ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Spider Man 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266112)

Aries Walker 05-03-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10600706)
I read a funny article on Cracked.com (god bless that site, LOVE 'em) that basically said you know a superhero franchise has jumped the shark when they try to pack too many villains into one movie.

It means they didn't have a strong enough story for one villain, so they just try to dazzle everyone with multiple bullshiters... I hated the last one anyway, Spiderman was never supposed to be "dark and gritty".

I could give you a half hour about this, but that's a thing that's happening to superheroes now. There's a misconception that in order to make them interesting, they have to be conflicted, emotional, almost anti-heroes; it's even being reflected in their darker costumes. Superman and Spider-Man are the most obvious offenders, but I can almost guarantee that's what we'll get with the new Fantastic Four as well, and I think it's a major reason why we haven't seen Wonder Woman have her own damn movie by now.

The big exception is Captain America, fortunately. It's no coincidence that of those mentioned, he's also the one whose movie adaptation is the most identifiable and relevant to our real-life world, and is therefore - in my humble opinion - the best character.

If I didn't have a paper on Zachary Taylor to write tonight, I would seriously be able to go on and on about this.

Valiant 05-03-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10600661)
Other movies that rated higher on Rotten Tomatoes: Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, Superman Returns.

One critic called Amazing Spider-Man 2 "the Batman and Robin of the Spidey series."

Ouch.

Critics are some of the worst people to rate niche movies. Personally I think some of them get paid for their ratings. Or maybe, Marvel trying to get the rights back.

ASM2, critic 54, audience 76
SM3, critic 63, audience 51
XM3, critic 57, audience 63
SR, critic 76, audience 62

B&R, critic 12, audience 17 seems everyone agreed. No where near what is going on above though.

So when an audience gives a 3/4 rating, it seems like it might be a fun movie to watch.

I am seeing it at 8, so I can confirm or deny personally then.

Just saying never trust movie critics on comic or horror movies, nor comedies.

Super troopers
critic 35, audience 90.

Easy 6 05-03-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10600724)
I'd disagree with any of those being better movies. Seriously, even with it's flaws, this is a better movie by far. I'm sure that there are some that don't or won't care for it, but it's still not the disaster those other 4 mentioned above are.

I've watched it twice, the second time only to make sure I wasn't wrong about it the first time.

It sucks balls IMO, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Aries Walker 05-03-2014 06:35 PM

Ah, but did it suck more balls than Spider-Man 3? Because that sucked some pretty serious balls.

Easy 6 05-03-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10600732)
I could give you a half hour about this, but that's a thing that's happening to superheroes now. There's a misconception that in order to make them interesting, they have to be conflicted, emotional, almost anti-heroes; it's even being reflected in their darker costumes. Superman and Spider-Man are the most obvious offenders, but I can almost guarantee that's what we'll get with the new Fantastic Four as well, and I think it's a major reason why we haven't seen Wonder Woman have her own damn movie by now.

The big exception is Captain America, fortunately. It's no coincidence that of those mentioned, he's also the one whose movie adaptation is the most identifiable and relevant to our real-life world, and is therefore - in my humble opinion - the best character.

If I didn't have a paper on Zachary Taylor to write tonight, I would seriously be able to go on and on about this.

Yep, straight arrow and very much un-conflicted Cap, rocks... but I will never be able to put him above Bales Batman.

Aries Walker 05-03-2014 06:46 PM

Batman was an anti-hero to begin with, though, as was Wolverine, Hellboy, and (since about 1980) Daredevil. I'm talking about the non-anti-hero-heroes who do their thing for mainly altruistic reasons and whose ideals are typically reflected in their bright costuming. Another example is Oliver Queen on Arrow.

Easy 6 05-03-2014 06:54 PM

True.

Deberg_1990 05-03-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10600746)
Ah, but did it suck more balls than Spider-Man 3? Because that sucked some pretty serious balls.

It's better than that. Ironically though, it resembles that movie some. The overstuffed plot, underdeveloped villains.

Anyong Bluth 05-03-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10600742)
I've watched it twice, the second time only to make sure I wasn't wrong about it the first time.

It sucks balls IMO, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10600746)

Like I said- its not that I'm raving about it, but it's better than the previous mentioned movies.

I'm not offended if other's opinion differs.

Anyong Bluth 05-03-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10600740)
Critics are some of the worst people to rate niche movies. Personally I think some of them get paid for their ratings. Or maybe, Marvel trying to get the rights back.

ASM2, critic 54, audience 76
SM3, critic 63, audience 51
XM3, critic 57, audience 63
SR, critic 76, audience 62

B&R, critic 12, audience 17 seems everyone agreed. No where near what is going on above though.

So when an audience gives a 3/4 rating, it seems like it might be a fun movie to watch.

I am seeing it at 8, so I can confirm or deny personally then.

Just saying never trust movie critics on comic or horror movies, nor comedies.

Super troopers
critic 35, audience 90.

You're partly right, because critics aren't above making salacious statements in the intended result being quoted in tv, radio, and print spots. Quick way to build a national name and move up the ladder to be the next nationally known critic. Pretty kush job to be the next S&E, Maltan, or Roeper.

Munson 05-03-2014 08:46 PM

Saw it earlier today. I thought it was "meh." It wasn't shitty, but at the same time it wasn't spectacular. The first one was better.

Who was the shadowy figure...

Spoiler!

Post-movie teaser...

Spoiler!

Anyong Bluth 05-03-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 10600930)
Saw it earlier today. I thought it was "meh." It wasn't shitty, but at the same time it wasn't spectacular. The first one was better.

Who was the shadowy figure...

Spoiler!

Post-movie teaser...

Spoiler!

It was a free promo because the 2 studios originally had the same opening dates. Xmen pushed back in exchange for Sony showing the free promo for all the Spidey screenings.

Deberg_1990 05-03-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10600940)
It was a free promo because the 2 studios originally had the same opening dates. Xmen pushed back in exchange for Sony showing the free promo for all the Spidey screenings.

Whatever the case, it was pretty unusual. Sony promoting for FOX? That's nearly unheard of.

It would be so sweet if Sony worked our a deal with Disney where Garfield could show up in a Marvel movie.

Valiant 05-03-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10600759)
Batman was an anti-hero to begin with, though, as was Wolverine, Hellboy, and (since about 1980) Daredevil. I'm talking about the non-anti-hero-heroes who do their thing for mainly altruistic reasons and whose ideals are typically reflected in their bright costuming. Another example is Oliver Queen on Arrow.

Arrow has been anti for more than a decade, he was anti hero in the jlu cartoon.

Wallcrawler 05-03-2014 09:51 PM

People going in expecting an action flick are probably going to be disappointed. This movie is more about Peter Parker than it is about Spider-Man.

I liked the story it told. I would've liked to have seen more action for a 2hr 20 minute film, but I liked what was there. Its just not that balls out, in your face, Michael Bay wet dream inspiring actionfest that a lot of people were hoping for.

Ill buy it when it comes out.