ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Lamar Jackson wasn't, isn't, and never will be better than Patrick Mahomes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=328152)

St. Patty's Fire 01-25-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14750851)
Give me Mahomes over Lamar all day without question, but Ravens will be a top 5 offense again next year. Lamar is not a GREAT thrower, but in that offense he's good enough to cause a lot of problems. He threw for 345 against the Titans. It's silly to look at that one game and think that he's been figured out. That offense is really, really tough to stop.

If you watched that divisional round game and came away thinking positively of Lamar as a passer...I don’t know how. Ya, he had a shit ton of yards on FIFTY NINE pass attempts. All those yards and all they could muster is 12 points.

RINGLEADER 01-25-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire (Post 14750873)
If you watched that divisional round game and came away thinking positively of Lamar as a passer...I don’t know how. Ya, he had a shit ton of yards on FIFTY NINE pass attempts. All those yards and all they could muster is 12 points.

He’s not clutch. When he has to make a play he comes up short. He’s an average QB that wows people with his running. Everyone knows that.

wachashi 01-25-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire (Post 14750873)

I'm not going to ignore how he played and how that offense performed during the entirety of the 2019 regular season and think the Titans have somehow cracked the Lamar code. Ravens will be a top 5 offense again next year.

St. Patty's Fire 01-25-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 14750889)
He’s not clutch. When he has to make a play he comes up short. He’s an average QB that wows people with his running. Everyone knows that.

That second interception he threw was alarmingly bad. Not because of his accuracy or throwing ability, but the decision making.

That’s a throw you just can’t make at the NFL level. When Vaccaro shows that he’s staying in the flat, that throw is dead, you cannot attempt it. It will be an interception 9/10 times.

Chiefshrink 01-25-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14750641)
It's always been a laughable comparison. Lamar Jackson is not that good of a QB. Good runner? Absolutely. Not a good passer. He's fortunate he has an offensive coordinator willing to play to his strengths and the team does well for it. He's not anywhere within orbit of Mahomes as a passer.

BINGO !!

Lamar is like that "starting talented pitcher" that no one has seen that in the beginning "mows everyone down" 'for a little while'. But once everyone has seen him for a time, then the hitters begin to make him have to "pitch" and IF that pitcher has not learned how to "truly pitch" they begin to hit him and hit him hard.;)

The difference between Mahomes and Lamar(and there are many;)) besides arm talent and scrambling(to look downfield first which Jackson does not he just takes off) is that Jackson needs all the support around him in order to do what he does. Mahomes does not. IF Lamar does not have a stud offensive line, does not have stud TEs, nor has Ingraham at RB, nor has Hollywood at WR, Jackson becomes severely 'neutered' IMHO.

Whereas Mahomes does not. Mahomes can take mediocre talent around him and make them better raising their level of play not only because Pat is physically talented but even more so because Pat is actually learning the game to maximize the players around him. Mahomes is a serious student of the game and Jackson is still learning and how far he goes with it who knows? BUT if they continue with that offense it will seriously stunt his growth in learning the game because right now his defensive/coverage reads and being able to manipulate defenses are just elementary at this point because of his talented legs and the talent around him.

My point being Jackson doesn't have to be a HUGE student of the game at this point BUT this will eventually catch up to him and prevent him from winning the bigger games IMHO because DCs will figure him out over time IF he continues not to be a true student of the game. Especially when the arm talent is not there and when the talent level around you ebbs and flows over time and it will as it does for every QB and it is the truly great QBs that can take this in stride because they have become a true student of the game.

UK_Chief 01-25-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14750328)
It's funny that he scored lower on passing accuracy than the OTHER non-quarterbacks who were playing.

FYP

rabblerouser 01-25-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14727753)
Lamar throws pretty okay for a running back.

Nevermind. He doesn't even throw okay for a WR.

RealSNR 01-25-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14750851)
Give me Mahomes over Lamar all day without question, but Ravens will be a top 5 offense again next year. Lamar is not a GREAT thrower, but in that offense he's good enough to cause a lot of problems. He threw for 345 against the Titans. It's silly to look at that one game and think that he's been figured out. That offense is really, really tough to stop.

Bob Sutton had no problem stopping Lamar.

Neither did Spags.

wachashi 01-25-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14751077)
Bob Sutton had no problem stopping Lamar.

Neither did Spags.

Lamar doesn’t suck and the Ravens’ scheme hasn’t been figured out. That’s what I’m saying. Vegas agrees. Ravens have the same 2021 Super Bowl odds as the Chiefs. But, Mahomes is the superior QB no question.

Sassy Squatch 01-25-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14751104)
Lamar doesn’t suck and the Ravens’ scheme hasn’t been figured out. That’s what I’m saying. Vegas agrees. Ravens have the same 2021 Super Bowl odds as the Chiefs. But, Mahomes is the superior QB no question.

Titans put out a blueprint to stifle Lamar Jackson. He's going to have to develop much better accuracy of he wants to repeat this season.

mr. tegu 01-25-2020 01:24 PM

Lamar Jackson wasn't, isn't, and never will be better than Patrick Mahomes

I think that the funniest thing about Jackson is that people just assume he is going to get better and that their offense is set up to be good with him for years to come. You see it in this thread and all in the media that he is some sort of guarantee to improve and keep leading a top offense. I think he is much more likely to have a Mayfield like regression next season than to do anything resembling what he did this season.

wachashi 01-25-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14751106)
Titans put out a blueprint to stifle Lamar Jackson. He's going to have to develop much better accuracy of he wants to repeat this season.

I’ve said the Ravens will have a top 5 offense next year. You disagree with that?

Sassy Squatch 01-25-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14751120)
I’ve said the Ravens will have a top 5 offense next year. You disagree with that?

Yes. We've seen these types of offenses have extremely short shelf lives in the past. Lamar has a long, long way to go to develop as an NFL QB.

FringeNC 01-25-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14751120)

That the Ravens had a top 5 offense is a testament to Greg Roman. He completely optimized that offense to minimize the weaknesses of Lamar Jackson. I don't think he'll be able to do it again with teams having an entire off-season to mull it over, but we will see. That was just a horrific performance by Lamar Jackson in that contest. Can we all agree on that?

wachashi 01-25-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14751133)
That the Ravens had a top 5 offense is a testament to Greg Roman. He completely optimized that offense to minimize the weaknesses of Lamar Jackson. I don't think he'll be able to do it again with teams having an entire off-season to mull it over, but we will see. That was just a horrific performance by Lamar Jackson in that contest. Can we all agree on that?

Jackson didn’t play well in that game, but the entire Ravens squad looked sloppy. It wasn’t all on him. It’s reasonable to think teams will be better prepared for the Ravens’ offense next year, but to think they’re going to go from the number one offense in 2019, to just an average group next season, especially considering they aren’t losing anyone on offense, is dumb.