ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The Fishing Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223680)

ghak99 11-27-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15977961)
I've caught a couple Northern Pike in PA and they would die from the slightest misstep when removing the hook. Are Muskie the same?

If you're talking big Pike and Musky, it's not so much removing the hook as it is how hard they fight. A lot of people who catch them are not using the right combo to get them to the boat without causing exhaustion. Missing the net on the first attempt is often a serious mistake. They will literally fight until they have nothing left and at that point they require a very quick unhook and significant reviving before you can let them go. Barbless or crimped barbs help as every second counts on a fish of that size, and some lakes even require them, but when they're played out they're just played out.

It's why a lot of the world class Pike and Musky end up getting ate by people who would normally have no intentions of eating them.

frozenchief 01-12-2022 07:37 PM

Here's a nice char I caught in SW Alaska a couple of years back:

<iframe id="reddit-embed" src="https://www.redditmedia.com/r/flyfishing/comments/s2inp6/late_september_alaska_dolly_varden_release/?ref_source=embed&amp;ref=share&amp;embed=true" sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin allow-popups" style="border: none;" height="411" width="640" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Graystoke 01-12-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 16071552)
Here's a nice char I caught in SW Alaska a couple of years back:

<iframe id="reddit-embed" src="https://www.redditmedia.com/r/flyfishing/comments/s2inp6/late_september_alaska_dolly_varden_release/?ref_source=embed&amp;ref=share&amp;embed=true" sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin allow-popups" style="border: none;" height="411" width="640" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Impressive fish. Are you throwing large streamers at that?
Sorry, I’ve never fished for Char.

frozenchief 01-12-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 16071703)
Impressive fish. Are you throwing large streamers at that?
Sorry, I’ve never fished for Char.

Actually, no. We use beads.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-13-2022 12:18 AM

Going trout fishing tomorrow in Amarillo TX

IrishChief 01-13-2022 02:58 AM

I fly fish alot here in Ireland. My area has has 2 lakes that the local fishing authority stock every year with a large amount of Rainbow and a smaller amount of Brown trout. The stockies are not generally good fighting fish when on the line but the last few years they have been excellent. Not sure the reason for that maybe new techniques at the hatchery has played a part but long may it continue. The best part of the year however is when the Salmon run (Sep & Oct) . There is a decent sized river a few Kms from our town. I tie my own flies so its always fun and deeply rewarding when i land a big one, no better feeling. The fight from a Salmon is one of a kind and its hard to get that buzz back when the run is over. Its been quite noticeable the past few years the later and later the Salmon have been running. Over 5 years ago we would be fishing them August & September and now its September into late October. Could be something to do with the climate or maybe its localised factors. Have yous noticed any changes in the USA?

frozenchief 01-13-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishChief (Post 16071795)
I fly fish alot here in Ireland. My area has has 2 lakes that the local fishing authority stock every year with a large amount of Rainbow and a smaller amount of Brown trout. The stockies are not generally good fighting fish when on the line but the last few years they have been excellent. Not sure the reason for that maybe new techniques at the hatchery has played a part but long may it continue. The best part of the year however is when the Salmon run (Sep & Oct) . There is a decent sized river a few Kms from our town. I tie my own flies so its always fun and deeply rewarding when i land a big one, no better feeling. The fight from a Salmon is one of a kind and its hard to get that buzz back when the run is over. Its been quite noticeable the past few years the later and later the Salmon have been running. Over 5 years ago we would be fishing them August & September and now its September into late October. Could be something to do with the climate or maybe its localised factors. Have yous noticed any changes in the USA?

I’ve been fishing in SW Alaska for >20 years and I don’t see that much of a variance in timing. The runs vary in quality from year to year depending on weather conditions during the year of spawning and survivability rate. So if one year there’s not as much rain, that can impact the number of eggs that survive. Historically, the Katmai eruption coated many streams with ash and soot and devastated salmon runs for years but that was a long time ago.

We also get runs of several different types of salmon. Largest runs are reds (sockeye) and those runs number in the millions. We don’t target them because they don’t take a fly so well. Silvers (coho) will and they’re a hoot on a fly as well as good eating. Kings (chinook) are good too but their numbers are tiny compared to the reds. We instead target rainbows, char (Dolly Varden), and grayling. The rainbows eat salmon eggs so we get monster rainbows. My largest rainbow was 32” and every year we get several >25”. Last year the largest one caught by someone in our group was 28”.

So our salmon runs are important but oddly it’s because they are such an important food source for our target fish.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-13-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 16071769)
Going trout fishing tomorrow in Amarillo TX

AND Skunked!

Rasputin 01-13-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 16073089)
AND Skunked!

Ah shucks I was rooting for you.

The weather is so nice right now I'm itching to go fishing but I know if I do it will snow and blizzard just that day at the lake. This is a soft winter but I like winters to last from November too mid February and March 1st better be spring. Then mid March I like to start casting. April test the waters with Kayak if not too cold because I don't want to flip in cold water early May through June are my best months before it gets too hot in July and August fish don't bite as much but that's when I night fish.

Megatron96 01-30-2022 05:32 PM

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...fQ&oe=6219CC46

Personal best. About 25 lbs.

ptlyon 01-30-2022 07:36 PM

Nice carp!

Easy 6 01-30-2022 07:47 PM

Nice looking canal, what was your bait... corn, doughball?

ptlyon 01-30-2022 07:56 PM

Carp is delicious btw

Easy 6 01-30-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 16120285)
Carp is delicious btw

Yeah, if you like needles shoved into your gums :)

ptlyon 01-30-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16120301)
Yeah, if you like needles shoved into your gums :)

Must've ate tiny carp