ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News AT&T buys Time Warner for $80 billion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303038)

ChiliConCarnage 06-12-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 13590092)
If it goes through, one of the first things AT&T will do is lay off a bunch of Time Warner employees. Those bastards hate employees almost as much as they hate their customers.

I wouldn't think it'd be too bad. I don't think the two companies would have a lot of overlap. I'm sure some people in marketing or accounting maybe.

BryanBusby 06-12-2018 02:48 PM

It's happening

cron912 06-12-2018 02:53 PM

Yep, and probably opening the door for more mergers/buyouts to follow.

ChiliConCarnage 06-12-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

In an extraordinary move, Leon did not post his decision online. He delivered it from the bench at 4 p.m. EDT, after U.S. financial markets had closed. Spectators were not allowed to leave the courtroom until Leon finished.

Professional line-standers, who are paid by attorneys, corporate executives and hedge-fund managers to hold a place in the courtroom line, began queuing up outside the courthouse on Monday afternoon — nearly 24 hours in advance.
No wonder unemployment's so ****ing low. "line-standing" is now a profession

Beef Supreme 06-12-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 13590342)

I could get rich at the DMV!

BigRedChief 06-12-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13590332)
It's happening

Can someone explain how this will benefit consumers? How will this not lessen our choices or options?

I’m just not seeing a benefit for us.

BigRedChief 06-12-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 13590342)

thats been going on for a long time. They pay people to wait in line for Franklins BBQ down in Austin.

Fire Me Boy! 06-12-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13590472)
Can someone explain how this will benefit consumers? How will this not lessen our choices or options?

I’m just not seeing a benefit for us.

Welcome to Ajit Pai’s FCC.

Kiimo 06-12-2018 04:18 PM

Not excited considering either Disney or Comcast is about to buy Fox and my job will be possibly redundant.

htismaqe 06-12-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13590117)
Honestly cable TV will soon be a thing of the past. When 5g comes out it will change everything.

We are going to find out soon enough. Verizon appears to be serious about deploying 5G, to the point that they seemingly have no interest in cable or content, the two things AT&T apparently thinks are most important.

htismaqe 06-12-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13590484)
Welcome to Ajit Pai’s FCC.

We’ve been on this path for 2 decades. It has nothing to do with the current administration at all.

LiL stumppy 06-12-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13590490)
We are going to find out soon enough. Verizon appears to be serious about deploying 5G, to the point that they seemingly have no interest in cable or content, the two things AT&T apparently thinks are most important.

VZW cares about content, but more in terms of their online Oath platform. Definitely a different approach though. Will be interesting to see how the new CEO at Verizon handles this move...

They are the front runner in the 5g debate, which will be mostly be fixed architectural.

htismaqe 06-12-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy (Post 13590635)
VZW cares about content, but more in terms of their online Oath platform. Definitely a different approach though. Will be interesting to see how the new CEO at Verizon handles this move...

They are the front runner in the 5g debate, which will be mostly be fixed architectural.

I probably should have been more clear. Verizon cares about content as a companion play. They spent a relatively minor $9B combined on AOL and Yahoo and don’t appear to be interested in further acquisitions, especially big ones (e.g. the rumors about them acquiring Fox).

The new CEO is all about 5G. It’s why he was hired after his stint at Ericcson and put into the CEO role after only a year with Verizon. Verizon is “all in” on 5G.

LiL stumppy 06-12-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13590660)
I probably should have been more clear. Verizon cares about content as a companion play. They spent a relatively minor $9B combined on AOL and Yahoo and don’t appear to be interested in further acquisitions, especially big ones (e.g. the rumors about them acquiring Fox).

The new CEO is all about 5G. It’s why he was hired after his stint at Ericcson and put into the CEO role after only a year with Verizon. Verizon is “all in” on 5G.

Yep, I agree.

Hopefully he does slightly better than he did at Erickson. Lowell obviously saw something in him. There is a lot of leadership changes at VZW however so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As long as they are the front runner in 5G everything will be good for them.

ChiliConCarnage 06-12-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13590660)

They want that advertising revenue. Two ways to acquire the eyeballs I suppose.. content or the pipe. They're maybe focusing more on the latter. Seems to make sense as the content side is getting flooded by new huge money players like Apple and Amazon.