ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Pioli Zombie 07-26-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5926986)
Ha! Evil my ass. I've got burrito-farts that are more evil than that teeny-bopper piece of shit!

You must be a big High School Musical fan. Which is your favorite, 1,2, or 3?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 5927035)
You must be a big High School Musical fan. Which is your favorite, 1,2, or 3?
Posted via Mobile Device

HSM 4: Jason's Revenge.

Pioli Zombie 07-26-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5927049)
HSM 4: Jason's Revenge.

HSM 4: The oral rape
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 5927105)
HSM 4: The oral rape
Posted via Mobile Device

HSM4: Master My Skinflute.

Pioli Zombie 07-26-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5927111)
HSM4: Master My Skinflute.

HSM4: Ryan gets it stuck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay 07-26-2009 10:31 PM

Raised on riots , i beg and plead do you know what

HSM5 is going to be called?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5927224)
Raised on riots , i beg and plead do you know what

HSM5 is going to be called?

HSM5: Statutory Sonata.

Jenson71 07-26-2009 11:45 PM

Tonight I watched Donnie Darko for the first time.

I have heard that you either love it or hate it. I don't understand why, and I don't put myself in either category. There is simply no reason to hate the movie -- it's not bad. The directing is engaging, especially when Donnie goes into his visions. The actors are wonderful for the most part, including the lead. Worm holes, hypnosis, a creepy wandering recluse, and questions of life and death all are fine ingredients. Yet they don't add up to something greater than their sum. Things are touched on all too briefly to make any real lasting importance (what is the sense or significance of the recluse's "we all die alone?").

I don't understand why he has to die. The film tells us because he wants to save his girlfriend's life and not kill Frankie, but surely those could be avoided as well as his sacrificial death. A person who could go back in time could orchestrate things nearly perfectly if they did it enough times, like those parts in Groundhog's Day. Maybe that's too much of a burden though, and opting for death is easier. Or it's a nice way to end a story. Or I don't know enough about the physical sciences to make sense of it all. I understand well though that we can't see into the future, we can't get into wormholes (if there even are such things) and there certainly is no mechanism currently to get into them. Because of the absence of reality, the film lacks real emotional depth that comes with death.

That's not to say nothing is real in the movie. Problems in school, becoming aware of more subtle social and human issues (like how some of the most zealous can be the greatest sinners), and mental illnesses are addressed as well. The parents are particularly interesting, and avoid any cliches. The teacher's battle over curriculum is treading overdone and unnecessary territory though.

Overall, there is enough to make it an interesting ride, but not enough to make me join the cult of die hards that find the movie brilliant and lift it to its current renowned status.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5927373)
Tonight I watched Donnie Darko for the first time.

I have heard that you either love it or hate it. I don't understand why, and I don't put myself in either category. There is simply no reason to hate the movie -- it's not bad. The directing is engaging, especially when Donnie goes into his visions. The actors are wonderful for the most part, including the lead. Worm holes, hypnosis, a creepy wandering recluse, and questions of life and death all are fine ingredients. Yet they don't add up to something greater than their sum. Things are touched on all too briefly to make any real lasting importance (what is the sense or significance of the recluse's "we all die alone?").

I don't understand why he has to die. The film tells us because he wants to save his girlfriend's life and not kill Frankie, but surely those could be avoided as well as his sacrificial death. A person who could go back in time could orchestrate things nearly perfectly if they did it enough times, like those parts in Groundhog's Day. Maybe that's too much of a burden though, and opting for death is easier. Or it's a nice way to end a story. Or I don't know enough about the physical sciences to make sense of it all. I understand well though that we can't see into the future, we can't get into wormholes (if there even are such things) and there certainly is no mechanism currently to get into them. Because of the absence of reality, the film lacks real emotional depth that comes with death.

That's not to say nothing is real in the movie. Problems in school, becoming aware of more subtle social and human issues (like how some of the most zealous can be the greatest sinners), and mental illnesses are addressed as well. The parents are particularly interesting, and avoid any cliches. The teacher's battle over curriculum is treading overdone and unnecessary territory though.

Overall, there is enough to make it an interesting ride, but not enough to make me join the cult of die hards that find the movie brilliant and lift it to its current renowned status.

You do realize that he's dead throughout the film, yes?

Jenson71 07-26-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5927378)
You do realize that he's dead throughout the film, yes?

Why would I realize that? I saw him die at the end.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5927385)
Why would I realize that? I saw him die at the end.

He died in his sleep. He never knew he was dead.

Jenson71 07-26-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5927387)
He died in his sleep. He never knew he was dead.

He didn't die when the jet engine fell on him?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5927389)
He didn't die when the jet engine fell on him?

Yes, he did die. You're familiar with how Tarantino disjointed the time line of Pulp Fiction, yes?

It's the same principal.

Jenson71 07-27-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5927393)
Yes, he did die. You're familiar with how Tarantino disjointed the time line of Pulp Fiction, yes?

It's the same principal.

So the end was the beginning?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 5927396)
So the end was the beginning?

No, it's not just cutting the scenes in a particular order ala PF or even reversing the time line; it's non-linear.

His human mind is capable of knowing only what a human mind can know. As things begin to "get strange", his mind/spirit is expanding slowly beyond it's known, physical borders because he is no longer bound by them.