ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The ethics of get-it-yourself refills. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318082)

tooge 10-10-2018 08:00 AM

I get the large. It's generally like $.50 to $.75 more, big deal. Plus, then I can refill it right before I leave, and have a large to go. If you are needing to cheat the few cents difference, you should probably be eating at home.

mr. tegu 10-10-2018 08:11 AM

There are items in grocery stores that they lose money on because they want to get you in the store with a low priced item that many people buy. Think of the soda purchase the same way. They know it may not be profitable if everyone gets a soda and refill as their only purchase, but as you said, you went there because you could get the refill so the restaurant and you both win.

luv 10-10-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13804071)
All this... esp if you're a Dr Pepper fan, the mix is off at least 15% of the time in my experience.

Yep. That's the life of a Dr. Pepper drinker.

ptlyon 10-10-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13804014)
i almost gave you my first neg rep ever. but i thought that would have been too harsh.

BRING IT YOU AUSSIE TART :)

alpha_omega 10-10-2018 08:42 AM

Medium. So you can get a lid and take some with you. If you are having one to go, the small isn't enough.

scho63 10-10-2018 08:52 AM

If you're drinking the disgusting sugary shit that comes out of those refill dispensers at fast food or low budget restaurants, you have bigger issues than how many and cup size.

Costs them about .05 a cup if that. The cup costs more than the liquid.

L.A. Chieffan 10-10-2018 09:45 AM

I hate people that get the water cup and then fill it up with Dr. Pepper or whatever right in front of everybody. It's like bro, we can see you.

Rain Man 10-10-2018 10:00 AM

Hmm, lots of good points here.

First off, I completely agree on putting soda in the water cup. That's just wrong, and there's no gray area there. It's a crime.

With regard to the soda size, I conclude that the most valid argument is that the restaurant is setting the rules, so as long as I play by those rules there is no ethical violation. Therefore, the small soda is the most valid purchase to make. The only exception is if I'm planning to take a refill with me and would prefer the larger size. I like that exception because it gives me a logical reason to assume that a reasonable person could at times choose a size other than small, hence the reason for the restaurant offering up rules that are nonsensical on their face from a dine-in perspective.

So my conclusion is that, going forward, I will order the small soda and collect my refills without hesitation or shame.

Discuss Thrower 10-10-2018 10:05 AM

People who put Sprite in a 'water' cup are typically the same people who steal the Tabasco bottles from Chipotle.

Baby Lee 10-10-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13804604)
People who put Sprite in a 'water' cup are typically the same people who steal the Tabasco bottles from Chipotle.

I've never done it, but I've seen the argument.

What is your assessment of someone who picks out the Tabasco bottle with the approximate amount remaining they were intending to put on their purchase?

Those making the argument say they're saving mess and hassle for both them and the Chipotle of opening and laying out their purchases to put Tabasco on in-store and saving the staff the trouble of throwing away the bottle.

FAX 10-10-2018 10:22 AM

Don't forget this ... Chipolte's commitment to recycling Tobasco bottles is hit and miss ...

If you're a dedicated recycler, take the bottle and save Planet Earth from even further devastation.

Hell ... take all their bottles.

FAX

Discuss Thrower 10-10-2018 10:26 AM

If Chipotle meant for customers to take their source of Tabasco home, they'd have the airliner-sized bottles available.

Fish 10-10-2018 10:28 AM

McDonalds kinda flips this argument on its head though. They charge the same $1 price regardless of which size you get.

Baby Lee 10-10-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13804664)
If Chipotle meant for customers to take their source of Tabasco home, they'd have the airliner-sized bottles available.

You realize that Tabasco bottles aren't self-replenishing?

Are you arguing that Chipotle doesn't intend for you to put the Tabasco inside the bottle on your purchase?

Are you arguing that customers should never use the last of the Tabasco in any particular bottle?

Are you arguing that Chipotle has a proprietary interest in empty Tabasco bottles?

Help me understand the contours of your argument.

FAX 10-10-2018 10:29 AM

If the Great Spirit meant us to have unrecycled bottles, they would drop from trees like acorns.

FAX