ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

DJ's left nut 02-01-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 17376003)
I’m completely underwhelmed and disappointed (again).

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

No. Worse than that. In fact, I think it’s absolute dogshit and not just because all the male characters are either incompetent, weak, or wife-beating criminals. But to that point, the writers want us to believe militant lesbians *ahem* …er… women running a small Alaskan village is rather commonplace; much like a mostly female construction or coal mining crew, or maybe a female led wildland firefighting team (insert eye roll). Clearly, they purposely reversed all the roles of traditional male characters to female, and set the story in a remote Alaskan village, which would absolutely never be this way in reality.

The dialogue is awkward and the acting is wooden. Nobody talks like these characters do in real life, and for a series that started off ten years ago with intelligent writing and directing—it’s insulting.

I could write a short essay on how terribly bad the storyline in episode one is alone; the bodies are found by a ghost doing interpretive dance. No shit; a f***ing ghost doing interpretive dance. What-the-f**k ever…Cringey ‘symbolism’ with a magical polar bear, bad CGI caribou that leap to their death in slo-mo; oooooh, that’s creepy! I stopped after one episode. I just don’t care.

Each successive iteration of this show seems to get progressively worse, but this season it bottoms out.

I'm not watching it because this show lost me about midway through S2 and I never finished S3 either. It just couldn't recapture the magic of S1 and now it's just a run of the mill procedural trading on goodwill that's long in the rearview (and built, in part, on Alexandra Dadarrio's truly stunning rack).

That said - it's not all that out of the realm that you'd have women in these roles. Read "Ranger Confidential" if you have some time - good book. Written by a woman that ran the Rangers service at Yosemite and worked in various national parks. It's among the least organized and coherent books I've ever read, but as a sort of memoir and series of stories that provide some behind the scenes information about working in Park Services, it's pretty fascinating.

Yes, women are less common than men in these jobs. They're not absent, nor are they excluded from positions of leadership. Moreover, in order for women to get the full-time gigs with benefits and retirement, they have to go take some fairly shitty jobs along the way. I mean ultimately that applies to men as well for these gigs (there are a lot of folks with forestry backgrounds hunting for these jobs; most of them end up as part-time contract labor), but because of how few women there are in the area, the climb can be steeper.

I don't have anything else to add to the show really, but that's not completely beyond belief that a couple women would end up taking a gig in a shit burg of a town because they're trying to find a full-time position and use it as a stepping stone. Maybe she convinces a colleague to also come with her and so now you have 2 women up there because nobody else really wanted to pull up stakes and move to Alaska.

ToxSocks 02-01-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17379254)
I'm not watching it because this show lost me about midway through S2 and I never finished S3 either. It just couldn't recapture the magic of S1 and now it's just a run of the mill procedural trading on goodwill that's long in the rearview (and built, in part, on Alexandra Dadarrio's truly stunning rack).

That said - it's not all that out of the realm that you'd have women in these roles. Read "Ranger Confidential" if you have some time - good book. Written by a woman that ran the Rangers service at Yosemite and worked in various national parks. It's among the least organized and coherent books I've ever read, but as a sort of memoir and series of stories that provide some behind the scenes information about working in Park Services, it's pretty fascinating.

Yes, women are less common than men in these jobs. They're not absent, nor are they excluded from positions of leadership. Moreover, in order for women to get the full-time gigs with benefits and retirement, they have to go take some fairly shitty jobs along the way. I mean ultimately that applies to men as well for these gigs (there are a lot of folks with forestry backgrounds hunting for these jobs; most of them end up as part-time contract labor), but because of how few women there are in the area, the climb can be steeper.

I don't have anything else to add to the show really, but that's not completely beyond belief that a couple women would end up taking a gig in a shit burg of a town because they're trying to find a full-time position and use it as a stepping stone. Maybe she convinces a colleague to also come with her and so now you have 2 women up there because nobody else really wanted to pull up stakes and move to Alaska.

Yeah but...i get what he's saying. It's not just that they're women. It's that the dialogue and characters really do feel like they were written for a man. I told my wife the same exact thing while watching one of the episodes. Especially Jodie Foster's character.

staylor26 02-01-2024 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 17379268)
Yeah but...i get what he's saying. It's not just that they're women. It's that the dialogue and characters really do feel like they were written for a man. I told my wife the same exact thing while watching one of the episodes. Especially Jodie Foster's character.

I swear I said the same exact shit to my wife. Both detectives have the personality of men.

"How many guys in this town has Jodie Foster's character ****ed? She ****s like a dude!"

KCUnited 02-01-2024 10:40 AM

Jodie Foster's character being accused of being a Mrs Robinson had me rolling

Whats most annoying to me is how unnecessary all the extra stuff is in what is an amazing setting for a True Detective season

Its perfect. Middle of nowhere, low on resources, 2 months without sunlight making people crazy, the dynamic of the indigenous people and culture, the ****ing ice everywhere. Its really perfect and they're bogging it down with some silly role portrayals and brutal pacing

ToxSocks 02-01-2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17379300)

Whats most annoying to me is how unnecessary all the extra stuff is in what is an amazing setting for a True Detective season

Its perfect. Middle of nowhere, low on resources, 2 months without sunlight making people crazy, the dynamic of the indigenous people and culture, the ****ing ice everywhere. Its really perfect and they're bogging it down with some silly role portrayals and brutal pacing

Exactly what pulled my wife and I in. She's a huge fan of the movie "30 days of night" and Ep1 gave some strong 30 days of night vibes.

Despite my criticisms ive been enjoying the show and will likely see it through to the end. But the last episode was a combination of feminist cringe and sleep inducing dialogue. Was a tough one to get through.

Pepe Silvia 02-01-2024 12:21 PM

Its a shame we all have to get old. I remember Jodie Foster looking pretty good in Maverick.

KCUnited 02-01-2024 12:29 PM

FTR I'm not hating on Foster's looks

She's 61 and playing the role of Sherriff talking about her Tinder account that's a bit silly

But yeah, the actual story and setting is interesting and I'll definitely see it through in hopes that it gets somewhere eventually

staylor26 02-01-2024 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17379472)
FTR I'm not hating on Foster's looks

She's 61 and playing the role of Sherriff talking about her Tinder account that's a bit silly

But yeah, the actual story and setting is interesting and I'll definitely see it through in hopes that it gets somewhere eventually

The tinder and fantasy football shit is super cringe.

I'm actually enjoying the show, but there are definitely some issues.

blake5676 02-01-2024 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17379482)
I'm actually enjoying the show, but there's definitely some issues.

I think I'm halfway enjoying it, but almost unsure. There's too much supernatural in it thus far for my liking. I'll finish it as there's only 3 episodes left, but I'd be shocked if I end up liking this season better than the 3rd and obviously not in the same stratosphere as the 1st.

Fish 02-01-2024 01:15 PM

They are simply wasting all the creepy cool potential being built up. Need some kind of payoff.

Shoes 02-05-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17379482)
The tinder and fantasy football shit is super cringe.

I'm actually enjoying the show, but there are definitely some issues.

There's a theory that Jodie Foster's character is the one catfishing Hank Prior- since Danvers phone keeps popping up with notifications. Thought it was interesting and makes more sense.

ToxSocks 02-05-2024 01:04 PM

Tried watching last night. Got about 10mins in and then just ended up banging the wife. Only scene i recall is that one chick getting her ass beat by 3 dudes.

BigBeauford 02-05-2024 03:47 PM

The entertainment I get from reading reactions on this show and other shows like Rings of Power are probably much better than watching the show. Keep the curmudgeon coming!

Shoes 02-07-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17379554)
They are simply wasting all the creepy cool potential being built up. Need some kind of payoff.

100%- the setting of an isolated Alaskan town in darkness for weeks is the perfect atmosphere of what could be a real creepy show. Unfortunately the writing has been awful, haven't really advanced the plot or leaned into creating scenes and situations that can really let the setting of the show shine. Too many shitty character conflicts with characters the audience has no connection to.

First episode set the table fairly well but it's been downhill after that.

|Zach| 02-07-2024 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoes (Post 17383623)
There's a theory that Jodie Foster's character is the one catfishing Hank Prior- since Danvers phone keeps popping up with notifications. Thought it was interesting and makes more sense.

Ok, that is funny to think about.

|Zach| 02-07-2024 10:38 AM

I like it for the most part but a little tired of this "something wild will happen in the last 5 mins" thing and agree with whoever mentioned they are looking for a payoff.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new season of True Detective is a mystery where the audience has to try to understand why two extra-strength gay women are supposed to be straight</p>&mdash; Julia Claire (@ohJuliatweets) <a href="https://twitter.com/ohJuliatweets/status/1754553807953097180?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiTown 02-07-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17383945)
The entertainment I get from reading reactions on this show and other shows like Rings of Power are probably much better than watching the show. Keep the curmudgeon coming!

This has NOTHING to do with being a curmudgeon. This has to do with a show that winds itself up so tight be "explosive" and "mind twisting", when it's really just a jumbled mess of pig shit intertwined with worst story telling of ANY series I've ever watched. If you dig it, then good on ya, but S4 of TD makes S2 look like a ****ing masterpiece, IMO.

BigBeauford 02-07-2024 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 17386540)
This has NOTHING to do with being a curmudgeon. This has to do with a show that winds itself up so tight be "explosive" and "mind twisting", when it's really just a jumbled mess of pig shit intertwined with worst story telling of ANY series I've ever watched. If you dig it, then good on ya, but S4 of TD makes S2 look like a ****ing masterpiece, IMO.

I'm not suggesting this in a negative tone. I really enjoy reading reactions to shows that fumble the bag like this.

SithCeNtZ 02-13-2024 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoes (Post 17386291)
100%- the setting of an isolated Alaskan town in darkness for weeks is the perfect atmosphere of what could be a real creepy show. Unfortunately the writing has been awful, haven't really advanced the plot or leaned into creating scenes and situations that can really let the setting of the show shine. Too many shitty character conflicts with characters the audience has no connection to.

First episode set the table fairly well but it's been downhill after that.

It's a show that can't really figure out what it wants to be. If you want to make it about ghosts and a crazy murder(?) and mysterious videos of people being killed then you have to go all in and focus on that. If you want it to be less about the murder and more about the characters like season 1, then focus on that. Instead we have neither. There's been very little actual detective work, and most of it that has been done centers in on a murder that wasn't even the original one we see in episode 1 anyway.

I still have no idea what they could possibly find in these caves that will explain anything. The leader of the mining company saying "they can't get in those caves at all costs" was just really funny to me. Like the original murder they are investigating and maybe happened there was years ago. If you are part of some vast corporate coverup, you've had plenty of time to clean things up.

I guess the only explanation that makes sense is they are going to find out in the caves that there is some kind of chemical that is getting into the water and it causes some people to have hallucinations and go crazy and that's what happened in the original murder and the scientists at the station were trying to find a cure or something for it but it ended up getting them.

L.A. Chieffan 02-13-2024 10:42 AM

This is like watching a WB movie. So bored, bad writing.

BigBeauford 02-13-2024 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 17399726)
It's a show that can't really figure out what it wants to be. If you want to make it about ghosts and a crazy murder(?) and mysterious videos of people being killed then you have to go all in and focus on that. If you want it to be less about the murder and more about the characters like season 1, then focus on that. Instead we have neither. There's been very little actual detective work, and most of it that has been done centers in on a murder that wasn't even the original one we see in episode 1 anyway.

I still have no idea what they could possibly find in these caves that will explain anything. The leader of the mining company saying "they can't get in those caves at all costs" was just really funny to me. Like the original murder they are investigating and maybe happened there was years ago. If you are part of some vast corporate coverup, you've had plenty of time to clean things up.

I guess the only explanation that makes sense is they are going to find out in the caves that there is some kind of chemical that is getting into the water and it causes some people to have hallucinations and go crazy and that's what happened in the original murder and the scientists at the station were trying to find a cure or something for it but it ended up getting them.

This would be unbelievably dumb; just a little less so than someone "waking up and it was all a dream". This is basically the plot from Zootopia.

KCUnited 02-13-2024 07:24 PM

Woof they’ve checking all boxes except cohesive story, realistic timelines and rooting cause

TwistedChief 02-18-2024 10:35 PM

Not a great season. But I think at least it ended in a way that didn’t involve fantasy and was more cohesive. Just wish episodes 2-5 didn’t veer off course as they did.

RIP True Detective. Season 1 was the apex of TV and 3 kept the dream alive.

BWillie 02-19-2024 12:06 AM

I really liked it. Certainly better than season 2 and it seemed to have purpose even outside of the main characters. I bet if the main characters were men more people would have liked it. It had a great unique location where you get a great feel of the local culture, a staple of True Detective past seasons.

|Zach| 02-19-2024 02:31 AM

Enjoyed it overall. Wrapped up nicely.

|Zach| 02-19-2024 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 17399726)

I guess I do not really understand why something has to be so rigidly set in these lanes you set up to be good.

Mysterious possibly supernatural things being explained by a more realistic series of events feels like a pretty well worn path that a lot of good movies\shows have followed.

ChiTown 02-19-2024 01:10 PM

I felt like I wandered through the desert, aimlessly, for the first 4 episodes. I mean, I had no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it. Then, out of nowhere, they decide to get some focus and purpose in the final 2 episodes - which were REALLY damn good, IMO. Last night's episode (and really E5 as well) was fantastic, and what I had hoped for the whole series.

I may have to go back and rewatch in another 6 mos or so to see if I can pick up some things I missed.

Zebedee DuBois 02-19-2024 04:57 PM

The initial scene of the last episode, where they are in the ice caves really triggered the claustrophobia I sometimes deal with. Perhaps amplified by something I took. I had to turn it off and wait until the next day to be able to watch the episode. ...but that's just me and my neurosis.

I enjoyed the story. I give it a solid B.

SithCeNtZ 02-19-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17409395)
I guess I do not really understand why something has to be so rigidly set in these lanes you set up to be good.

Mysterious possibly supernatural things being explained by a more realistic series of events feels like a pretty well worn path that a lot of good movies\shows have followed.

While I agree with you that generally this is possible, in this case it lead to having really weak plot lines that were a waste of time and diluted the show. Pete and his wife is a good example. She gets super upset with him for working really hard for a few days and suddenly this is basically grounds for divorce? Not even acknowledging, you know, the huge unsolved murder that might be a little more important than your test, which is right at Christmas for some reason. And of course in the last episode she kisses him and all is forgiven...?

Spoiler!

smith11 02-20-2024 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 17410360)
While I agree with you that generally this is possible, in this case it lead to having really weak plot lines that were a waste of time and diluted the show. Pete and his wife is a good example. She gets super upset with him for working really hard for a few days and suddenly this is basically grounds for divorce? Not even acknowledging, you know, the huge unsolved murder that might be a little more important than your test, which is right at Christmas for some reason. And of course in the last episode she kisses him and all is forgiven...?

Spoiler!

given this show came from HBO I think the message was that vigilante justice is ok if you're killing white guys i.e Navarro and the lady janitors...

Fish 02-20-2024 11:57 AM

Ending was kinda meh. Overall it wasn't great, but it wasn't super bad either.

Spoiler!

TinyEvel 02-20-2024 12:27 PM

(scrolled past the spoilers) we just watched up through episode 4. so far pretty boring and all over the place.

Still trying to wrap my head around Jodie Foster sleeping with all the men in town.

Dunerdr 02-20-2024 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 17411083)
(scrolled past the spoilers) we just watched up through episode 4. so far pretty boring and all over the place.

Still trying to wrap my head around Jodie Foster sleeping with all the men in town.

Hottest chick in town obviously.

L.A. Chieffan 02-20-2024 02:44 PM

Just another generic detective show. Bummer

BWillie 02-20-2024 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 17411302)
Just another generic detective show. Bummer

See alot of detective shows in Northern Alaska do ya?

Ill take any over a super hero show.

On The Road Chief 02-20-2024 03:18 PM

To this day I adore the first season but after the second I tapped out. I heard the third rebounded nicely but the fourth is mixed to out and out bad?

blake5676 02-20-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On The Road Chief (Post 17411364)
To this day I adore the first season but after the second I tapped out. I heard the third rebounded nicely but the fourth is mixed to out and out bad?

First season is untouchable. I thought the third season was well done, albeit somewhat slow at times. But the acting and characters were great and I'd say it's more than worth the watch. It's not in the same ballpark as the first but it's still quite good IMO.

I personally couldn't make it through the second season. Gave up and just never revisited. And this most recent was just OK. Don't think I'd watch it again, but it was entertaining enough. I didn't think the characters OR acting was on par with the 1st or 3rd.

BigRedChief 02-21-2024 08:39 AM

Like most here I also think season 1 was one of the best shows on TV, ever. Season 2 was for shit. Nice rebound in season 3. This season lost its way in those middle episodes but finished nicely.

I think what separated this show from others is the quality of the acting. There was some miscasts in this show. Could have been better with better actors.

Jamie 02-24-2024 04:30 PM

I think the ending would have been more believable if they stopped at "a ghost did it."

BWillie 02-24-2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 17416417)
I think the ending would have been more believable if they stopped at "a ghost did it."

Don't know how. Ghosts arent real.

KCUnited 02-24-2024 05:32 PM

They somehow aged Clarice into Barney Fife and packaged it as HBO

Total miss for me

Jamie 02-24-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17416461)
Don't know how. Ghosts arent real.

thatsthejoke.png

But seriously, speaking in terms of a fictional world, ghosts being real is less of a leap than the series of preposterous events the show is asking us to accept.

Why Not? 02-28-2024 08:26 AM

Yeah I watched all of it and to be honest, it kinda sucked. C- at best.

DJay23 02-28-2024 09:52 AM

GF and I were bored by it until the last episode, but were still intrigued and driven by the promise season 1 is still delivering on.

I think the next season I'll wait for someone I trust to tell me whether or not it's worth my time.

BigBeauford 02-28-2024 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 17420855)
GF and I were bored by it until the last episode, but were still intrigued and driven by the promise season 1 is still delivering on.

I think the next season I'll wait for someone I trust to tell me whether or not it's worth my time.

Yeah this is the way to go. All of you watching this car wreck pumped the numbers so high that a fifth season was greenlit with the same show runners.

Chiefnj2 02-28-2024 12:58 PM

What was the deal with the blind polar bear and boomerang oranges?

Zebedee DuBois 02-29-2024 02:06 PM

I think a lot of the disconnect about this season is about the "not real" things the characters are observing. Part of the story is the perpetual night above the arctic circle - and how people's minds start playing tricks on themselves. Loosening their grip on reality. We see some of those things with them - but that doesn't mean they are real.

Fish 02-29-2024 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 17422935)
I think a lot of the disconnect about this season is about the "not real" things the characters are observing. Part of the story is the perpetual night above the arctic circle - and how people's minds start playing tricks on themselves. Loosening their grip on reality. We see some of those things with them - but that doesn't mean they are real.

Booooooooring....