ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9828453)
Thats why they might as well not even fire Pinkel, I mean seriously who are they going to get, no decent coach will go to Mizzou?

Bobby Petrino. He's a winner which is all that matters in the SEC and I am sure he would jump from Western Kentucky.

Sully 07-23-2013 09:17 AM

I know I'm dreaming, and that there are penalties, but...
How much fun would it be for Pinkel to somehow make it through another year, and we hire Kelly after he flames out in Philly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828847)
Bobby Petrino. He's a winner which is all that matters in the SEC and I am sure he would jump from Western Kentucky.

Never going to happen. Really no point in discussing it.

Also, his recruiting at Arkansas was no better than Pinkel's has been at Mizzou. Not sure you really get the upgrade there that you're looking for.

kepp 07-23-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9828855)
I know I'm dreaming, and that there are penalties, but...
How much fun would it be for Pinkel to somehow make it through another year, and we hire Kelly after he flames out in Philly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I might consider enduring another year of Pinkel for that.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828862)
Never going to happen. Really no point in discussing it.

Also, his recruiting at Arkansas was no better than Pinkel's has been at Mizzou. Not sure you really get the upgrade there that you're looking for.

5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2. That 8-5 year should have been 9-4 and a win against #1 Florida but the refs f'd them at the end of the game. They had a close loss to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and wrecked K-State in the Cotton Bowl. Also Ryan Mallett seemed to work out for him.

Missouri would kill for that improvement. I agree it probably will never happen, but they need to decide whether they are committed to winning or just getting paid for taking a beating.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828878)
5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2. That 8-5 year should have been 9-4 and a win against #1 Florida but the refs f'd them at the end of the game. They had a close loss to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and wrecked K-State in the Cotton Bowl. Also Ryan Mallett seemed to work out for him.

Missouri would kill for that improvement. I agree it probably will never happen, but they need to decide whether they are committed to winning or just getting paid for taking a beating.

There's no probably about it. Bobby Petrino will never be hired at Mizzou unless they're willing to see the two biggest donors to the university stop donating (period).

Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind, but he was a mediocre recruiter BEFORE his rep went nuclear. Can't see any way he wouldn't be worse now. Auburn - which has been obsessed with hiring him for a DECADE - passed on him this offseason. That should tell you how bad things are for Petrino.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828906)
There's no probably about it. Bobby Petrino will never be hired at Mizzou unless they're willing to see the two biggest donors to the university stop donating (period).

Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind, but he was a mediocre recruiter BEFORE his rep went nuclear. Can't see any way he wouldn't be worse now. Auburn - which has been obsessed with hiring him for a DECADE - passed on him this offseason. That should tell you how bad things are for Petrino.

As usual, Missouri is committed to average.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828908)

When the doners won't pay up, you don't have that option.

Alienating the Lauries so you can hire a guy that is unquestionably an asshole and will leave the program the moment he gets traction is a really really bad idea. And that's presuming he'd come cheap enough that you can get him hired without Laurie/Walton money anyway.

What do you do in 4 years when he's left for USC and the Lauries have sworn off giving MU any more money for athletics? Where are you going to come up with the 3-5 million it takes to secure/retain a good coach?

In a vacuum, I think Petrino's an interesting idea. But we aren't in a vacuum. The consequence of hiring Petrino would be so dire that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to bring him in.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828908)

The donors that would walk away have donated a combined $100 million in the past decade or so.

Also, you're doing it for a guy who is going to LESS effective than he was at his last job, where he didn't win anything more significant than the Cotton Bowl.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828931)
The donors that would walk away have donated a combined $100 million in the past decade or so.

Also, you're doing it for a guy who is going to LESS effective than he was at his last job, where he didn't win anything more significant than the Cotton Bowl.

I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average. If that's what we're stuck with then it's sad as usual.

Missouri isn't close to being able to compete for the Cotton bowl, so let's set some attainable goals first before we act like it's beneath us.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 10:35 AM

I fully expect Gary Pinkel to live in the 5-7 to 7-5 bubble for 4 or 5 years until he wants to walk away. Any new coach is wishful thinking.

Pepe Silvia 07-23-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9828832)
I think you might be surprised.

SEC job (carries weight - look at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Miss. State, Vanderbilt)
Willingness to pay $2.5 million+
Willingness to spend equal amount on assistants
Large land-grant school with no in-state rivals
Decent in-state talent, not great
Ability to make recruiting inroads in Texas, Florida, and pitch elite talent in Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana on playing in the SEC and still being close to home

It's not a better job than Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee, but it is a better job now than it was in the Big 12.

But its ****ing Mizzou, we will **** it up, book it. lol

Mosbonian 07-23-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9828399)
I can't envision MU losing to Indiana on the road.

And neither can I...having seen how bad they have been over the last few years, they even make MU look good.

Reaper16 07-23-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828983)
I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average.

1.) No, clearly you don't "get" what it means for the Lauries to go away.

2.) Petrino isn't the only coach out there that can win games at Missouri.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9828983)
I get that the donors will go away, but turning away from someone that will help you win vs. someone that gives you warm and fuzzies is dumb and like I said committed to average. If that's what we're stuck with then it's sad as usual.

Missouri isn't close to being able to compete for the Cotton bowl, so let's set some attainable goals first before we act like it's beneath us.

Here's where I think the biggest gap in our thoughts on this is:

You think Bobby Petrino would be just as successful at Missouri as he was at Arkansas. I believe he would NOT be as successful because of the huge hits his reputation has taken. For a guy who already was not a recruiting dynamo, that will just be crippling.

I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky right now.

I don't care about warm and fuzzies. Not hiring Bobby Petrino doesn't mean I want to hire a numb nuts like Paul Rhoads who "does it right" and is a "Leader of men" and mediocre football coach (Sorry, RustShack). It just means that Petrino is not - and should - happen.