ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5887465)
I'm sure he will. I know the guy, hes a big time movie buff. I pretty much respect his opinion about Movies/TV more than anyone I know.

In other news, anyone gonna catch District 9?

That trailer looks SO cool. Very creative. Thanks for the props by the way.

Thanks again for the DVD frazod :thumb:

Buck 07-08-2009 01:10 PM

I never read the Harry Potter books, but the movies are pretty much always blockbuster hits. I'll be seeing this for sure this weekend.

Swanman 07-08-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5887483)
I never read the Harry Potter books, but the movies are pretty much always blockbuster hits. I'll be seeing this for sure this weekend.

So far, with the exception of Prisoner of Azkaban, the movies have kinda sucked compared to the books. Being a Stephen King fan, I am used to that. Hopefully with the last 3 movies covering the last two books, they remain more faithful to the books.

Reaper16 07-08-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 5887497)
So far, with the exception of Prisoner of Azkaban, the movies have kinda sucked compared to the books. Being a Stephen King fan, I am used to that. Hopefully with the last 3 movies covering the last two books, they remain more faithful to the books.

Alfonso Cuaron is the man.

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

In their defense though the books are really long and have a lot of info which will not always work in a 150 minute movie

Buck 07-08-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887510)
In their defense though the books are really long and have a lot of info which will not always work in a 150 minute movie

Exactly. Thats why I didn't read them.

My motto is that if a book is longer than 100 pages, and at least 25% of the pages aren't just pictures, I don't read it.

Reaper16 07-08-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5887515)
Exactly. Thats why I didn't read them.

My motto is that if a book is longer than 100 pages, and at least 25% of the pages aren't just pictures, I don't read it.

:( :( :( :( :(

EDIT: our esteemed MediaCenterJunkie doesn't actually feel this way, but these frowny faces still apply to anyone who does.

Frazod 07-08-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Never read the books, either. I really liked all the movies except for Goblet of Fire, which was just okay.

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887529)
Never read the books, either. I really liked all the movies except for Goblet of Fire, which was just okay.

I read the books and really enjoyed them. Goblet of Fire is easily one of my favorites though the movie didn't do it justice. It was the first one where I felt too much was left out. Plus they answer the mystery of the movie at the very begining, unlike the book which kept you guessing

irishjayhawk 07-08-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

I'm an avid HP fan and I gotta say with the exception of #3, the movies - for the lack of a better term - suck balls. Ugh.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5887504)
Alfonso Cuaron is the man.

Yep. Both apply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887510)

See, I understand that movies need to have some liberties over their adaptations. Take I Am Legend for example. Brilliant book worthy of adaptation. I even grant the whole manickan aspect (which isn't in the book) to portray his inner mind (basically the whole book). That was clever and I bought it. The end, however, was atrocious. It's not even a bastard child of the book. It's horrendous. Period.

Then take HP. Book 5 had an awesome climax and resolution. The book barely scraps it. It should have been 2 movies just like 7. The Minstry battle was absurd with little blobs flying around. Ugh, it was pathetic.

I could go on for hours about the movies being utter wastes of time. For now, I'll just say I await the remakes when people who grew up reading them make the movies rather than filmmakers who are capitalizing on the wave of those reading and growing up on them. I think those future movies will slaughter these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887529)

At least we both agree #4 is worse than the rest. Though I would substitute: "a bag of dog shit is better than 4" instead of "okay".

Swanman 07-08-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887573)
I read the books and really enjoyed them. Goblet of Fire is easily one of my favorites though the movie didn't do it justice. It was the first one where I felt too much was left out. Plus they answer the mystery of the movie at the very begining, unlike the book which kept you guessing

My 2 main complaints with the Potter movies so far:

1. In Azkaban, they never explain who created the Marauders Map. That ends up being fairly important in the remaining books.

2. Then end of Order of the Phoenix, the book is about a billion times better than the movie. In the movie, all the kids come away completely unscathed, the book was a lot more realistic.

Buck 07-08-2009 01:45 PM

Damn I didn't know there was such hatred towards the movies.

Maybe its better to watch the movies first then read the books?

Obviously I was kidding about my earlier statement about how I only read short books.

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 5887596)
My 2 main complaints with the Potter movies so far:

1. In Azkaban, they never explain who created the Marauders Map. That ends up being fairly important in the remaining books.

2. Then end of Order of the Phoenix, the book is about a billion times better than the movie. In the movie, all the kids come away completely unscathed, the book was a lot more realistic.

My complaint about the 5th movie is just that, the ministry fight sequence. The scene where they are all battling is pretty bad ass. The Hall of Prophecy scene was lame. There was no "Brain Room" which I was really looking forward to seeing wasn't even in there. The fight between Dumblebore and Voldemort was ok at best. Could have been done much better. None of these are going to turn out perfect but its cool to see them on screen nonetheless. Some of the casting has been great though (The new teachers each movie for instance have been pretty great, Black, McGonougal, Lucious all great casting. P.S. I liked the first Dumbledore better.)

irishjayhawk 07-08-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5887601)
Damn I didn't know there was such hatred towards the movies.

Maybe its better to watch the movies first then read the books?

Obviously I was kidding about my earlier statement about how I only read short books.

Well, let's just say that there are certain parts of 6's trailer than lead me to believe they once again completely made shit up.

But yes, that's what I'd advise. The books are way better. And for those that think the writing is juvenile or whatnot, Stephen King lauds them. That's good enough for me.

irishjayhawk 07-08-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887613)
My complaint about the 5th movie is just that, the ministry fight sequence. The scene where they are all battling is pretty bad ass. The Hall of Prophecy scene was lame. There was no "Brain Room" which I was really looking forward to seeing wasn't even in there. The fight between Dumblebore and Voldemort was ok at best. Could have been done much better. None of these are going to turn out perfect but its cool to see them on screen nonetheless. Some of the casting has been great though (The new teachers each movie for instance have been pretty great, Black, McGonougal, Lucious all great casting. P.S. I liked the first Dumbledore better.)

Okay at best is being generous. Flying Glass, water and fire? None of that is really in the book.

Ugh, don't get me started. Sirius' death? Lame.