ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Thoughts about Tesla vehicles? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318132)

DaFace 10-11-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 13808480)
I see them occasionally and they seem to be fine. I do, however, have one question. I get the idea that they claim to be good for the environment (electric and all) but here is the question: WHen the batteries FINALLY give out (and they will) do they go into a land fill?

Not being a smart ass here - just curious.

You can recycle them. But they don't really "go bad" so much as they "lose range." In a lot of cases, they can be used for other purposes for a while too, such as in industrial storage where space is a plentiful and cost is a major concern.

Red Dawg 10-11-2018 09:11 PM

I had no idea so many rich people were on here. If you have that much money don't you feel like a loser posting on a message board? You should.

DaFace 10-11-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13808489)
I had no idea so many rich people were on here. If you have that much money don't you feel like a loser posting on a message board? You should.

I bought a $37k Nissan Leaf. With $7500 in federal incentives and $5000 in Colorado incentives, it's a $20k car.

And yeah, many of the Teslas are pretty pricey. But they're not that much crazier than a lot of other cars you don't think much about (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.).

Buehler445 10-11-2018 09:26 PM

If I didn't have kids I'd probably have one. Since I do, I have other places for the money and the time to fiddle with it and figure it out.

Buehler445 10-11-2018 09:28 PM

But how cool is it to work for Tesla?

BWillie 10-11-2018 09:35 PM

Yeah OP - what is it that you do there?

Frazod 10-11-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13808446)
Somewhere between 225-350 miles, depending on the model and options.

But the thing is, everyone focuses on this, but for 99% of the miles people drive, it really doesn't matter. Our Nissan Leaf gets 150 miles on a charge. You know how many times I've had to charge it anywhere except for home? Zero. My wife has a 20-mile (one-way commute). We plug it in every other day, and that's it. And while it's not a Tesla, the instant torque is still plenty enough to make it more fun to drive than any gas car I've ever owned.

There is a very reasonable argument that you'd be better off just renting a gas car for long road trips and using an e-car for everything else, but even that ignores the fact that you can get just about anywhere in a Tesla as long as you're OK with stopping for a bit every few hours (which most people do anyway, albeit with fewer restrictions.

Last week I stopped by to shoot the shit with my mechanic, who was working on a taxi. I didn't really pay any attention to it until he finished, got in and then the damned thing backed out without making a sound. It kind of freaked me out. Pretty sure it was Leaf. He said the cabbies love 'em.

Obviously I have no experience with them, but considering that 99% of my driving now is within it's fuel range, this might be an option for me in the future.

-King- 10-11-2018 09:40 PM

If I could afford one I would buy one so ****ing fast lol. My next car purchase isn't till 2025 at the earliest if I can help it. I'll see what used Teslas are going for then.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobbything 10-11-2018 09:43 PM

Are Tesla’s at the point where we know how reliable they are? Cost of repairs, etc?

I think they are slick looking vehicles and fun to drive. I considered a base model last year. Decided against it because they’re still so new.

Instetested inseeing how this company progresses.

htismaqe 10-11-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13808550)
Yeah OP - what is it that you do there?

Sweeps floors, cleans toilets, you know...

LOL

JK

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-11-2018 09:50 PM

Is the drivetrain still only rated to last around 60K miles?

TrebMaxx 10-11-2018 09:58 PM

I would rather have DJ's left nut's Camaro TBH!

Chief Pagan 10-11-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13808489)

Not really. I actually pay some poor sap in India $0.99 / hr to post messages for me.

DaFace 10-11-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13808569)
Are Tesla’s at the point where we know how reliable they are? Cost of repairs, etc?

I think they are slick looking vehicles and fun to drive. I considered a base model last year. Decided against it because they’re still so new.

Instetested inseeing how this company progresses.

Consumer Reports called the Model S "above average" and the Model 3 "average" in late 2017, though I don't really have a feel for how they had a rating at all for the latter at that point.

DaFace 10-11-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13808577)
Is the drivetrain still only rated to last around 60K miles?

Pretty sure that was only on some of the earliest models. They're warranted for 8 years, unlimited miles on the battery and drive units these days.