ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

DaFace 01-13-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8291848)
It sucks that they didn't go with a standard mini/micro usb charge plug. It's nice being able to charge my phone and kindle with the same charger. Maybe the table uses too much power for that.

Yeah, I agree. The ASUS adapter is 2.5A, which is pretty beefy as power adapters go, so I'd imagine you're correct on the reasoning.

(Still sucks that it's a finicky product, though.)

DaFace 01-22-2012 10:55 AM

Woot's starting to do a lot of these refurb sales. The Acer Iconia A500's there today (refurbished) for $300.

http://www.woot.com/

Micjones 01-23-2012 05:49 PM

I got a Velocity Micro Cruz for Christmas.

I'm happy with it. Great features for the price.
The only downside to it is the camera it lacks.

kcxiv 01-23-2012 06:00 PM

Im still ****ing stuck on what to get kindle or nook tablet ughh. Leaning towards the kindle though. I hear its easier to mod and im a noob in that area.

Scorp 01-23-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8321999)
Im still ****ing stuck on what to get kindle or nook tablet ughh. Leaning towards the kindle though. I hear its easier to mod and im a noob in that area.

Well the Kindle Fire is very rugged. My daughter left her Fire in the freezer for 24 hours and it turned on and still works like a charm, If that helps your decision any. She left it in the freezer for 24 hours!!!!!:(

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 8322046)
Well the Kindle Fire is very rugged. My daughter left her Fire in the freezer for 24 hours and it turned on and still works like a charm, If that helps your decision any. She left it in the freezer for 24 hours!!!!!:(

Umm...how does such an event occur? Did she mistake it for a Tony's pizza?

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:20 PM

As for the Fire, my wife loves hers as an eReader, web browser, and basic app player. It is, however, pretty locked down as Android tablets go. Out of the box at least, you have to get everything from Amazon's app store, and they don't have most of the Google apps that I use all the time.

Never personally used a Nook, so I can't speak much to that.

pr_capone 01-23-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322114)
As for the Fire, my wife loves hers as an eReader, web browser, and basic app player. It is, however, pretty locked down as Android tablets go. Out of the box at least, you have to get everything from Amazon's app store, and they don't have most of the Google apps that I use all the time.

How good is it as an eReader? I miss the E Ink display on my old Sony reader... I'm using my 10.1 Android Tablet with an LCD screen to read and it isn't horrible but nowhere near as nice to read off of as the Sony was.

DaFace 01-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 8322133)
How good is it as an eReader? I miss the E Ink display on my old Sony reader... I'm using my 10.1 Android Tablet with an LCD screen to read and it isn't horrible but nowhere near as nice to read off of as the Sony was.

About as you'd expect: not as good as eInk, but it works OK. I wouldn't think it'd be any better than your Android tablet.

The main complaint she has is that there's quite a bit of glare on the screen. I haven't used them, but I've seen a number of companies offering anti-glare screen protectors, so that might help. She hasn't been annoyed enough to look into it much, though.

aturnis 01-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 8322046)

Actually, cold does not affect electronics. Except for batteries of course, and some screens(only while cold though).

Lost of companies who sell electronics where specs are very important to the enduser(amps for audiophiles), they will test their equipment in sub zero freezers, b/c they can get better numbers out of it before if burns out. Heat, is the real enemy of electronics.

kcxiv 01-23-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322114)

i think i am leaning towards the fire. Im ok not having alot of apps. My ipod touch, has everything i need for podcasts and audio. I just want something to surf the net at night since my laptop took a shit. I try with my ipod, but its just too damned small. Ill just keep it as my audio device.

Luckily i still have a few more weeks left to make up my mind. I just want to see some impressions of the Nook, they are hard to find as not many have one.

Scorp 01-23-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322109)
Umm...how does such an event occur? Did she mistake it for a Tony's pizza?

I really don't know. I just know I found it ice cold, and thought WTF? She said I have been looking all over for my Kindle Fire. :spock:

pr_capone 01-23-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8322150)
I wouldn't think it'd be any better than your Android tablet.

That is the only thing keeping me from buying a Fire.

DaFace 01-29-2012 07:40 PM

Quick update on the Prime. I'm thrilled with the "important" stuff, but I've had fairly major issues in a couple "unimportant" areas. My AC charger has a weird issue where it won't charge the tablet if I leave it plugged in all the time. I have to unplug it for a bit, then plug it back in for it to work. I've read online that they have a common overheating issue of some sort that resets after you leave it unplugged for a bit. Annoying, but I was living with that one.

The second issue is that there's a piece of plastic in the middle of the port where you plug the power cord in that just broke off. Admittedly, I set it down somewhat awkwardly, but it wasn't THAT hard.

Anyway, it's going in for warranty service. I'm still generally happy with the purchase, but you'd think a "premium" product like this would have better QC.

Bewbies 01-29-2012 08:44 PM

I love my Fire. For reading in bed its top notch.