ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Report: Chiefs leaning towards franchise tagging Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352533)

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:00 PM

Call me crazy - but since this is the non-exclusive franchise tag - Sneed can seek a new contract with another team - the Chiefs have the right to match and keep him or decline and get 2 1st round picks as compensation.

If this were an exclusive franchise tag Sneed would be barred from speaking with other teams and it would be up to the Chiefs to seek trade suitors....so all this trade compensation talk is for naught?

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:04 PM

Quote:

The franchise tag is a one-year contract that every NFL team is allowed to issue once per offseason. It allows a franchise to strategically retain a player on a guaranteed deal with a non-negotiated salary. It can only be used on players set to become unrestricted free agents. Here are the two types of franchise tags:

Exclusive tags prohibit a player from negotiating with another team and guarantee the player a salary based on the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position during that current year, or for 120 percent of the player’s previous salary, whichever number is higher.

Non-exclusive tags allow a player to negotiate with other teams. If a player on a non-exclusive tag agrees to a deal with a new team, the original team can match it or refuse and be awarded two first-round picks as compensation. The salary on a non-exclusive tag is determined by the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position from the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or for 120 percent of the player’s previous salary, whichever number is higher.
The combination of a cheaper salary and the steep price of two first-round picks has made the non-exclusive tag the more popular option for teams to use.
https://theathletic.com/4219776/2024...es-definition/

Dunerdr 02-28-2024 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17421952)
Call me crazy - but since this is the non-exclusive franchise tag - Sneed can seek a new contract with another team - the Chiefs have the right to match and keep him or decline and get 2 1st round picks as compensation.

If this were an exclusive franchise tag Sneed would be barred from speaking with other teams and it would be up to the Chiefs to seek trade suitors....so all this trade compensation talk is for naught?

I was u der the impression they haven’t put the tag on officially but intend to. So he’s technically a chief who’s been given permission to seek a trade.

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17421961)
I was u der the impression they haven’t put the tag on officially but intend to. So he’s technically a chief who’s been given permission to seek a trade.

If they didn't tag him he would be a FA and free to sign else where?

Dunerdr 02-28-2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17421966)
If they didn't tag him he would be a FA and free to sign else where?

They have until march 5 to place the tag. Hes technically team controlled until then.

Monticore 02-28-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17421959)

Not sure you can trade the player if it’s the non inclusive tag , he either sign’s elsewhere where can match or he plays on the tag at a reduced rate.

BigRedChief 02-28-2024 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17421961)

Right, the rule says we get 2 #1’s but that’s not happening. Either make a deal with the Chiefs or no Sneed.

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17421970)
They have until march 5 to place the tag. Hes technically team controlled until then.

According to Sportrac the Tag has been applied - they had until the 5th to apply the tag. I'm really thinking they are after 2 first round picks. I mean can you imagine 2 years in a row of 2 #1 picks....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-c...s-sneed-47733/

:shrug:

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monticore (Post 17421975)
Not sure you can trade the player if it’s the non inclusive tag , he either sign’s elsewhere where can match or he plays on the tag at a reduced rate.

Exactly - I think there is some misunderstanding of his "permission to seek a trade". I was listening to NFLN on my way home from work and they were all "ribbing" the Chiefs for "giving him permission". They said it was implied in the non-exclusive tag for him to seek a contract elsewhere. Now whether another team is desperate enough to add a CB at the steep cost of 2 1st round picks remains to be seen. But its a great tactic to keep him around for at least another year if they think no one will pay that

DenverChief 02-28-2024 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17421977)
Right, the rule says we get 2 #1’s but that’s not happening. Either make a deal with the Chiefs or no Sneed.

If Sneed isn't playing for us next year we will have 2 first round picks in our pocket.

Nightfyre 02-28-2024 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17421922)
Why?

Because when he is in, Jameson makes defenses move safeties, which opens up the run game and loosens the coverage on St. Brown. You don't create a hole to fill a hole, plus give up a pick to do so, let alone when selling low on a cost-controlled player.

In58men 02-28-2024 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17421986)
If Sneed isn't playing for us next year we will have 2 first round picks in our pocket.

How do you figure?

Monticore 02-28-2024 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17421986)

I don’t think they are using the non inclusive tag, open to trade and looking for 2nd round comp tells me it’s regular tag

Dunerdr 02-28-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 17421993)
How do you figure?

He’s convinced it’s the non exclusive tag.

Red Dawg 02-28-2024 07:39 PM

610 said tonight he has not been tagged yet but has the go ahead to seek a trade. Doubtful he gets the exclusive tag.