ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

kcxiv 08-09-2009 12:58 AM

I am going a few years back watching OLD SCHOOL....Your my boy BLUE!

KCChiefsMan 08-09-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5959610)
Is Jackie Earl Haley on his way to becoming one of the greatest unsung actors ever? I mean, in my adult life, I've designated that spot to Michael Wincott, but Haley seems damn determined to fight for the title.

I'd love to see them do a movie together in the same way that I've always thought it would be cool for Woods and Walken to do one in which you had two bad guys trying to out-do each other in the most dark, and horrifically comic way.

ya, I can see that. He was the bad-ass kid in bad news bears right? I'll be interested to see how he does as the new Freddy Krueger.

patteeu 08-09-2009 06:30 AM

I'm surprised that the reaction in this thread to Fanboys was as lukewarm as it was. Maybe that helped lower my expectations, but I was surprised at how good it turned out to be. LOTS of funny parallels with the original starwars trilogy and quite a few interesting cameos. Some of the extras on the DVD are worth watching too.

Like KcMizzou said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5772394)
Fanboys was cool. Gochiefs has got to see it. (Any geek, for that matter.)

blaise 08-09-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 5958671)
Not even close, not even a decade's worth of close.

And anyone who likes him in the least owe themselves 'A History of Violence' and 'Eastern Promises.'

He's going to be the star in The Road, which comes out in the fall, too.

KCUnited 08-09-2009 08:49 AM

Watched Weapons last night, eh, I was 18 when Kids came out. Hard to come close to that. Indy cliche, lots of super close up facial shots, with not heard everyday soundtracks. Meh.

Jenson71 08-09-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5958484)
I wonder what movie that you never heard about nor care about that Jenson71 will report on next?
(jk Jenson)

BTW I want to see Inglourious Bastards.

You're an inglourious bastard. I spend quality time on my reviews! I only do it for your alls pleasure, too!

A couple of movies I have coming up that I'll be watching are The Ninth Day, Diary of Anne Frank, and Ordet so it looks like any way going you are all in for a treat.

Reaper16 08-09-2009 04:01 PM

Star Trek was very enjoyable. Yes, I just saw it for the first time today. Hooray for $2 movie houses.

Buehler445 08-09-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5960503)
Star Trek was very enjoyable. Yes, I just saw it for the first time today. Hooray for $2 movie houses.

Wow. I even saw it in theaters. And I live in BFE.

Fairplay 08-09-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5960488)
You're an inglourious bastard. I spend quality time on my reviews! I only do it for your alls pleasure, too!

A couple of movies I have coming up that I'll be watching are The Ninth Day, Diary of Anne Frank, and Ordet so it looks like any way going you are all in for a treat.

Do we have to read the reviews Jenson71 ?

:(:rolleyes: AND :Poke:

KCUnited 08-09-2009 08:39 PM

Finally saw Watchmen (I generally dislike people so I don't do theaters.) It was awesome, and I've read the book more than once. The ground they covered in the introduction was incredible and very well done. My one nitpicky complaint was the soundtrack, while I thought Everybody Wants To Rule The World subtley playing in the lobby of Adrian's office was brilliant, I hated that they put Hendrix in there. Yes, I can hear Jimi, I'm just not a fan of putting a song everybody's heard a million times in a movie, just me though.

Reaper16 08-09-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5961055)
Finally saw Watchmen (I generally dislike people so I don't do theaters.) It was awesome, and I've read the book more than once. The ground they covered in the introduction was incredible and very well done. My one nitpicky complaint was the soundtrack, while I thought Everybody Wants To Rule The World subtley playing in the lobby of Adrian's office was brilliant, I hated that they put Hendrix in there. Yes, I can hear Jimi, I'm just not a fan of putting a song everybody's heard a million times in a movie, just me though.

The soundtrack is a divisive aspect of the movie. I find more and more that I like it. Why? Well, just as the graphic novel is a commentary on comic books, the movie adaptation needed to be a commentary on comic book/superhero/action movies. That's why the costumes were altered to look more "modern." On the same line, the use of popular music is meant to play with the way it is used in other superhero or action movies.

KCUnited 08-09-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5961061)
The soundtrack is a divisive aspect of the movie. I find more and more that I like it. Why? Well, just as the graphic novel is a commentary on comic books, the movie adaptation needed to be a commentary on comic book/superhero/action movies. That's why the costumes were altered to look more "modern." On the same line, the use of popular music is meant to play with the way it is used in other superhero or action movies.

That's my problem. Watchmen wasn't like other popular comic book/superhero/action stories and the soundtrack didn't showcase that. I haven't seen an exact track list, but in the end it reminded me of the Forrest Gump soundtrack which had all these classics on it. Just wouldn't have been my choice.

Reaper16 08-09-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5961068)
That's my problem. Watchmen wasn't like other popular comic book/superhero/action stories and the soundtrack didn't showcase that. I haven't seen an exact track list, but in the end it reminded me of the Forrest Gump soundtrack which had all these classics on it. Just wouldn't have been my choice.

Watchmen, in either form, indeed was not like other comics/comic movies. BUT, aesthetically and stylistically, it HAD to share characteristics with other works in the medium in order to be able to comment on them. The graphic novel looks like other comics, and that's partly why it is successful in flipping the entire medium on its head.

I wouldn't have picked every song that they did, either, but I understand (and support) the thinking behind the artistic choice.

KCUnited 08-09-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5961084)
Watchmen, in either form, indeed was not like other comics/comic movies. BUT, aesthetically and stylistically, it HAD to share characteristics with other works in the medium in order to be able to comment on them. The graphic novel looks like other comics, and that's partly why it is successful in flipping the entire medium on its head.

I wouldn't have picked every song that they did, either, but I understand (and support) the thinking behind the artistic choice.

Maybe, I'm not that deep. I just felt like I was listening to Forrest Gump when I wanted to be listening to The Crow.

Reaper16 08-09-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5961090)
Maybe, I'm not that deep. I just felt like I was listening to Forrest Gump when I wanted to be listening to The Crow.

That's fair. My initial reaction was to balk at the music choices for how they often clashed with the scene. But... I am that deep (I'm a literature scholar), and the people behind the movie are, too.