ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs' living and dying with pass rush will get ultimate test from Tom Brady (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320448)

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-15-2019 01:59 PM

If Berry is back I’d want Sorenson as a linebacker. He needs to get up there and stop the run. Drop the hammer Dirty Dan!!

Simply Red 01-15-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14040351)
Ward and Lucas have helped this defense immensely.

Ward is going to be very above average once he blossoms

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-15-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14041377)
Ward is going to be very above average once he blossoms

And we have him for 2 years!!

htismaqe 01-15-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14041337)
If Berry is back I’d want Sorenson as a linebacker. He needs to get up there and stop the run. Drop the hammer Dirty Dan!!

The opposite is actually a better scenario. Plays to their strengths better.

DJ's left nut 01-15-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041455)
The opposite is actually a better scenario. Plays to their strengths better.

I still think folks have been mis-identifying Sorensen's strengths for as long as he's been here.

He's a well built white dude but he's not actually all that good in run support. Moreover, he's damn athletic. He's not John Lynch out there; he's more of a Roy Williams type. Roy was never as good as I thought he'd be because he just wasn't all that sound. But holy hell was he athletic and aggressive. He wanted to smoke folks, he wanted to go looking to lay lumber where he could but he was oft times not where he needed to be because his aggression.

Sorensen is a lot like that. People want to act like he's this stout run-support box safety and he just isn't. Or that he's a lumbering oaf in coverage and that's not right either. What he is to my eyes is an old school strong safety who is a little better in coverage than the run but not comfortable in space enough to be where he SHOULD be athletically and that's a free safety.

His tackling is often overestimated and his range/athleticism is often underestimated. He's a weird cat who can play a handful of positions but not any of them terribly well, IMO.

Dunerdr 01-15-2019 03:05 PM

can we just stop to imagine what the sack numbers would look like if we had competent coverage more often early in the year?

Toad 01-15-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14040308)
We definitely should take chances. Can Tom Brady really beat us over the top at his age in the bitter cold, dry, heavy air? Contest the short stuff.

By gawd someone needs to be constantly checking the pressure on the balls
#deflategate

KChiefs1 01-19-2019 02:20 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ed20dce857.jpg

milkman 01-19-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14040255)
If you can get Houston isolated on a guard, the play is essentially over.

They had Houston inside and sent Hitchens on a loop, IIRC. That pulled protection that could've helped out inside on Houston away and he just mauled that poor bastard guard (maybe it was the C). That interior lineman didn't have anywhere near the quickness to stay in front of him and Houston's hand-fighting skills are second to none.

He just slapped the punch away and ran right past him. And Houston will do that to just about any guard in the league. There were some really nice schematic adjustments/wrinkles on Saturday.

It really was a command performance pretty much across the board.

If they can generate some pressure on the interior with any combination of Jones, Nnadi, Ford and Houston, they can really disrupt what the Pats want to do on offense.

I expect that the blitz % will be the lowest we've seen in any game this season.

milkman 01-19-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 14041229)
I'm reaaaaaaaaaaalllly hoping that Ward and Lucas pan out.

They've played very well since coming in. I know guys like to give Ward a hard time for his first game vs Seattle, but I thought Wilson was tossing perfect throws against predominantly excellent coverage (particularly on there last drive).

I would argue that Baltimore's win over the LA Chargers in Week 16 enabled this secondary resurgence over the past few games. If the Chargers beat the Ravens, Reid might be more pressured into starting the known shitty veterans (Scandrick, Parker) vs Seattle and we'd never know what we had in Ward or Lucas. (We also wouldn't have the #1 seed also.)

It's still extremely early and all of this can still go to crap, but I feel better

about our defense (especially at home) then I have at any other point this season.

I completely agree with you on that Seattle game.

htismaqe 01-19-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 14052501)
If they can generate some pressure on the interior with any combination of Jones, Nnadi, Ford and Houston, they can really disrupt what the Pats want to do on offense.

I expect that the blitz % will be the lowest we've seen in any game this season.

Your expectation is likely to be reality.

DJ outlined how Sutton works against the Patriots. There's going to be a lot of 3 and 4-man rushes, which people hate, but that's how you defend New England.

In the past, those fronts looked terrible because we couldn't get pressure. Now with Nnadi improving, Houston playing lights out, and Chris Jones looking like he came from another planet, they can get pressure out of those fronts.

milkman 01-19-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14052537)
Your expectation is likely to be reality.

DJ outlined how Sutton works against the Patriots. There's going to be a lot of 3 and 4-man rushes, which people hate, but that's how you defend New England.

In the past, those fronts looked terrible because we couldn't get pressure. Now with Nnadi improving, Houston playing lights out, and Chris Jones looking like he came from another planet, they can get pressure out of those fronts.

What I've hated about Sutton's scheme in the past against Brady is the soft coverage in the secondary.

I'm hoping that the emergence of Ward and Lucas. and the return of Berry has them tighter on the LOS so they can affect the timing of routes.

htismaqe 01-19-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 14052559)
What I've hated about Sutton's scheme in the past against Brady is the soft coverage in the secondary.

I'm hoping that the emergence of Ward and Lucas. and the return of Berry has them tighter on the LOS so they can affect the timing of routes.

Well until this year, his scheme worked pretty well, most likely due to the present of said Eric Berry.

I think a lot of the problems this season were compensation for lack of talent on the backend. Sutton's biggest problem was not biting the bullet and getting the young guys in earlier.

But hey, they're in the AFC Championship game. It's all hindsight at this point.