ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones *Spoiler* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257986)

Amnorix 06-02-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10665927)
Eh, I'd say "alive enough to smash Oberyn's head like a grape" is sufficiently alive to be declared the winner. We'll see if they dig into it more than that, but I doubt it.

Right, yeah, hard to argue. Duh! :banghead:

BigRichard 06-02-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10665930)
That's the theory. The books haven't said for sure, though. Only that he's monstrous, is mute (IIRC), and never shows his face.

I guess I don't even recall this part. The only thing I recall is that Cersei is looking for a champion and Qybern is supposed to be getting her one. I am rereading all the books now so I will have to look for it.

Hammock Parties 06-02-2014 03:15 PM

btw, i'd love to know how much pressure you actually have to apply to a human skull to make it burst like that.

The human skull can withstand enormous stress.

DaFace 06-02-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10665948)
btw, i'd love to know how much pressure you actually have to apply to a human skull to make it burst like that.

Honestly, I didn't care for that aspect of the scene. I would've been fine with a skull crushing gauntleted punch to the face. Popping his head like that just seemed like it was gore for gore's sake and wasn't realistic (granted, it's a fantasy show, but still).

Easy 6 06-02-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10665948)

Its a pretty insane amount of stress, only certain angles can do it in, its like an egg...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vBMqc8-xPrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gravedigger 06-02-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10665962)
Honestly, I didn't care for that aspect of the scene. I would've been fine with a skull crushing gauntleted punch to the face. Popping his head like that just seemed like it was gore for gore's sake and wasn't realistic (granted, it's a fantasy show, but still).

That's what I was saying, I would've been happy with a huge punch that caved in his face over seeing the excess gore that this show has come to know so well.

keg in kc 06-02-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 10665942)
I guess I don't even recall this part. The only thing I recall is that Cersei is looking for a champion and Qybern is supposed to be getting her one. I am rereading all the books now so I will have to look for it.

I think all of it happens in Feast and Dance.

DaFace 06-02-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 10664940)
Thoughts on Sansa revealing herself to the other houses of the Vale? It's been awhile since I read Feast but I am sure they still do not know.

I just dug back through some plot summaries, and Sansa's plotline is WAY further along than it is at the end of Book 3. My suspicion is that her storyline is going to help to provide some action in the coming seasons with scenes that weren't necessarily in the books.

Hawk 06-02-2014 03:57 PM

The show is aleady into Books 4 and 5 for Theon, Brienne and Sansa and Bran. They won't get more than one more season out of books 4 and 5, so GRRM better hurry with Book 6.

As for the Mountain, the books make it clear that Qyburn has him the black cells, he screams in agony for weeks and gets moved to the lowest black cells where nobody will hear him, and his head is sent to Dorne to appease them. But Qyburn keeps taking women that Cersei gives him to "use up" somehow and appears to use them to create headless zombie Gregor as Cersei's new champion (Ser Robert Strong). Ser Robert/zombie Gregor makes an appearance in Book 5 when he carries Cersei in after her naked walk through the city.

If you want to see all the evidence that headless Gregor is now Ser Strong, this essay at the Tower of the Hand site spells it out and includes the relevant book passages (it also covers how the Hound is probably still alive):

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2010/...he_/index.html

Hammock Parties 06-02-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

It was ****ing awesome. I've only seen two skulls crushed in recent memory (Into Darkness) and both were such great shock value.

Baby Lee 06-02-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10665639)
Oberyn's death in the book pissed me off. Nobody else's death made me mad like his.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 10665675)
Not even Ned? Wow, I still seethe over that one!:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10665817)
No....Ned walked right into that shit.

The Oberyn death pissed me off because he's a bad ass, he had the Mountain down and done.....and then got completely ****ed. Plus then they let the Mountain live, although in agony, for a couple more days after the fight.

Ned is still the centerpiece. This discussion is the lynchpin of the entire series, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv6JSQcww-E

While Oberyn is devastating, it depends on a reasonable foible of character AND an unreasonable foible of plot.

First, he was so consumed with the reason for his anger he forgot that the ONLY purpose of this exercise was survival and triumph.

Second, and the part that disappoints me, is that the plot demands this man so fleet of foot and elusive, more so than in all the land, shuffle around like a Teamster on break the dangerously close perimeter of the wounded but living Mountain. No way the guy we saw 5 seconds prior would be so careless and inattentive.

ToxSocks 06-02-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10666049)
It was ****ing awesome. I've only seen two skulls crushed in recent memory (Into Darkness) and both were such great shock value.

Have you seen Irreversible?

Best skull crushing scene ever. That movie is hard to watch though. The rape scene is infamous.

Baby Lee 06-02-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10665916)
Jorah has been banished by Khaleesi for being a spy... WTF?

You haven't been anticipating this since the earliest episodes?

The only part that surprised me a little was that she didn't add something along the lines of 'I took you in, a known slaver, on my quest to free those enslaved.'

He was explicitly a spy, and a slaver. This is a sad development, but one long in coming.

KcMizzou 06-02-2014 04:27 PM

http://js.hungertv.com/wp-content/up...py-639x581.jpg

Baby Lee 06-02-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Dude cut a horse nearly in half with one swing.