I made sure to disqualify myself as a potential juror.

When they asked me if I could make an impartial judgement in this DUI case I said no because I love to drink and alcohol is an important part of my life.

Would been really successful if you would of been Otis level drunk when you said it.

2bikemike 11-13-2019 12:43 PM

I have never ever received a jury notice! :shrug::D

Buehler445 11-13-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 14594097)

If your luck is anything like mine there will be a notice in your mailbox when you get home.

Flying High D 11-13-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 14594097)

Ever registered to vote?

notorious 11-13-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 14593988)
Tell them you’re a Chiefs fan. They’ll think your life is ****ed up enough and dismiss you.

If you tell them you are a Raider fan, they’ll respond,”See you soon!”

Lzen 11-13-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14593999)

Almost 5pm? Geez, what time did this all start? Our jury pools here start first thing in the morning.