ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

Anyong Bluth 01-26-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 10394833)
Much like the scene where they found the antler girl, other than a clothed male between her legs - naked girl surrounded by clothed people. IMHO, it was clearly a crime scene, which would make much more sense than the alternative.

At first blush I thought it was depicting some sort of sexual abuse scene, not a crime scene setup, but I can certainly see how it would look like that also.

My only question is how would either of the daughters know what the crime scene looked like- there was no media presence at the "antler" murder crime scene, and in the deep south in a small conservative town / surrounding areas, there's not a chance in hell the news media (paper, tv, or radio) would have shown any footage or photographs- let alone even give a very detailed account of the scene.

So how would the children have knowledge of the crime scene, and I don't buy into some assumption that they snuck into the case files that their father may have brought home with him...
It's not implausible, but just a really weak assumption to expect the viewers to make this conclusion naturally.

Baby Lee 01-26-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10395045)
At first blush I thought it was depicting some sort of sexual abuse scene, not a crime scene setup, but I can certainly see how it would look like that also.

My only question is how would either of the daughters know what the crime scene looked like- there was no media presence at the "antler" murder crime scene, and in the deep south in a small conservative town / surrounding areas, there's not a chance in hell the news media (paper, tv, or radio) would have shown any footage or photographs- let alone even give a very detailed account of the scene.

So how would the children have knowledge of the crime scene, and I don't buy into some assumption that they snuck into the case files that their father may have brought home with him...
It's not implausible, but just a really weak assumption to expect the viewers to make this conclusion naturally.

My take is it signifies how much his kids might know about his job, it wasn't about a specific crime, but they were playing 'daddy at work.'

GloucesterChief 01-26-2014 09:07 PM

I believe we saw who they put away in the 1990s.

KevB 01-27-2014 12:10 AM

Was a hell of an ending, can't wait for next week

Buck 01-27-2014 12:13 AM

Looks like shit is about to get exciting next week.

Anyong Bluth 01-27-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10395045)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10395194)
My take is it signifies how much his kids might know about his job, it wasn't about a specific crime, but they were playing 'daddy at work.'

Spoiler!

Holy hell, that episode came in whimpering and then they just kicked down the doors for some major action and drama to follow this next episode!

Episode 4 Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3n...e_gdata_player

aturnis 01-27-2014 12:48 AM

Is the guy we saw at the end the "spaghetti-faced man with green ears"?

bowener 01-27-2014 01:44 AM

This show is terrific so far. The dialogue for Rust is beautiful, and he delivers it flawlessly.

There was a moment toward the end where I had the realization that MM could easily play The Joker, and do it perfectly.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10395660)
This show is terrific so far. The dialogue for Rust is beautiful, and he delivers it flawlessly.

There was a moment toward the end where I had the realization that MM could easily play The Joker, and do it perfectly.

At this point, I think he could play Annie and do it perfectly.

Tribal Warfare 01-27-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10395663)
At this point, I think he could play Annie and do it perfectly.

It's like McConaughey decided to become a good actor out of nowhere

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10395671)

I think it's more he or his agent decided to only take the best roles.

His romcom phase and naked bongoing weren't a high point, but he's always had potential.

kcxiv 01-27-2014 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10395676)
I think it's more he or his agent decided to only take the best roles.

His romcom phase and naked bongoing weren't a high point, but he's always had potential.

They were a high salary point. I mean, may as well make as much as you can in your prime of them chick flix

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10395677)
They were a high salary point. I mean, may as well make as much as you can in your prime of them chick flix

Granted, I was remarking more on his talent.

Nic Cage and De Niro are great actors to who've famously made money grabs

kcxiv 01-27-2014 03:10 AM

De Niro has whored himself our alot as he got older total opposite of Matthew. lol Though, i really enjoyed DeNiro in his recent movie Killing Season. I thought it was pretty good.

Anyong Bluth 01-27-2014 04:33 AM

Some good recaps and insight with a couple cool little revelations on subtle clues that your average viewer wouldn't easily have picked up on...

‘True Detective,’ Season 1, Episode 1, ‘The Long Bright Dark’

Quote:

Spoiler!

‘True Detective,’ Season 1, Episode 2, ‘Seeing Things’

Quote:

Spoiler!

‘True Detective,’ Season 1, Episode 3, ‘The Locked Room’

Quote:

Spoiler!

aturnis 01-27-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10395681)
Granted, I was remarking more on his talent.

Nic Cage and De Niro are great actors to who've famously made money grabs

I'm not sure if you're being serious. I'm not sure I've ever seen Nicholas Cage act. I thought he just played himself.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10396988)
I'm not sure if you're being serious. I'm not sure I've ever seen Nicholas Cage act. I thought he just played himself.

WTF, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Moonstruck, Adaptation, Heck even Honeymoon in Vegas is a Riot.

Aries Walker 01-27-2014 08:08 PM

I am loving this show. I don't even know how you can mention it in the same genre as most network TV. Rust is one of the most fascinating characters I've seen in any medium, and we're getting to see him at two wildly divergent times in his life. It's top shelf. Also, the cinematography is breathtaking; the beautiful shots of the desolation and flatness and creepy hanging trees just suck you right in.

Predictions:
Spoiler!

If there's any weak point, it's
Spoiler!

Also, has it occurred to anyone else that the two detectives' names are awfully close to 'Cold Heart', with the names matching their personalities?

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10397493)
Spoiler!

If there's any justification, they did set it up with his out of touchness and more importantly his continuing to put in long on hours on a case that was SUPPOSED be on the verge of taken out of their hands.

It's a trope, but a well developed and acted out one. I'd be as aggravated as she is.

OnTheWarpath15 01-27-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10395627)
Is the guy we saw at the end the "spaghetti-faced man with green ears"?

Appears that way. Reggie is the "green eared spaghetti monster" that the girl who was chased through the woods described to the sketch artist in the first episode.

Great Expectations 01-27-2014 08:34 PM

How do people class De Niro, Cage, and MM together?

Bob destroys them both.

Aries Walker 01-27-2014 08:36 PM

For now. Give McConaughey another twenty years. He'll have a few Oscars by then and will be considered one of the greats, while DeNiro is working on Meet the Great-Grandparents.

Cage, yeah.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10397532)
How do people class De Niro, Cage, and MM together?

Bob destroys them both.

De Niro's had some great roles, but right now MMC is doing things where you go how does a human do that.

His reserve, tenseness and angularity of the younger Cohle is menacing and wearying at the same time.

By which I mean I can't decide to give him a hug or run like ****. ie, is this Will Hunting or Travis Bickle

At this moment in time, only Christian Bale competes.

Aries Walker 01-27-2014 09:31 PM

I'd argue Daniel Day-Lewis as well, but he may be considered a generation above.

Either way, I can count them on one hand.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10397642)
I'd argue Daniel Day-Lewis as well, but he may be considered a generation above.

Either way, I can count them on one hand.

Yeah, DDL indeed a titan, but I didn't see Lincoln, so the memories have faded for me a bit at present.

BWT, did you know he has a douchy white rapper son like Tom Hanks?

Aries Walker 01-27-2014 09:59 PM

I did not. The rebelliousness of youth, I suppose.

Anyong Bluth 01-27-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

I

Predictions:

Spoiler!

It's never stopped a woman going off on a self absorbed emotional rant before in the history of mankind- why should it be any different for his wife.

Anyong Bluth 01-27-2014 10:06 PM

What I find fascinating about the show is we are getting 2 narratives, and sometimes we don't even know whose the one that is giving their account of how they recall things. Remember that these are flashbacks and subjective based upon if it's Rust or Marty telling their version of the events.

Also, anyone who has it dvrd, look closely at when Marty is going through the inappropriate drawings his daughter drew in her notebook. Specifically the last drawing before he closes it up and puts it aside. Anyone else think that the drawing of the last man they show looks a little weird- sort of like he's wearing a mask or something creepy about the way she drew his head?

Brock 01-27-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

She knows he's ****ing around.

Aries Walker 01-27-2014 10:11 PM

She at least suspects. One or two more episodes, tops.

Brock 01-27-2014 10:14 PM

I thought he came close to spilling it last night.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10397721)
What I find fascinating about the show is we are getting 2 narratives, and sometimes we don't even know whose the one that is giving their account of how they recall things. Remember that these are flashbacks and subjective based upon if it's Rust or Marty telling their version of the events.

Also, anyone who has it dvrd, look closely at when Marty is going through the inappropriate drawings his daughter drew in her notebook. Specifically the last drawing before he closes it up and puts it aside. Anyone else think that the drawing of the last man they show looks a little weird- sort of like he's wearing a mask or something creepy about the way she drew his head?

There's an less popular speculation that this will be a fight club thing. But too many have interacted simultaneously. But it offers food for though on that might pop out.

Anyong Bluth 01-27-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10397737)
There's an less popular speculation that this will be a fight club thing. But too many have interacted simultaneously. But it offers food for though on that might pop out.

I saw that too and thought it had 0 chance- just too big of a rip off and would ruin the show and the credibility.

Great Expectations 01-28-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10397559)
De Niro's had some great roles, but right now MMC is doing things where you go how does a human do that.

His reserve, tenseness and angularity of the younger Cohle is menacing and wearying at the same time.

By which I mean I can't decide to give him a hug or run like ****. ie, is this Will Hunting or Travis Bickle

At this moment in time, only Christian Bale competes.

MMC has never has never played a role close to as good as Taxi Driver or Ragin Bull.

De Niro has never played a role (even if the movie is crap) as badly as MMC did in Two for the Money. I get that he is choosing better roles and doing a great job recently, but De Niro's Ceiling is much, much higher and his floor is much higher as well.

keg in kc 01-28-2014 04:49 PM

Oh god. "Ceiling" and "floor" in a media center discussion.

Someone please shoot me now.

BigMeatballDave 01-28-2014 05:25 PM

Good show.

Aries Walker 01-28-2014 05:28 PM

I think of McConaughey as following the Tom Hanks career trajectory. At the beginning, it was all Bosom Buddies and The Man With One Red Shoe, but over time, he wins Oscars. DeNiro kind of went (is going) the other direction.

Sure-Oz 01-28-2014 07:55 PM

What a hell of an episode with the creepy music at the end introducing the gas masked man..too bad we have to wait till next weekend to see episode 4.

Anyong Bluth 01-28-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10399408)
What a hell of an episode with the creepy music at the end introducing the gas masked man..too bad we have to wait till next weekend to see episode 4.

You know there's no new episode this next weekend, right? (Sunday)
1 Week hiatus as HBO is rolling out 2 new premieres, so we've got some "downtime" - which is shitty. I'm tempted to rewatch the 1st 3 at some point and just soak it up.

Sure-Oz 01-28-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10399660)
You know there's no new episode this next weekend, right? (Sunday)
1 Week hiatus as HBO is rolling out 2 new premieres, so we've got some "downtime" - which is shitty. I'm tempted to rewatch the 1st 3 at some point and just soak it up.

Ouch....man

aturnis 01-28-2014 10:52 PM

Do the premiers at least have potential?

Anyong Bluth 01-28-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10399770)
Do the premiers at least have potential?

Sorry, I was referencing it quickly and was mistaken. There is no new episode - mainly because of the "Superb Owl"

They're showing a new episode of Girls, and their new show Looking.

A little teaser:

1st: episode titles for upcoming shows.

Episode #4: “Who Goes There”

Episode #5: “The Secret Fate of All Life”

Episode #6: “Haunted Houses”

2nd: I'd advise not clicking on the spoiler tag if you like not knowing, but I will simply pass it along and let you decide- its a 1 sentence teaser about a couple of the upcoming episodes. It's not really anything that is going to be some revelation or leak a vital plot detail.

Spoiler!

Buck 01-29-2014 12:04 PM

The Skinny black interrogation cop started out with an angry disposition towards both Cohle and Hart.

He has really lightened up to Cohle, but he's still hating Hart's guts.

Hart's interview is the week after Cohle's. So maybe Cohle was murdered and he thinks it's Hart.

All of Hart's questions are about Cohle, as all of Cohle's questions are about the 1995 case.

Skyy God 01-29-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10395671)

Wrong, wrong, wrong. He's been killing it (Bernie, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Mud) for the last couple years.

Great Expectations 01-29-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10399096)
Oh god. "Ceiling" and "floor" in a media center discussion.

Someone please shoot me now.

:clap:

point taken

Anyong Bluth 01-29-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10400552)
The Skinny black interrogation cop started out with an angry disposition towards both Cohle and Hart.

He has really lightened up to Cohle, but he's still hating Hart's guts.

Hart's interview is the week after Cohle's. So maybe Cohle was murdered and he thinks it's Hart.

All of Hart's questions are about Cohle, as all of Cohle's questions are about the 1995 case.

Wouldn't that be a twist if Rust ended up being a 2nd 2012 victim after his interview?

By the way, its a very old translation of the word or it's meaning, but Hart was another word for Deer .

Antlers.

Hart delineation

Quote:

The word*hart*is an old alternative word for "stag" (from*Old English*heorot, "deer" – compare with modern Dutch*hert*and Swedish/Norwegian*hjort, also "deer").Specifically, the word "hart" was used of a*red deer*stag more than five years old.

In*medieval hunting*terms, a stag in its first year was called a "calf" or "calfe", in its second a "brocket", in its third a "spayed", "spade", or "spayard", in its fourth a "staggerd" or "staggard", and in its fifth a "stag", or a "great stag".

To be a "hart" was its fully mature state. A lord would want to hunt not just any deer, but a mature stag in good condition, partly for the extra meat and fat it would carry, but also for prestige. Hence a hart could be designated "a hart of grease", (a fat stag), "a hart of ten", (a stag with ten points on its antlers) or "a royal hart" (a stag which had been hunted by a royal personage). A stag which was old enough to be hunted was called a "warrantable" stag.

The hart was a "beast of venery" representing the most prestigious form of hunting, as distinct from lesser "beasts of the chase", and "beasts of warren", the last of which were considered virtually as being vermin. The membership of these different classes varies somewhat, according to which period, and which writer, is being considered, but the red deer is always in the first class, the fox hardly being regarded at all

Tribal Warfare 01-29-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10400651)
Wrong, wrong, wrong. He's been killing it (Bernie, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Mud) for the last couple years.

Man Card REVOKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gblowfish 01-29-2014 04:18 PM

It's a shame we have a two week wait for the next installment. This show has been very enjoyable.

WilliamTheIrish 01-29-2014 05:55 PM

This is the kind of show that I prefer to "just let happen". I do like to watch them a few times to pick up on intricacies I may have missed the first time. But I stay away from other boards that speculate on what happens next.

I like the discussion here because we use spoilers most of the time and I appreciate folks abiding by that.

And this is a great series.

Anyong Bluth 01-29-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10401263)
This is the kind of show that I prefer to "just let happen". I do like to watch them a few times to pick up on intricacies I may have missed the first time. But I stay away from other boards that speculate on what happens next.

I like the discussion here because we use spoilers most of the time and I appreciate folks abiding by that.

And this is a great series.

Speculation is fine, but I'd be all for banning someone from the thread if they drop a bombshell spoiler and not tag it and ruin it for everyone.

I'm interested in get analysis and theory, but don't seek out info that's going to give away the story before actually watching it.

Buck 01-29-2014 06:09 PM

FTR, anything I posted is speculation. I hate spoilers and would never spoil anyone or look for spoilers.

Aries Walker 01-29-2014 07:22 PM

I'm glad to have a show I'm thoroughly fascinated by, that wasn't a book or comic series beforehand. I have very little patience with people who chirp, "Oh, wait until you see what's coming up next! You'll love it!"

keg in kc 01-29-2014 08:07 PM

Just wait until you see what's coming next. It's awesome!

Aries Walker 01-29-2014 09:33 PM

Bastard.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2014 10:34 AM

Heh, my 15 yr old son just told me this is an Anthology series. I didn't know. Kind of disappointing.

Great Expectations 01-30-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10402225)
Heh, my 15 yr old son just told me this is an Anthology series. I didn't know. Kind of disappointing.

This is why it is so good. No need to try and drag anything out or alter the story so it will last longer.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10402350)
This is why it is so good. No need to try and drag anything out or alter the story so it will last longer.

True, but I really like McConoughey and Harrelson's characters.

Only 5 episodes left, I think.

Anyong Bluth 01-30-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10402408)
True, but I really like McConoughey and Harrelson's characters.

Only 5 episodes left, I think.

And next year they're supposed to have another top notch cast which I'm sure many will be excited about a fresh story and not playing out this season with needless filler episodes.

Buck 01-30-2014 12:46 PM

Like an 8 hour movie.

jiveturkey 01-30-2014 12:54 PM

This is the way TV should be IMO.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10402474)

I don't think it would be good format for a Sitcom.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10402458)
Like an 8 hour movie.

Mini-series

jiveturkey 01-30-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10402537)

Good point.

But the common format for sitcoms isn't actually working either, at least for me. The live studio audience and/or laugh track is a major turnoff.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10402610)
Good point.

But the common format isn't actually working either, at least for me. The live studio audience and/or laugh track is a major turnoff.

I ignore the laughter. Doesn't affect me.

I do enjoy the single-camera format better, though. P & R, Modern Family, etc.

aturnis 01-30-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10402474)

This. It's why I enjoy British television so much. It's all killer no filler. More focused and better written. Forcing things into 16 episode seasons waters down the content.

aturnis 01-30-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10402537)

It works overseas. The Office, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, and countless others have been great in 6 one hour episodes per season.

Baby Lee 02-06-2014 08:11 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/19057c910...8u03o2_500.png
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e8801daf8...8u03o1_500.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/67e4b1a06...8u03o3_500.png

http://truedetectiveconversations.tumblr.com/

ROFL ROFL

Simply Red 02-09-2014 06:14 PM

Woody Harrelson is a phenomenal actor, I really sold him short over the years.

Simply Red 02-09-2014 08:10 PM

watching*

Simply Red 02-09-2014 08:38 PM

wow what a turning of events.

Simply Red 02-09-2014 08:43 PM

sheesh - a geeked up MM character in hot pursuit, oh boy - dis' gon' be good.

Simply Red 02-09-2014 08:57 PM

tonight's episode = easily the most intense thus far.

KevB 02-09-2014 09:52 PM

That was an outstanding episode, riveting stuff. MM and WH are just nails in this show.

Simply Red 02-09-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10423772)
That was an outstanding episode, riveting stuff. MM and WH are just nails in this show.

I will most likely buy this series on br.

Simply Red 02-09-2014 10:34 PM

kevb, Do you happen to know why MM indicated he was shooting 'ink and cayenne?' - what was that all about?

GloucesterChief 02-09-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10423873)
kevb, Do you happen to know why MM indicated he was shooting 'ink and cayenne?' - what was that all about?

I am assuming so it looked like he was doing heroin.

Bambi 02-09-2014 11:19 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TrueDetective&amp;src=hash">#TrueDetective</a> Greatest long take in the history of television</p>&mdash; Jason Spangler (@Wickedson_TTMIA) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wickedson_TTMIA/statuses/432744459030114304">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brock 02-09-2014 11:58 PM

Sheeeeeeeeyit!

L.A. Chieffan 02-10-2014 12:19 AM

Holy shit. One of the greatest technical scenes in television history. Wow.

Baby Lee 02-10-2014 01:57 AM

DDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was ****ing art.

Rainmain needs to put that in the scene tournament.