ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887324)
Im pretty sure I have said repeatedly that I have no problem with unhappy endings. I dont think everything should always end happy cause it doesn't. So make sure you actually read the post next time. Apparently I haven't made my opinion on this clear enough despite the many times I have said it.

so why then dislike the ending? you are saying so many different things that you're now contradicting yourself.

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 5887317)
Seems to me that the car accident scene at the end just drilled home the feeling that anyone is subject to random shit happening and no one is ever completely in control. By having the unstoppable killer get blindsided like that just showed that no one is above that. That's what I got out of it anyway.

ditto

Buck 07-08-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887346)
It's a standard argument for the NCFOM defenders - "you don't get it, you wanted it to end like Mary Poppins!"

Yeah, that's it. I must have a happy ending. I guess that's why Glory and Doctor Zhivago are two of my favorite movies. And The Godfather Parts I and II - sure was nice to see Michael Corleone come out on top - what a wonderful fellow he turned out to be!

I dont think thats it.

You are arguing that we are saying that you wanted a Happy Ending. However we are actually arguing that you wanted a more-badass ending (or a more complete ending) just like 815 has been saying.

However, I don't get why we all cant just agree to disagree, how the hell did this movie even get brought back up?

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887346)
It's a standard argument for the NCFOM defenders - "you don't get it, you wanted it to end like Mary Poppins!"

Yeah, that's it. I must have a happy ending. I guess that's why Glory and Doctor Zhivago are two of my favorite movies. And The Godfather Parts I and II - sure was nice to see Michael Corleone come out on top - what a wonderful fellow he turned out to be!

Some people watch NCFOM and don't "get it" at first. It's not easy formulaic cinema and it forces you to contemplate.

Then once it's explained to them or they come conclusions on their own they can become angry that such a thing would cause them effort and make them think. Then they get mad that other people would actually LIKE such a thing and try to act like they knew what it was all along and only snobs and bundle of stickss would like that type of movie.

ARGGHGHGHGHGHHHH ME NO LIKE bundle of sticksS AND THEIR ARTSY MOVIES! SMASH SMASH!!

Baby Lee 07-08-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887286)
So is the YOU'RE A ****ING NEANDERTHAL IF YOU DON'T THINK THIS MOVIE IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR!!!!!1121 thing.

Nobody's saying that. But your 'I understand every aspect of this film and it metaphysically sucks because it doesn't make any sense to me' stance is simultaneously untenable and condescending.

The irony, as I stated earlier, is that you understand it enough to be disappointed, but can't bring yourself to examine that disappointment sufficient to see what the movie accomplished.

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5887361)
I dont think thats it.

You are arguing that we are saying that you wanted a Happy Ending. However we are actually arguing that you wanted a more-badass ending (or a more complete ending) just like 815 has been saying.

However, I don't get why we all cant just agree to disagree, how the hell did this movie even get brought back up?

Great art can do that. Most people won't remember 99% of the movies from last year but everybody has an opinion on NCFOM

Frazod 07-08-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 5887366)
Some people watch NCFOM and don't "get it" at first. It's not easy formulaic cinema and it forces you to contemplate.

Then once it's explained to them or they come conclusions on their own they can become angry that such a thing would cause them effort and make them think. Then they get mad that other people would actually LIKE such a thing and try to act like they knew what it was all along and only snobs and bundle of stickss would like that type of movie.

ARGGHGHGHGHGHHHH ME NO LIKE bundle of sticksS AND THEIR ARTSY MOVIES! SMASH SMASH!!

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Chazz. Please forgive me.

I'll add you to the long list of geniouses here who just can't understand that it's possible to understand the ending and not like it.

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 5887347)
so why then dislike the ending? you are saying so many different things that you're now contradicting yourself.

I never contradicted myself. I loved the movie, I understood the ending and have no problem with it besides the feeling it left me of sitting through this 2+ hour long epic movie only for it to feel like it has no ending. Huge Coen fan, also a fan of all the actors, great performances, awesome movie until the end which wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as epic as the rest of the movie. If there was a way they could have kept the same meaning (which I liked) but still made it epic that would have been perfect. The whole movie had really cool stuff going on the whole time, until the end which felt just like the rest of the movie

So for anyone who is not clear yet, I LIKED THE MOVIE. a lot. but it wasn't perfect, especially the ending, despite liking the meaning behind it. a lot

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic815Survivor (Post 5887379)
I never contradicted myself. I loved the movie, I understood the ending and have no problem with it besides the feeling it left me of sitting through this 2+ hour long epic movie only for it to feel like it has no ending. Huge Coen fan, also a fan of all the actors, great performances, awesome movie until the end which wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as epic as the rest of the movie. If there was a way they could have kept the same meaning (which I liked) but still made it epic that would have been perfect. The whole movie had really cool stuff going on the whole time, until the end which felt just like the rest of the movie

So for anyone who is not clear yet, I LIKED THE MOVIE. a lot. but it wasn't perfect, especially the ending, despite liking the meaning behind it. a lot

blame it on the material. they made a movie of cormac mccarthy's book. you can't just change a ****ing ending of somebody elses work to keep the masses happy. jesus

Reaper16 07-08-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

You are slipping into incoherency. How could they make it "more epic" without compromising the meaning of the film? Also, if the "whole movie had really cool stuff going on the whole time" then how did the end "fe[eel] just like the rest of the movie?" (since the rest of the movie had really cool stuff the whole time)

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5887378)
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Chazz. Please forgive me.

I'll add you to the long list of geniouses here who just can't understand that it's possible to understand the ending and not like it.

Here here :clap:

Baby Lee 07-08-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

I'd humbly [really] suggest another viewing. I've NEVER liked a Coen brothers movie as much the first time as subsequently. And I LOVE every single one of their movies [except The Man Who Wasn't There and Ladykillers, both of which I've only seen once].

Frazod 07-08-2009 12:49 PM

By the way, I bought the DVD of this movie based on the wonderful reviews it received. As a result, I now own a DVD I'll never watch again.

So, as a gesture of goodwill to all the Chazzes out there, I'll mail the ****ing thing to the first person who PMs me their address. Free of charge.

L.A. Chieffan 07-08-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 5887388)
I'd humbly [really] suggest another viewing. I've NEVER liked a Coen brothers movie as much the first time as subsequently. And I LOVE every single one of their movies [except The Man Who Wasn't There and Ladykillers, both of which I've only seen once].

Man Who Wasn't There is great. Watch it again, seriously. Plus Scarletts in it.

Oceanic815Survivor 07-08-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5887384)
You are slipping into incoherency. How could they make it "more epic" without compromising the meaning of the film? Also, if the "whole movie had really cool stuff going on the whole time" then how did the end "fe[eel] just like the rest of the movie?" (since the rest of the movie had really cool stuff the whole time)

The end felt like the slower parts of the movie and I kept waiting for a cool ending stuff that never came. Why cant it be epic and keep the same meaning? Just cause you cant think of a way to do it doesn't mean its not possible. Because its based on a book though and is 99% accurate to it, I have no problem with the ending, in fact, I would have been more upset if they changed the end of the book for the movie (I hate that) I just didn't like the ending cause I was expecting more after a bad ass movie like it had been for the first 2 hours