ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones *Spoiler* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257986)

Bowser 05-01-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8586868)
Stannis has grown on me.

It seems to me that Stannis in the show is a much more conflicated character than he was in the books. Written Stannis is a pure black/white kind of guy, and Show Stannis makes the same hard headed decisions, but he seeems to carry the weight of those decisions with him.

I may be wrong, but in any respect, I agree with you.

Huffmeister 05-02-2012 11:13 AM

I've been disappointed by the lack of The Mountain in the last couple of episodes. I thought for sure that he'd be front and center once they got to Harrenhal.

Frazod 05-02-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Stannis has grown on me.

I think Dillane is perfect for that part. His performance is reminiscent of his portrayal of Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries. Both were aloof, secretive and uncharismatic, and he really nails that.

vailpass 05-02-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Stannis has grown on me.

Me too. Said so to my wife while watching last Sunday.

KChiefer 05-02-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8582880)
BTW- In episode 5, Dotrice looked as old as he sounded while reading Dance with Dragons. Dude sounded seriously ill in parts of that audiobook. I read & listen to all the books (which helps me pick up all the detail as I go), and Dotrice's reading shaped many of the characters in mind. He's a huge part of SOIAF to me. I wish he could have had a larger role in the show.

Have any of you seen the unaired pilot with a few alternate cast members? I'm wondering if Dotrice played Maester Luwin in that one.

"Our order doesn't deal in pigshit!"

Easily my favorite line in Ep5.

vailpass 05-02-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8587910)
I've been disappointed by the lack of The Mountain in the last couple of episodes. I thought for sure that he'd be front and center once they got to Harrenhal.

His isn't exactly a speaking role is it? A Soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain role sure, but a speaking role?

Hawk 05-02-2012 05:49 PM

Well he did pick out the prisoners that were going to be tortured just like in the book. I liked the guy they had playing Gregor last season better, this one is tall enough, but is too skinny.

Jawshco 05-02-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8589387)
Well he did pick out the prisoners that were going to be tortured just like in the book. I liked the guy they had playing Gregor last season better, this one is tall enough, but is too skinny.

Exactly! Mountains are wide, not just tall. This guy is too toothpicky to be intimidating. Gregor's diet plan has gone wrong. Time to visit the Manderly dining hall for awhile I think...

Hawk 05-02-2012 09:46 PM

Catelyn has never been my favorite character, but I just read the part where she gets a raven saying Bran and Rickon were killed by Theon and their heads mounted on spikes at Winterfell. Heartbreaking chapter. Ned is dead, Bran and Rickon killed and mutilated in their home by a punk kid she practically raised, Robb at war and in constant danger, Sansa being held by her enemies, and Arya missing and feared dead, and her dad is dying before her eyes. I felt really sorry for her. Brutal. No wonder she turns into Lady Stoneheart.

Huffmeister 05-03-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8589340)
His isn't exactly a speaking role is it? A Soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain role sure, but a speaking role?

No, he's not exactly talkative in the book, but you do get a feel for what a vicious, sick, brutal person he is. Other than chopping off his horse's head, there really hasn't been any character development for Gregor in the show.

Swanman 05-03-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8591068)
No, he's not exactly talkative in the book, but you do get a feel for what a vicious, sick, brutal person he is. Other than chopping off his horse's head, there really hasn't been any character development for Gregor in the show.

His duel with the Red Viper is one of my favorite passages in all the books.

vailpass 05-03-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8590217)
Catelyn has never been my favorite character, but I just read the part where she gets a raven saying Bran and Rickon were killed by Theon and their heads mounted on spikes at Winterfell. Heartbreaking chapter. Ned is dead, Bran and Rickon killed and mutilated in their home by a punk kid she practically raised, Robb at war and in constant danger, Sansa being held by her enemies, and Arya missing and feared dead, and her dad is dying before her eyes. I felt really sorry for her. Brutal. No wonder she turns into Lady Stoneheart.

At least she has Robb.

DaFace 05-03-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8591850)
At least she has Robb.

Heh.

Setsuna 05-05-2012 08:38 PM

On book 4. After watching the ghost of Harrenhal episode, I realized that Jaqen was saying "this man..." referring to himself. And now realized the Faceless Men concept. At that time he was living the life of a man named Jaqen, since they are "no one" then they can't take ownership of a persona/life. Thought that was pretty cool.

KcMizzou 05-06-2012 08:02 PM

That episode is gonna piss some people off. Huge departure from the books.