ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The ethics of get-it-yourself refills. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318082)

displacedinMN 10-10-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13804020)
I order a "water cup" at no charge and then get soda/pop when nobody is looking. Sprite is ideal...especially if it's a little flat. If anyone snitches, they get stitches.

that is the crime

Renegade 10-10-2018 06:34 AM

Also why do I receive the smallest cup possible when I order water? My thirst is just as much as those drinking soda (or pop).

loochy 10-10-2018 06:34 AM

Always get a small. The actual material cost of soda is like $.05. Don't feel bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 10-10-2018 06:43 AM

Have any of you owned a business that serves soda?

It’s been 10 years since I have, and I can tell you it more than .05 material per drink.

I think our material cost with cup was around .50-.60 per 32oz soda. That’s what Pepsi charged.

Prefer coke though, but their service out here sucked.m

Beer is a huge profit item.

Prison Bitch 10-10-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13804020)
I order a "water cup" at no charge and then get soda/pop when nobody is looking. Sprite is ideal...especially if it's a little flat. If anyone snitches, they get stitches.

This^

patteeu 10-10-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 13803976)
Order the damn small. The mark up on soda is criminal. If your strategy was a problem they wouldn't offer free refills. All the soda you can drink will end up costing them like 7 cents.

This. How can this even be a question? As long as you're playing by the rules set by the restaurant, how can there be an ethical problem here? I'm shocked that there are people voting for other options.

If you need a crazy rationale for doing the right thing, you can feel good about generating a smaller amount of trash for the landfills if you buy the smaller cup instead of a giant cup you didn't really need.

Katipan 10-10-2018 07:13 AM

If this is a machine that has to dispense many flavors from one spout then the big cup is mandatory.

Otherwise you have to stand there letting the soda machine flush out whatever nasty Mtn. Dew Blast that the previous person used every single time you refill your tiny ass water cup.

Frosty 10-10-2018 07:13 AM

Soft drinks are too expensive in restaurants. I get a free water cup and just drink water during a meal. I can then swing by a mini mart and fill my own cup for under a dollar if I want pop.

Katipan 10-10-2018 07:16 AM

$3.00 for a large soda at BK.

The ****?

Fish 10-10-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 13804153)
If this is a machine that has to dispense many flavors from one spout then the big cup is mandatory.

Otherwise you have to stand there letting the soda machine flush out whatever nasty Mtn. Dew Blast that the previous person used every single time you refill your tiny ass water cup.

Yeah, I hate that. I don't drink pop and every time I try and get a water from one of those, it's tainted with color from some nasty soda syrup.

Those things are giant petri dishes too. All those dirty hands pawing at the screen....

wazu 10-10-2018 07:22 AM

Definitely small. Think of it this way: If you only drink half a glass do you think they’re gonna give you half your money back?

Randallflagg 10-10-2018 07:29 AM

ROFL

My Wife throws a fit if we go to say, Arby's, and I order anything but a small drink...she says "Damnit old man, you can cart your ass back up there and refill your cup".. :)

And she is right. The other thing that always kind of makes me a tad pissed off are these folks who stand at the fountain and fill their cups all the way up to the very top, drink a bit and fill it up over and over again. Geez folks, you CAN drink it and go back.... :shrug:

Katipan 10-10-2018 07:35 AM

This thread is fascinating.

Places like Arbys does a lot of volume on meal packages and when you upsize your curly fries, the drink comes with it.

If your wife has a problem with large orders of curly fries you may want to consider divorce.

DanT 10-10-2018 07:44 AM

i take into account how big a size i want to leave the restaurant with (on my last refill), so usually i get something bigger than a small.

Frosty 10-10-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 13804221)
i take into account how big a size i want to leave the restaurant with (on my last refill), so usually i get something bigger than a small.

Exactly. Plus, there is normally only like a 30 cent difference between a large and small.