ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars: Rebels (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273208)

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-06-2014 08:17 AM

I was really hoping they weren't going to try and tie this in to what Abrams is doing...

DaneMcCloud 11-06-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 11088787)
I was really hoping they weren't going to try and tie this in to what Abrams is doing...

Oh yeah, that's been the plan, all along. Rebels will somehow play a role in the new trilogy. They're unifying the entire Star Wars Universe with the goal of making it way bigger than the Marvel Universe.

The new books "Tarkin" and "A New Dawn" and everything moving forward will all be canon and take place in the Star Wars universe.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-06-2014 01:21 PM

Sigh.

DaneMcCloud 11-06-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 11089442)
Sigh.

Personally, I think it's a great thing. All of the movies, TV shows, books and video games will be set in the same exact universe. No more of this "Oh, well if it wasn't in the movie, it's not canon" nonsense.

While I enjoyed some aspects of the EU (especially the Zahn Duology and a few others), most of it was pretty hokey. The trilogy of shitty books where Luke & Leia are searching for their mother was awful and of course, wiped out by the Prequels. The Ysalamiri were just dumb and so on.

007 11-07-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11089467)
Personally, I think it's a great thing. All of the movies, TV shows, books and video games will be set in the same exact universe. No more of this "Oh, well if it wasn't in the movie, it's not canon" nonsense.

While I enjoyed some aspects of the EU (especially the Zahn Duology and a few others), most of it was pretty hokey. The trilogy of shitty books where Luke & Leia are searching for their mother was awful and of course, wiped out by the Prequels. The Ysalamiri were just dumb and so on.

Yeah, I agree. Everything needs to be tied together moving forward. It will make for an even better product.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2014 09:19 PM

I don't "dislike" Rebels and I really dig that they're using Ralph McQuarrie's original art as the the basis and look of this series (which was at the forefront of tonight's episode and looked amazing) but in many ways, this feels like "Star Trek: Enterprise" during its first season.

The introductions, the sub-plots, which help to define the characters to the audience, seem clumsy and awkward. It might be because they're trying to introduce unknown characters into a "known" universe (or galaxy, as it were) or maybe it's just that: Clumsy writing.

The Clone Wars was like this in the beginning, if I'm not mistaken, and the animation was not as good as it would become, so maybe there's hope that this series works in the long run. But I stopped watching The Clone Wars early on because the stories and animation were annoying but apparently, it improved quite substantially over the years.

I hope it doesn't take that long for Rebels.

unlurking 11-11-2014 08:24 AM

Agreed. I stopped watching Clone Wars in the middle of season 2, which IMO was pretty horrible. On the advice of others here, I picked it back up and it started to take off in season 3. I'm glad I did, because seasons 4 & 5 were incredible and washed away the dreariness of previous seasons.

I'm trying to give Rebels the same chance, but I have less patience this time around.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 08:36 AM

Rebels may actually require more patience. They're doing world- and character-building that early Clone Wars didn't really have to do, since most of the cast were characters familiar from the movies. Other than the occasional cameo everything with this show is new (and may be setting the foundation for some portion of the new trilogy - sort of the opposite of Clone Wars). I haven't watched monday's yet, but it looks to be expansion on Sabine and Hera. That covers everyone I think, and it may mean they can finally start moving more toward whatever over-arching arc there will be. In any case, I've liked what they've done so far, and it feels to me like it's getting stronger as the season progresses.

unlurking 11-11-2014 10:03 AM

At this point, the Rebels Wookie episode was the worst Star Wars product I have ever consumed. Bar none. That animation abomination just destroyed it for me. I still can't get over it. Overall however (with that episode removed from the tally), the season has not yet been as bad as Clone Wars season 2, and it is getting stronger, if very slowly. I will exercise my patience!

Unfortunately, since this is canon, I feel obligated to watch it. As you pointed out, they are introducing characters and back-stories that we will likely see in the new trilogy. That pressure to watch already makes it a little less appealing, so for me, I hope they improve soon. Need to watch this latest episode myself.

Bowser 11-11-2014 10:17 AM

The animation is rough. It takes adjusting to, especially after Clone Wars. Add in that the episodes (that I've seen) so far have been disjointed, and this show has been a tough sell.

unlurking 11-11-2014 01:33 PM

Yeah, just watched the latest episode. Felt like filler. Complete waste. I assume they were trying to build the Hera & Sabine characters, but the dialogue and/or the voice acting was just horrible. Total waste of an episode. Didn't even add to the back-story of either character. Very disappointed. Worst episode so far after the Wookies.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 02:30 PM

I didn't like the episode very much either, but I thought it did establish some back story. If they'd mentioned Sabine attending the imperial academy on mandalore previously I missed it (would have been during the ep 2 weeks ago). The idea of a contact named Fulcrum (aside: how weird was it to hear that name after just hearing the same name mentioned on the Blacklist) providing sketchy information as well as the first hints of them being part of a larger conspiracy is all pretty important too.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11103669)
If they'd mentioned Sabine attending the imperial academy on mandalore previously I missed it (would have been during the ep 2 weeks ago).

I don't believe they mentioned her attendance at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore in past episodes, which I found to be a very interesting reveal. Mandalore as an Imperial outpost?

She's obviously wearing Mandalorian armor (although I do think the pink is a bit over the top) and while I knew that they were "great warriors", the mention of an Imperial Academy on that world is very intriguing and likely sets up something for future episodes or even VII.

That said, I didn't care much for this episode but that's probably because I find the potential back stories and character arcs of Ezra and Kanan much more appealing.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 03:09 PM

I would assume Sabine is the eventual romantic interest for Ezra (already been teased a ton), so that makes her backstory pretty key. I wouldn't even be surprised to see 'adult' them as a couple in the movie.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11103804)
I would assume Sabine is the eventual romantic interest for Ezra (already been teased a ton), so that makes her backstory pretty key. I wouldn't even be surprised to see 'adult' them as a couple in the movie.

Interesting. For whatever reason, I've assumed she was eight to ten years older than Ezra.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 03:16 PM

I don't think she's that much older but both their ages have been kind of indeterminate.

I interpreted her going back to save him and then her look back as she gets on the ship as the first cracks in her...facade is the best word I can think of. He's been pursuing her since the day he stepped on the ship.

Could be reading too much into it... :shrug:

Silock 11-11-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11103820)
Interesting. For whatever reason, I've assumed she was eight to ten years older than Ezra.

That never stopped Anakin.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11103828)
I don't think she's that much older but both their ages have been kind of indeterminate.

I interpreted her going back to save him and then her look back as she gets on the ship as the first cracks in her...facade is the best word I can think of. He's been pursuing her since the day he stepped on the ship.

Could be reading too much into it... :shrug:

I've been watching with my 6 year-old, who sometimes asks questions during the show, so I may have missed that interaction.

I guess the reason I thought she was much older is because of the way she's drawn: Thin waist, ample bosom, etc. (which is somewhat unlike the 30 year old actress that portrays her).

Chalk it up to stereotypical female animation?

keg in kc 11-11-2014 03:22 PM

She could be 17 or 18 and fit that description...

That's actually been what my thinking was: she's 18-20, he's 15 or 16. Watching her whole bit about "you don't trust me" this week made me think she's maybe on the younger side. Like she's really trying hard to get accepted by the grownups.

I just wish they'd get rid of his sling shot. So goofy.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 11103837)
That never stopped Anakin.

Perks of being the Chosen Wand, er One.

unlurking 11-11-2014 03:25 PM

Seriously weak back-story if you want to call it that. One new piece of info. The Fulcrum bit was a lame tease as well. It was setup no different than the way they introduced the first guy they were taking jobs from. We already knew they were "rebels", working for a larger purpose.

I thought by setting up the two alone they'd try and build some sort of bond or we'd get to know them on a more personal level. It just felt stiff and formulaic.

If the amount of "reveal" is this low, I might as well just read the wiki at the end of the season.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 03:27 PM

Gotta see who Fulcrum is before I can really pass any sort of judgement on it.

Looks like a lot happens next week. We'll see.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11103877)
Gotta see who Fulcrum is before I can really pass any sort of judgement on it.

Looks like a lot happens next week. We'll see.

I hope it's a double-agent :D

keg in kc 11-11-2014 03:41 PM

I think throwaway stuff could end up being more important than it seemed initially. Like the kid at the academy who stuck with the Inquisitor to find out what happened to his sister.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11103913)
I think throwaway stuff could end up being more important than it seemed initially. Like the kid at the academy who stuck with the Inquisitor to find out what happened to his sister.

Agreed. Either they're setting this up to be a part of the bigger Star Wars universe before A New Hope, or they're tying it in to either VII-IX or the spin offs.

keg in kc 01-05-2015 08:40 PM

What a cool episode

Bowser 01-05-2015 08:53 PM

Man, I have to catch back up on this show. It blipped off the radar for me. I take it business picks up the further into the season you get?

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11246346)
Man, I have to catch back up on this show. It blipped off the radar for me. I take it business picks up the further into the season you get?

There are only 16 total episodes in Season One, so they're all pretty important. But that said, some episodes are more entertaining than others.

I'm really hoping they kick it up a notch in the final eight.

Hammock Parties 01-05-2015 09:16 PM

Was that episode 9 or 10?

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Alex's Losses (Post 11246395)
Was that episode 9 or 10?

Nine

DaneMcCloud 01-06-2015 01:31 AM

Tonight's episode was awesome. It also contradicts some of the prequel nonsense, which really sets up everything, from post ROTS to post RTOJ.

Very, very interesting.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2015 01:31 AM

Watching now.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2015 01:57 AM

That was fun. Mystical. Loved hearing Yoda's voice again.

pr_capone 01-06-2015 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Alex's Losses (Post 10797675)
The kid character is pretty annoying though. He's like Aladdin in Star Wars.

The thing about this show is...both that Jedi and the kid need to die to fit in Canon. Hopefully. :D

That is hysterical. I started watching this because I just drudged through Clone Wars. I hadn't read through the comments but as soon as it started I also thought Aladdin.

It was re-emphasized when Kanan called him a "street rat" (I'm only 12 minutes into the first episode as I type this)

unlurking 01-06-2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11246786)
Tonight's episode was awesome. It also contradicts some of the prequel nonsense, which really sets up everything, from post ROTS to post RTOJ.

Very, very interesting.

Not really spoiler, just curious speculation?

Spoiler!

keg in kc 01-06-2015 07:20 AM

Spoiler!

unlurking 01-06-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11246849)
Spoiler!

You are hallucinating again! :) Either that or I am, but no, I don't think he turned it on.

keg in kc 01-06-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11246860)
You are hallucinating again! :) Either that or I am, but no, I don't think he turned it on.

I could swear he switched it on after Kanan handed it back to him before the show went to black. If not, this is it:

The Wookieepedia entry states that it is a blaster (stun) so you were on to something there.

Kylo is also rumored to start as a rebel pilot, so that would work, but I don't think the ages match up. Ezra would I think be in his 40s if still alive in ep 7. Driver's a good decade younger that that, and probably playing someone still younger than he is.

keg in kc 01-06-2015 08:26 AM

I thought that episode highlighted once again something Dane theorized, about the show preparing us for more powerful Jedi feats, when the two of them moved the massive stone to reveal the door.

keg in kc 01-06-2015 08:30 AM

Hope this means we never have to see that stupid slingshot again. If there was any complaint I had about the show it was that.

unlurking 01-06-2015 08:50 AM

OK, looking at the timelines, it looks like Ezra will be in his 50's by the time Force Awakens comes around (14 in Rebels, +9 years until Endor, +30 years until EP. 7). Guess there is no connection. Unless Ezra + Sabine = Kylo? OK, stretching way too much now!

Definitely agreed on that slingshot. Hope it's gone now.

keg in kc 01-06-2015 08:55 AM

I hope they continue his internal struggle with darkness and that he's not just magically Zen now.

If this wasn't a kids show I'd further his relationship with Sabine and then have something happen to her to make him all revengy again. But it is and I don't expect that and I admit I read too much grrm.

unlurking 01-06-2015 09:06 AM

Hahahaha.

I'd be happy with an anti-hero type of character riding between the good and dark sides of the force, but yeah, kids show.

Hammock Parties 01-15-2015 02:33 AM

Really fun episode. Lando's introduction and role was perfect. And Billy Dee was awesome.

George probably loves this show. It's definitely "faster, more intense!"

keg in kc 01-15-2015 11:49 AM

I thought there was a new one. Didn't record for some reason. :grr:

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11270422)
I thought there was a new one. Didn't record for some reason. :grr:

He must have bootlegged it because it's not scheduled to air until Monday night.

keg in kc 01-15-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11270438)
He must have bootlegged it because it's not scheduled to air until Monday night.

Ahh, okay. My cable box is doing weird things, listed every airing as new this week then didn't record any of them. Think it's on its last legs.

Hammock Parties 01-15-2015 02:42 PM

Apparently this stuff hits on-demand a week prior.

Hammock Parties 01-15-2015 04:11 PM

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...13&oe=55684E39

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...18&oe=5562D191

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11270811)
Apparently this stuff hits on-demand a week prior.

I'm looking at Disney XD on Demand on Direct TV and they only have Episode 1-7. Who's your provider?

Hammock Parties 01-15-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11270995)
I'm looking at Disney XD on Demand on Direct TV and they only have Episode 1-7. Who's your provider?

I got it from a torrent, but according to the wiki it hit on demand 3 days ago.

keg in kc 01-15-2015 07:59 PM

It is on demand. Just watched it. Fun little episode.

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11271317)
It is on demand. Just watched it. Fun little episode.

Which provider? It's not on Direct TV. :(

keg in kc 01-15-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11271323)
Which provider? It's not on Direct TV. :(

Time Warner. Weirdly they had the episodes listed by title rather than number. Idiot's Array it was called.

Hammock Parties 01-15-2015 08:06 PM

Billy Dee still got it you know.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/dwts.jpg

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11271331)
Time Warner. Weirdly they had the episodes listed by title rather than number. Idiot's Array it was called.

Ah, thanks. I guess I'm waiting until Monday night to see it.

keg in kc 01-19-2015 03:20 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FiVxmWQsu-8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 01-20-2015 11:44 PM

My 6 year old and I watched this last night. During the first commercial break I asked "What do you think of Lando?" to which she replied, "I don't trust him. Is he a bad guy?". LMAO

The next commercial break, she said "I knew it!" and by the end of the show she said "I like Lando but I still don't trust him".

Is Billy Dee good or what?

DaneMcCloud 01-26-2015 08:17 PM

This every other week schedule is bumming me out. I hope they produce a full 24 episode season because dragging out 16 episodes isn't a good model.

IMO, they should have waited until January and run 16 consecutive weeks.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2015 08:18 PM

New episode just hit the torrent sites today. Will report back.

Deberg_1990 01-26-2015 08:34 PM

So is Lando going to be in "The Force Awakens' ?

Hammock Parties 01-26-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11293920)
So is Lando going to be in "The Force Awakens' ?

No.

Rausch 01-26-2015 09:59 PM

Why isn't this $3it on couchtuner yet?...

Hammock Parties 01-27-2015 03:38 PM

Pretty great episode. Pure Star Wars. I like the direction the series is going.

keg in kc 01-27-2015 03:42 PM

They put next week's up early again? I'll have to check on demand.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-27-2015 08:23 PM

I'm waiting until the 1st season is in the can, then I'll watch the whole thing at my leisure.

DaneMcCloud 01-27-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11295964)
I'm waiting until the 1st season is in the can, then I'll watch the whole thing at my leisure.

Most likely, this will be the best way to enjoy the season.

keg in kc 01-28-2015 01:16 AM

Next episode is okay. Doesn't really move the story ahead at all, but was something obvious they needed to do and I can't think of another way they could've done it.

Hammock Parties 02-02-2015 02:27 AM

According to this, not only is Lando going to be back, but Hondo from The Clone Wars is going to show up.

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/02...to-rebels.html

Very cool. Hondo was a great character.

Hammock Parties 02-03-2015 12:30 AM

he's back

http://i.imgur.com/delv4UG.png

DaneMcCloud 02-03-2015 01:15 AM

This episode was interesting. It seems logical considering what we know about the Rebellion against the Empire.

But it also opens the door to bigger questions, which I suppose is the point of the series.

Hammock Parties 02-03-2015 05:36 PM

****. This is already available on demand, but no torrent. DYING to see this.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=413293625493933" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=413293625493933">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/starwarsrebels">Star Wars Rebels</a>.</div></div>

keg in kc 02-05-2015 04:36 PM

Just saw next Monday's. Really good. If the series was the OT this one was the equivalent of ep 5. Probably the furthest from kid's show it's been so far.

Hammock Parties 02-05-2015 05:21 PM

Dirty little secret people who don't watch this show don't know:

It's going to be better than the original Star Wars movie.

DaneMcCloud 02-05-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11312383)
Just saw next Monday's. Really good. If the series was the OT this one was the equivalent of ep 5. Probably the furthest from kid's show it's been so far.

Awesome. I saw three previews on EW's site, which were incredible.

It's a shame there's only 16 episodes this season but next season has as many as 32. I hope they're aired sooner rather than later.

Hammock Parties 02-06-2015 03:35 PM

yesssssssss

Quote:

Ahsoka Tano, Darth Vader, and Emperor Palpatine will all be appearing in the season 2 premiere. Ashley Eckstein and James Earl Jones will be reprising their roles as Ahsoka and Vader respectively, though it is believed that Ian McDiarmid will not be reprising his role as Palpatine (with speculation that Tim Curry, who played Palpatine in several episodes of The Clone Wars following the death of Ian Abercrombie, reprising the part).

unlurking 02-06-2015 04:08 PM

Curry did pretty well replacing Abercrombie (who knocked it out of the park IMO). Cool to see Jones back.

DaneMcCloud 02-06-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11314047)
yesssssssss

I really need to watch the Clone Wars series

Hammock Parties 02-06-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11314106)
I really need to watch the Clone Wars series

The Clone Wars is awesome. They gave us the Anakin we deserved.

keg in kc 02-06-2015 05:00 PM

That'll bring back the rumor that ahsoka is in ep 7. Rebels is canon.