ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Bucky Brooks Mock Draft 1.0 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320910)

O.city 01-29-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14079986)
RB is exactly the kind of position you target a little later at this point since the position has become devalued.

I mean if Saquon or his ilk falls then you're looking at a guy who's such a screaming bargain that you take him. But even when RBs were considered high-end commodities, a player like Jacobs wouldn't go more than a few picks higher than he's likely going to go now. Maybe he goes in the high teens/early 20s if this draft were done 15 years ago?

Taking him a few picks after where he'd go at 'peak value' isn't a significant enough adjustment, IMO. Maybe I'm just wrong on his value - maybe he's a top 5-10 guy when RBs were still as highly sought after and that the only reason he'd fall to us in the late 20s would be the market adjusting so we should take him to try to stay ahead of the market. But what I see there is an upright runner with above average but not elite speed and solid but unspectacular lateral agility. His hands are...fine, his acceleration is good but not great. He's a very well rounded big back and those are nice guys to have but on this team at this time I just can't see a desperate need for that skill set. Honestly...I kinda see Fournette in him and that's just not been a recipe for success of late.

I just don't think he alters the team's trajectory significantly.

Yeah, I mean, I feel like you could find a guy that can put his head down and get 3 yards every play in every draft.

If you want a RB for this current offense, you need (sigh, **** we had him here already) a Kareem Hunt type guy that has great vision and balance.

I think Williams is a little Kamara light in that he can catch it and is good in the open field. He's not great there but good enough.

If you want to add the next dimension to this offense, probably going to have to draft a C or LG early or look for a WR or another TE. Rb just isn't the place to go.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2019 04:59 PM

I really think the biggest offensive game-changer this team could add would be a big-time TE.

You want to see this run game take a step forward, allow us to play 75% of the time in 12 personnel. The team plays so much from the shotgun that it's hard to incorporate the FB as much without telegraphing what you're doing or fundamentally altering the character and timing of the offense by working under center.

But when you're in 12 personnel, you essentially have the modern day 'pro set' by having that extra blocker in there, he's just there in the form of a TE instead of a FB. And with as much motion as we run, you could effectively have him blocking from the backfield if you wanted.

The best way (schematically) for this running game to be truly dangerous would be to make it more powerful and less predictable. The only way to do both of those things is with a TE that is a plus run-blocker and dangerous in the pattern. That would allow us to come out in 12 personnel most of the time and give opposing defenses no obvious tells. To me the best combination of those traits is probably Hockenson but I think Smith is potentially so dynamic in the pattern that merely credible as a run-blocker and terrifying as a pass-catcher puts him ahead of the Iowa kids.

htismaqe 01-29-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14079971)
Yeah, if you want to take one in the 3rd or something, have at it. It's just not worth that high of a pick I don't think.

It seems teams take one high thinking he's the last piece but it just allows other holes to open up.

I wouldn't take a RB higher than the 4th. Those first 3 rounds need to be instant starters, preferably on defense.

I get that people think RB is a need - it isn't. They're committed, both contractually and playing time-wise, to Williams.

htismaqe 01-29-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14080042)
I really think the biggest offensive game-changer this team could add would be a big-time TE.

You want to see this run game take a step forward, allow us to play 75% of the time in 12 personnel. The team plays so much from the shotgun that it's hard to incorporate the FB as much without telegraphing what you're doing or fundamentally altering the character and timing of the offense by working under center.

But when you're in 12 personnel, you essentially have the modern day 'pro set' by having that extra blocker in there, he's just there in the form of a TE instead of a FB. And with as much motion as we run, you could effectively have him blocking from the backfield if you wanted.

The best way (schematically) for this running game to be truly dangerous would be to make it more powerful and less predictable. The only way to do both of those things is with a TE that is a plus run-blocker and dangerous in the pattern. That would allow us to come out in 12 personnel most of the time and give opposing defenses no obvious tells. To me the best combination of those traits is probably Hockenson but I think Smith is potentially so dynamic in the pattern that merely credible as a run-blocker and terrifying as a pass-catcher puts him ahead of the Iowa kids.

Smith, Hockenson, or Fant - any of them opposite of Kelce would be devastating. You summed it up perfectly.

RunKC 01-29-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14080042)

Know what’s interesting? Last year Terez (who I think is one of the best sources for Chiefs news/rumors etc) was talking a lot about the Chiefs possibly taking a TE in rd 2. He even mocked that to them.

I think that is a real possibility.

O.city 01-29-2019 05:58 PM

Is terry beckner jr an option in this new defense?

kccrow 01-29-2019 08:07 PM

I really like Josh Oliver out of San Jose State at TE and he should be there at the end of 2. I doubt at the end of 3, where I'd prefer the Chiefs took one, but you never know.

Would not go TE nor RB in round 1.