ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football David Tepper purchases Carolina Panthers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315365)

DJJasonp 05-15-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13557137)

Current crop has unbelievable instant choice for entertainment via Netflix/xbox/ipad/internet with zero commercials nor scheduling around live events/times.

There's a reason Esports is taking off (and with big money involved).

North America alone had revenues of 257 million in 2017 - with expected doubling of that figure to 607 million by 2020.

Interesting info on this: https://newzoo.com/insights/articles...llion-in-2017/

srvy 05-15-2018 09:13 AM

As much as I try I just cant seem to give a shit over who buys the Carolina Panthers.

ChiefsCountry 05-15-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13557054)
Can't imagine Panthers fans love this. Diehard Steelers fan (hello Jimmy Haslem), no local ties to Charlotte, no connection to football other than a business interest, all in time to fleece the city on a shitty stadium deal. The city would have been better off with a guy like Ben Navarro who at least grew up in the Carolinas in a football family. I still think the NFL needs to embrace celebrities and ex-athletes as minority owners, the way the NBA has embraced guys like Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z, and the MLB has embraced Jeter, Magic, and Nolan Ryan (the Dolphins are the only NFL team that even remotely does this). It's hard to find anything exciting about this. The NFL needs owners who connect with the fans and I can't imagine this accomplishes that in any way whatsoever.

Even though Navarro was a far better fit and bid more $, Tepper was picked because he's already in the NFL owner's inner circle. Says a lot about why NFL owners suck.

He was picked because he didn't need partners to buy the team. Don't be ****ing stupid which is hard for you.

tyton75 05-15-2018 09:27 AM

With sports gambling becoming legalized.. I'd say the NFL is safe for the foreseeable future.

COchief 05-15-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 13557208)
With sports gambling becoming legalized.. I'd say the NFL is safe for the foreseeable future.

There are some bright forward thinkers looking ahead and they know it's certain death, gambling will greatly reduce the chances of that or at least prolong it.

chiefzilla1501 05-15-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13557196)
He was picked because he didn't need partners to buy the team. Don't be ****ing stupid which is hard for you.

Navarro offered more money. He is from the Carolinas. His dad was a football coach.

Tepper was the choice because he's a rooney guy. And they knew the owners would approve of it quickly. Even though he's not local and is a diehard fan of a different team.

Sorry to burst your contrarian bubble. This was a safe move by owners who wanted another owner to join their groupthink circle jerk.

ChiefsCountry 05-15-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13557390)
Navarro offered more money. He is from the Carolinas. His dad was a football coach.

Tepper was the choice because he's a rooney guy. And they knew the owners would approve of it quickly. Even though he's not local and is a diehard fan of a different team.

Sorry to burst your contrarian bubble. This was a safe move by owners who wanted another owner to join their groupthink circle jerk.

You are so ****ing stupid it hurts. Navarro didn't have the cash. Bottom line you moron.
Quote:

Another bidder, Ben Navarro, who owns a financial investment group, was unable to raise the estimated $2.6 billion he was said to have offered. Questions were also being raised about his holdings in companies that offer credit cards to low-income consumers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/s...id-tepper.html

chiefzilla1501 05-15-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13557399)
You are so ****ing stupid it hurts. Navarro didn't have the cash. Bottom line you moron.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/s...id-tepper.html

Rubin was told $2.5b minimum which is a $300k premium over Teppers offer. Navarro is being blamed for not being able to raise cash even though he offered $400k above Teppers offer. Thats considering that navarro should get the team for cheaper since hes local and likely much more passionate about the teams success. It's great that all of a sudden raising cash is a red flag, meanwhile Jimmy haslem flew through the vetting process while running a completely corrupt business. Oh wait... Haslem was ALSO a rooney guy, minority steelers owner who the owners knew. Hmmm.......

Tepper was sold to because the owners knew him and vetted him. Because Richardson likes rooney. Tepper isn't local. He's a diehard steelers fan. He may be the richest and offered the most cash, but he didn't even put in the highest bid. If I'm a panthers fan I'd want a guy whose local and roots for my team,especially knowing there are plenty of more than competitive offers. I know, what a weird wish list. Damn obvious the league was in the can for Tepper because hes an inner circle guy.

Halfcan 05-15-2018 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder if he will keep the uniforms?

MahiMike 05-15-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13556661)
Hot take: that's about a $950 million overpay.

Don't @ me.

Sure is. I know a bubble when I see one. Good for Richardson.

HemiEd 05-16-2018 04:51 AM

Some interesting posts in this thread.

I heard on the radio recently that viewership of video game competition is higher than the NFL by a wide margin now.

Holy crap, what have we done?

Hydrae 05-16-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13557478)
Rubin was told $2.5b minimum which is a $300k premium over Teppers offer. Navarro is being blamed for not being able to raise cash even though he offered $400k $400M above Teppers offer. Thats considering that navarro should get the team for cheaper since hes local and likely much more passionate about the teams success. It's great that all of a sudden raising cash is a red flag, meanwhile Jimmy haslem flew through the vetting process while running a completely corrupt business. Oh wait... Haslem was ALSO a rooney guy, minority steelers owner who the owners knew. Hmmm.......

Tepper was sold to because the owners knew him and vetted him. Because Richardson likes rooney. Tepper isn't local. He's a diehard steelers fan. He may be the richest and offered the most cash, but he didn't even put in the highest bid. If I'm a panthers fan I'd want a guy whose local and roots for my team,especially knowing there are plenty of more than competitive offers. I know, what a weird wish list. Damn obvious the league was in the can for Tepper because hes an inner circle guy.

Fixed

chiefzilla1501 05-16-2018 11:31 AM

Pretty much everywhere on Twitter that this move was made because he was already a part owner and the other owners knew him. Every insider is saying this.

Also, Ben navarro met league financing requirements.

This was a croney move by the ownership inner circle. Plain and simple. It's not a bad move. But it's indicative of why the NFL is stuck.