ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

KcMizzou 05-04-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4733284)
Question regarding Golden Compass - is it worth picking up on blu ray? I haven't seen it yet, but keep hearing that it's great. I loved LOTR, and though Narnia was OK. Is this somewhere in between, or something different?

IMO, it wasn't anywhere close to LOTR... comparable to Narnia, though. It was just ok.

Frazod 05-04-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4733286)
IMO, it wasn't anywhere close to LOTR... comparable to Narnia, though. It was just ok.

In other words, I should rent it for $4 and not buy it for $30. Thanks. :thumb:

KcMizzou 05-04-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4733290)
In other words, I should rent it for $4 and not buy it for $30. Thanks. :thumb:

Exactly. :)

Frazod 05-04-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4733299)
Exactly. :)

I almost bought it earlier today. Glad I waited.

DaneMcCloud 05-04-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4711427)
Anyone seen Juno yet??

I thought it was pretty decent. At first i thought the chick was a little too hip and smart ass, but she did kind of grow on me by the end.

I wouldnt agree it was "oscar worthy" but it was still a very solid, well made flick.

When it was all said and done, I thought it was a ridiculous movie.

A girl that smart (and smart-ass) wouldn't have used protection?

A family that was unconcerned and not stressed by their teenaged daughter's pregnancy?

The typical deal with Bateman's character?

Sorry, I thought the whole movie played out like a phony afterschool special.

Just without the message.

irishjayhawk 05-04-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4733306)
I almost bought it earlier today. Glad I waited.

Yeah, I wouldn't have bought it. It's worth a rental, but not much more than that.

irishjayhawk 05-04-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4733339)
When it was all said and done, I thought it was a ridiculous movie.

A girl that smart (and smart-ass) wouldn't have used protection?

A family that was unconcerned and not stressed by their teenaged daughter's pregnancy?

The typical deal with Bateman's character?

Sorry, I thought the whole movie played out like a phony afterschool special.

Just without the message.

Are you aware it's a COMEDY? :)

Frazod 05-04-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4733617)
Yeah, I wouldn't have bought it. It's worth a rental, but not much more than that.

I bought Narnia sight unseen a couple of years ago. Again, not a bad flick, but definitely not a buyer. I really should stop doing that.

patteeu 05-04-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4733675)
I bought Narnia sight unseen a couple of years ago. Again, not a bad flick, but definitely not a buyer. I really should stop doing that.

I assume you know this, but just in case you don't, you can read about these movies, including the reaction of both critics and non-critics at sites like www.rottentomatoes.com and www.imdb.com . That way you can avoid some of the over-hyped duds.

Frazod 05-04-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 4733685)
I assume you know this, but just in case you don't, you can read about these movies, including the reaction of both critics and non-critics at sites like www.rottentomatoes.com and www.imdb.com . That way you can avoid some of the over-hyped duds.

Narnia got good reviews. I didn't hate it; it's just not something I'd probably ever watch again. The last movie I bought without watching first was No Country For Old Men. I can guarantee that I'll never watch that overrated turd again, and it won several Oscars.

Sure-Oz 05-04-2008 12:01 PM

No country for old men wasnt that bad, seems like people were pissed cause of how it ended

Fairplay 05-11-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4733706)
No country for old men wasnt that bad, seems like people were pissed cause of how it ended

I liked that movie. I will say i the end caught me a little off guard.

However after re-watching it. Its all good. No problem at all.

Think a little, (i do mean a little) outside the box. Stop thinking typical hollywood endings.

blaise 05-12-2008 11:15 AM

I thought No Country was a great movie, and I didn't have any problem with the ending at all.

Frazod 05-12-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4746076)
I liked that movie. I will say i the end caught me a little off guard.

However after re-watching it. Its all good. No problem at all.

Think a little, (i do mean a little) outside the box. Stop thinking typical hollywood endings.

I really don't need a typical Hollywood ending. Here are some of my favorite movies:

Casablanca - other guy gets the girl. Our hero gets the Frenchman and a chance to get run down in the desert by Panzer tanks.

Glory - EVERYBODY DIES.

Godfather - the hero turns into a complete ruthless one who sucks the penis.

L.A. Confidential - One hero dies, one gets shot in the face and loses his job, the other one gets a promotion but loses the girl.

The Crow - The hero is DEAD WHEN IT STARTS.

I'm not necessarily looking for Gary and Grace riding off into the sunset. But No Country's ending was unsatisfying, pointless and annoying. I thought it sucked when I first saw it, and I still think it sucks.

Adept Havelock 05-12-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4747597)
I really don't need a typical Hollywood ending. Here are some of my favorite movies:

Casablanca - other guy gets the girl. Our hero gets the Frenchman and a chance to get run down in the desert by Panzer tanks.

Glory - EVERYBODY DIES.

Godfather - the hero turns into a complete ruthless one who sucks the penis.

L.A. Confidential - One hero dies, one gets shot in the face and loses his job, the other one gets a promotion but loses the girl.

The Crow - The hero is DEAD WHEN IT STARTS.

I'm not necessarily looking for Gary and Grace riding off into the sunset. But No Country's ending was unsatisfying, pointless and annoying. I thought it sucked when I first saw it, and I still think it sucks.

Agree on all those. How about "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."?