ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 17399557)
I have no idea what you do for a living but I would venture to guess your "small sample size" is no different than the number of examples of the guys who've blown their brains out due to CTE or those who are now selling cars at the local Toyota dealership trading on their old fame/name.

The fact you are assuming how much money ANYONE needs is idiotic and no amount of puffing out your chest or claiming "you know guys" changes that.

Your argument essentially boils down to you thinking that you know better what someone else needs than they do themselves. I know a couple countries you could move to that share that philosophy.

Ok name the guys. I'll wait. Junior Seau shot himself in the chest. Outside of him name the guys that killed themselves, compared to how many guys that have played in the league and what that percentage is. Especially just compared to the general population.

Seoncd, you don't know my sample size. Last year I spent a whole weekend working with over 60 players out in Texas. You don't know shit about me dickhead. You're some blowhard that literally knows nothing about this.

Furthermore, you missed my point. I don't care what the players get. If they want to chase the money that's fine. But the idiotic comments about how they have to get tens of millions now to setup generational wealth or somehow their grandchildren will live in poverty is some shit that poster children for mental poverty would say.

And anyone saying 5 million isn't enough to finish your life on doesn't know shit about money. Period. And I clear 2 million a year.

The Franchise 02-13-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399861)
So, how could this look?

1. Restructure Patrick Mahomes ($36M) +$28.8M
2. Extend Justin Reid (4 years, $49.4M) +$6M
3. Cut Marquez Valdes-Scantling + $12M
4. ERFA Tender Herring, Caliendo, Cochrane, Nazi Johnson -$3.87M
5. Extend Drue Tranquill (2 years, $10.2M) -$4.6M
6. Extend Charles Omenihu (3 years, $29.9M) +$3M

Using the OTC calculator, that puts the Chiefs at $52.375M of cap space with 49 players under contract.

So, let’s experiment with a Jones AND Sneed re-up.

1. Extend Chris Jones (5 years, $150M, with $40M signing bonus, cap hits of 18.1, 26.1, 28.1 in first 3 years to get him to 3/88 and add some incentives to get to 3/90 )
2. Extend L’Jarious Sneed (4 years, $80.9M with $24M signing bonus, cap hits of 13.125, 19.2, 22.2, 25.3)

With that done, the Chiefs are sitting with 50 players under contract for 2024 with about $36.5M in cap space. The 2025 outlook is tough, though – 27 players under contract with only about $20M of effective cap space.

You’d be able to create a lot of space in 25 with a Mahomes restructure, but this plan probably leaves you committing to – at most – 1 of Bolton, Humphrey, and Trey Smith. Or cutting Joe Thuney and eating $10M of dead cap to gain $16M in space.

In that scenario, you:

Cut Thuney. June 1st if you need too.
Let Smith walk.
Bring back Bolton and Humphrey unless they want to break the bank.

You also have to assume that Kelce is going to retire at some point. That could be after 2024 which would take his cap hit off the books.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:10 PM

Joe Thuney is a really expensive guard you should be able to move off that by then.

ROYC75 02-13-2024 12:15 PM

Bottom line, we are going to lose a lot of quality back ups and or core players.

duncan_idaho 02-13-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399871)
This is exactly the sort of thing I'd have been adamantly opposed to had we NOT won this year and completely in support of because we have.

It's a chance at a 3-peat, fellas. Oh it makes 2025 a real shit-show. At worst it will make 2026 a problem. But this is a chance that, what, a half dozen teams in NFL history have had?

It is against every fiber of my being but I really think it's how we should approach it.

I think it comes down to...

Is Chiefs ownership prepared to hand out $40M in a signing bonus to Patrick Mahomes this year? And then do it again in 25? And again in 26? And again in 27? And in 2028, spend big cash on his "last" contract?

I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do that.

Sassy Squatch 02-13-2024 12:18 PM

Veach needs to nail the LT position long term this offseason given the uncertainty at all 3 IOL positions we'll be facing soon.

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399887)

Is Chiefs ownership prepared to hand out $40M in a signing bonus to Patrick Mahomes this year? And then do it again in 25? And again in 26? And again in 27? And in 2028, spend big cash on his "last" contract?

Well Clark has been way more into spending money than Lamar was.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17399887)

I was just talking to my wife during Clark's speech after the game regarding how PM has elevated KC on a national, if not global, landscape.

It's no stretch to argue that Patrick Mahomes is a BILLION dollar windfall for the Hunt family (and KC writ large).

I don't think they Hunts are hurting for cash or prospective creditors. The money is there and Hunt's typically been willing to spend it. I don't imagine this would be much different.

IrishChief 02-13-2024 12:35 PM

Surely some players will take a little less money to threepeat

Mecca 02-13-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399900)
I was just talking to my wife during Clark's speech after the game regarding how PM has elevated KC on a national, if not global, landscape.

It's no stretch to argue that Patrick Mahomes is a BILLION dollar windfall for the Hunt family (and KC writ large).

I don't think they Hunts are hurting for cash or prospective creditors. The money is there and Hunt's typically been willing to spend it. I don't imagine this would be much different.

I mean yea something else to think about is all the extra playoff revenue, Mahomes, Kelce even the Swift hype, the Chiefs are likely so much more profitable than ever before.

KCUnited 02-13-2024 12:45 PM

How much, of say, a 1B stadium renovation will they be looking at as well

RunKC 02-13-2024 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17399871)
This is exactly the sort of thing I'd have been adamantly opposed to had we NOT won this year and completely in support of because we have.

It's a chance at a 3-peat, fellas. Oh it makes 2025 a real shit-show. At worst it will make 2026 a problem. But this is a chance that, what, a half dozen teams in NFL history have had?

It is against every fiber of my being but I really think it's how we should approach it.

This is true but at worst we've drafted a blue chip caliber caliber player and strong contributing player each draft the last 4 years.

Sneed, Gay
Bolton, Creed
McDuffie (or Karlaftis) and whichever of the many strong contributors you fancy
Rice, Conner

If Veach keeps hitting like this the cap won't be a major problem

blake5676 02-13-2024 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399873)
Ok name the guys. I'll wait. Junior Seau shot himself in the chest. Outside of him name the guys that killed themselves, compared to how many guys that have played in the league and what that percentage is. Especially just compared to the general population.

Shooting themselves in the head was hyperbole. If you believe players don't suffer from CTE, advanced/earlier arthritis, mental health issues due to the nature of their jobs than I don't know what to tell you :shrug: But there's a boatload of evidence out there if you want to google. All or most of which could have a detrimental affect on both future earnings potential or cost of living.

Quote:

Seoncd, you don't know my sample size. Last year I spent a whole weekend working with over 60 players out in Texas. You don't know shit about me dickhead. You're some blowhard that literally knows nothing about this.
I stated, quite clearly, I DON'T KNOW YOUR SAMPLE SIZE. You've apparently talked to 60 former players...congrats! That probably 0.01% of retired players in the Super Bowl era. Don't think that hits like you thought it did.

Quote:

Furthermore, you missed my point. I don't care what the players get. If they want to chase the money that's fine. But the idiotic comments about how they have to get tens of millions now to setup generational wealth or somehow their grandchildren will live in poverty is some shit that poster children for mental poverty would say.
If your point is that it's possible to live on $5M for the rest of your life, then ok I guess. A lot of people could make that work. Does that mean these guys shouldn't try to maximize their earnings? Help their extended family and set up their kids? Live with luxuries and not want to worry about ever working again? They're the absolute best in the world at a job that maybe 1 in a million is talented enough to have. And here you are bitching that they shouldn't reap the benefit or try to leverage their talent and hard work into as much of a reward as they possibly can in the small timeframe that window is open. All while crossing their fingers they don't get an injury that knocks them out of the league 5 years earlier than they were hoping.

Quote:

And anyone saying 5 million isn't enough to finish your life on doesn't know shit about money. Period. And I clear 2 million a year.
Again...no idea what you do. Don't give a shit. Hopefully its not in finance. High five for making so much money though. That's really cool and helped your argument.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-13-2024 01:32 PM

Think about this...

If we bring back Jones, Sneed, then get one legit WR in FA, that's enough to run it back, 3peat. That's not even counting the draft in April. Amazing! LMAO

notorious 02-13-2024 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17399873)

https://y.yarn.co/9d373627-3cfd-400d...cd899_text.gif