ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

Discuss Thrower 02-08-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14097738)
Maybe I just have bad taste in shoes, I’m really enjoying this season

Agreed.

O.city 02-08-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14097746)
Every time Hayes is going to have sex with his hot wife, they cut away and imply it. Too Bad. She's smokin hot.

Yes very upsetting

O.city 02-08-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14097750)
Agreed.

I dunno, I feel like at this point I’m the series it’s there with season 1

vailpass 02-08-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RN47 (Post 14097225)
I fell asleep during the last 15 minutes of Episode 5. Sorry, it's just not grabbing me at all. This season isn't terrible, it's just achingly slow and so poorly paced as to be uninteresting. I've never seen Mahershala Ali before (not that I can recall), and everyone says he's a great actor-- but he's not doing anything spectacular in this series except trying too hard to be a black quasi Rustin Cohle. I don't think it's his fault, his character is just written that way. There's no angle or subplot that has been dangled or teased in any interesting way to make me care; and again this could be rural Anytown, USA-- they whiffed on working any unique nuances of Arkansas into the script.

My wife turned to me and said she didn't care if we even finished the season. If some weird contractual matter forced the rest of the episodes to go un-aired, I have to say I wouldn't be bothered that much.

I’m in the same camp. I really wanted to like it and it’s just not there. Not a joke like season 2, not a masterpiece like season 1, just...not much there. Moving on.

Chiefspants 02-08-2019 04:41 PM

If Season 1 was Breaking Bad, Season 3 is Better Call Saul.

I love both, but there are clear differences in the pacing and storytelling.

Season 2 was like, the most inane episodes of Ozark or somesuch.

Dallas Chief 02-08-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14097789)
I’m in the same camp. I really wanted to like it and it’s just not there. Not a joke like season 2, not a masterpiece like season 1, just...not much there. Moving on.

Count me in as well. I've given up on anything remotely close to some of the fireworks from season 1.

O.city 02-10-2019 10:00 AM

Well what do we think is gonna happen tonight?

gblowfish 02-10-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14099952)

They'll smoke half a pack.

Discuss Thrower 02-10-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14097770)
I dunno, I feel like at this point I’m the series it’s there with season 1

It's beating S2 in sheer comprehensibility and enjoyment alone. And I like S2 for what it is.

Quote:

Who the **** knows. I'm ready for it though. Getting the last episode three days early sucks because of the nine day wait that resulted from it.

NewChief 02-10-2019 09:25 PM

Slow build to some serious payoff in last 15 minutes or so tonight.

O.city 02-10-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14100720)
Slow build to some serious payoff in last 15 minutes or so tonight.

Yeah we really got some bones tossed late

O.city 02-11-2019 10:51 AM

Ok so lets discuss this episode

Spoiler!

Dallas Chief 02-11-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14101063)
Ok so lets discuss this episode

Spoiler!

I really want to like it, but this season feels like a dud all over again, just a different flavor. 6.8 episodes of mumbling and pointless remembrances to get to this point.

O.city 02-11-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 14101073)
I really want to like it, but this season feels like a dud all over again, just a different flavor. 6.8 episodes of mumbling and pointless remembrances to get to this point.

I don't know man, I've liked it a lot so far.

Difference of opinion I suppose.

O.city 02-11-2019 11:39 AM

Spoiler!

NewChief 02-11-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14101129)
Spoiler!

I don't think we need to Spoiler anything, personally. We're all just speculating and episode has aired:

My take on him: he works for the Hoyt family after likely getting hurt in a chicken plant (first black dude with an eye says that tons of people have lost eyes working in the industry). He accidentally killed the brother during the abduction and was ordered to dispose of the body. He placed the boy in the cave in the praying position and made a trail to the body with the dolls as an act of contrition.

One of the bigger theories I'm enjoying is the speculation around the sexuality of Dorff's character. Quite a bit of smoke suggesting that he and Tom (who we now know "struggles" with homosexuality) might have had a sexual encounter.

O.city 02-11-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14101144)
I don't think we need to Spoiler anything, personally. We're all just speculating and episode has aired:

My take on him: he works for the Hoyt family after likely getting hurt in a chicken plant (first black dude with an eye says that tons of people have lost eyes working in the industry). He accidentally killed the brother during the abduction and was ordered to dispose of the body. He placed the boy in the cave in the praying position and made a trail to the body with the dolls as an act of contrition.

One of the bigger theories I'm enjoying is the speculation around the sexuality of Dorff's character. Quite a bit of smoke suggesting that he and Tom (who we now know "struggles" with homosexuality) might have had a sexual encounter.

I had thought that, but Roland went after the ladies at the church. Maybe he swings both ways? I'm wondering if Hayes finds out he had a thing with Tom and told his GF and that's why they split?

Discuss Thrower 02-11-2019 01:09 PM

I'll keep spoiler tagging since I'm of the mindset it's a truly a spoiler until an entire streamable series has concluded since some people won't start until it's completed which allows them to binge watch all it once.

Spoiler!

O.city 02-11-2019 03:19 PM

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 02-11-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14101832)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

O.city 02-11-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14101839)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 02-11-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14101869)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

O.city 02-11-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14101874)
Spoiler!

True. Just seemed weird. Wondering if he had been in there before or something? I doubt it.

Also

Spoiler!

O.city 02-11-2019 03:47 PM

I also kind of agree with Discuss in that there seems to be a lot of throwaway shit happening this season that doesn't really advance the arc of the story.

BWillie 02-11-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14101144)

I don't see any hint of there being anything sexual between Roland and Tom. I know they made a mention that he was never married, never had kids - but I don't see how that has anything to do with if a someone is a homosexual. I guess we'll see - you may be right - but I don't see it.

Discuss Thrower 02-11-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14102040)
I don't see any hint of there being anything sexual between Roland and Tom. I know they made a mention that he was never married, never had kids - but I don't see how that has anything to do with if a someone is a homosexual. I guess we'll see - you may be right - but I don't see it.

The question the show is seemingly asking us to ask is:

a) what happened to Lori between 1990 and 2015?

and

b) why is Roland pissed at something Wayne did that he didn't do or was forced to do?

NewChief 02-11-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14102040)

Stolen from elsewhere:

Roland looks insanely betrayed by Tom in the interrogation room when they think Tom might actually be the killer. That ****ing scowl is menacing as hell.

-While interrogating Tom at the beginning of the episode, Wayne asks Tom again about where he was the night of the incident. Tom panics and says something along the lines of “You know where I...” then trails off. He’s looking right at Roland when he says this.

-Roland desperately wants to “clear Tom” of any involvement.

-When Hays wants to follow up on Tom being gay, he mentions going to gay clubs and that Devil’s Den was a “homo cruisin’ spot”. West replies to this by telling Hays to “**** off”.

-2015 Roland is a bitter old man who lives alone. A far cry from how we see Roland (and his home) in 1980 and 1990.

- When Henry drives Wayne out to see him. Roland asks him if Wayne “remembers why I’m still pissed at him.” Wayne may possibly out in him in 1990 inadvertently.

- Roland bristles at Wayne’s repeated use of prison rape as a threat in interrogations. He makes sure to voice his displeasure to this each time.

BigRedChief 02-11-2019 10:44 PM

Mahershala Ali is the best actor alive today. No one is better.

BWillie 02-12-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14102579)

Ha.

vailpass 02-13-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

You so woke!

O.city 02-16-2019 12:04 PM

Ok well the next 2 episodes are gonna be pretty intense

O.city 02-18-2019 11:27 AM

Well, yeah, last nights was pretty intense.

I think I'm gonna burn my clothes in a barrel in the backyard something just to screw with my wife.

NewChief 02-18-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14112449)
Well, yeah, last nights was pretty intense.

I think I'm gonna burn my clothes in a barrel in the backyard something just to screw with my wife.

I know this season has been a slow burn for people but I’ve really enjoyed it. The writing and directing is so much more developed and mature than previous seasons. Certainly doesn’t have the fireworks of S1, but I think the artistry is higher. I also think that it’s going to reward rewatching and analysis more like a piece of good literature.

Discuss Thrower 02-18-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14112688)
I know this season has been a slow burn for people but I’ve really enjoyed it. The writing and directing is so much more developed and mature than previous seasons. Certainly doesn’t have the fireworks of S1, but I think the artistry is higher. I also think that it’s going to reward rewatching and analysis more like a piece of good literature.

Decouple the title "True Detective" and this is probably raved about truly on its own merits. IMHO.

Discuss Thrower 02-18-2019 02:31 PM

Spoiler!

O.city 02-18-2019 03:53 PM

Spoiler!

ChiTown 02-18-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14112957)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

sully1983 02-18-2019 07:11 PM

god damn this season has kicked so much ass. totally awesome slow burn and I can't wait for the season finale!

Baby Lee 02-18-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14112957)
Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 14113016)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 02-18-2019 07:27 PM

IDK how people picked up on who was voicing Hoyt and I don't recall the photo in the plant offices being obvious enough.

Discuss Thrower 02-18-2019 07:31 PM

I stand corrected:

TwistedChief 02-19-2019 05:03 AM

I've liked this season while at the same time feeling like it's been a bit muddled.

Still, this past week's episode was outstanding. And I read somewhere that Ali thought the finale was the best television he's ever seen.

Gonna be fun.

Simply Red 02-20-2019 06:10 PM

watched the first episode of Season 3- I noticed it had potential - but haven't rushed back to catch up.

Baby Lee 02-20-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14113337)
I stand corrected:

I think he was listed in the credits as well.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-21-2019 01:48 PM

I read this article last night that threw me for a loop. It states some things I didn't think were set in stone

https://uproxx.com/tv/true-detective...final-country/

NewChief 02-21-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 14118090)
I read this article last night that threw me for a loop. It states some things I didn't think were set in stone

https://uproxx.com/tv/true-detective...final-country/

Anything specific? I'll admit I've been pretty involved in some active discussion threads, so there's not much in there that hasn't been confirmed.

I really appreciate that Pizzolato has been active on social media straight up answering some questions and squashing some theories. He learned from S1 that letting the public run wild with theories and such will garner you some immediate buzz but will eventually turn sour when the reality of what occurs doesn't match the buildup they've created.

O.city 02-24-2019 06:52 PM

Welp, tonight’s the night

Discuss Thrower 02-24-2019 10:27 PM

Spoiler!

also

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 02-24-2019 10:43 PM

Rereading the reddit comments, I'm going to credit the **** out of two people here:

First, the random reddit keyboard jockey that pointed out that Elisa's role in the story was to be the audience stand-in and serve as a red herring.

Second, to Pizz for spelling it out for us early on in the show with Wayne saying something to the effect of 'Separate any sort of theories from the facts you have so you don't bend your thinking to fit those theories'.' Want to say it was the scene with him and Amelia canvassing the grassland during episode 1 or 2. Guess Pizz's social media accounts are already catching guff about how people were displeased with the finale namely because of what I was addressing in point 1.

I am impressed.

O.city 02-25-2019 09:32 AM

I enjoyed it.

It wasn't as flash bang as season 1 IMO with the reveal but it wasn't necessarily all about that.

TwistedChief 02-25-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14122900)
I enjoyed it.

It wasn't as flash bang as season 1 IMO with the reveal but it wasn't necessarily all about that.

This is where I am.

I would be very happy to find out there’s a season 4 on the way.

BigRedChief 02-26-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14103931)
Ha.

who's better?
Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14104863)
You so woke!

I dont get this statement. You think he has two Oscars, Golden Globes, SAG and Emmy's because of the color of his skin? Making up for Belafonte, Portier not getting an Oscar in the 60's?

BigRedChief 02-26-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14122900)
I enjoyed it.

This was great TV. It wasn't about over the top theatrics or possible conspiracy theories aka season 1. It stands on its own. A great recovery on its own merits from the shit season of #2.

Season 3 was a straight up whodunit/mystery with a life long timeline. The moving back and forth in the timeline was done so well that it became integral to the telling of the story instead of just revealing a backstory to move faster to the finish. Best acted/directed/edited TV I've seen this year.

It's usually fair game to talk openly about a show/movie after its aired but I'll still spoil this comment about the ending.

Spoiler!

BWillie 02-26-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14124491)
who's better?
I dont get this statement. You think he has two Oscars, Golden Globes, SAG and Emmy's because of the color of his skin? Making up for Belafonte, Portier not getting an Oscar in the 60's?

Why do you think it has anything to do by the color of his skin in the first place? I haven't seen Green Book but I didn't think Ali was just totally amazing in TD3. I need to see more things hes in first.

Michael B Jordan and Childish Gambino seem like better actors to me.

Discuss Thrower 02-26-2019 11:11 AM

I like MB Jordan a lot but he's not a better actor than Ali.

DeepPurple 02-26-2019 11:46 AM

I just saw the last episode of TD last night. I thought it was really anti-climatic, the old one-eye black man told the whole story. They should moved the Harris killing to the final show and had them all as seniors, and then they beat the shit out of Harris and kill him as he spills the beans on the whole deal. That little talk with rich guy Hoyt was overblown, turned out to be nothing and nobody got hurt, Hoyt didn't really know what was going on.

If I had to choose, last year's HBO miniseries "The Night Of" had me hooked all the way, it was way better. If I had to choose just miniseries in general, I'll take any of the three Fargo seasons over TD Season 3. It just felt empty at the end, sort of like the Seinfeld finally.

https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content...resize=900,600

I almost forget, Escape from Dannemora that just ended last month on Showtime, that was really excellent!!! Check it out if you haven't seen it.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...mod=1543616547

mikeyis4dcats. 02-26-2019 01:16 PM

LOL, I turned to my wife and literally siad "worst finale since Seinfeld".

RN47 02-26-2019 01:24 PM

Bore fest. Mumbling, incoherent,and not that enjoyable.

As far as living actors better than Ali? Are you kidding? Living? I'll start with currently working then move to include actors that are legendary that are still 'living' and maybe not working so much that are all superior to Maserhali Ali.

Tom Hardy
Denzel Washington
Michael Fassbinder
Christian Bale
Gary Oldman
Edward Norton
Joaquin Phoenix
Leonardo DiCaprio
Sam Rockwell
Bryan Cranston
Paul Giamatti
Benecio Del Toro
Matthew McConaughey
Mads Mikkelson
Benedict Cumberbatch
Hugh Jackman
Jake Gyllenhall
Adrien Brody
Ben Mendehlson
Daniel Day Lewis
Vincent Donofrio
Brad Pitt
Robert Downey Jr.
John Malkovich
Woody Harrelson
Jamie Foxx
Jeff Bridges
Josh Brolin
John Turtorro
Christopher Walken
Viggo Mortensen

Not working, but LIVING (per the original quantification)
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Morgan Freeman
Robert DeNiro
Tom Hanks
Clint Eastwood
Anthony Hopkins
Ben Kingsley
Willem Defoe
Harvey Keitel
Bill Nighy
Max Von Sidow

All of these actors are superior. All of them.

chiefzilla1501 02-26-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14124683)
I just saw the last episode of TD last night. I thought it was really anti-climatic, the old one-eye black man told the whole story. They should moved the Harris killing to the final show and had them all as seniors, and then they beat the shit out of Harris and kill him as he spills the beans on the whole deal. That little talk with rich guy Hoyt was overblown, turned out to be nothing and nobody got hurt, Hoyt didn't really know what was going on.

If I had to choose, last year's HBO miniseries "The Night Of" had me hooked all the way, it was way better. If I had to choose just miniseries in general, I'll take any of the three Fargo seasons over TD Season 3. It just felt empty at the end, sort of like the Seinfeld finally.

https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content...resize=900,600

I almost forget, Escape from Dannemora that just ended last month on Showtime, that was really excellent!!! Check it out if you haven't seen it.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...mod=1543616547

I thought the ending was satisfying. Not great, but satisfying. The execution was sloppy and too drawn out. But the idea was clever. It was totally unexpected even if that led to an outcome people didn't want. I think people have become too stuck on things ending the way they hope or else be radically surprised by some shocking twist. Then when an ending like TD3 or how I met your mother comes along, people feel gipped.

I mean, this ending while drawn out was really well filmed. Brought closure while still leaving everything up for interpretation. And actually brought a happy ending to a usually dark series. All while tossing in some punchy twists. It may sit bland now, but if the series continues for a few more seasons, i feel like the ending will age well.

TwistedChief 02-27-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14124583)
Why do you think it has anything to do by the color of his skin in the first place? I haven't seen Green Book but I didn't think Ali was just totally amazing in TD3. I need to see more things hes in first.

Michael B Jordan and Childish Gambino seem like better actors to me.

Jordan better than Ali? Wow. I don't even think it's particularly close given their body of work.

DeepPurple 02-27-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14125567)
I thought the ending was satisfying. Not great, but satisfying. The execution was sloppy and too drawn out. But the idea was clever. It was totally unexpected even if that led to an outcome people didn't want. I think people have become too stuck on things ending the way they hope or else be radically surprised by some shocking twist. Then when an ending like TD3 or how I met your mother comes along, people feel gipped.

I mean, this ending while drawn out was really well filmed. Brought closure while still leaving everything up for interpretation. And actually brought a happy ending to a usually dark series. All while tossing in some punchy twists. It may sit bland now, but if the series continues for a few more seasons, i feel like the ending will age well.

I agree, it was well filmed and the ending with the girl at the convent was a happy ending. I guess I'll let it go at that. Did you see Sharp Objects with Amy Adams on HBO a few months? That was very slow moving, it never picked up speed but I did enjoy it. I guess I just like AA in everything she does.

chiefzilla1501 02-28-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14126000)
I agree, it was well filmed and the ending with the girl at the convent was a happy ending. I guess I'll let it go at that. Did you see Sharp Objects with Amy Adams on HBO a few months? That was very slow moving, it never picked up speed but I did enjoy it. I guess I just like AA in everything she does.

No, but good suggestion. I stopped watching because I couldn't get through it. But good to know it gets better. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Cheater5 03-16-2019 09:42 PM

This series has gotten a little worse each iteration. Season Two, overall, was more coherent and more interesting. I finally wrapped this up tonight after pushing it off for a few weeks because I honestly lost interest. Absolutely no suspense whatsoever and I had a hard time caring about the outcome — I fell asleep twice watching the final two episodes.

I’m kinda pissed how underwhelming this was.

BigRedChief 03-17-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 14163735)
This series has gotten a little worse each iteration. Season Two, overall, was more coherent and more interesting.

ROFL trolling, correct? Season 2 was the worse one by far. So bad it almost got the whole idea canceled.

Cheater5 03-17-2019 05:13 PM

I remember being disappointed with Season Two, for sure. But I never fell asleep. I thought this season had promise and thought they were definitely back on track after episode 1, but it just was so slow moving that frankly my interest waned with each episode. I just didn’t care.

I think Ali’s acting job was very good and he moved between the different eras with ease, which was praiseworthy. But unfortunately the rest of the season tried so hard to be season one that it ultimately failed.

I’ll relent; the acting and characters this season were superior to season two— it was poorly executed.

Discuss Thrower 03-17-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 14164941)
I remember being disappointed with Season Two, for sure. But I never fell asleep. I thought this season had promise and thought they were definitely back on track after episode 1, but it just was so slow moving that frankly my interest waned with each episode. I just didn’t care.

I think Ali’s acting job was very good and he moved between the different eras with ease, which was praiseworthy. But unfortunately the rest of the season tried so hard to be season one that it ultimately failed.

I’ll relent; the acting and characters this season were superior to season two— it was poorly executed.

A reddit neckbeard has a theory about Season 2 that puts it in an entirely different light.

TL;DR three if not all four S2 protagonists have a storyline that corresponds to the stages of death as outlined in the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Miles 04-25-2019 12:50 AM

Have 2 episidoes left to watch and this is really ****ing good. Not first season greatness but close enough. Mahershala Ali is pretty excellent here.

AssEaterChief 04-25-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14227099)
Have 2 episidoes left to watch and this is really ****ing good. Not first season greatness but close enough. Mahershala Ali is pretty excellent here.

Totally agree....enjoy the last two episodes

Fishpicker 04-26-2019 04:30 PM

1. S3
2. S1
3. S2

thats just my preference. I thought S2 was very good but not quite in the same echelon as S3 and S1.

chiefzilla1501 05-03-2019 07:47 AM

People who don't like season 3 are the same people who won't watch Better Call Saul. There's an art to telling the story slowly and deliberately. Especially in today's world.

KC_Connection 01-29-2024 07:15 PM

This season feels like an episode of the X Files. Enjoying it so far.

Cheater5 01-29-2024 09:38 PM

I’m completely underwhelmed and disappointed (again).

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

No. Worse than that. In fact, I think it’s absolute dogshit and not just because all the male characters are either incompetent, weak, or wife-beating criminals. But to that point, the writers want us to believe militant lesbians *ahem* …er… women running a small Alaskan village is rather commonplace; much like a mostly female construction or coal mining crew, or maybe a female led wildland firefighting team (insert eye roll). Clearly, they purposely reversed all the roles of traditional male characters to female, and set the story in a remote Alaskan village, which would absolutely never be this way in reality.

The dialogue is awkward and the acting is wooden. Nobody talks like these characters do in real life, and for a series that started off ten years ago with intelligent writing and directing—it’s insulting.

I could write a short essay on how terribly bad the storyline in episode one is alone; the bodies are found by a ghost doing interpretive dance. No shit; a f***ing ghost doing interpretive dance. What-the-f**k ever…Cringey ‘symbolism’ with a magical polar bear, bad CGI caribou that leap to their death in slo-mo; oooooh, that’s creepy! I stopped after one episode. I just don’t care.

Each successive iteration of this show seems to get progressively worse, but this season it bottoms out.

BWillie 01-29-2024 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17375822)
This season feels like an episode of the X Files. Enjoying it so far.

Its some weird shit but like other True Detective seasons I imagine the actual case will end with a relatively normal outcome.

KC_Connection 01-29-2024 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17376040)
Its some weird shit but like other True Detective seasons I imagine the actual case will end with a relatively normal outcome.

Probably but they’re certainly going heavy into the supernatural right now. It’s like a mashup of X Files and the Thing so far. Love the feel of it.

ChiTown 01-30-2024 08:26 AM

I’ve hated this season so far. It’s a jumbled ****ing mess. I don’t know who is directing this, but they have the attention span of a gnat. It’s ****ing all over the place. Just awful viewing. Sadly, I think I’m giving up on it.

SAGA45 01-30-2024 09:18 AM

Navarro's face bothers me

BWillie 01-30-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 17376297)
Navarro's face bothers me

She's kinda sorta cute

ToxSocks 01-30-2024 10:25 AM

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes, though i understand the feminism complaints. This last episode though...snooze fest. Super heavy on the "strong woman" narrative and incredibly boring and uninteresting dialogue.

SAGA45 01-30-2024 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17376315)
She's kinda sorta cute

Hmm...one thing's for sure....she rode ol' buddy into the sunset and beyond.

ChiliConCarnage 01-30-2024 07:18 PM

I had a hard time keeping my attention on the 3rd episode too. Dislike the storyline with Danvers young assistant. I don't enjoy the back story/drama between Danvers and Navarro either but I bet that's key for some reason