ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Shared fences and eminent domain (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315439)

Skyy God 05-20-2018 10:36 AM

Seriously, though, just run the Roundup cleanup plan by your neighbor.

I tend to doubt he objects.

srvy 05-20-2018 10:55 AM

Looks like some of that is grapevine. Roundup is gonna get laughed at by grapvine its like the terminator. It will be back and will never stop.

Buehler445 05-20-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13562951)
Looks like some of that is grapevine. Roundup is gonna get laughed at by grapvine its like the terminator. It will be back and will never stop.

Saw it off and soak the stump with 2-4D or tordon and you’ll get it.

srvy 05-20-2018 12:43 PM

The best thing you can do is bite the bullet and get a legal boundary survey by a licensed surveyor. Have pins recovered and reset if missing with encroachments shown to yours or adjacent properties. Then have fence line stakes set along property line with inter visibility. This will show your serious about your property rights and end any adverse possession nonsense. It will be an expense but what is your land worth to you.

Also a mortgage survey is just that its not a legal survey and will not hold up in court its not a boundary survey and doesn't have an official seal and signature with license number of a registered land surveyor for the state performed. Its imo a fraud perpetrated by the mortgage lending industry to satisfy title insurance companies. Look at your certificate closely a legal survey will show corners set and what was set or found. It will clearly state that a legal boundary survey was made with date and a signed and sealed certificate of survey with registered land surveyors license number.

A mortgage survey in fine print will state not a boundary survey with an official looking seal. Scrupulous surveyors do this because its easy money for the out the garage door surveyor. He can do 5 to 10 in a day at 100 to 150 a pop for a mortgage company and it satisfies a title insurance company.

mlyonsd 05-20-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13562963)
Saw it off and soak the stump with 2-4D or tordon and you’ll get it.

Tordon is death in a bottle to annoying zombie plants.

srvy 05-20-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13562277)
Contact your mortgage company and title ins. Co and get the site survey that was done to get title insurance. Review it, find the stakes (paint them clearly and then file a claim with them. I did that and Home Savings (MO) bought the land in question from my neighbor and covered all costs.

I would say that a letter from your title insurance co to theirs will have them knocking on your door with little delay and in a amicable manner wanting to resolve the problem.

You will get nowhere with a claim for maintaining a property other than your own in court but if you like legal receipts, go for it.

Bullshit I can safely and laughably say none of this happened. Cooper PLS # and State of license please.

MahiMike 05-20-2018 05:33 PM

There's a realtor term for land vertically to the sky. Forget the name. But basically he can go vertical but not horizontal.

You should ask him nicely to take it down. Or you could put your own shrubs up to hide his.

fan4ever 05-20-2018 05:41 PM

Ever see the movie "There will be blood"? Drill at an angle from your property under the root system of the annoying plants on his side of the property, slide in a pvc pipe and pour in herbicide.

srvy 05-20-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13563425)
There's a realtor term for land vertically to the sky. Forget the name. But basically he can go vertical but not horizontal.

You should ask him nicely to take it down. Or you could put your own shrubs up to hide his.

There are aerial easements where a building is built near a bridge or highway overpass?

As for trees that is dependent on State statutes but most states a trees ownership is center line trunk at a point 3 feet above ground level in relationship to the property line.

I dont know about brush and undergrowth. I do think that where property lines and fences are involved most cities and municipalities require owners and adjoiners maintain each side along really all their property. Overgrown property is considered blight and a rodent nuisance. In KC they can issue citations fines and contract a landscape service to bring to code and mail you the bill.

threebag 05-20-2018 06:50 PM

Looks like you should have resolved some of this issue 14 years ago. I know that doesn't help now, but it feels good typing it out.

srvy 05-20-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13561696)
I have some problematic neighbors that allow a their weed and bush overgrowth to constantly take over the shared fence in my back yard. I trim this shit back multiple times per year and am getting rather sick of it invading my yard. What's really aggravating is that five feet of my yard is on their side of the fence. Unfortunately the fence has been there since before we moved in. It's a battle I'm tired of fighting.

I'm curious what others in similar situations have done. I've tried talking to them before but none of them give a shit since the growth from their weeds is on my side. Not their problem and all that BS.

Picture attached for reference. I don't think antifreeze and aids infected needles will help here. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e22852d074.jpg

Every time I see this photo it reminds me of the lot lines in Mission Hills Ks. the high rent district in Metro KC, they love foliage along their lot lines. I have surveyed to numerous properties in that area and hate every one of them.

I once was standing on a stone retaining wall locating it along a lot line that abutted Ewing Kauffmans property. A woman cam out screaming and cussing followed by the man Ewing who proceeded to return insults and cussing back. The woman jumped into a light blue Mercedes and peeled wheels down the drive to the street and could hear it racing down the street. Later talking with the caretaker of the property he told us it was the daughter and this was a common occurrence. He said most of the Mission Hill'ers considered the outsiders and new money and that their property was gaudy with the blue awnings. :D

KS Smitty 05-20-2018 08:00 PM

I have been told that adverse possession laws do not have effect within any incorporated city in the state of Kansas. Property lines are set by the platting of the properties and even if a neighbor maintains that property it does not give them legal possession. Of course that was probably 20 years ago.

Can you file a nuisance complaint with the code enforcement office? Not sure how quickly that could get the problem solved or if they are in violation of any code but it's an option.

srvy 05-20-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 13563565)
I have been told that adverse possession laws do not have effect within any incorporated city in the state of Kansas. Property lines are set by the platting of the properties and even if a neighbor maintains that property it does not give them legal possession. Of course that was probably 20 years ago.

Can you file a nuisance complaint with the code enforcement office? Not sure how quickly that could get the problem solved or if they are in violation of any code but it's an option.

Adverse possession in Kansas is 15 years and similar to most other states. Honestly its difficult to pull this off in any crowded urban area. If this happens to anyone always kindly let your neighbor know that they are over their boundary. If this doesnt work file Quite Title. This is a a judicial declaration that you own the land, and your neighbor or other encroacher does not. But as always know where your property is and be able to prove it.

007 06-04-2018 02:38 PM

Long dayhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3fe0de6a2e.jpg

displacedinMN 06-04-2018 08:11 PM

Have the feeling mine is going to put up a white VINYL fence on the property line.
What an ass. Thanks for the feelings of others. Dick.

007 06-04-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13581442)
Have the feeling mine is going to put up a white VINYL fence on the property line.
What an ass. Thanks for the feelings of others. Dick.

Is this the one with three trailers? What an odd choice of fence.

displacedinMN 06-04-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581460)
Is this the one with three trailers? What an odd choice of fence.

Yup. And I know he will build it so he can get his car hauler in the back yard.
I may have to plant some trees on the prop line to prevent his trailer from ever seeing the back.

the trailer with the 'broken axle' is suddenly gone.

Just want I wanted. Spend 400k on a house to look at a ****ing white vinyl fence from 3/4 of my windows.

Checking city codes to see if it can be prevented
Fences must be at least 5% open for passage of air, light, and drainage.

srvy 06-04-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13581528)
Yup. And I know he will build it so he can get his car hauler in the back yard.
I may have to plant some trees on the prop line to prevent his trailer from ever seeing the back.

the trailer with the 'broken axle' is suddenly gone.

Just want I wanted. Spend 400k on a house to look at a ****ing white vinyl fence from 3/4 of my windows.

Checking city codes to see if it can be prevented
Fences must be at least 5% open for passage of air, light, and drainage.

Home owners association?

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 09:14 PM

Freely admit I didn't read more than a few posts in the thread, but let me get this straight. Your neighbor allows the weeds to grow along a shared fence that you claim is on your property. If it's on your property, why isn't he bitching about you not maintaining the weeds? the **** don't you maintain the weeds and quit bitching about your neighbor?

I'm pretty sure if you told him you would pay for a new fence if you could move it back a few feet and you would either remove or maintain the weeds and bushes, he would probably kiss your ass and thank you removing his headache. Nobody gives a shit about 3 feet of property. He just doesn't want to bust his ass chopping hedge. Nor does he want to pay for a new fence, because that shit's expensive. And I don't blame him.

LoneWolf 06-04-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581563)
Freely admit I didn't read more than a few posts in the thread, but let me get this straight. Your neighbor allows the weeds to grow along a shared fence that you claim is on your property. If it's on your property, why isn't he bitching about you not maintaining the weeds? the **** don't you maintain the weeds and quit bitching about your neighbor?

I'm pretty sure if you told him you would pay for a new fence if you could move it back a few feet and you would either remove or maintain the weeds and bushes, he would probably kiss your ass and thank you removing his headache. Nobody gives a shit about 3 feet of property. He just doesn't want to bust his ass chopping hedge. Nor does he want to pay for a new fence, because that shit's expensive. And I don't blame him.

You could have stopped your post at your first comma.

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13581576)

I read the OP. I assume from your jackass remark that he has offered to pay for a new fence and mentioned it somewhere in this thread?

LoneWolf 06-04-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581600)
I read the OP. I assume from your jackass remark that he has offered to pay for a new fence and mentioned it somewhere in this thread?

Read the ****ing thread, jackass.

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13581611)
Read the ****ing thread, jackass.

Read the thread. I see a lot of shit about eminent domain and hiring surveyors and lawyers and shit, but not a word about offering to pay for a new fence and getting rid of their yard work headache.

So go **** yourself.

007 06-04-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13581576)

If you actually read the thread you would know that I don't give two shits about the property line. Because the fence has been there since before I moved in 15 years ago, that ship has sailed a long time ago. All I care about is the neighbors doing their part on their side of the fence.

George Liquor 06-04-2018 10:01 PM

I'm just pissed you used the word "problematic".

LoneWolf 06-04-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581637)
If you actually read the thread you would know that I don't give two shits about the property line. Because the fence has been there since before I moved in 15 years ago, that ship has sailed a long time ago. All I care about is the neighbors doing their part on their side of the fence.

Not sure why you quoted my post. I agree with you and understand your position very clearly. My post was aimed at Beef Supremes post basically calling you a lazy neighbor and that this is entirely your fault.

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

I read that part before my first post. I just offered you the only solution likely to get you anywhere. They aren't going to bust their asses chopping hedge. You know how big of a pain that is first hand. They certainly aren't going to do whatever it takes to help you maintain your side of the fence, nor do i wager you want them in your backyard trimming shit anyway. Offer to pay to remove the brush problem completely and pay for a new privacy fence, or be prepared to live with the current situation.

Or hire lawyers and end up in the same boat anyway, less the cost of the lawyers. You ain't getting them to pay for that shit no matter how much you wish it.

srvy 06-04-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581563)

You dont own property do you? I believe its 5 feet and people go to court and spend 1000s of dollars over 6 inches of property. Its my understanding the fence was there when he bought the lot and he has a certificate showing ths the fence is 5 feet over the line into his property. That he has is piece of paper without the pins at the corners so he needs those before even considering moving the fence. The 5 foot strip is more valuable that a fence considering the price of urban property and he is paying the taxes on that land not the neighbor. I think he just doesnt want to be a dick to his neighbor but he might have to. Honestly id get a survey with fence line stakes and begin the process of moving the fence.

srvy 06-04-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Why do you feel that ship has sailed you own that property. most fenceline laws that you have the right to maintain each side the fence especially if a tree is growing into your fence and likely to cause damage. In the case you own that land he doesnt seem interested to maintain your property if he did that would be open and notorious and the clock could start running on that. Anyway its your problem do as you see fit your post seemed to be asking advice though.

007 06-04-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13581649)
Not sure why you quoted my post. I agree with you and understand your position very clearly. My post was aimed at Beef Supremes post basically calling you a lazy neighbor and that this is entirely your fault.

Oops. Sorry about that. thought I was quoting him. LMAO

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13581665)
You dont own property do you? I believe its 5 feet and people go to court and spend 1000s of dollars over 6 inches of property. Its my understanding the fence was there when he bought the lot and he has a certificate showing ths the fence is 5 feet over the line into his property. That he has is piece of paper without the pins at the corners so he needs those before even considering moving the fence. The 5 foot strip is more valuable that a fence considering the price of urban property and he is paying the taxes on that land not the neighbor. I think he just doesnt want to be a dick to his neighbor but he might have to. Honestly id get a survey with fence line stakes and begin the process of moving the fence.

I do own property. I am in my third house. So your solution is spend thousands on attorneys and if he wins he still probably has to pay for the new fence and digging out that brush with a backhoe.

Or he could just offer to pay to solve the problem, and see if his neighbor is willing to let him get rid of a yard work headache he obviously doesn't want.

007 06-04-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581652)
I read that part before my first post. I just offered you the only solution likely to get you anywhere. They aren't going to bust their asses chopping hedge. You know how big of a pain that is first hand. They certainly aren't going to do whatever it takes to help you maintain your side of the fence, nor do i wager you want them in your backyard trimming shit anyway. Offer to pay to remove the brush problem completely and pay for a new privacy fence, or be prepared to live with the current situation.

Or hire lawyers and end up in the same boat anyway, less the cost of the lawyers. You ain't getting them to pay for that shit no matter how much you wish it.

JFC. All I want from them is to maintain their side of the fence. Because they don't do anything with the shit that is within 1 foot of the fence on their side it makes more work for me on my side. I never once said I want them to come to my side of the ****ing fence and do my work.

007 06-04-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13581680)
Why do you feel that ship has sailed you own that property. most fenceline laws that you have the right to maintain each side the fence especially if a tree is growing into your fence and likely to cause damage. In the case you own that land he doesnt seem interested to maintain your property if he did that would be open and notorious and the clock could start running on that. Anyway its your problem do as you see fit your post seemed to be asking advice though.

It was and wasn't. I was more looking for advice on dealing with the weeds issue since its the crap on the other side creating problems. I shouldn't have even mention the part where my property line was technically on the other side of the fence. It was never really my complaint. The thread took a turn there and I tried to steer it back.

srvy 06-04-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581682)
I do own property. I am in my third house. So your solution is spend thousands on attorneys and if he wins he still probably has to pay for the new fence and digging out that brush with a backhoe.

Or he could just offer to pay to solve the problem, and see if his neighbor is willing to let him get rid of a yard work headache he obviously doesn't want.

Other than your family your property is your most valued possession. Why do you feel he will need a attorney?

007 06-04-2018 10:36 PM

I'm hoping to sell in 5 years anyway. The next owner can deal with the property line headache if they want to. LMAO That isn't want I cared about here.

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581685)
JFC. All I want from them is to maintain their side of the fence. Because they don't do anything with the shit that is within 1 foot of the fence on their side it makes more work for me on my side. I never once said I want them to come to my side of the ****ing fence and do my work.

And i am telling you that you can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first. They aren't going to maintain their side of the fence. They have made that clear.

srvy 06-04-2018 10:41 PM

I see but I can tell that this is going to be a battle of overgrowth as long as you live there. That brush along the fence will mature into trees growing into the fence.

007 06-04-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13581705)
I see but I can tell that this is going to be a battle of overgrowth as long as you live there. That brush along the fence will mature into trees growing into the fence.

When that happens, I can have the electric company cut them down because we have power lines there.

007 06-04-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581701)
And i am telling you that you can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first. They aren't going to maintain their side of the fence. They have made that clear.

You realize you are offering nothing to the conversation.

Beef Supreme 06-04-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581735)
You realize you are offering nothing to the conversation.

Sorry. Everyone else was suggesting you litigate a solution and demand your property lines be restored to you through surveyors and lawyers. I just suggested offering to pay to fix the problem. Which you would end up having to do anyway after demanding your property lines be respected.

Anything short of one of those two solutions will offer nothing to the conversation either. So, sadly i guess you're ****ed.

007 06-04-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581746)
Sorry. Everyone else was suggesting you litigate a solution and demand your property lines be restored to you through surveyors and lawyers. I just suggested offering to pay to fix the problem. Which you would end up having to do anyway after demanding your property lines be respected.

Anything short of one of those two solutions will offer nothing to the conversation either. So, sadly i guess you're ****ed.

Well, I don't have the money available to waste on litigation and I don't feel those extra few feet offer anything for my property. I could press the issue and remove the fence but I'm sure the neighbors would then try to litigate themselves, which I don't have money to be wasting for.

either way, is it really asking that much for them to do their part?

kepp 06-04-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581751)
Well, I don't have the money available to waste on litigation and I don't feel those extra few feet offer anything for my property. I could press the issue and remove the fence but I'm sure the neighbors would then try to litigate themselves, which I don't have money to be wasting for.

either way, is it really asking that much for them to do their part?

No, it isn't too much to ask of them, but people are jerks. I think you had valid answers within the first few posts, but the problem is they all cost $$.

Get it surveyed, tear down fence, build new one (or don't). It sucks that they won't help out, but since it's all on your property they don't have to.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 06-04-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 13581753)
No, it isn't too much to ask of them, but people are jerks. I think you had valid answers within the first few posts, but the problem is they all cost $$.

Get it surveyed, tear down fence, build new one (or don't). It sucks that they won't help out, but since it's all on your property they don't have to.
Posted via Mobile Device

As soon as one of them tells me, "not my problem, its on your property", then I will go over there with my chainsaw and cut all that shit down and tear down the fence.

Bugeater 06-05-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581756)
As soon as one of them tells me, "not my problem, its on your property", then I will go over there with my chainsaw and cut all that shit down and tear down the fence.

I got this.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...7c&oe=5B78BAD4

007 06-05-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13581764)

Got quite a bit torn down today just using a sawzall. Now I just have to figure out how to keep these stumps from generating more crap. They were all on the fenceline with enough on my side to allow me to cut them.

Bugeater 06-05-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13581772)
Got quite a bit torn down today just using a sawzall. Now I just have to figure out how to keep these stumps from generating more crap. They were all on the fenceline with enough on my side to allow me to cut them.

Depending on what it is, it may require digging up and removing the root system. I had to do that with some bullshit the old man had growing in the rock wall by the driveway and on the north side of the house.

kepp 06-05-2018 12:45 AM

Quote:

I saw some stuff at Menards (I think) called stump remover. Apparently just drill holes and pour it in and let it go to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

displacedinMN 06-05-2018 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13581560)
Home owners association?

no. Strict city codes.

displacedinMN 06-05-2018 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 13581783)
I saw some stuff at Menards (I think) called stump remover. Apparently just drill holes and pour it in and let it go to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've done that. Good stuff.

If you are in the city-will they come out and survey for free?

When you do decide to sell-that will trigger a survey-and that may be the end of the discussion.

srvy 06-05-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13581812)
no. Strict city codes.

Beat him to the punch put a fence you can live with on the line with your adjoiner before he can put up his gaudy fence.

displacedinMN 06-05-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13581817)
Beat him to the punch put a fence you can live with on the line with your adjoiner before he can put up his gaudy fence.

Thought about it. Hate fences and not willing to spend the money.
But I will beat the shit out of his fence. I wonder if I can paint my side of the fence?

He will sell in 5 years anyway. Just have that feeling.

srvy 06-05-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13581814)
I've done that. Good stuff.

If you are in the city-will they come out and survey for free?

When you do decide to sell-that will trigger a survey-and that may be the end of the discussion.

City cant perform boundary surveys on private property. Its a conflict of interest.

That stump remover is just potassium nitrate you can just drill holes and pour in epsom salt or a ice melt with potassium chloride also.

Sale of home will trigger a lone or mortgage survey warning its not a legal survey. Loan companies use that as it satisfies tittle insurance. If you want a legal survey you have to pay for it extra.

Mike in SW-MO 06-05-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Tordon RTU

Available at Orscheln or almost any other farm supply. Not the first time mentioned. Squirt on fresh cuts & it does not grow back.

cooper barrett 06-05-2018 04:52 PM

why don't the Hatfields just start shooting at the McCoys?

Myself, I would go out on Sunday morning at daybreak with a Sawsall and address the fence on my property. But I would have those pins located before I did.

1COOLDOG 06-05-2018 04:54 PM

Harvest the weeds, roll 'em up in some big doobies, and smoke 'em in front of them. That'll learn 'em some lessons for sure!!

SAUTO 06-05-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13581652)

Or the neighbors think its his yard from the survey when they bought their house and wonder why he doesn't take care of his yard better.

I wonder what forum their thread about him is on

007 06-05-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13582840)
Or the neighbors think its his yard from the survey when they bought their house and wonder why he doesn't take care of his yard better.

I wonder what forum their thread about him is on

NOt the case. When we moved in, I spoke with both neighbors and both acted as if its their yard. Again, I don't care about the 3-5 feet. But I do care that they don't do anything on their side of the fence. One of them even asked me to not touch the vine on the fence because that was their way of having a privacy fence.

007 06-05-2018 10:21 PM

I've considered just putting up my own privacy fence 3 inches away from the chain link fence but have a feeling that would just cause other issues.

tmax63 06-06-2018 06:19 AM

I understand you don't care about the 3-5 feet. I would propose that getting this straightened out now with accurate surveys and boundaries marked will make your property sell better/easier when/if you decide to move. Nobody wants to buy a boundary dispute and neighbor problems if they have a choice.

Chiefnj2 06-06-2018 06:26 AM

Get your property re-assessed since you've lost 5' x ?? feet of yardage along the one side of your house.

threebag 06-06-2018 08:28 AM

"Hey Honey, that Beta that just bought the house next door, he expects me to do his yard work... LMAO. Now go grab me a beer and make me a sandwich"

SAUTO 06-06-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13583198)
NOt the case. When we moved in, I spoke with both neighbors and both acted as if its their yard. Again, I don't care about the 3-5 feet. But I do care that they don't do anything on their side of the fence. One of them even asked me to not touch the vine on the fence because that was their way of having a privacy fence.

Then I would call they city and have them cited for not taking care of their yard

displacedinMN 06-06-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13583658)
Then I would call they city and have them cited for not taking care of their yard

and have it surveyed. You do not want a mess if you sell. If they do, it is their mess.

I am getting a metal detector Friday and marking the property.

cooper barrett 06-07-2018 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13584000)
and have it surveyed. You do not want a mess if you sell. If they do, it is their mess.

I am getting a metal detector Friday and marking the property.

http://barkpost.com/wp-content/uploa...ith-leg-up.jpg

mikeyis4dcats. 06-07-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13561726)
Agreed. Whatever it is called, my general understanding of the subject regarding property lines, is that once a line is established it just shifts to the other owner after a certain number of years. The fence was in before we moved in 14 years ago.

the clock restarted when you moved in. If you have maintained or mowed it even once that resets the cvlock.

007 06-07-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 13585319)
the clock restarted when you moved in. If you have maintained or mowed it even once that resets the cvlock.

So basically I'm resetting the clock every summer.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-08-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13585827)
So basically I'm resetting the clock every summer.

yes. Adverse possession only comes into play if your neighbor openly takens active possession and you obviously relinquish your claim by allowing it and not taking any steps to assert your ownership (like maintaining it).

Amnorix 06-08-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13561708)
That's the problem. Eminent domain laws would support them because of how long the fence has been in place. All of the roots for this shit is on their side. I can whack all the crap down on my side but can't stop this shit from growing.

Adverse possession.

Eminent domain is when the government takes your land to build a highway on it or whatever. That isn't this. This is adverse possesion, which is when someone openly and obviously claims someone else's land for a sufficient period of time.

displacedinMN 06-13-2019 06:08 PM

update---9 trees going in on Saturday.

007 06-13-2019 07:48 PM

Update on mine as well. Back into the jungle.

Oh, and now I have a problem with our neighbors aggressive dogs destroying our "shared" fence.

cooper barrett 06-13-2019 08:09 PM

Dude,

Call your title ins company and ask for advice... Done... then go do what you want and keep a shotgun by the door.

They will help. been there, done that.

007 06-13-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 14307498)
Dude,

Call your title ins company and ask for advice... Done... then go do what you want and keep a shotgun by the door.

They will help. been there, done that.

One thing is certain. If these dogs manage to get through and hurt my kids, there will be hell to pay.

cooper barrett 06-13-2019 09:23 PM

f you do not let them know as soon as you find out, .... do it just do it.

KS Smitty 06-13-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14307521)
One thing is certain. If these dogs manage to get through and hurt my kids, there will be hell to pay.

We had a shared fence with our neighbors (put up by my fil before they moved in) it was a 3 foot tall square wire fence that worked just fine until they got a pair of German Shepherds. The neighbors never attempted to introduce us to the dogs so of course they didn't like us next to their property and were quite aggressive, especially when the littles were over. So we told them, "hey we're taking that fence down so you're going to need to do something to keep your dogs in your yard." We now have a new 6' privacy fence between us.

It's really not a shared fence, it belongs to whoever either put it up or was there first.

007 06-13-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 14307661)
We had a shared fence with our neighbors (put up by my fil before they moved in) it was a 3 foot tall square wire fence that worked just fine until they got a pair of German Shepherds. The neighbors never attempted to introduce us to the dogs so of course they didn't like us next to their property and were quite aggressive, especially when the littles were over. So we told them, "hey we're taking that fence down so you're going to need to do something to keep your dogs in your yard." We now have a new 6' privacy fence between us.

It's really not a shared fence, it belongs to whoever either put it up or was there first.

So because they moved in after us it transfers to us? thats BS. If I put in a new fence their dogs will just destroy that one too. These people moved in about 8 years ago. Two years ago they redid their entire back yard and replaced every fence but the one next to my yard. Complete and utter crap move by them to do that. They never even approached me about sharing the cost. They clearly feel its my fence to deal with. If those dogs break through I don't feel its my fault it happened. Bugeater already helped to secure the fence some but he can tell you these dogs are ruining it too. Why should that be my responsibility?

007 06-13-2019 11:10 PM

Interesting read that seems to validate the shared fence issue.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/kansas...in-kansas.html

Bugeater 06-13-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14307791)
Interesting read that seems to validate the shared fence issue.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/kansas...in-kansas.html

Well if you're not worried about potentially pissing off your neighbors, get a "fence viewer" out to your place.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-13-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14307796)
Well if you're not worried about potentially pissing off your neighbors, get a "fence viewer" out to your place.

Had to go look up fenceviewer. Had no idea that was a thing.

007 06-13-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14307796)

I just don't like to confront people. I don't do well with it.

Bugeater 06-13-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14307805)
I just don't like to confront people. I don't do well with it.

It doesn't seem to be clear how the findings are presented to each side. But if you don't want to risk any possible backlash then you're pretty much stuck taking care of it yourself. Again, if it was me, I'd do an ugly ass job of reinforcing the existing fence as much as possible, then put up some nice privacy panels so I didn't have to look at the ugly fence.