ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ****Official 2013 Weight Loss Challenge**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268338)

The Franchise 03-19-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9514536)
Coconut oil is pretty much just pure fat, but it's delicious (has a coconuty flavor though) and it's great for cooking because it has a high smoke point. I cook my eggs in it and mix it into my coffee. It makes my coffee super creamy...I also put heavy whipping creme in my coffee.

It also lubricates your intestines and makes bowel movements easier.

Cool. I just know that it's expensive as shit at my local grocery store. I might see if I can find a smaller jar for cheaper to try it out.

Buck 03-19-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9514550)
Cool. I just know that it's expensive as shit at my local grocery store. I might see if I can find a smaller jar for cheaper to try it out.

Trader Joes has it for pretty cheap.

The Franchise 03-19-2013 05:55 PM

I'll have to look there tomorrow.

lewdog 03-19-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9513135)
So you're saying cardio one day, weights the next won't make my gut smaller while building my arms and chest? I've already done this routine in the past and that's exactly what happened. I think you're over thinking this.

It is called science and he is exactly right. What you see as "building" your chest/arms, it actually the different look of your muscle with less fat on them. Muscle naturally look bigger with less fat on them. Muscle is built in a calorie surplus. If you are losing weight and in a calorie deficit, you are not really building any real amount of muscle at that time. Only way that you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time is steroids.

cdcox 03-30-2013 11:51 AM

171 today. Total of 18 lbs lost. My initial goal of 170 is within sight, but I'm going to keep going to 165 and reassess there.

Buck 03-30-2013 11:56 AM

I was 184.8 yesterday. I'll weigh in officially on Monday.

phisherman 03-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9541313)
171 today. Total of 18 lbs lost. My initial goal of 170 is within sight, but I'm going to keep going to 165 and reassess there.

Keep on going!

I started at 228 last year and my end goal was 185. I'm now at 170 and the weight just kind of keeps dropping off as I keep running more and more miles. I think I need to start eating even more. It's funny; I eat more now than I did when I was heavy. I need the energy for running!

Saulbadguy 03-30-2013 12:08 PM

174 for the month.

cdcox 03-30-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9541338)
Keep on going!

I started at 228 last year and my end goal was 185. I'm now at 170 and the weight just kind of keeps dropping off as I keep running more and more miles. I think I need to start eating even more. It's funny; I eat more now than I did when I was heavy. I need the energy for running!

I walk a little and always take the stairs, but not much else for exercise, so I really have to watch what I eat to lose weight. I've been going slow carb (basically low carb plus beans). I'm also using low fat meats when convenient to keep the calories low. I've only been hungry a few times and the cheat day keeps the cravings at bay.

When I get to my target weight I plan on dumping the cheat day, adding back fruits, some cheese, and whole grains, with maybe 2 servings of white starches and 2 dessert servings per week. If I start gaining weight I can always go back on the diet for a couple weeks to get back to my target and then reassess.

I also want to get my blood checked before I go off this so I can keep track of the effect of diet on blood chemistry.

Buck 03-31-2013 07:34 AM

Hmmm...

180.8 this morning. Quite the fluctuation. I don't know whether this is closer to my true # or if 184.8 from yesterday is.

candyman 03-31-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9514844)
It is called science and he is exactly right. What you see as "building" your chest/arms, it actually the different look of your muscle with less fat on them. Muscle naturally look bigger with less fat on them. Muscle is built in a calorie surplus. If you are losing weight and in a calorie deficit, you are not really building any real amount of muscle at that time. Only way that you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time is steroids.

Then how do you explain my ability to do more reps and my increased bench max?

lewdog 03-31-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9543342)

Strength has very little to do with muscle and is more about neuronal firing patterns for the movement you practice every time you hit the gym. I have been gaining strength on squats, deads and bench for the past 6 months and haven't gained a pound because I am not eating to gain muscle, which takes a calorie surplus.

lewdog 03-31-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9543342)

And I can't tell if you are here to get help from those who know or if you already know it all? It shouldn't surprise you that there are a few here who have degrees in this sort of field, practice what we preach and even compete in weighlifting competitions. I am not here to toot my own horn but to really clear up so many myths that the fitness "industry" has told to make a quick buck. It really is simpler than anyone really thinks.

I would gladly be of assistance to anyone on this board who is here to get serious about getting in shape, stronger, leaner or anything in between.

candyman 03-31-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9543350)
And I can't tell if you are here to get help from those who know or if you already know it all?

Not tryying to come off that way, just assumed when I workout and my arms get bigger around/bench increases that I must be gaining muscle. So it's not possible to lose your gut and build your arms/chest at the same time? Because my diet, cardio every other day, and weights on the other days have equated to that for the last few years. I let myself go all winter every year, arms get smaller, chest gets flatter, gut gets bigger...and weight goes up.

cdcox 03-31-2013 09:25 AM

I'm pretty sure when I was cycling a lot my thighs got larger while my body weight went down. My jeans were tighter in the thighs. I was doing nothing to build my upper body at the time so I wonder the same thing as candyman.