ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Duncan Idaho's Compendium of Comprehensive Offseason Plans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351656)

Dunerdr 01-04-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17318269)
I think I'm alone on the Gabe Davis bandwagon, but that's why I like him. I think he can outplay whatever deal he ends up signing. But I do see the concerns there in that he's not really an all-fields player. He's mostly a seam stretcher/deep guy. A younger and IMO, better, MVS. And frankly, a slightly better version of the 2022 MVS would be a god-sent for this offense. If that's ALL he is, it's still a hell of an add to the WR room.

I'd be fine with Davis paired with a strong outside WR in the draft or FA. It just cant be only Gabe Davis.

JPH83 01-04-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17318340)
I love Nick and have for a long time. I'm a well-known Mizzou honk on here.

BUT... I still see a guy who is at best a "eh, he's OK" option as a pass defender. His instincts are next level and I think they play him up until he starts to decline physically.

But if he's fooled, or pulled out of position by his assignment, he just doesn't have the raw speed/range to recover quickly. And he's still pretty limited as a pass defender.

I just don't see how you can pay him big money on a long-term deal when that's the case.

Depends on what he's asking, but I assume it's going to be more than I'm comfortable with.

I like those DT names just fine. And Egbuka is a 6-1/200 guy and comes from a program that has done a good job developing guys who can win inside and out.

Depends on the price, but I'm not super interested. He's a one-trick pony, and I want more versatility than that.

Good point on the program. I maybe have some slight reservations about how effectively he really beats man and I wonder if he's as fast as some suggest, but yeah, I'd still love him late in the 1st. He'd be a helluva grab.

JPH83 01-04-2024 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17318353)
Yeah Egbuka looks nice. I think Adonai Mitchell looks good too.

Lot of options. Feels like we wouldn't have to trade up with this class assuming they call declare.

This will probably never happen bc Andy almost always drafts a lineman in the first or 2nd rd, but man getting Egbuka or Mitchell and then Cade Stover in rd 2 would be so awesome

Loads of simulators I've grabbed 2 WRs the first 2 rounds and been really excited. But inevitably I'm then unsure on the LT situation and find myself with lots of holes.

Realistically I don't think we can fully "fix" the WR or LT in FA. I think maybe the best outcome is to partially fix the WR room with someone like Brown, and then replace Jones with an aggregate approach at DT. I'd consider ditching Reid as well and signing someone like Stone who's better at coverage and probably cheaper.

If we go into the draft with a cheaper and possible upgrade at safety and a group of DTs like Pierce and Daquan Jones replacing C Jones, I think we call those positions good until later picks.

Then you can focus on WR and LT. I think a stud WR in R1 is possible. Move up early in the 2nd to grab the best remaining LT, maybe someone like Patrick Paul, and then spend the rest of the draft on a TE, a guard who can sit a year, coverage focused LB, RB and maybe a double dip at WR. If the draft ticks a couple of those boxes I think we can maybe fix one or 2 more through remaining FA.

DJ's left nut 01-04-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17318425)
I'd be fine with Davis paired with a strong outside WR in the draft or FA. It just cant be only Gabe Davis.

Oh no question.

I mean I'm looking at him as a possible THIRD entry to the WR room. Sign Brown, Draft Egbuka, sign Davis, keep Rice - that's your top 4. I really don't care about WR5 and 6. If that's Watson and Moore, so be it. Maybe Ross pushes one of 'em off the roster.

raybec 4 01-04-2024 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17318663)
Oh no question.

I mean I'm looking at him as a possible THIRD entry to the WR room. Sign Brown, Draft Egbuka, sign Davis, keep Rice - that's your top 4. I really don't care about WR5 and 6. If that's Watson and Moore, so be it. Maybe Ross pushes one of 'em off the roster.

If Ross can hang around well enough to push someone out next year that would be ideal.

DJ's left nut 01-04-2024 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17318859)
If Ross can hang around well enough to push someone out next year that would be ideal.

I still don't see any 'there' there.

But that one guy assures me he has 'game speed' and would've housed the ball that Rice didn't. So there's that.

ToxSocks 01-04-2024 05:34 PM

Firmly against signing Tranquill over Gay. I can already tell this is going to be an offseason topic of contention.

Bowser 01-04-2024 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 17318894)
Firmly against signing Tranquill over Gay. I can already tell this is going to be an offseason topic of contention.

I agree, but if Gay prices himself out of our range, then Tranquill is a must re-sign. The defense didn't skip a beat with Tranquill in there for either Gay or Bolton.

Hell, Tranquill may have well priced himself out of our range now that I think of it.

kccrow 01-04-2024 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17318963)
I agree, but if Gay prices himself out of our range, then Tranquill is a must re-sign. The defense didn't skip a beat with Tranquill in there for either Gay or Bolton.

Hell, Tranquill may have well priced himself out of our range now that I think of it.

I think that's where Tranquill has more value than Gay.

DJ's left nut 01-04-2024 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17318963)

He had a fantastic year last season with the Chargers - he hasn't shown anything this year that he didn't last.

Not sure why the market didn't materialize for him but I'm not sure why it suddenly would now.

JPH83 01-05-2024 01:18 AM

I'd take Tranquil over Gay. Gay's just too wildly inconsistent for me to care about the athletic potential at this stage. I think Tranquil has been fairly up and down too, but less so.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 17318894)

I expect Gay to get a little more cash and interest.

I love Gay and would LOVE to roll with Tranquill/Gay as the core LB for the forseeable future, but it just doesn't seem likely.

O.city 01-05-2024 09:30 AM

I'd rather keep Gay, but I'd keep Tranquill and Gay and let Bolton walk.

raybec 4 01-05-2024 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17318867)
I still don't see any 'there' there.

But that one guy assures me he has 'game speed' and would've housed the ball that Rice didn't. So there's that.

I know there was a lot of excitement when he signed as a UDFA but I just don't think he's ever going to take that next step to be a better option than Watson. I hope I'm wrong.

RunKC 01-05-2024 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17319311)
I'd rather keep Gay, but I'd keep Tranquill and Gay and let Bolton walk.

Lot of people, including me, are gonna be unhappy when they open the checkbook for Bolton this off-season.

I've already accepted it