ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Not starting Patrick Mahomes II in 2017 - good idea or bad idea? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320618)

DRM08 01-19-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 14053129)
More importantly it would have dimished Smith's trade value. Pretty sure that was Andy's logic. Mahomes was 22 and Andy probably knew Mahomes had a good shot of winning that game in the 4th but it would've mortgaged some of our future talent "capital" so he decided it wasnt worth it. All I know is thank God we have Mahomes. Its still hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Similar to Foles making Wentz look replaceable the last couple years.

crispystl 01-19-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14053149)
Similar to Foles making Wentz look replaceable the last couple years.

Yeah I think so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nickhead 01-19-2019 09:27 PM

given the outcome up to this point, i can't believe you are even asking the question. aside from it being unfair to DJ that he missed out on this year. :D

RealSNR 01-19-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14053106)
Let that shit go. You guys are all smart. You can’t prove a negative. We will never know. It’s in the history books.

We do know for sure, we have the NFL MVP starting for the Chiefs. Everyone gets to enjoy the first AFCCG at Arrowhead, ever. It’s worked out finally for the Chiefs and us long suffering fans.

I'm answering the question posed by the thread. I said it was a good idea for Alex to start games 1-16. Mahomes should have had the last two.

Geez. I didn't care for Alex, but I'm not trying to start shit.

Pablo 01-19-2019 10:26 PM

I dunno, Pat could already have 10,000 yards and 100 TD's by now, so I guess last year was a waste.

suzzer99 01-19-2019 10:31 PM

1. Good idea.
  2. He learned so much from Smiff.
  3. Everything happens for a reason.
  4. Let's just enjoy this ride.

Btw I voted worse for the Chiefs in the short term but better in the long term because I think we easily beat the Titans with Mahomie.

But I guess I'm not looking at the whole season.

Either way - let's just enjoy this ride.

Reerun_KC 01-19-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14053168)
given the outcome up to this point, i can't believe you are even asking the question. aside from it being unfair to DJ that he missed out on this year. :D

Yeah those pesky Raider players.

oldman 01-20-2019 09:47 AM

Smith had a career year in 2017 which upped his trade value. PM2 learned from Smith. I think Andy made the right choice.

HemiEd 01-20-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 14052977)
I think it was the perfect way to handle him. The only gripe I have is that Andy didn't yank Alex in the second half of last year's playoff debacle

This is how I see it.

Skyy God 01-20-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14053014)
It was still worth the 3rd rounder and Fuller. Smith would have lost value in a benching.

This is the correct answer.

5000/50 shows Fat Andy and Veach made the right call giving MVPat a redshirt year.

We would have certainly gone farther in the playoffs, but to what ultimate end??

dlphg9 01-20-2019 11:25 AM

I hate this stupid ass "he learned from Smith bullshit, because Reid and even Mahomes said so!". Wtf do you guys expect them to say.

Reid "Yeah, well I made a mistake starting Alex last year in place of Mahomes. I knew Mahomes was ready and couldn't possibly learn anything from that cuck QB."

Mahomes "Alex was a real pussy. Sitting behind him was the mistake Andy could have made. What was he supposed to teach me? How to run out of a clean pocket and into a sack or how to throw 6 yards short on 3rd down."

Another stupid ass thing that is said is he had to be coached out of his wreckless college mistakes. Wtf are some of you idiots talking about. His last year of college he had 41 tds and 10 ints. Hes still the same player he was in college.

OKchiefs 01-20-2019 11:30 AM

Good idea. As amazing as he is, you can tell some if his miscues at times are a result of his poor footwork that probably can still be improved. It would have been worse a year ago. As painful as another year of Alex Smith was, I believe letting Mahomes sit an develop was the best thing for all parties involved.

PAChiefsGuy 01-20-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14054004)
I hate this stupid ass "he learned from Smith bullshit, because Reid and even Mahomes said so!". Wtf do you guys expect them to say.

Reid "Yeah, well I made a mistake starting Alex last year in place of Mahomes. I knew Mahomes was ready and couldn't possibly learn anything from that outstanding citizen QB."

Mahomes "Alex was a real pussy. Sitting behind him was the mistake Andy could have made. What was he supposed to teach me? How to run out of a clean pocket and into a sack or how to throw 6 yards short on 3rd down."

Another stupid ass thing that is said is he had to be coached out of his wreckless college mistakes. Wtf are some of you idiots talking about. His last year of college he had 41 tds and 10 ints. Hes still the same player he was in college.

If Alex Smith was a dick to Mahomes and didnt teach him shit not sure Reid or Mahomes would mention it but they certainly wouldnt be praising the guy for helping him.

You also fail to mention Mahomes Dad praising Smith. Again, if he didnt learn anything from Smith not sure Mahomes Dad would mention it but I guarantee you he wouldn't have said this:

Dads understand and appreciate help given to their children. So Pat Mahomes told Smith several times last year how much he appreciated what he did for his boy. Unspoken was the fact that they both knew Patrick was there to take Smith’s job.

“That’s what’s so admirable about what Alex did all season for him,” Pat Mahomes said. “I know how it was when I came up [to the Minnesota Twins, in 1992]. I remember one time that year asking Jack Morris how he threw his split-finger fastball. He said, ‘Get away from me, you little … You’ll be trying to take my job next year.’”

And to say that Mahomes is same player he was in college is stupid. You really think he learned absolutely nothing at all by sitting one-year? Come on now...

Chiefshrink 01-20-2019 12:19 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20.;)

Chiefshrink 01-20-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 14054058)
If Alex Smith was a dick to Mahomes and didnt teach him shit not sure Reid or Mahomes would mention it but they certainly wouldnt be praising the guy for helping him.

You also fail to mention Mahomes Dad praising Smith. Again, if he didnt learn anything from Smith not sure Mahomes Dad would mention it but I guarantee you he wouldn't have said this:

Dads understand and appreciate help given to their children. So Pat Mahomes told Smith several times last year how much he appreciated what he did for his boy. Unspoken was the fact that they both knew Patrick was there to take Smith’s job.

“That’s what’s so admirable about what Alex did all season for him,” Pat Mahomes said. “I know how it was when I came up [to the Minnesota Twins, in 1992]. I remember one time that year asking Jack Morris how he threw his split-finger fastball. He said, ‘Get away from me, you little … You’ll be trying to take my job next year.’”

And to say that Mahomes is same player he was in college is stupid. You really think he learned absolutely nothing at all by sitting one-year? Come on now...

Exactly !!

Trust me if NFL organizations had the luxury we did by having a NO.1 rd pick QB sit the bench and learn from a competent system QB for a year they ALL would take this approach. But most don't have this luxury. Now some will say we never had this luxury because Alex should have been benched but I say we did. IF Alex were benched yes Mahomes would have came in and made a few eye opening plays and maybe even win a playoff game but what you chance is not only physical injury but even more is a deep seated psychological injury that would be very hard to undo. But we'll never know thank goodness!!:clap:

The Chiefs have shown the model of developing a QB to the rest of the league on how to do it IF they afford themselves the opportunity in the future which I think organizations will start to do in order to reduce the risk of a 1st rd QB bust.

I think you will see organizations really begin to put more of an emphasis on finding 'that guy' who 'really knows the QB position' and is that right person for the QB coach position.