ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Don't look now, but our defense... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327376)

Naptown Chief 12-15-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 14658437)
YA GOTTA SPALIEF!!!!!

YIP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 14658451)
I'm pretty spagged about this D. Not gonna lie.

Would you Spag me? I'd Spag me

Pitt Gorilla 12-15-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14658305)
For the first few games, I didn’t see any improvement over last year. I thought Spags was a bust.

Once Mahomes went down they started playing better.

The Tennessee game I think is what really woke them up. I think they were embarrassed and I think that was the game that prompted the leaders on the defense to step up and challenge each other. Since then we’ve been nails.

It’s been impressive and fun to watch for sure.

Why would you expect improvement in the first few games of a new system with a ton of new players? Honest question.

stevieray 12-15-2019 08:53 PM

Patience really is a virtue.

chiefzilla1501 12-15-2019 09:14 PM

I wonder what our rating is for the second half of the season. I'd imagine we're WAY into the top 10.

TwistedChief 12-15-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14658521)
Why would you expect improvement in the first few games of a new system with a ton of new players? Honest question.

I believed in the narrative that it would take time for them to gel. But I started to lose some faith in that after the Texans game when it seemed like the defense was actually getting worse each week.

We then dominated the Broncos, played the Packers really tough, and slowed a red hot Vikings offense. At that point, I realized we had made some real strides.

The Tennessee game was disappointing but there are off days for even the most complete units and it doesn't invalidate everything else they've done. Since then, they've continued to be consistently solid and that's all we could've asked for.

I no longer cringe when we're on defense. They're fun to watch now.

chiefzilla1501 12-15-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14658560)
I believed in the narrative that it would take time for them to gel. But I started to lose some faith in that after the Texans game when it seemed like the defense was actually getting worse each week.

We then dominated the Broncos, played the Packers really tough, and slowed a red hot Vikings offense. At that point, I realized we had made some real strides.

The Tennessee game was disappointing but there are off days for even the most complete units and it doesn't invalidate everything else they've done. Since then, they've continued to be consistently solid and that's all we could've asked for.

I no longer cringe when we're on defense. They're fun to watch now.

We seem to get exposed for some big thing late in the season when it's too late to adjust. This year, we got exposed early. And that's given us time to fix it. What I love is that Veach addressed that by adding guys like Pennel. And Spags made adjustments Sutton never would. Not just in-game, but long-term ones. For example, the way Spags used Sorensen to address our problem stopping RBs in the passing game was brilliant and completely changed our defense.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12-15-2019 09:28 PM

After today we have the 11th best defense in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed, 11th in pass defense and 26th in run defense

Hammock Parties 12-15-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14658531)

Andy should have learned us by now.

scho63 12-15-2019 10:40 PM

Not sure if anyone else caught the radio broadcast but before the game began, Mitch Holthaus said that the two guys that Spags gave big credit to for the defense that he trusts were Tyrann Mathieu and wait for it................
Anthony Hitchens. I was shocked but Holthaus said Spags considers them the two smartest field generals who tell everyone where to lineup and what to expect.

comochiefsfan 12-15-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14658521)

Moreso I expected to see some flashes from Clark (we now know he was injured) and better execution.

I didn’t expect to see massive improvement immediately, I was just hoping for some optimism. When we were getting pummeled by Indy in week 5 was the point that I thought we screwed up with a lot of our offseason moves on defense.

Thrilled to be proven wrong.

BWillie 12-15-2019 10:52 PM

Coach Spaggot is a godsend. I knew he'd be better than Bob. That was a given, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good hire based on his most recent results. He's been worth every penny so far at least.

ChiefsFanatic 12-15-2019 11:49 PM

This is not a negative post. This is a realistic post.

I love that our defense has played great the last 4 games, but I am worried that we are relying on blitzes too often to get off the field on 3rd down, instead of generating pressure with our front 4.

That is not to say that I don't like blitzing, because I love the variety of Spags' blitzes the last 4 weeks, but 2 of those weeks were against very old, stationary QBs in Rivers and Brady, and 1 week was against a QB making his third start, Lock.

Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson, and Josh Allen are all really mobile, and have strong arms. Blitzing them could end up being a bad strategy, and we are likely to play at least one of them, and probably two of them if we win a game.

Now that Okafor's status is really unknown, the front 4 may struggle even more to get consistent pressure. I know that Clark and Jones can win their one-on-one match ups on any given play, but without Okafor, their success rate may drop.

Again, I think the defense has played great the last month, but in the playoffs the margin for error is razor thin, and I am just worried about getting burned again, because you know, Chiefs.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

bricks 12-16-2019 12:55 AM

Last year the Chiefs defense was like that fat ugly obese woman with a cute face. You know she’s pretty horrible looking on the outside but there could be room for improvement.

For several months she goes on a diet and exercise plan and loses weight. She trims a lot of the fat off but still has a bit of a ways to go. She went from 300lbs to about ummm 180lbs? She’s a busty women now, she got some curves now like pow! and still have that cute face on her.

You know you wouldn’t have ****ed her last year but now you are definately warming up to that. She started to become a bit sexy. She went from a 1/10 to a 6.5/10. She is not the sexiest but if you had a few beers in you, you know you would **** the shit out of her. She may not satisfy you to the fullest but you could live with her and are not afraid to be seen with her but before none of that shit would happen! But now, sure why not!

That’s what this defensive progress reminds me of.

*Maybe next year she loses more weight, tones up with some curves and muscle and goes from 180lbs to 135lbs? And goes from a 6.5/10 to an 8/10? Then we will know that she is gorgeous and that’ll be the day when we get a top 10 defense.

Simply Red 12-16-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14658531)

It's a process

Hammock Parties 12-16-2019 01:05 AM

This is all we've ever wanted.

A franchise QB and a defense that can get stops.

I truly believe no one else in the AFC has that right now.